• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Although I agree with you (and personally find the blue Toad to be far more likely), he did also intentionally show pit's neutral b move before changing it.
Let's take a look at all available pictures showing Pit using his Neutral Special move...

It looks like Sakurai just added strings to Pit's bow... maybe Sakurai can add years to Peach's Toad. :troll:

Seriously though, the new pose looks the same except Pit's wings are spread out. Compare it with the one with the Villager.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Let's take a look at all available pictures showing Pit using his Neutral Special move...

It looks like Sakurai just added strings to Pit's bow... maybe Sakurai can add years to Peach's Toad. :troll:

Seriously though, the new pose looks the same except Pit's wings are spread out. Compare it with the one with the Villager.
He also tilted the bow and changed Pit's stance. Notice how his leg is in front of the bow now, instead of behind.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

................................How did I never notice this?!? 0_0

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes, I see that now... but why did Sakurai feel the need to point out how Pit's pose changed if it is barely noticeable unless you look around deep enough like we just did? Sometimes Sakurai makes updates out of mundane stuff that has been around for ages... *remembers the You Must Recover update and the Fox's Reflector update*

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Yes, I see that now... but why did Sakurai feel the need to point out how Pit's pose changed if it is barely noticeable unless you look around deep enough like we just did? Sometimes Sakurai makes updates out of mundane stuff that has been around for ages... *remembers the You Must Recover update and the Fox's Reflector update*
Because it's really the little things that make up the big picture.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
At least I can still have fun playing as Toad in New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Luigi U, and especially Super Mario 3D World whether Sakurai might or might not deprive me the opportunity to play as Toad in SSB4. Anyone else got the Mario & Luigi Deluxe Set (Wii U bundle) yet?

I cannot believe that Super Mario 3D World is actually coming in 3 weeks... I can't wait to play as Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad one by one... I used to play through Super Mario Bros. 2 with Mario only, Luigi only, Peach only, or Toad only. I am going to do that again with Super Mario 3D World! :awesome:

I am also interested about that puzzle mode where you play as Toad (the red one). The mode is called The Adventures of Captain Toad. I heard that Toad cannot jump in this mode and he must collect all green stars to clear a level... wow, it sounds similar to one of my favorite NES games when I was a child... Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle. This is the closest thing we have to Toad's own game! It is really funny when you think about it... Wario's Woods is Toad's first own game and he doesn't jump and it is a puzzle game... :)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The thing is with November (particularly November 21-22) is that there is a lot of anniversaries during that two day period.

While we get Super Mario 3D World (Toad) and A Link Between Worlds (Zelda) during those two days, we also get the Japanese anniversaries for F-Zero (Captain Falcon), Donkey Kong Country 2 (Diddy Kong), and Punch-Out (Little Mac).

We have already gone five weeks since the last character confirmation. I expect things to heat up as we get closer to the third week of November.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The thing is with November (particularly November 21-22) is that there is a lot of anniversaries during that two day period.

While we get Super Mario 3D World (Toad) and A Link Between Worlds (Zelda) during those two days, we also get the Japanese anniversaries for F-Zero (Captain Falcon), Donkey Kong Country 2 (Diddy Kong), and Punch-Out (Little Mac).

We have already gone five weeks since the last character confirmation. I expect things to heat up as we get closer to the third week of November.
I wouldn't get my hopes for Toad, even with all the Mario vets being revealed. Honestly, I'm betting the most on Zelda. Should be interesting to see her design.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It would be very disappointing if Toad isn't playable in SSB4. Nintendo seems like they are pushing Toad to the front burner. Toads are more than shopkeepers and savepoints now. Toads are not limited to supporting roles anymore. Toads are protagonists now. I feel now is the right time to add Toad as a playable character.

Pre-Brawl games
Super Mario Bros. 2 (1988)
Wario's Woods (1994)

Post-Brawl games
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009)
New Super Mario Bros. U (2012)
New Super Luigi U (2013)
Super Mario 3D World (2013)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Obviously I agree Toad deserves the spot now more than ever, but I'm expecting Falcon to be the character revealed this November, perhaps alongside Zelda.

