• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Moveset Discussions! Finished, add your thoughts if necessary.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Move #8 Jab attack

discuss

(P.s) Feeling a bit lazy, I'll update Bair later today

Edit: ..............
-Crickets-

*Cough

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Canceling either the first hit or second might land you a free smash.
Jab combo comes out pretty fast, so thats good.
The classic "three-hit" thing is always a plus.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
His fastest move, best grounded move to use defensively.

Jab cancel can work, but is avoidable if you decide to set-up for anything other than the last hit. This however, sets up for "mindgames" and whatnot.

Barge

Im leaving tommorow for 2 days, so Move #9 will have twice as long time, so I expect a lot of replies.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Im leaving tommorow for 2 days, so Move #9 will have twice as long time, so I expect a lot of replies.
And I will expect a lengthy post from you, seeing as you'll have 2 days to ponder Move #9 ;).

Since Toon's jab is pretty quick and is multi hit, it's good for close range shield pressure (if you let yourself into the situation as often as I do :ohwell:) and it can punish roll spam if you have bad timing (you can start jabbing earlier and the 2nd and or 3rd jab should hit)

All the other stuff with Jab Cancel is useful too.

Gmoney_

Smash Journeyman
Jab attack is a great move to get yourself some distance to get at the projectile spam. You can even mix it up with 2 jabs then go for a grab or something, or go with another 2 jab. His jabs can be pretty good if mixed up properly.

Alzi

Smash Master
Doing somthing after the second jab seems to work ok. I usaully go up with a side smash but going with a grab seems to be easier to land.

Barge

Move #9: Z-air!

I hope you all have fun discussing this one.

Also I need a picture, if someone could get me one, I'll love them forever

Barge

Well I guess there won't be a picture all weekend D:
I have to go, bye bye, I expect replies

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I forgot to use Z-air sometimes, mainly because I get caught up in so many other things it takes till almost the end of the match for me to realize the Z-Button is even there =/

It's really useful to stun your opponents and keep distance, that's a big fact.

It should be used right before you hit the ground as a tip for everyone. Has too much air-lag, but no landing lag thank God.

Gotta love that zear.

Edit: I'm sure others could explain it way better than me though, so have fun with this one.

Good thing it gets to stay up longer =)

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Leads to neutral air
Leads to upsmash
Leads to a bomb
No lag when landing.. Just full of win =]

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Omg, how can I forget about it leading to a grab >< But I lead it into a grab more when I first started doing it, now I mainly come out of it with a neutral air. And yes, it does greatly improve a toon links game.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Besides it being a quick and long range attack, it can also
be seen as a way to attack out of airdodge.

Ginger_Warrior

Smash Apprentice
If there were such a thing as a "combo move" in SSB, this would be TL's. You know, it just opens up so many avenues to attack the enemy, as if there weren't enough already.

I'm in the air from a SH, I can:

1) Nair/Fair forwards
2) " " " retreating
3) DA or Bomb/arrow
4) Hit you with a boomerang
5) Now I can whack you with a hookshot and cause all sorts of pain. Oh, by the way, it might also go through your shield if I do it well.

It's hard to defend against that barrage of options.

Easily TL's second-best move, closely behind Bair.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
IMO TL's second best move. Lagless, large range, large stun, alternate recovery, there is literally no[ /b] downside to this move.

Eh...

There is no usable stun to it (as in it's not going to benefit you too much). At low percents it can chain in with other moves, but in reality, its stun is very little, less than the stun of Marth's untipped aerials.

Also, you have to do it low to force an autocancel or it will lag, making it so that it's an easier telegraphed move than most. Also, only the latch is the hurtbox, meaning than can jump over it and whack you if they see it coming. Naturally some characters can punish it better than others (Game and Watch, Meta Knight, Marth, have a better time than say, Bowser, Ganondorf, or Link).

Also, it comes out slower than most aerials, so can be beaten out with enough provocative thinking on the foe's side.

But...

the move is still very sexy. Also, Majora's Mask Hookshot is ridiculous, lol.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
the rang opens up so many options its a really good projectile hits leaving and comin back.

Only downside is the lag from it.

Also I hate having to decide whether to catch it or let it go.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Boomerang catch lag can be canceled by doing any attack, shielding.

The boomerang is more useful in some matchups then others, but should be used sparingly overall. The ability to aim it so easily makes it the projectile to use if you have an opponent who moves around a lot.

The boomerang, when returning does about he amount of knockback as Zair.

Returning boomerang ->grab works everytime.

Barge

I guess I should just mention something really obvious, it can go through stages, and if it hits on its ascending flight forwards, it'll dissapear, though it can hit as many times as it wants on its way back

AkaMaruChan

Smash Cadet
I usually let the rang fly past me for the most part. If I can keep track of how long it's been since it went off screen, I don't have a problem. I don't always have the convenience of catch canceling the lag in battle. I usually never throw the rang on the ground cuz it has CRAZY lag when thrown, but I do a short hop and turn around and throw it. The boomerang is a crucial part in my play style and I try to use it whenever possible. If it hits, it does damage, if it misses, your opponent has to worry about it coming back, and if they attack cancel it, you can use it again.

Throwing it in a downwards trajectory usually works the best for some weird reason. It covers the most area so it has the most likely chance to hit.

Also, a retreating dash and then pivot rang can really help with spacing. However This only works I think in the initial dash animation. If you throw the rang after the dash animation, it will preform the pivot animation instead.

I got most of my boomerang game from Santi. What a saint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shqCX-fnSlg

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
The boomerang is my least used projectile as i usually SHDA and throw bombs all over the stage while moving. But when i have the spacing for it I dont hesitate to throw an angled boomerang while in a short hop it works wonders because it covers horizontal ground and vertical ground meaning that it is much more difficult to pass throught it making it an effective approach stopper. and if they double jump over it i can usually punish them with bairs while they are in the air. I also use it when edgeguarding some opponents if u dash towards the edge of any stage u get a small boost with the boomerang and then ur opponent will have to worry about your sword and a boomerang. By the way, im new to Smash world forums but not to TL ive been around since day 1 and have been defending him in tournaments and all. Hes just awesome ^.^. So Toon link boards u have another one.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Boomerang.

Can't live without it, can't live without it.

No catch lag if you have the right timing to dodge or attack for it.
It's way better than regular Links boomerang in most situations.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Simply walking, jumping, crouching, or running is not enough to cancel boomerang lag.

However, if it weren't for the fact that this move takes forever to come out, and end if you're at the misfortune to catch it at an inopportune time, this would literally be the best projectile imho due to its malleability to do almost anything. It has decent stun, meaning it can...

start "combos."

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I dont know what u mean by keep moving but if u run, walk or jump u will still have catch lag from the boomerang. Toon link only doesnt get catch lag if he is shielding or attacking in any way.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I guess I should rephrase that, but in a sense I meant the way you'd usually move in a heated match or when you're trying to start as stated above "combos" (rolling, spotdodging, slashing, etc.) I'll take that out anyways though.

this move takes forever to come out
I guess that's why TL is meant for mid range though. Nothing much you can do his projectile lag overall (except bombs when you're throwing them, not taking 'em out)

VietGeek

Smash Hero
All his traits best suit him for mid-range since he is only average at close and long range.

Barge

I've built a habit of throwing the rang and a bomb at the opponent at the same time in the air, it hits them quite often if they dont shield.

MOVE #11 DOWNWARD SMASH

Discuss

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
It's.... >_> a ghey move?
At the edge at least. Nice amount of damage.Probably won't be your kill move. It CAN kill though.
The second hit can be teched I think, but not many people do... <____<

iRjOn

Smash Lord
i just use it to attemp (T.Link's short sword range...) i repeat attemp to punish a spot dogde either in front or behind me...

It can kill like sasuke stated and its an ok kill move.
Dont think people really use it for that tho...
I might use as one but not on purpose...lol

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Bah, I fail at reading. Thanks iRjOn.

I love sending Lucarios off the stage with it. (if they're below 25% or something like that). It's just fun to annoy people with.

I don't spam it much. Trying to get out of bad habits.
Not the best killing move.

((whaa? the spike is guaranteed at fairly high percents. Even if they recover from it you have them where you need em.. below you.)

iRjOn

Smash Lord
@urdailywater ur mixing up down air and down smash

down smash is the slash in front and behind u

And rethink what u said a spike is a kill move...

EDIT: @urdailywater

lol np it happens...

Top Bottom