• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad Discussion

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Toad fought in SMB2. :o

Gosh, all of this bias against Toad has really made me realize how sad this forum can really be. Here I see all of the mature Toad fans, and then I see all of the anti Toad people going in every topic related to playable characters, Peach, Brawl Graveyard whatever and not giving up their chance to bash Toad and the people who wanted him in.

*sighs*

Also I'd really like to know how somebody could doubled post 2 minutes apart. -_-

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I love how, even when I post a sensible criticism of the immature postings of other members, we still get a page full of senseless banter. Way to make Smashboards a forum for intelligent discussion, guys. =/

This thread is not closing any time soon. As stated before, the threads for Deoxys and Samurai Goro have both remained open long after their respective deconfirmations.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Hey. I'll have to keep it short because I'm just in an internet cafe since my own connection's gone for a while, and I haven't read the new posts yet, buuuut... I could already smell them coming miles away when I saw today's update.

I just want to say that I'm sorry for the Toad fans. I was never much of a supporter of him, although he does have potential. I mostly defended him because I think he deserves some respect. And he does.
Also, I defended him because his fans are awesome.

I assume there are people bashing them.
Stop it.
You're just making fools out of yourselves.
How would you like all the fans with disappointed expectations to make a list of YOUR favourites to laugh in your face if they are deconfirmed, huh...?

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Hey. I'll have to keep it short because I'm just in an internet cafe since my own connection's gone for a while, and I haven't read the new posts yet, buuuut... I could already smell them coming miles away when I saw today's update.

I just want to say that I'm sorry for the Toad fans. I was never much of a supporter of him, although he does have potential. I mostly defended him because I think he deserves some respect. And he does.

Stop it.
How would you like all the fans with disappointed expectations to make a list of YOUR favourites to laugh in your face if they are deconfirmed, huh...?
Much obliged, my friend. It's just disappointing that a character support thread has been demoralized and defaced into a bashfest. You would expect people to have better things to do than mock others for supporting a character. :dizzy:

(Side note: My connection was out much of last week, too. Hope your connection gets fixed soon! In the meantime, enjoy some coffee).

digifreak642

Smash Journeyman
Responding to Aeris

There has been so many posts that any efforts to multiquote would be in vain due to the sheer volume of posting. Instead, I will make a few statements.

1) Kudos to anyone still keeping the dream alive! The "Toad for Brawl" banner will not leave my sig until December 3rd. Sure, his possibilities of being a PC seem remote at best as of right now, but the possibility exists nonetheless. Peach has a plethora of Mushroom Retainers at her side; her "Toad defense" could be any one of a generic cluster of Toads, not just Kinopio (THE Toad). My fingers are still crossed.

2) Misto-Roboto?! Dude, I haven't seen you on here in forever! It's a pleasure. And thanks for your support! Hopefully cooler heads will prevail.

3) I am floored at the amount of insipid posts we have received as of late. Not only are we being bombarded with the "duhhhh I dunno what Toad's moveset would be, George, nope, no moveset" posts, but also the "LOLZ TODA DECOMFIRMDED!1!!!1 !" posts. This thread has become a favorite haunt of the unimaginative, the nondescript, and the immature. It's appalling!

As far as today's update goes, we know one thing: Peach has a Mushroom Retainer at her behest who will defend her and serve as a counter to an opponent's attacks. Everything else is still merely speculation. Some may call it "naïve", but it's really rooted in what is factual. Sakurai has not explicitly stated, like with ATs and Pokéball characters, that Toad will not be playable. Peach uses A Toad, not necessarily THE Toad. Assumptions are welcome, but do not present them as "proof" of your omniscience. Unless your name is Masahiro Sakurai, your opinion is just that--an opinion, neither better nor worse than the opinion of anyone else in this thread.
1. I really hope that you're right in that Toad still has a chance. But his chances seem very bad right now...

3. When their characters get de-confirmed, they won't want us to make fun of them.

4. I love how this is the one time when Toad being generic may be a good thing for us. Because if that is a generic Toad, then THE Toad can be playable!

Keep hoping, Aeris!

Now that Toad's chances have been greatly diminished, I don't know who I should support for being my main. I want Sonic, but he already has enough fans. I also support Diddy, but I'm not as passionate about him. Hmmmm....

Wiseguy

Smash Champion

Stop it.
I agree. Let's not speak ill of the dead.

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
I think it´d be hilarious if, on Monday, Kinopio was confirmed as playable.

WE WOULD PARTY HARD.

But more seriously, I´m sorry to see that Toad is pretty much deconfirmed. I think he deserved a spot in SSBB more than many characters who probably going to actually get it (Bowser Jr., Krystal), but when I saw that Peach hadn´t gotten her umbrella from SPP I was pretty sure that this would occur. Oh, well.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I think it´d be hilarious if, on Monday, Kinopio was confirmed as playable.

WE WOULD PARTY HARD.
If only it were that nice! I'm keeping my fingers crossed until the day of release. :)

Thanks to all of those sensible-minded people who refrain from bashing and adding moronic messages to the thread just to up their post count. Whether or not Toad is "officially" deconfirmed (I say no), there will still be plenty of discussion going on in this thread. I will make sure of it.

Really, though, as long as Petey Piranha doesn't make it in instead of Toad, I'll be okay. Bowser Jr. and/or Paper Mario would be annoying as well. I would be thrilled to see one of--if not ALL of--the Koopalings, though. Same concept as PT, just with 7 different choices. Toadsworth would be just as enticing.

In any case, the speculation will continue until more information is available. Who is to say that there won't be an Event in which Peach faces off against Bowser, and when the player uses Peach's B move, Toad leaps out and begins to fight on his own? It's a possible unlock scenario, albeit a mere possibility.

digifreak642

Smash Journeyman
If Toad isn't playable, I don't think any other new Mario characters except for Wario will be playable. Before Brawl, Wario and Toad were the only main Mario characters that weren't playable, and you can't put someone like Bowser Jr. in before Toad.

Edit to respond to Aeris:

If only it were that nice! I'm keeping my fingers crossed until the day of release.

Thanks to all of those sensible-minded people who refrain from bashing and adding moronic messages to the thread just to up their post count. Whether or not Toad is "officially" deconfirmed (I say no), there will still be plenty of discussion going on in this thread. I will make sure of it.

Really, though, as long as Petey Piranha doesn't make it in instead of Toad, I'll be okay. Bowser Jr. and/or Paper Mario would be annoying as well. I would be thrilled to see one of--if not ALL of--the Koopalings, though. Same concept as PT, just with 7 different choices. Toadsworth would be just as enticing.

In any case, the speculation will continue until more information is available. Who is to say that there won't be an Event in which Peach faces off against Bowser, and when the player uses Peach's B move, Toad leaps out and begins to fight on his own? It's a possible unlock scenario, albeit a mere possibility.
Lol, all 7 Koopalings would be weird because some of them would almost never be played. And 7 movesets for one character? That would be strenuous. None of the Koopalings by themselves would work, since none of them are important enough.

But good idea nevertheless.

I would really like to see your idea:

Peach has to face TWO Bowsers, and she is all alone. So in a cut scene she pulls out Toad and he works with her, as a computer. If you beat the Bowsers, you will suddenly be transported to the Mario Kart stage where you fight to unlock Toad. After unlocking Toad there is a cut scene in which Toadsworth decides to be Peach's B-move.

But that seems a bit far-fetched. A fan can hope!

Star105

Smash Journeyman
it would be hilarious if next week Toad is confirmed............. imagine a pic with peach vs. Toad. and peach using her B move.

i would laugh so hard at that.

i hope but his chances are diminished so..........oh well.

Fawriel

Smash Master
it would be hilarious if next week Toad is confirmed............. imagine a pic with peach vs. Toad. and peach using her B move.

i would laugh so hard at that.
I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to post this update only to set up that punchline.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
If Toad isn't playable, I don't think any other new Mario characters except for Wario will be playable. Before Brawl, Wario and Toad were the only main Mario characters that weren't playable, and you can't put someone like Bowser Jr. in before Toad.
Wario's appearance and icon indicate that he isn't a Mario representative, but a rep of the Warioware series. With Toad highly unlikely at this point, I think some other character from the Mario series should replace Dr. Mario. Bowser Jr. (the villian in recent hits like Paper Mario Sunshine and New Super Mario Bros.) is a fine choice. Geno could also be a possibility.

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
I love how, even when I post a sensible criticism of the immature postings of other members, we still get a page full of senseless banter. Way to make Smashboards a forum for intelligent discussion, guys. =/
You act as if Smashboards hasn't had more than it's share of ******** threads. Metapod for Brawl, anyone? =/

Also, I was against putting Toad as a PC, but I never actually bashed him or any Toad supporters.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Personally, I think Mario itself shouldn't have too many reps BECAUSE it has spawned so many spin-off series... a lot of the characters from other series could be seen as half-reps of Mario, if you will. That should count for something. Being the only series with a few thousand spin-offs represented, I think it would still do Mario justice even if there are more Triforces and Pokeballs than Mushrooms.

digifreak642

Smash Journeyman
Wario's appearance and icon indicate that he isn't a Mario representative, but a rep of the Warioware series. With Toad highly unlikely at this point, I think some other character from the Mario series should replace Dr. Mario. Bowser Jr. (the villian in recent hits like Paper Mario Sunshine and New Super Mario Bros.) is a fine choice. Geno could also be a possibility.
I know that he is representing the Warioware series, but he originated as a Mario character.

But anyways, I know Geno is very popular, but in the history of Nintendo he hasn't had a big enough role. He was one of your partners is one game and made a cameo in another. I admit that he would be cool... but.... I don't see him being playable in Brawl. Unless Sakurai really likes him...

And Bowser Jr... No comment.

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
Even with my mind set of expecting the worst and currently accepting that Toad chances of being a playable PC at this point is really low, I'll still bring up counter arguments about people claiming Toad can't fight or is a minor character. There's still a positive thing still going for Toad, him showing up on the poll (once), but otherwise, I'm not gonna expect him to show, despite kinda wanting to see Sakurai mind game people once again.

One of the main reasons I wanted to see Toad is because I think it would have fit perfectly in "the top eight" Mario characters. In no particular order, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Bowser, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Wario. Not to mention I believe he's one of the most important characters in Mario history, at least compared to the suggestions I see of some of the newer characters.

And speaking of "********" topics, there's a difference between those and joke topics, which I believe Metapod fell in the latter.

awesome

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this was already mentioned, but what about Charizard? If he appears in a pokeball, wouldn't that mean Toad could be a B-move and a PC?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Yeah, I find it ridiculous that now that Toad has been deconfirmed these people that didn't want him in get real arrogant and start throwing out their illogical reasonings like they're a fact.

"He can't fight"? Um... yeah. Anybody who wants to state that should go play Super Mario Bros. 2.

I'm sure Sakurai had a different reasoning for Toad not being playable, he's not stupid and ignorant.

Modest_Egoist

Smash Journeyman
CT's worst Peach. Float Cancelling... what's that?
Sorry if this was already mentioned, but what about Charizard? If he appears in a pokeball, wouldn't that mean Toad could be a B-move and a PC?
That's a retty big IF though. Personally, it wouldnt make sense to me to have the same character be a PC and item.

But if it were true, what about the other ATs, like Samurai Goroh or Knuckle Joe?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Nicely put, Mr. Aeris. I do agree that it would seem that delegating a Toad retainer as one of Peach's moves does seem to lessen his chances, but it hardly means that it's THE Toad. I kind of wish she used Toadsworth, though. I'm a little surprised they kept the move at all, since I got the feeling that people on a whole thought it wasn't too great. Along with the explosive hip thrusting action.

Sorry that you guys are being bombarded by idiots. Fight on, Kinopio for Brawl!

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Geno >>>>> Bowser Jr. >>> Assorted Mario Characters >>>>>>>>>>>> ... (infinite) >>>>>>>> Petey Piranha.

That's a rough and hyperbolic series of inequalities mashed into one. Really, though, I could tolerate Bowser Jr. and I would actually like to see Geno. If Geno takes the only other Mario spot (essentially what was Doc's), then I will be okay.

You act as if Smashboards hasn't had more than it's share of ******** threads. Metapod for Brawl, anyone? =/

Also, I was against putting Toad as a PC, but I never actually bashed him or any Toad supporters.
It's not you, necessarily. It was more of a general criticism of the folk that were coming in recently. I don't agree with your opinions, but I don't think of you as a spamming fool.

The thing about any forum is that you will always find your share of n00bs and spammers. What makes Smashboards different is that I can generally find people with whom I can intelligently discuss Sakurai's updates, possible characters, our inferences about new information, etc., a true step above most other forums that I have visited.

(And yeah, Metapod for Brawl was a joke topic, if I'm not mistaken).

That's a retty big IF though. Personally, it wouldnt make sense to me to have the same character be a PC and item.

But if it were true, what about the other ATs, like Samurai Goroh or Knuckle Joe?
The difference here is that Sakurai explicitly stated that we should "ear in mind, though, that [we] can’t control any of the characters appearing on [the Assist Trophy] pages. Let there be no mistake about that."

On the other hand, Kinopio has not been confirmed as an Assist Trophy yet. Peach has plenty of Mushroom Retainers (as we have seen since the days of Super Mario Bros.), so her B move could be any one of those Toads.

EDIT: Thanks very much, qdMbp! I agree that Toadsworth would seem the more logical choice, seeing as he is her personal servant / relative / old Mushroom guy. The B move CAN be very useful if used for a surprise counter, but it cannot be used consistently with the expctation of a victory. If any move needs to go, though, it's the Peach Bomber. There's just no basis for it.

NeoSoul

Smash Journeyman
lawlXxorz at this thread still getting hits.... toad would have a boring move list, nothing against the character, cool in mario kart... but I bet about 5% of the people requesting him would actually CONSCIDER having Toad as their main character... :|

its coinscidentally funny to see the thread fall apart all over ONE little screenshot and how butt-hurt fans get... I want grey fox in brawl SO BAD but I've already spent my many nights in vigil and after months of therapy I have learned to cope with the fact that he will at least be an alt for solid snake :******:

haha COME ON people

thats all BOO YA! (>0_0)>

thread closed

oh and isnt kinopio= the toad SPECIES in japan..... just a thought

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
thread closed
No, there is still intelligent discussion in here outside of all of the "lol, pwned", "HA! Toad's not in the game! Geno and Mallow confirmed!" "Toad would have made a terrible character." You name it.

I don't have any hope for Toad. I honestly don't know why Sakurai did that. As I said in a different topic, he could have at least removed Toad from Peach's shield. That's kind of degrading him, you know? He should have at least have been an AT, though he deserved to be a PC.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I've read the past few pages, and the amount of immaturity I saw was staggering. What is wrong with people? Why do you think it's okay to act like jerks? Were you all attacked by fungus as children? Yikes.

Anyway, the wishful side of me has this hunch that Sakurai may have revealed Peach's B move in this way to, once again, mind game us. Why didn't he wait to show us this in Peach's moveset? That would've drawn out the suspense a bit, right? Instead, he just kind of casually mentioned it. It's almost too obvious. ¬__¬

But again, that's just my wishful thinking.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i actually thought he was flaunting toad in from of us, going "hahaha, hes not playable". i wouldn't be suprised if every picture was of her pulling toad out

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
i actually thought he was flaunting toad in from of us, going "hahaha, hes not playable". i wouldn't be suprised if every picture was of her pulling toad out
That'd just be cruel.

He's rubbed things in our faces before though. *flashback to the "this one's a favorite" comment about Deoxys*

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i remember seeing deoxys and going "yes he's in!" and then i realized he was pokeballed. i was so unbelievably pissed that day. it does seem like he likes to torture us, but then again ike and PT are awesome so this game will still be incredibly good

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I never wanted Deoxy's in it, He sounded like the stupidest Pokemon idea I've seen since Grimer.
I dislike Deoxys as well.

It's just that Sakurai has a history of being kind of cruel, and Deoxys is a decent example of that.

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
Toad fought in SMB2. :o

Gosh, all of this bias against Toad has really made me realize how sad this forum can really be. Here I see all of the mature Toad fans, and then I see all of the anti Toad people going in every topic related to playable characters, Peach, Brawl Graveyard whatever and not giving up their chance to bash Toad and the people who wanted him in.

*sighs*

Also I'd really like to know how somebody could doubled post 2 minutes apart. -_-

Heres my reply, Toad only jumped on peoples heads and picked out Turnips, just like Peach, Mario, and Luigi in that game. Peach copy anyone? >_>

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Heres my reply, Toad only jumped on peoples heads and picked out Turnips, just like Peach, Mario, and Luigi in that game. Peach copy anyone? >_>
Um... Peach copy? Have you never played the game? The characters each had their differences. Peach could float, Mario was... good all around, Luigi had his jump, and Toad was stronger then the rest, but had a bad jump.

Top Bottom