Also seeing as how popular the Mario series is, it's probably not a bad idea to have at least one Mario newcomer per game; Wario sort of counted last time as part of the extended Mario-verse(especially in his overalls outfit), but I can't really count either Dixie or K. Rool as part of that for SSB4. I have a feeling we'll get some sort of Mario newcomer, I'm hoping it's Toad, but I'm expecting something more disappointing...like Dr. Mario as a character rather than a costume.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
It would be very disappointing if Toad isn't playable in SSB4. Nintendo seems like they are pushing Toad to the front burner. Toads are more than shopkeepers and savepoints now. Toads are not limited to supporting roles anymore. Toads are protagonists now. I feel now is the right time to add Toad as a playable character.

Pre-Brawl games
Super Mario Bros. 2 (1988)
Wario's Woods (1994)

Post-Brawl games
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009)
New Super Mario Bros. U (2012)
New Super Luigi U (2013)
Super Mario 3D World (2013)
I agree 100%. It seems like a lot of people who argue against Toad use arguments that aren't relevant anymore. During Melee's early days, if somebody made the point that Toad isn't significant enough to warrant a spot, I'd probably have to agree, honestly. But nowadays, he is more than a supporting role. These arguments are not valid anymore, yet people keep on using them!
I'd even argue that Toad is the most deserving character to become playable, even more so than *gasp* Ridley, King K. Rool, Little Mac, and Palutena. But I have a feeling that not many people would agree with me...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've become more and more okay with Toad's inclusion as time has marched on. I was a big supporter of him in the pre-Brawl days until I figured that if there was going to be another Mario rep, there was only going to be one and Geno, being my favorite video game character, took top priority. Toad's a pretty worthy candidate and has plenty going for him. 100+ game appearances, a playable character in 5 Mario canon games, stars in his own game, and playable in more than a dozen games I'd be willing to go as far that he has the most credentials of any Nintendo sidekick and even more than a lot of the characters who have already made it into Smash.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
The main point I'd bring up in favor of Toad's inclusion has probably been said before, but I'd just like to re-iterate it:
Toad is one of the only truly iconic Nintendo characters left to be added. The way that I measure how iconic a character is by how instantly recognizable they are: nearly every gamer, and more importantly, a significant amount of nongamers will definitely recognize Toad - a trait that Ridley, King K. Rool, Palutena and Little Mac do not share. Toad has been a very important character throughout the entire Mario series and is most definitely a gaming cultural icon. How could Toad not be considered a Nintendo all-star?

JUST A DISCLAIMER: I do not intend to slag Ridley, K. Rool, Palutena and Mac - they are simply examples that I use because they are the most requested characters as of right now. They are often titled as 'the most deserving newcomers', so I am simply trying to prove that they are not, in fact, the 'most deserving' - as that distinction lies with Toad. But I most certainly do not think these characters are bad in any way. In fact, I am an avid supporter of Palutena and Little Mac.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I dont want him, but if any, i imagine a peach clone, no fluttering but instead "wall-walking" abilities, faster, stronger and easy to kill.
Of course, he could absorb damage and release it as an attack.

Pre-Brawl games
You completely forgot mario kart/sports appearances and his major role in the party games.
There was also that obscure satellaview title.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I dont want him, but if any, i imagine a peach clone, no fluttering but instead "wall-walking" abilities, faster, stronger and easy to kill.
Really? I don't see how that could work for a lot of Peach's attacks. Toad's limbs do not nearly stretch as far as Peach's for him to end up being a Peach clone. A Mario clone wouldn't be as likely either, but I could see that easier than I can see Toad being compared to Peach.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Really? I don't see how that could work for a lot of Peach's attacks. Toad's limbs do not nearly stretch as far as Peach's for him to end up being a Peach clone. A Mario clone wouldn't be as likely either, but I could see that easier than I can see Toad being compared to Peach.

