• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Those that Oppose the Gameplay Changes

Sliq

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3VQyta-cfc&mode=related&search=

Aniki beat Ken without WD'ing once. I know this video is old, but that doesn't chane the fact that Ken lost to a player who didn't WD. If you didn't know, Aniki recently took first place in a Japanese tournament playing Link and Samus, and from what I hear, he only WD's with Samus to edgehog.

I'm going to make it my life's mission to beat Joe Bushman with Link and not WD once. This seems to be realistic, considering I play Joe at EVERY tournament we both go to.

Of course, Joe will never find out about this challenege bacuase he is never on smashboards.

Edit: Ken still won the set, but Aniki did give him trouble.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
I won. =P

Against his Marth, Jiggs and Peach. This is PEACH, mind you, not the best matchup for a fox without waveshine. Wavedashing doesn't make or break a player, it certainly helps him, but he's developed his style without wavedash I say yay you. My style uses wavedash, so it's harder for me to win without it. Yet I still won.
You beat the boss? How does that prove anything? He didn't do that well in those results you posted.

Overswarm has pretty much been right about what he's been saying.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
Plus, you're just saying you beat him, so even if he was any good we would have no reason to believe you.

This thread started out about gameplay changes. Then turned to adv. techs. then to wding specifically. I say, you need adv. techs. to beat anyone good, and that can't really be argued against, so stop trying to defend your flawed and heavily disproved point of view. For the benefit if this argument, I will list comments that should no longer be used to argue:

- "I can beat my friends without adv. techs."
Basically it doesn't matter, since anyone can beat scrubs without plugging in the controller.
- "Wavedashing is a glitch and makes people be better because they do it, not because they play their character well."
It is simply wrong to think this way. Wavedashes are an aspect of any character, like jumps or rolls, and to learn and apply it spurs a deeper knowledge of all the options any given characters has in any of the infinite number of situations that arise in battle. So it's a "glitch", get over it. It doesn't break the game and doesn't win matches for you.
- " 'Elitists' ruin the game for everyone, their preferences for playing make smash like all other 2d fighters."
It should be noted that, by "elitists", scrubs mean skilled players. We don't ruin the game for anyone, since last I heard, people can play however they want. The rules for competitive play are only applied when a competitive atmosphere is desired. By eliminating the random properties of items, and the potential for cheapness in certain levels, the skill of the players in actual combat is emphasized, and the margin for error reduced. Finally, smash is never like any other fighter, and to say that is just foolish. I feel like pulling out all the ways smash is different is dumb and unnecessary, so I will leave them as a given.
- Any reference to the "majority" of smashers, those who don't know of/use adv. techs. as the ones whose desires should be fulfilled in the making of Brawl.
We know Nintendo is a business, and that they will look for ways to make the biggest profits. However, most of the people who play competitively feel that their wishes should be somewhat taken into account, since it is us who made the community so successful, with all the national and international tournaments hosting cash prizes up in the thousands. If they don't take us into consideration, and Brawl is dumbed down from Melee, then I, at least, will understand. I just hope they don't ruin a masterpiece. So in short, I acknowledge Nintendo's best economic interests playing a big factor in how the game develops, however I will feel like they took a huge **** on the most loyal fans of the franchise by making Brawl just another shallow party game.
-"Wavedashing is hard and I have a life."
Wavedashing takes very little time to learn, but a lot more to use correctly. Basically, when you want to be good at something, you practice. If you don't practice and are terrible, then it's your own **** fault, do not blame more dedicated people for your failure. Besides, if you have the time to argue about wavedashing on a message board, then you certainly have enough free time in your "life" to try and learn it.

full_95

Smash Journeyman
L-cancelling, as has been repeatedly said, is the only "essential" advanced tech. wavedashing/landing is the main one in question here. correct me if im wrong, most of the people who are opposed to it, probably dont know how to do it well or implement it into battle efficiently. before i beat wavedashing into my fingers after many hours and days of toil in training mode, i was also opposed to it. but after i got good at it, i found so many different uses for the WD. unless all these people whining about WDing know how to do it (at which point i would feel like a douche bag), i say to them, dont knock it until you try it.

a point that was brought up in the original post was the tournament/competitive rules that govern most smashers. like how only a few levels (non-moving, relatively small, etc...) are used in competitive smash. similarly, items are turned off for competetive matches. people said that this takes away from the original purpose of the game to be a "beat the crap out of everybody" type game. i think the reason for this is that, for competetive matches, i dont want to see people just using items to fight, or using the level to their advantage. the point of competetive smash is to erase all of these factors that "even the playing field" and let the smashers smash. it is more about who is the most technically proficient, and who can screw with his/her opponent's head the most, and less about who gets the pokeball/bomb-omb/ beam sword/homerun bat/heart container etc.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
a point that was brought up in the original post was the tournament/competitive rules that govern most smashers. like how only a few levels (non-moving, relatively small, etc...) are used in competitive smash. similarly, items are turned off for competetive matches. people said that this takes away from the original purpose of the game to be a "beat the crap out of everybody" type game. i think the reason for this is that, for competetive matches, i dont want to see people just using items to fight, or using the level to their advantage. the point of competetive smash is to erase all of these factors that "even the playing field" and let the smashers smash..
I will apologize in advance for being an *** but way to restate exactly what the user above you already mentioned.

full_95

Smash Journeyman
I will apologize in advance for being an *** but way to restate exactly what the user above you already mentioned.
haha, thats funny, that post wasn't up when i was writing mine. the last post i saw before i started writing was that dude with the crazy hair on his sig. pope must have posted that as i was writing. i like where your head's at pope *gives a riteous thumbs up*

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Guys, I'm not trying to say that WD is useless. On the contrary, I believe that it is very useful and that it does add layers to the game. It makes it more fluid, but L-cancel is what makes the game FASTER. I prefer speed over fluidity, but oftentimes those two come hand in hand. What I'm saying is that you guys aren't just attacking typical scrubs, you're attacking Kenny, who by his own statement uses advanced techs. You're lumping him in with the rest, and that's something I won't stand for. I'll stay here until the fire's been fought.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
Who cares if Kenny uses advanced techs or not? What is being brought against him are the facts that he thinks you can be "pro" without using advanced techniques, and also he thinks he is "pro". He seems to misunderstand what it means to be a pro. This is not about lumping him in with scrubs because of the techs he can or can't do, rather because he thinks similarly to how most scrubs here think regarding advanced techniques.

And before someone brings up the whole Aniki argument, I'm going to preemptively shoot it down. Aniki does not wavedash with Samus, which most Samus players would never dream of doing, but he does l-cancel, missile cancel, bomb jump, ccc, etc. Those are all advanced techniques that he uses which, combined with his amazing knack for safeness and great zoning, as well as patience, make him as great as he is. Anyone that thinks he wins just because of "mindgames" doesn't know very much at all about this game.

Skill is not measured by the amount of adv. techs you perform. However, skill almost always leads to the realization that advanced techniques will never hurt to learn and master.

JJC

Smash Cadet
Guys, I'm not trying to say that WD is useless. On the contrary, I believe that it is very useful and that it does add layers to the game. It makes it more fluid, but L-cancel is what makes the game FASTER. I prefer speed over fluidity, but oftentimes those two come hand in hand. What I'm saying is that you guys aren't just attacking typical scrubs, you're attacking Kenny, who by his own statement uses advanced techs. You're lumping him in with the rest, and that's something I won't stand for. I'll stay here until the fire's been fought.
I've watched video's of both Aniki and Ken and I must say, THAT is how pro smash should be played. With each battle you can see exactly what they are tryingto do and they don't mindlessly short hop around trying to look fancy and super fast. They only do what is nescesary to win. It doesn't look like ******** smash. Whenever i see wannabe pro's play it makes me cringe how often they actually try to make wavedashing and short hopping useful but fail and end up looking like gimps. Sometimes, in a fast paced game like Melee, you have to slow down to actually realise how to win. Rushing can only get you so far.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
My computer has been broke for several days. Alright, I am going to admit that my argument at the beginning was completely stupid and didn't make a hint of sense, mainly because people like Overswarm and Pope think I am a scrub and act superior. My definition of pro is someone that does use adv. techs well but isn't required to use all of them. If someone without skill uses adv. techs against a player (who does but in this case doesn't) who is skillful, the more skillful one will win despite the lack of adv. techs. What I am saying is that using adv. techs doesn't mean you are more skillful then everyone that doesn't. Skill is the measure of whether you are pro or not, and adv. techs don't. I am not saying they are not useful, I am saying that they don't matter without skill.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
Well that's not a very good definition of a pro. I would lean more towards those at the top 10% in the competitive community, who regularly attend and win tournaments and make money along the way. That is, after all, what being a professional at something means; to dedicate yourself to and (usually) obtain material rewards from your craft. Most scrubs use adv. techs., by your definition they would all be pros.

And to make it clear, I don't care about being superior to you or not. I say you sound like a scrub because you sound like a scrub. You're losing an argument and are looking to ridicule its validity by claiming your opponents have a superiority complex. It's a lame old trick and most everyone sees right through it.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Well that's not a very good definition of a pro. I would lean more towards those at the top 10% in the competitive community, who regularly attend and win tournaments and make money along the way. That is, after all, what being a professional at something means; to dedicate yourself to and (usually) obtain material rewards from your craft. Most scrubs use adv. techs., by your definition they would all be pros.

And to make it clear, I don't care about being superior to you or not. I say you sound like a scrub because you sound like a scrub. You're losing an argument and are looking to ridicule its validity by claiming your opponents have a superiority complex. It's a lame old trick and most everyone sees right through it.
When did I say that anyone who uses adv. techs are instantly pro? I said that adv. techs are only one part of being a pro and that your skill should define you. If I used a character and had adv. techs against someone using the same character and adv. techs then the person with superior skill would win. What I am saying is don't let adv. techs be the measuring stick for defining who is a pro and who isn't.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Here's another statement that I think needs to be said.

No one cares about the noobs. So what if this game wont be as appealing to them? There are libraries of other games for them to play. Why do the one's dedicated to such a high level of play have to suffer? (I'm not speaking with money in mind, of course. Nintendo is in the market to make money.)

"Wah, wah! Wave dashing is cheating! I can learn to use it in twenty minutes, but instead I ban others from using it rather than working hard! Marth is cheap!"

Edit: For the record, I do like Advanced Tactics, but I wont care too much if they are gone. I'm just sick of all the noobs.
And some guy -repped me with:
Some doofus said:
sigh. id esplain how your an idiot, but your unfounder arrogance would not let you understand.
I usually don't care when people -rep me, but this is just sad, and I'd like everyone to see it.

Reply to the -rep: In other words, you couldn't think of a good argument and had to call me ignorant in a pathetic attempt to come out the winner. :p

Chi-ka pwned!

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
And some guy -repped me with:

I usually don't care when people -rep me, but this is just sad, and I'd like everyone to see it.

Reply to the -rep: In other words, you couldn't think of a good argument and had to call me ignorant in a pathetic attempt to come out the winner. :p

Chi-ka pwned!
Lol. Someone -repped me and misspelled "probably" while calling me stupid at the same time. Good times, good times... Or was it "probability?" Whatever. I already said that my first argument was ignorant and my new argument almost completely agrees with you guys so why the hell are we still argueing? Upon closer inspection, I found out that this thread is a haven for flaming so instead of staying I'll be on my merry way.

BladeofKeyZ

Smash Rookie
Be prepared to float!

Anyone noticed how the direct feed video of Brawl from Nintendo World was sped up? Of course you all have...

Or maybe the video prior to it was slowed down. :confused:

Or maybe Sakurai took back what he said. It's for the best I guess, the game doesn't look like it will attract anyone outside of the Melee Circle. Maybe some Snake fans.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
The "advanced techniques" just seem like programming glitches to me...
Only wavedashng would fall under that catagory. But why should it being a glitch matter? It makes the game more fun and more challenging. There is absolutely no downside to it being in the game, except for a few nublets who cant handle it because they wont take ten minutes to learn it.

Edit: I know some people learned it and didn't like it, but I would encourage the rest of you to stick with it. It takes ten minutes to learn, but about a week of play using it to get good. Dont quit. You can do it.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I dont thnk it's possible not to have DI in the game. :) Without it, we'd only be able to jump up and down and not move while doing so. As you can see in the trailer, there is DI.

Dragonstar101

Smash Journeyman
I dont thnk it's possible not to have DI in the game. :) Without it, we'd only be able to jump up and down and not move while doing so. As you can see in the trailer, there is DI.

No I mean like ssb64 DI vs. ssbm DI....

Yeah.....

Edit: I hope they don't go back to the N64 days!!!

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Meh, they still seem like they were un-intended. :-P
I dont see how that matters in the slightest.

Edit: Time for another analogy!

Say a teacher wanted to make a True or False test. The rules stated that if it was true, you put True; if it's false, put False. The teacher, however, intended originally that the students needed to correct the wrong sentences.

Everyone passes with flying colors and calls it the easiest test they had ever taken. The teacher fails everyone for not following his instructions versus the test's ones.

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
While you bring up some good points, in reality, I think, you're missing some things.

Wavedashing: Wavedashing being removed won't be the end of the world. However, having advanced but simplistic technical skills like this is a good thing, not a bad one. People are entitled to play however they'd like, but with a competitive fighting game technical skills like this are fine as they're only brought out by competitive players – ordinary players won't ever encounter it, so it doesn't affect the baseline gameplay while improving gameplay for the hardcore who are willing to sink the time to practice advanced skills. I think it’s a good thing to have around, but I won't mind if it is gone. Same goes for L-cancelling, whose removal would also make the game easier to balance and make random brokenness far less likely, but would again cut a technical skill which the average player doesn't encounter as much. However, given the greater visibility of these techniques, their corrosive effects on gameplay would be far greater with Super Smash Brothers Brawl than with its predecessor because more people are aware of them – people aren't likely to play a game they have to spend 20 hours to learn how to play at a level where they have even a chance of taking off more than one stock from the average opponent or where a character or two makes all their favorite characters unplayable.

The removal of items is because smashers are apparently an extremely risk-adverse group; in reality, a lot of items don't make the game unfair. I think the point of exploding capsules/boxes is well taken, though, and as long as they're around I can't really see supporting them as they swing the game a lot. While this is actually alright, in a 2-of-3, a swingy item like this is problematic. If items all show up with the same probability and there's no exploding capsules, then I think removing them is removing an important aspect of the game. Randomness isn't really an issue; look at Magic, one of the most popular competitive games out there. In the long run, stuff like this evens out, and over a 2-of-3 it should be fine.

The levels issue is largely a function of a small group of players rising to predominance first and setting the rules. In reality, Final Destination is just not a balanced level, yet it is one of the six standard stages in most tournaments. Why? Because that group rose up first and some of the brokenness of that stage wasn't initially apparent. It makes certain strategies far more effective than they really should be. If it was not one of the standard stages, it probably wouldn't change the tier lists but it'd certainly make a number of top characters worse and a number of the low-tier characters better, such as the characters who auto-lose to Sheik if they get grabbed on that stage. A lot of the stages are reasonably fair, and I think a lot of people are just unwilling to put in the time to master certain stages, such as Big Blue, which is the favorite level of about half the people I play with. The moving stages force different strategies onto players, which is a good thing, not a bad one, and makes for more variety in play and strategy – those people who never play on stages other than FD don't deserve an advantage built-in to tournaments any more than people who never play any stage other than Big Blue do. However, this issue has nothing to do with the game and everything to do with a certain group of tournament players who may or may not lose some of their dominance if tilt-slapping, chain grabbing, waveshining, ect. lose some of their effectiveness because the levels don't support them as well. Would the tier lists be different if Poke Floats was the only level on random? I don't know. But it would change things, as would FD not being a standard random stage, or if the set of random stages was different.

All that being said, certain stages and items are quite unfun for competitive play. Super stars, full life refills (and maxim tomatos, to a lesser degree), cloaking devices, giant mushrooms, bombs, poke balls, and some other items just aren't good for a competitive game as they're too swingy – a normal item should give you an edge, but shouldn't take a full stock off your opponent. Flat zone is just too small for a stage, and is abusable; same goes for Hyrule Castle (which is a very fun stage), Fourside (again, pretty fun), and Yoshi 64 (which is actually a great stage, but the second cloud on the right turns it from fun into unfun in competitive play). Maybe Big Blue is exploitable, but I've never heard a way in which it is abusive.

gnosis said:
The wavedash is ******* not the divider between good players and bad players. It just isn't, and it's absolute ignorance to say otherwise. Getting rid of it will not bring everyone down to the same basic skill level, not even close. Where do you even get that idea? There's a mountain of things that separate a pro from a newb over just jumping and airdodging. And how is it that using wavedashing compromises your 'actual' skill? Wavedashing takes skill to use properly. Not merely the technical aspect, but the application as well. Wavedashing is a conduit for skill, and proper usage of it shows more skill than ignoring it or abusing it. Anybody who claims they -only- lost because their opponent wavedashed probably sucks a lot at this game.
Wavedashing is a technical rather than strategic skill; it measures your practice rather than your instincts and strategic ability. It enables new strategies. It does add a time commitment to competitive play – you need to spend a fairly long period of time perfecting a few technical skills to really be able to play upper-level smash. I do pretty well with minimal short-hopping and wavedashing, but I've hit the point where I absolutely have to get better at them to advance significantly. Is this a bad thing? I don't think so.

However, it being removed is not a problem, and people complaining about it are being silly, methinks. It’s a new game, and fixing glitches is something which happens in new games. Other strategies and tricks will rise up in its place. It is true that wavedashing alone does not a winner make, and I can and do beat people who wavedash a lot better than I do, but I don't have some options others have because I can't wavedash as well as they do.

'Chaos factor' is all well and good for friendly play, but leaving it up to luck is not acceptable when money is on the line. Though, in general, the better player will win in an items match, no one is going to accept a loss because an explosive container landed on them as they unleashed a smash to edgeguard for what should've been -their- win. Competitive play is about deciding who's better, and items muddy that and 'add the chaos factor', which needs to be limited as much as possible in a test of skill.
This isn't actually true at all. Look at Magic: The Gathering competitive play. You shuffle your deck before playing, and yet it is an extremely skill-intensive game. Why? Because the ability to react to random events which are individually small yet by manipulating them give you great advantage is a skill. A good Magic player has the ability to strategize, plan ahead, and execute complex plans even though his deck is shuffled. Even something as random as a shuffled deck actually gives consistent results, which is why the same players continually do well on the Magic Pro Tour. A lot of people don't understand this principle, which is why they think items are bad.

That being said, Magic would not be a fun game if some cards read "You win." The same is true for items. As long as individual items only give you an edge, not a stock, they aren't problematic and actually increase the skill content of the game. If they remove explosive containers or let you turn them off, then the overall skill level in tournaments will actually increase if items are enabled. Randomness in moderation is a good thing, not a bad one, and people who cannot deal with moderate levels of randomness are not as skilled overall as those who can.

This argument is flawed. Pichu would not be a better character with items; if anything, he'd be worse. You forget that the Top tier characters are also more proficient with items than the rest of the cast (Falcon, Sheik, Marth, Peach, etc.). Not only that, but Mewtwo's too slow to get at the items, Pichu's too small and light to survive getting to the items, etc. Items would just highlight the weaknesses of characters, as any advanced movements with items (Marth's double hit for example) don't change that much in the advantages, but the inherit traits of characters determine whether or not they will get items, be able to counter them, and be able to survive them.
While it is true that some of the top tier characters are very good with items (particularly Marth, who suddenly gains some projectiles), so are some lower-tier characters. Mewtwo uses items very well, and claiming he is too slow to get items is kind of silly; while it is true he isn't the fastest of characters, if his opponent is going for an item, he can get to it first if it is close enough, and if not, he can charge a darkball or otherwise exploit the opponent not paying enough attention to him. Pichu is fairly fast and pretty good at getting where he wants to go, and he gains a lot more advantage from items than most characters do as it gives him stronger or better attacks. However, it wouldn't really help characters like, say, Yoshi, Jigglypuff, or Kirby, who are rather slow and don't gain as much from grabbing items due to the nature of their attack patterns and strategies. It would change things somewhat though, and maybe Mewtwo and Pichu wouldn't be quite as terrible, and might move up a couple places.

Also, I'm not very impressed with Peach's use of items; Falcon, Sheik, and Marth can all use them alright, but I just don’t find that Peach gets an unusual advantage from them, and she loses her ability to pull turnips while she's toting them around. It is all a moot point, though, as long as explosive containers cannot be turned off. If they can be turned off in the next game though, there's no reason not to leave some items on.

If anything was to be voted most gamebreaking, it would be chainthrowing first and JCing a shine second. Sheik's CG was nerfed in PAL, showing that the devs did have concerns about the balance of that and other things that they took out, but they left in WDind and JCing, two things which, if you guys are correct (keep in mind that you aren't), should have been taken out when the devs learned of the glitch (although it's not a glitch and was known about) and thought it ruined many parts of the game they worked so hard to create. As for ground speed, Luigi's WD is still slower than Falcon, only Luigi's misfire is faster when going across FD.
I would agree with this, but also argue that, in reality, their knowledge of the game back then was not nearly what our knowledge is now. WDing probably would take effort to remove, as it is probably a consequence of the physics engine. As such, you might have to reprogram a significant amount to fix it, which simply isn't worth the time or the effort, especially as WDing wasn't that game breaking at that time (nor was JCing, for that matter). Only as time went on was stuff like waveshining perfected to the point where it could be done on demand. It simply wasn't worth the time/money at the time to fix it, as it wasn't having a large negative effect on gameplay. As today far more people know about WDing, far more people are likely to be introduced to it and other similarly advanced strategies, meaning it has far more potential to be corrosive to general game play.

I'm a boxer that has been training since childhood to become champ of the heavyweight division. So I work my *** off for about 15 years and finally I get my championship fight. Then right when I'm about to deliver my final blow to win the round, someone throws a hammer at my face, I fall to the ground, and the ref counts to 10.
This is a straw man argument, and entirely unreasonable. Indeed, couldn't your position be seen like this?

Imagine you've been playing dodgeball your whole life. You go to a dodgeball competition and find out that you can't use balls, and instead have to punch your opponent.

This is obviously a farcical argument, as there's no "native state" and no reason to believe your position is the default; indeed, the standard for the game is for items to be –on-, so one can argue that your version of the game is the perversion. Moreover, I don't think anyone is arguing that you should have instant-win items on – this is obviously a straw man, and is quite silly.

Everyone who is arguing "But bombombs are unfair!" needs to learn about something called "logic". A straw man argument is NOT a good argument. Yes, no one wants to die randomly from a bomb-omb falling on their head while they're doing a smash attack, which is why I wouldn't advocate them being turned on in tournament play.

I hate all you noobs. Get off my internet. You just want things changed because you aren't as good as us 1337 people. You cant keep up with WDing so you want it out. Just die. Die die die. Who cares about the casual Smasher? If they aren't as willing to play as long as the rest of us, why make it easier for them to beat us by removing advanced tactics?
If you aren't good enough to beat a causal player, then you deserve to lose. People aren't advocating the removal of all skill from the game. If you read the thread, you'd know this.

As for who cares about the casual Smasher – I dunno, Nintendo? Given that they want to sell 10 million copies, rather than 10,000, they need to appeal to the casual player FAR more than the tournament player. You simply aren't that important of a demographic. They should not sacrifice casual play for tournament play, as casual play is far more profitable for them. Ideally, though, the game can support both.

Regarding this being a pointless discussion: I disagree. It is amusing, if nothing else, to see people bluster on. Realistically, I expect the game to be better than Melee – hopefully, more balanced, less glitchy, and less exploitable. Chain grabbing simply shouldn't work – more than two grabs in a row is not good for a game, simply because it isn't much fun to be grabbed over and over again without any ability to do much of anything.

I'm going to make this very clear for everyone:

Super Smash Brothers brawl will primarily be geared towards casual players who pop it in for fun and love randomly whacking each other. What your goal should be as a competitive player is that this game is still good as a competitive game while still being enjoyable, as to encourage more people to pick it up, play it, and possibly get into competitive gaming. You want SSBB to do well in the market, so try and think of things which improve tournament AND casual play, as just improving tournament play isn't that worthwhile to them.

Both were just to speed up gameplay, neither broke the game, I see no reason why WD would be any different in this carry over than L-Cancling was from SSB to SSB:M.
This isn't really true. L-canceling thoroughly broke the original Super Smash Brothers – it was a totally unrecognizable game with L-canceling, and leads to all sorts of insanity which is just not much fun even for the average competitive player.

I play SSBM because it is fun, but I hope that SSBB will be even more fun and remove certain unfun elements, such as certain chain grabs and similarly inescapable, 0 – near death (or death) combos.

I have been running tournaments monthly for the past 2 years and just recently I noticed something about the gaming "pros"; many of them fear change and will fight tooth and nail to get their way. I have put up with way too much BS over the past 2 years. Recently I hosted an amateur event in Rhode Island for one of our sponsors, Gamer Graffix. The event pulled in over 1200 people, 170 of which played in the SSBM tournament. Granted it was our first event of this magnitude, so we did have some setbacks. However, most of the complaints I got were from pro smashers. They didn't like the rules, that there was no free play, this that and the other thing. It's like they were expecting the tournament to be exactly like MLG or something.

Honestly I am sick of it. My company has many gaming event projects in the works, one of which will be a national tour with Gamer Graffix. I understand that pros expect a certain thing from a tournament, but if I were to cater to pros all the time honestly I would be going no where right now. It's likely within the next year or so I will be able to do events like these for a living, and I'd rather hold events that draw in 1200 n00bs just because they would appreciate everything more. Many of the players there for smash were n00bs, only about 10 MAYBE were pros. So why should I tailor my events to those 10 people when I have 160 people who are fine with whatever I tell them? If I did that, it would be the end for my business. I could have made it 10 stock, 1 game, giant melee, with items on high and those 160 people would have had a BLAST regardless.
This is more or less my opinion of things as well – I'd rather have fun and have some random good people show up than have only the random good people show up and exclude everyone else.

First, lets go to petty threats. Secondly the Teir list is BS. I kniow a friend who plays as Luigi and is relativly good, and Im preety good as Mewtwo. In reality you can be good with any character. You just have to learn.
People just don't understand what the tier list is. The tier list isn't really a character ranking so much as a metagame ranking; it lists what characters are generally regarded as the best by the pro community. If you learn how to play character X very well and start winning events, character X will move up the tier list. This is how Fox has ended up on top, why Sheik has moved down, and how ICs have gone to being regarded as one of the best characters in the game. If you start with the tier list to choose your character, you're just asking to be disappointed. Play who you enjoy, and try and get good with them. If you can't, move on to another character you have fun playing. If you don't, you're more likely than not to quit because you aren't having fun. You may end up with a scrubby lineup of mains, but if you enjoy playing, why do you care?

In the end, SSBB will be a fun game. If it is competitive, so much the better; if not, then we can stick with Melee. I hope that it is a fun casual game, fun in single player, and that multiplayer is a ton of fun both as a party game and as a competitive, high-level game which is more balanced than SSBM and is more fun to play at a competitive level. Whatever accomplishes these goals best will satisfy me.

Champion_Link

Smash Cadet
Titanium you kick butt. Ever since I've hear about MLG and pro playing and such I have not had as much fun with the game as in the past. Me and my freinds just set the stages as their done in tournaments and take off items and such. We've gotten really competitive and it's kind of frustrating. Especially when I lose. The other day I started playing smash bros melee with my neice (she's pretty good for a 3 year old :) ) We put the items on just for fun and put almost all the stages back on the random select. Needless to say we had an absolute blast! I remembered once again what it was like to have FUN with the game! Items don't take from skill at all but add to it. As do the different stages. If Brawl is made "easier to play" so to speak then great! There's nothing wrong with competitive play but what's the point if it's not fun? Pro football players love what they do. Videogames should be the same way.

JJC

Smash Cadet
Completely agree on the points about items and their random nature. Another point to support it is games like CS. The recoil in that game is more "random" than any other fps I've played. But what makes it such a skillful and competitive game? Learning to control the recoil and rely on your instincts as to where to shoot, how to move, etc to take the most advantage of the random nature of the recoil and to reuce it as much as possible.

Same thing for items in SSB. "You Win" items I never play with but I play with most projectile and bashing items on. Even pokeballs. Mainly because, when a pokeball drops, people pay attention and I've never had a random pokeball thrown my way that I couldn't avoid. Only ones that I've been outskilled over have done that. So many new strategies open up when players get a hold of items such as the screw attack. Shiek with a star rod is deadly and a captain falcon with one, even more so. Ever seen someone catch a thrown bobomb mid air? Did you know that Mr Saturn, when thrown, can take out about half a shield? Did you know that Mewtwo's dash attack with a fan breaks shields instantly?

I'll always play with items because without them, that's just one aspect of skill removed from the game. It's like taking away an actual move from many characters.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Well, wavedashing is a good tactic, but consider that a non wavedasher can beat a wavedasher, and you all are going to ask me what I know about the game, because of my small post count, and saying something controversial..

Ken has been beaten by a non wavedashing link, when he was a WDing Marth, and at the time he was considered pro...

And about the Wavedash problem, well, if the air game is improved, the pros might want to spend a lot less time on the ground and a lot more time in the air, where there is not any wavedashing at all...

Not saying that you have to agree with me, just consider my opinion please ^-^

Banksya

Smash Ace
You're right.

You're absolutely right.

Personally, I dislike tourneys, because items are banned.

I LOVE ITEMS! Everyone on this board complains about how items suck, and how
they want them removed, and personally, it's pissing me off.
People complain about not likeing Big Blue, but frankly I think it's quite a cool stage.
Moving stages ARE down to skill, because you gotta keep up with the stage.
There was some guy who recorded a video on Big Blue, and guess what:

He was greeted with "Why were you playing on Big Blue anyway" and all sorts of
other "isn't it banned" bull****. Is there now some sort of fine for playing on
Poké Floats or icicle mountain in their own home?

So now playing in tournaments has become like playing a cut down version
of the game? Now the tier lists have been defined by 9 out of 29 stages in the game?
Because the number of stages has been cut down, we now have less characters
to choose from, otherwise we'd get owned???

WE NEED MORE MOVING STAGES so then there will be even less
"tounament safe" stages to play on, thus balancing the game much more.
Marth would kick *** on any stage, but Kirby would have more of an even fight
against him on Big Blue because he can use the terrain to his advantage!

Mewtwo and Pichu were DESIGNED with the intention of being item-gods,
why take that away from them? IT EVEN SAYS ON PICHU'S TROPHY that he'd
be better off scuttling around looking for items.

I think the only items that should be banned in tourneys are the home run bat,
the hammer, invisibility, star, metal box, mini mushroom and bob-omb.
Because they ARE cheap, and can end the match in an instant.
The other items don't take away from the game, they only make it LESS
like other fighting games, which is what you people on this forum are always
campaigning for.

CO-OP ADVENTURE FTW!

^noob lol

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
When did I say that anyone who uses adv. techs are instantly pro? I said that adv. techs are only one part of being a pro and that your skill should define you. If I used a character and had adv. techs against someone using the same character and adv. techs then the person with superior skill would win. What I am saying is don't let adv. techs be the measuring stick for defining who is a pro and who isn't.
Are you serious? Are you really going to make it that easy for me? Fine:

Uncle Kenny said:
...Skill is the measure of whether you are pro or not...
It's in page 20 in case you missed it. Now it just looks like you yourself find your argument so inane and redundant that you even forgot what it was.

th0rn

Smash Lord
We've gotten really competitive and it's kind of frustrating. Especially when I lose. The other day I started playing smash bros melee with my neice (she's pretty good for a 3 year old :) ) We put the items on just for fun and put almost all the stages back on the random select. Needless to say we had an absolute blast!
Ever thought you had more fun because you can only beat toddlers, and not the items turned on?

Just like all the previous threads similar to this, all the people labeled "smash noob/child" (not saying you are one) are arguing for the advanced techniques to be taken out, and the rest to keep them.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Are you serious? Are you really going to make it that easy for me? Fine:

It's in page 20 in case you missed it. Now it just looks like you yourself find your argument so inane and redundant that you even forgot what it was.
Were you agreeing with me or calling me stupid? Because if skill isn't what makes a pro a pro then what the hell does?

P.S. Titanium, you have alot on your mind huh?

BayDj

Smash Rookie
I think that all this fuzz comes from removing wavedashing, personally I don't use but I don't think it should be removed, becouse it will piss off those that do use it, what I do think its unfair about wavedashing is that some characters have it easier to wavedash than others(probably couse its not suppose to exist), they should make wavedashing intentional like L cancelling so that wouldnt be a problem(all caracters Lcancel the say way).

JJC

Smash Cadet
Just like all the previous threads similar to this, all the people labeled "smash noob/child" (not saying you are one) are arguing for the advanced techniques to be taken out, and the rest to keep them.
I use advanced techniques. All but wavedashing. I'm not arguing to take them out all I'm saying is that if exploits like wavedashing are taken out and the game shifts from being Melee 1.5 to a new game in teh franchise with a new physics engine I'll be a happy man. This community has a serious problem of ego and high and mightyness. You have to realise that for one, maybe only 10% of all people who play SSB in any shape or form play it competetively and maybe only 2% read these forums and play the same way you guys do.

The people who do the most crying on this board it seems are those who just wouldn't be able to handle it if Brawl didn't turn out exactly like Melee with extra stages. When Melee was first announced, I was a pro SSB player and I was really looking forward to it. I was really hoping for a graphical update of SSB with extra characters and stages. What I got was a whole new game pretty much. Did I ***** and moan because of it? No. I didn't play Melee any where near as much as the original of course but I still played it because it was SSB. No matter what version of it I'm challenged at I want to be able to kick arse with either.

To address the thread title, Brawl isn't going going to be the 2 Turbo of the Smash Bros world. It's another full fledged outing into the world of SSB. You either roll with it or you go back to the previous version of Smash like a lot of people did when Melee came out. Just because you can throw around all the talk of advanced techs and you can pull them off, doesn't mean your a good player. Anyone thinking that Melee will be the only game in the series to have advanced techs needs to stop kidding themselves and maybe actually learn to play all the games properly (Brawl included) before jumping to these conclusions.

I also want to ask one thing. Does advanced tech mean that it wasn't intended to be so advanced by the developers? Do only abilities that are considered "glitches" or "exploits" and the use of them indicate a pro player? What about advanced techs that the developers actually want to put in the game? Wouldn't you think that the fact that we are getting at least 5 new characters itself provide more depth? I would definately think things like short hopping, crouch canceling, catching thrown items, DI and other "advanced techs" that were well and truely intended added a hell of a lot of depth to the game once you got over the "zomg it's mario and bowser!!!111shiftone" facade of the game.

And people think they're dumbing this game down...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
This thread is a great thread, probably one of the best around right now, I'll save because we all need this. This opened my eyes, next time I play SSBM I'm going to play with all items on (with medium rarity) and play moving stages.

xeonoex

Smash Journeyman
The TC has alot of good points, but people here like competitive play. Things are removed to make it more fair for the players.

Please explain all the reasons they ARE banned then.
To take out random and cheap stuff. Pick Link on a stage with floors on at least one side, and you'll get waveshined to death.

Items are off because randomness of who the land closer too. Plus, if a heart container fall out of the sky, a Shiek could run across a stage, jump, and get it before a Bowser has a chance for it to get in his range.

Competitive players play to win, and want to win in the most fair way possible. We like skill. To you, playing with item on very high on Icicle Mountain can be fun, but this would give faster players a lot more edge. I can play Marth dittos on Final Destination all day and have more fun in one game then with items and everything. I play to win.

It seems that the rules make the high tier players much more usable, but the actually help the lower tiers out.

Play how you want, well play how we want. Pros like MLG rules. No one wants to lose $10,000 because a bomb landed on there head at the last second.

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
The way I see it is this:

Competitive Smashers have their own world, as do Casual Smashers. Advanced Techniques belong to the Competitive Smashers world, and items, moving stages and anything goes belongs to the Casual Smashers world.

The Casual Smashers own what is theirs, and We (Smashboards) own what is ours.

Now the trouble begins when these worlds collide, and Casual Smashers discover Smashboards, the haven of the Competitive Smashers world.

The Casual Smashers have nothing to lose by asking Advanced Techniques to be removed, except that they wont lose as easily when faced up against a Competitive Smasher. On the other hand Competitive Smashers are losing what they owned in the first place. This seems hardly fair. What would happen if we asked for items to be removed (as unlikely as it were to happen)? The Competitive Smashers have nothing to lose by suggesting the item's removal but still The Casual Smashers would be furious, bringing in every argument in the book to protest against such a ludicrous suggestion.

This is exactly what Casual Smashers are doing to us.

They are arguing for something to be removed which doesnt belong to themselves, something that doesnt concern them had they not invaded our community and lost so badly to something they cant take the time to learn or appreciate. Advanced techniques have nothing to do with them, so why argue against it?

There is hope, however. Out of the masses that join Smashboards, there are those that are fascinated by Competitive Smash, and decide they would like to join it. They learn a couple techniques, ask some questions and get a sound understanding of this strange new world that has appeared before them. Problems then begin when they take this knowledge to the World of Casual Smash, to which cries of "Cheap!" and "Ghey!" can be heard from the Newly Competitive Smasher's friends. So they can start winning again, his friends travel to Smashboards to correct what is "wrong" and start the whole ridiculous arguments in the first place.

It all means that whining hypocritical Casual Smashers that have no intention of doing anything beside being annoying are just being completely selfish and ignorant and have protested against something that doesnt concern them in the first place.

Top Bottom