I dont saying all the moves, there is the fair, up tilt and up B who just dont work, but in general they do, and if he appear is the most plausible end for him.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I dont saying all the moves, there is the fair, up tilt and up B who just dont work, but in general they do, and if he appear is the most plausible end for him.
There aren't a lot of Peach's moves that would mix well with Toad, their anatomies are very different.
I just don't understand how you can only see Toad end up as a Peach clone.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Silly. Clones are clones because they have similar bodies. Ganondorf is a clone because his physique is very similar to Captain Falcon, and Falcon's moves could easily be pored to his model. No-one would be made a clone intentionally.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
There aren't a lot of Peach's moves that would mix well with Toad, their anatomies are very different.
I just don't understand how you can only see Toad end up as a Peach clone.

Dont take the word "clone" too seriusly, if it wasnt because the special moves gany wouldnt be considered a falcon clone.
Im thinking in something like "diddy-fox" but a bit closer to fox this time (is a bad example, i know).

Silly. Clones are clones because they have similar bodies.
Not really, clones are made for variety of gameplay, and Toad would give a great variety in peachs metagame.
I dont see similaritys between link/TL body, only the clothes.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Toad is very plausible to be included. Now it's just will he.

I hope so, at first I hated the ******* but hes grown on me. Partially because I can probably do his voice too ahahah : )

If not this Smash Bros, then the next. I have a hunch Sakurai is saving a Mario newcomer for us, because all of them (Except Yoshi and Wario but, C'mon, their givens) are announced, Luigi was probably unintentional but for promotion he did anyways.

Logically he should be in. Logic don't apply to Sakurai. So I don't know. I'm guessing the new year will show us more.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Dont take the word "clone" too seriusly, if it wasnt because the special moves gany wouldnt be considered a falcon clone.
Im thinking in something like "diddy-fox" but a bit closer to fox this time (is a bad example, i know).
I still can't imagine Toad more than half of Peach's normals. But I suppose we might be thinking of different things.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I like it a lot, Fatmanonice.

I really like Toad's backstory the best... it plausibly explains why everyone is Toad *Squidward video*

In about two weeks from now, I am finally going to get Super Mario 3D World... I gotta show Nintendo my support for Toad. I would love for Nintendo to make a new Mario spin-off series starring the Toad Brigade. I'd love to see these Toads having adventures in many galaxies as they aide Mario in his quest to save Peach...

Remember how in some levels in Galaxy games, Mario would have to reach Toad at the end of the level to get a Power Star... so what if... there is a Toad game where Toads need to find the Silver Stars to make one Power Star and then bring it to the end of the level where they can reward Mario with Power Stars when Mario shows up at the end of the level?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Good news Toad fans.

Wario's Woods is finally available for the 3DS Virtual Console in North America and Europe. If you are a Toad fan, you should definitely download this title ASAP.

Its definitely the title that made me a fan of Toad.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Good news Toad fans.

Wario's Woods is finally available for the 3DS Virtual Console in North America and Europe. If you are a Toad fan, you should definitely download this title ASAP.

I don't get the whole "Marth is advertising Awakening so there can't be a newcomer Awakening character because two characters can't be advertising the same game" and how that seems to be spilling over (or will soon enough) into "Peach is now advertising Super Mario 3D World so Toad can't be a newcomer character because two characters can't be advertising the same game". But it doesn't even matter, because Toad could very likely be advertising Wario's Woods now that the VC was released (and it may have been released specifically to boost Toad awareness, since it was like his Starring Role game).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Personally, I think Sakurai is still going to remind us that Super Mario 3D World is being released two weeks from now, though its probably not going to be a character unveil.

I think for Toad fans, even if he doesn't get unveiled two weeks from now, it does not de-confirm him.

However, I do think anyone going in expecting him at this point (assuming he won't be shown alongside 3D World), is setting themselves up for disappointment.

After this month, assuming Toad does not show up, I am not going to be personally expecting him anymore (though he is still a plausible contenter, in my opinion).

Anyway, I think there is a really good possibility that Sakurai is saving all the future newcomer unveils for next year, particularly for during and after E3 2014.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Good news Toad fans.

I'll download it soon... I must let Nintendo know that Toad has fans. I'll also fill out the survey on Club Nintendo and request Nintendo to keep including Toad as a playable character in future main Mario games. I probably should also download Super Mario Bros. 2 for the same reason. I'll use that game to hype for Super Mario 3D World and let Nintendo know that Toad is my favorite character in this game. I want Nintendo to keep Toad prominent in the main Mario games to the point he is a honorary "Mario Brother".

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Pretty much this ^

Having expected Toad twice now only to be shot down, I'm pretty much a veteran of the disappointment. Still with Wario's Woods and SMB3DW coming out with two Toads(with differing playstyles no less!) it's looking pretty good for Toad fans in general...just not in Smash.

One thing you can say for being a Toad supporter; it's never boring:

Pro Toad: Peach is revealed pre-3D world tie-in release! Toad's the only other character playable!
Anti Toad: Oh, but she's using Toad counter...
Pro Toad: OH! But Sakurai said her moveset was getting some refreshing!
Anti Toad: But then why go to the trouble of showing the one special that includes Toad just to change it?
Pro Toad: Oh! Sakurai is altering the looks of the moves we've already seen in screenshot!
Anti-ish Toad: But altering the model to Toadsworth is different to simply adding some strings... Still! A palette swap would be fricking easy! But which Toad would be palette swapped?
Pro Toad: Toon Link is revealed to be part of the stage AND a playable character! Toad could be likewise! Especially since there's multiple of him!
Anti Toad: Peach is revealed to be a tie in character to 3D World two months after her initial reveal. Toad is unlikely to be revealed as a tie-in promotion.

Emotional rollercoaster; the life of being a Toad supporter.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Good news Toad fans.

I already have on Wii VC.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Emotional rollercoaster; the life of being a Toad supporter.
Yeah, that's exactly how I am feeling right now... sometimes I think we have it worse than the Ridley supporters. Yes, Sakurai trolls Ridley supporters by teasing them with these Ridley-less Pyrosphere pictures after casually mentioning Samus's long time enemy could appear at any second.... Sakurai trolls Toad supporters by deconfirming Toad right away and giving us false hope by saying that Peach would get a new moveset and reminding us that these pictures are not finalized and when we had hope that Toad would be revealed when Super Mario 3D World comes out, Sakurai decides after two months to use Peach to retroactively advertise Super Mario 3D World, leaving Toad with nothing.

I don't understand why people act like it is not the same as the Toon Link situation... people thought he was deconfirmed because of the Spirit Tracks stage but that was a different Toon Link... the playable Toon Link is the one from The Wind Waker... there are many Toads with red spots and blue vests and people act like there is only one Toad with red spots and blue vest. :urg:

Only way Toad can get in is if well, if he ACTUALLY IS IN ALREADY or if he's still in the making or well yeah. Kinda impossible at this point.

But then again, the art of surprise.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Looks like Nintendo considers Wario's Woods to be more of Toad's game than Wario's as well.

From the 3DS Virtual Console description:

"Remember Toad, our little mushroom friend who made his first appearance in Super Mario Bros. 2? Well, this time he is the star of the game!"

Interesting how they consider his debut to have been Super Mario Bros. 2. I guess that marks the debut of an adventurous Toad as opposed to the retainers that appeared in Super Mario Bros.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
There was a time when toad was getting his own adventures like yoshi did later, but in a point they simply stop.
I wonder why, he gets his mario party moments but still... i guess he never was enough popular, nowadays he could been an arabian nintendo hero or something.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Looks like Nintendo considers Wario's Woods to be more of Toad's game than Wario's as well.

From the 3DS Virtual Console description:

"Remember Toad, our little mushroom friend who made his first appearance in Super Mario Bros. 2? Well, this time he is the star of the game!"

Interesting how they consider his debut to have been Super Mario Bros. 2. I guess that marks the debut of an adventurous Toad as opposed to the retainers that appeared in Super Mario Bros.
That is very interesting, indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom