• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tir na Smash - Results and Vids

Kone

Smash Master
Hey guys, nice to see that the tournament ran smoothly and all and well done on pikaville winning. Ill look into making a future tournament you guys run =)

If anyone has brawl and is interested in getting into it from the get go im hosting the first UK tourney end of may in newcastle. Flights are cheap from dublin -> newcastle. Be nice to have you irish involved with the UK from the start ;) . Tourney thread http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158843

If not ill see you on your soil in the future ^_^. Keep practicing guys :)

Ed

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Cheers Gory Snake, I've watched the 3 final rounds now - pretty intense, wish I'd been there

So congrats, Pikaville, on your success, but you have still yet to defeat me in single combat, so I am laying down a challenge - You and Me, GameconXIII, best of 11, full MLG rules. May the better man claim the title "Ri na Smash", do you accept my challenge?

Anyway I'll do up the opening post, anyone have the results for the whole tourney? As opposed to just first and second, well send them this way if you do, cheers

Awaiting a response Pikaville, we must do battle, it is our destiny, as written in the stars
:uzi: :enforcer:

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Well done All Irish smashers for getting a tournament up and running. Having watched some of these vids I've decided that I would love to come to Ireland for smash and stuff If anyone's willing to house me :). Aiko and AmcD might possibly be coming with me as well but I don't know for certain.

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Well Bullet Bill we'd love to have you, and I'll let you know when we get the next tourney up and running

But if you're interested I'll be at GameconXIII from May 2nd-4th, probably along with Lynkx and possibly a few others, yall should come and play some Smash. Let me know if you're interested

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Write up of the day

The Write up I promised I'd do

Hello Gentlemen, this is the official first Irish Smash tournament write-up, or "Tir Na Smash" as we're now calling it, which is a name I'm glad took off.

I am now going to go into my account of the day. Forgive my excess of words, whenever I write about things, I am very verbose.

Saturday

The day began with us seeing our set-up on the side of Vaticon's gaming room. Three 14 inch TVs and plenty of plug sockets.
Myself, Tadonnen/Lauri and Kalignar/Darragh were the first to show up just before 11 in order to run things, with Darragh's Gamecube and a few controllers.

Eamon and Michael were next to arrive (I can't remember which one is 2022), making them the earliest attendants who weren't running the thing. Zac and friend of his showed up soon enough, and that was enough to get some four player games going.

At this point though, nobody had brought any additional consoles, and I was concerned I would need to make a trip in my car to get an extra Wii from somewhere.

These fears were immediately put to rest by the arrival of Eriatarka/Jamie who was awesome enough to bring his Wii and a few third party controllers. I had an extra copy of Smash with me, so this immediately brought us up to enough for eight player games.
Padraig and Cian (not of Smashboards) had also joined the fold

It's worth mentioning at this point that we promised we'd bring cake, and this was not a lie! This picture is of the plate of cake about 2/3rds already eaten, if I had thought to get a picture of the original amount of cake, it would be much more impressive.

By 12pm, which was my originally posted time for the START of sign-ups, we already had about nine people signed on, and I was feeling pretty optimistic about the whole thing.

Lynkx/Matt, Gory_Snake/Nathan, with their friends Evan and Roberto were the next to arrive, and bless em, they brough an extra gamecube.

This of course brought us to twelve player games!.

Enough people to occupy three screens was my most optimistic prediction for this tournament, and we did this in really short time. Good job all!

I insisted we mix up the groups on the three tvs so people were more "mingled" (Not just playing with the people they'd come to the tournament with) and also that everyone used their real names, since I steadfastly believe using internet handles in real-life is stupid.

As 2 o clock came close to rolling around, we had 18 sign-ups for the tournament, so I began making up the tournament brackets.
Since this was my show, and I had gone absolutely MAD with power (bwahahahaha), I thought it might be cool to NOT do the brackets randomly, but to actually draw up the seedings so that nobody was playing a friend of theirs in the first round.

The logic behind this being that the about three years ago I came to a small smash
tournament in Dublin from way down south. A friend of mine and I spent four hours on the
train each way to attend, and I ended up knocking him out in round one, which kind of
sucked for both of us.

I checked with the attendees to make sure nobody thought this was too stupid, but
everyone seemed cool with it, so I drew up the brackets for the singles tournament, which ended up looking like this!

There was also a kickass projector at the far side of the room, where one guy was playing
Audiosurf on a PC, so I made an effort at persuading him to give up his projector for our
tournament.

It worked.

I also asked the Vaticon staff if we could get more projectors than that.

We did.
We got two more.

Which brought us up to three.
Which was pretty awesome.

At this point I have to say that I was really proud how we expanded and took over pretty much the whole games room.
Here's a good shot of a bunch of us, with Lynkx/Matt on his camcorder.

The Vaticon staff were well impressed, and some poor fellow who was running a Halo tournament asked us, completely mystified, how we had such an awesome turnout.
"Lots of postings online, and fliers in shops." we replied.

With the amount of attendance we had, we could have actually filled five screens, but we only had enough equipment for three.

Just before the tournament got underway, a fellow by the name of Stefan wanted to sign up
(which would have given us uneven numbers), and insisted that Aidan/Pikaville was "On his way".

I knew Aidan was really good, and the tournament wouldn't be the same if he wasn't included, so I randomly stabbed my finger at the seedings, and put them in between Zac/Shane and Stephen/Evan.

It's at this point as well, Matt and I noticed there was nobody called "Risky" on the tournament sheet. This we found surprising.

In the first round, Darragh beat Roberto, Matt beat Eamon, Cian beat Lauri, Jamie beat Gareth, Nathan beat Michael, Zac beat Shane, Aidan (who showed up just in time) beat Stefan, Evan beat Stephen, Brian beat Colm, and I beat Padraig, making the second round seedings look like this.

In the second round, Matt beat Darragh, Jamie beat Cian, Nathan beat Zac, Aidan beat Evan and I beat Brian; which left us with what we referred to as The Final Five.

To decide the semis, we agreed that we'd each have one match against each other, and whoever lost the most was eliminated.

Jamie was eliminated here, but considering we had to persuade him to even enter the
tournament in the first place, I think he kicked all kinds of butt, and with Kirby of all characters!

For the semis, Matt and Nathan played each other. I don't know if it sucked any less for them as friends to eliminate one another in round 4 as opposed to round 1, but Nathan won here, and secured his place in the final.

I had the pleasure of playing Aidan. It was an awesome match I really enjoyed which came right down to the final life in our third match, but he was too good for me, and I was next to be eliminated.

The final match then was between Aidan and Nathan.

I thought it was awesome as well that when we declared the final was taking place, absolutely everybody in the room dropped what they were doing to come and watch.

Matt was good enough to record these, for our viewing pleasure:
Round One.

Round Two.

Final Round.

In the end, Aidan's "Zombieshiek" reigned supreme (I'm the pleb at the end who declares Aidan to be the best player in Ireland, I didn't even notice Matt was filming), and we had to stick an extra A4 page on the tournament list because Lauri got a bit carried away with her big fonts.

Congratulations Aidan!

Sponsored by Coke!

At point, I decided that we might as well do the doubles tournament right then and there, because we had even numbers for teams, and everyone who entered the singles tournament has expressed interest in the doubles.

So after a quick flurry of taking names, and deciding the team orders ACTUALLY randomly this time (by rolling a d8 borrowed from a Dungeons and Dragons game), and the listings looked like this.

I didn't see any matches but my own here, so I can't comment on everyone, but I'd never played a team game with team damage on. It was fun and chaotic. Myself and Darragh's teamwork unashamedly sucked, and I think we got just as many kills on each other as our opponents.

Our third match against Eamon and Michael was pretty close, and came down to myself, Eamon and Michael each on one life each, but they accidently hit each other with projectiles, which allowed me to kill them. D'oh!

Aidan and Zac beat Tommy and Lynchy, Cian and Stephen beat Pete and Stefan, Matt and Nathan beat Jamie and Gareth, and myself and Darragh just barely scraped by beating Eamon and Michael.

I don't recall much about the second round. Matt and Nathan beat Cian and Stephen,
Aidan and Zac beat myself and Darragh pretty soundly; with a lot of team killing
going on on both sides.

So the doubles final rolled around with these four gentlemen in the running.

If you guys want my totally uneducated opinion, I think Matt and Nathan were the better team. Their movements were well co-ordinated and fluid looking. I rarely saw them hit each other, and didn't see any team-killing (unlike Me/Darragh and Eamon/Michael XD).
Unfortunately for them though, Aidan was the better player, and this resulted in an
Aidan/Zac victory.

Whoo!

At this point it was 5:58pm, and it occured to me there had been 20 or so of us in that room,
doing nothing but playing Smash for a solid seven hours.

Bloody hell.

Well done everyone, it was a testament to how awesome and fun you all were, that we were all able to stay so totally invested in the action for that long without getting bored.

Since I hadn't got to play Matt in the Final Five matches, I sat him down and we had a few good fights before we all broke up and went home.
I occurs to me as well though that I should have played Nathan more too, since we only had one match against each other, where my Captain Falcon proved rather ineffective against his Marth.

My personal awards for the day were:

Best Kirby I've ever seen: Jamie. Jamie's Kirby was surprisingly effective against everyone he played. I've never thought Kirby was an especially good character, but all Jamie's matches were really close as far as I could see.

Best Link I've ever seen: Matt. Much like Jamie, I've never considered Link to be that good a character, but Matt had a really interesting projectile spam style I'm going to try to work into my Link play.

Best Ness I've ever seen: Eamon. Who knew Ness could be played well in a tournament setting? I didn't. Eamon bloody well did though.

Most surprisingly mature Smasher for his age: Gareth, who as far as I could tell, was only about ten years old, and shockingly good at the game. And he didn't complain once when he lost, despite being the youngest person there by about 8 years.
(Actually if anyone sees him around Dublin, get his e-mail address for me. The one his mom gave me was wrong, and he only found out about the tournament through our fliers. Therefore he won't know about our next big meet unless we do more leaflets).

Thanks for bringing cake award: Lauri. Woo-hoo! Cake!

All pictures taken that day by myself and Matt are visible here., including my awful looking attempt to take pictures of the Doubles Final.

Sunday

Sunday was a lot more low-key, there was only about a half dozen people, and I only had time to hang about for a few hours before getting Darragh to his train home.

So that day was just me, Darragh, Jamie, Gareth, Tommy, Lynchy and some other dude who hadn't attended Saturday playing.

What was funny though was that between the lot of us, we had enough equipment for one Wii, one copy of the game, four controller but no memory card.

So we played 3 stock winner stays on, items on low, all stages open, with the 14 characters
that come with the game.

That was heaps of fun too. Especially for me, since I hadn't played many free-for-alls on Saturday, what with all the organising.

Highlights of Sunday:

"You got the Mute City Trophy!"

Woo-hoo!

"You got the Maxim Tomato Trophy!"

Yeah! Get in!

"You unlocked Marth!"

Awesome!

Thus ends Tir Na Smash

In case any of our foreign observers are curious about who we play (and actually read this far through all my demented rantings) here's a list of characters played in the tournament as far as I could see:

Jamie: Kirby
Cian: Falco
Stephen:Link
Nathan: Marth
Matt: Link
Gareth: Samus (and some others)
Darragh: Samus
Stefan: Fox
Aidan: Shiek, Falco, Pikachu, Marth
Zac: Peach
Tommy: Roy
Padraig: Yoshi
Lynchy:Kirby
Eamon: Ness
Michael:Samus
Lauri: Shiek
Dave: Bowser, Mr. Game & watch, Mario, Samus,
Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Kirby, Marth, Peach

I have to say again though, that was a really quality group of people. If anyone is interested in getting any regular Smash games going (not even tournaments, just games) be sure to send out an e-mail. We all have each other's addresses now.

- Dave

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
"You got the Mute City Trophy!"
:laugh:

Well done Dave, a very enjoyable read. And have an award yourself for Most Versatile Player, saw you get in a good fight with most every character on the roster. Even DK!
Thanks for the kind words on my Kirby by the way, although you forgot to mention the bit where you, Matt Aidan and Nathan ***** him mercilessly en-route to the semis.
Fond memories, them!

On a non-smash related topic (sorry sorry), did anyone pick up Mario Kart?
My friend code is 2019-9797-7537, if anyone wishes to add please do so.
We really owe it to ourselves to enjoy it to bits before the Americas get it in semi-revenge for all this Brawl PAL-conversion nonsense.:mad::ohwell:

tadonnen

Smash Rookie
Dave and I will have our copy of Mario Kart soon, I'll have to look up our friend codes when I get home. I tried it at the Gamestop on Henry St (they're having a big, Mariokart release event) and oh man, I hate hate hate hate hate the wheel. It's impossible to powerslide with =(. The gamecube controller is much nicer, and I think, with a bit of practice, I will be snaking my way to victory, mwahahaha.

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
God **** after seeing all those pictures and reading all about it. . . wish I'd been there. Well, there's always next time

Oh and I suck at Mario Kart but we should still all get some games going - who needs Brawl eh?

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
On a non-smash related topic (sorry sorry), did anyone pick up Mario Kart?
My friend code is 2019-9797-7537, if anyone wishes to add please do so.
We really owe it to ourselves to enjoy it to bits before the Americas get it in semi-revenge for all this Brawl PAL-conversion nonsense.:mad::ohwell:
I will hopefully be getting Mario Kart soon, I'm kinda broke at the moment and my wireless internet needs fixing (we had to re install Windows and I lost the disc for the router... >.<)
I was playing it in my friend's though (Roberto, actually) and I love it! (Even though I came, on average, 4th all the time)

Koopa Troopa FTW!

And Dave, thank you so much for writing up the day. How the h*ll did you remember it all?! And thank you again for praising my Link! Words can't describe how balanced you are with the amount of characters you use.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
I too wish Dave and I had more matches, that one round we had was a close one, next time we have a smash tournament we got to have a few one on ones.

Looking back I wish I used a bigger variety of characters, Marth is my best character by far but I also use Captain Falcon and Luigi, I probably looked like a tier ***** with my constant use of Marth.

And thanks for the uploads of the pictures, that was one great day

UchihaJP

Smash Ace
Ohhhh, I think BF.com told me about this 2 months ago. This is the first Ireland smash tourney ever or something? He went there to help u guys setting up 1? lol lol

Nice. ^_^

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys.

I was brought to my attention that not all of my picture links work, so I fixed 'em.

:laugh:

Well done Dave, a very enjoyable read. And have an award yourself for Most Versatile Player, saw you get in a good fight with most every character on the roster. Even DK!
I played with DK about five times in a row, and you guys kicked my butt every time; no matter how often I changed colours! He was just not meant to be!

I enjoy playing with all the characters. I would have too, if not for the lack of a memory card on Sunday. Off the top of my head: Roy, Pichu, Young Link, Mewtwo, Dr Mario and Falco got no love from me that weekend :(

Thanks for the kind words on my Kirby by the way, although you forgot to mention the bit where you, Matt Aidan and Nathan ***** him mercilessly en-route to the semis.
Fond memories, them!
I didn't see your other matches, since I was busy getting ***** by the guys myself.

You had the biggest honour on Sunday.
I don't know if this is a tradition with all you guys, or just my Smash friends, but when someone declares a "Final", that means it's the last match of that session, everyone picks their best character, no items, final destination.

In our Sunday final, I came dead goddam last, young Gareth came third, and yourself and Darragh fought it out for first place, with you being the eventual winner.

Ohhhh, I think BF.com told me about this 2 months ago. This is the first Ireland smash tourney ever or something? He went there to help u guys setting up 1? lol lol

Nice. ^_^
Hello. I think you might be confusing us with something else. There was no "BF.com" in attendance.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
It wouldn't have to even be a tournament, I'd just need to drive up to Blanchardstown or something.

At least that explains why my Captain Falcon was so ineffective. You play him too. At least I got a couple of nice spikes in. :D

Hello. I think you might be confusing us with something else. There was no "BF.com" in attendance.
With my Junior Cert coming up, casual games wont be a possibility, maybe during the summer, hopefully we can have another tournament then as well.

Those were some **** good spikes, I was surprised I fell for them so easily!

And according to Risky's first post, BF.com was supposed to show up

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
With my Junior Cert coming up, casual games wont be a possibility, maybe during the summer, hopefully we can have another tournament then as well.

Those were some **** good spikes, I was surprised I fell for them so easily!

And according to Risky's first post, BF.com was supposed to show up
Ah yes, the Junior Cert, that was an unpleasant experience, many years ago. Man I'm old.
Darragh's doing his too this year, so you guys are all in the same boat.

You're right about BornFidelity.com too, the PM I got that alerted me to this topic originally was actually from him. I had forgotten about that.

From looking around Smashboards, he apparently wrote the book on playing with Falco too. I wonder if he would have destroyed us all had he come.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
I'd be up for some casual play on Saturdays or seomthing, or Sundays if that suits people better.

But where? In someone's house?

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Lynkx, I'd be up for that for sure, especially now it's almost summer - everyone should have more free time

Someone's house'd be good, if anyone could provide

But lets worry 'bout that later. . . for now everyone should just come to GameconXIII. . . hmmm?

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Well, 6 people live in my house and there's at least one person in the house at all times. And it's a small little Bungalow. And a "free gaff" isn't planned HOWEVER if I do get told in advance about a free gaff, I will allow some Smash to be played.

As for Gamecon... I MIGHT be able to make it, I have to save up for my holidays in July. I could just go grass cutting or something on the weekends to earn some money

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty easy about the casual matches thing. I'd happily provide my flat, or drive to wherever there was Smash to be had.

As I think I mentioned before though, I've only moved recently, so it's sort of a shrine to cardboard boxes at the moment. Once I'm properly moved in though, I'd have no problem with people coming over. Probably later in the summer.

With regards to Gamecon though, I'm not entirely convinced.
€32 - €40 is a bit much for me, and from looking at their website and forums, I don't see any mention of any Smash games officially going on.

Risky I presume you're "Arran", who made the Smash request in this topic.

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
That's me all right. And you're right, there's no Smash "officially" going on but last time I single-handedly rounded up like 10/12 people for a tourney - the guy running the show's dead on about letting people set stuff up. Me and my mates set up a 16 man Halo3 tourney aswell, with EA "goodey bags" (game and a T-shirt) for the 4 winners (yours truly and co.)

So if you think about it €40 isn't really all that much, it was deadly craic last time and I actually more than made that back with the free sound system they handed me along with the game I won

Yall should come, guarantee you won't regret it

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Guess what.3 of my friends have brawl and freeloader and im ordering mine this week.Brawl officially rocks the house.New charcters are amazing(wolf,ike and olimar being my favorite so far)

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
Spoiler tags! dunno how successful he's been but Dave said he's been trying to keep everything in Brawl a surprise!

I won a small college Brawl tourney (with Kirby, *buffed*:chuckle:) recently, man that game is fantastic. Although I can see what people mean about the floatiness and how its not as quick as Melee and all that, it's still a terrific experience. Looking between Kirby, Pikachu and ROB as future mains.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
We were gonna play Brawl, but it wouldn't work... Still, we had fun playing Melee in Gory Snake's house.

Best thing about that day was "DAYUUM!"

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
:laugh: DAYUM that was fun, I lost alot more matches than I thought I would, mainly from me saving Marth for competitive matches only, people refuse to face me if I use Marth, trying out Jigglypuff and Young Link was fun.

Still wish we got Brawl working though

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Hey Jaime, thanks for the spoiler tag.

I'm working my way through brawl, it's a lot of fun. The Subspace Emissary levels kind of suck, but the fmv sequences before and after a lot of the levels are amazing.
Once I've unlocked all the characters myself, I'm safe for Brawl discussion, and I'm totally up for any brawl tournaments or friendly matches that are going around the place.

I played some matches with Tadonnen and a friend of mine yesterday, and it was kind of cool to actually NOT know everybody's moves and specials and stuff. It also means no one person really wins all the matches.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
(Directed to Luma)
Looking back over Risky's original post, there were alot of rules we didnt follow, we'll have to be more careful next time.

(Directed to everyone else)
Speaking of next time, since Brawl is coming out soon, will future tournaments be Melee or Brawl tournaments. I have a feeling I will have no where near the skill I have in Melee, in Brawl

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
There'd be a hell of a lot more interest in Brawl tournys but since we're fairly new as a nation to the whole tournament thing (correct me if i'm wrong, just Tir Na Smash was the first one I'd heard about) I'd vote for running both, since the thrill of Melee tournament won't wear off us for a long time to come.
We should definitely organise another one over the Summer though, a Melee tournament running off the back of an advertised Brawl tournament would be fairly successful methinks. Brawl gets the numbers in while Melee would provide, in my opinion, the better spectacle/gameplay experience.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
I know what you mean, sort of, I've yet to play Brawl but I gave Melee to a friend for a lend, so I downloaded the original Smash Bros, which was surprisingly fun, and Melee felt so relieving and free, compared to the slow original.

And Dave, thanks for the offer of the Freeloader, but Matt and I agreed that we'll just wait for Brawl to come out since its out pretty soon now, Matt's afraid of messing up his Wii

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
What are you guys' opinions on the Ice Climbers infinite chain grab, should it be allowed in tournaments here? The general thing seems to be that it shouldn't get banned, but it's remarkably broken and I think some tournys are banning it. Boooo Ice Climbers.
I'm personally against banning it, because banning a technique is both tricky to enforce, and because it IS a part of the game.. but it should NEVER have been included and I would personally feel cheated if I were defeated by such a technique.

(For anyone who's not seen it, if you get grabbed by an IC main who has learned the technique to perfection, you die. To the best of my knowledge, it's so far deemed unescapable.)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WiW90quHDqg
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pF6Gfa63TaA&feature=related

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
I think it really just depends on the host, whether or not he wants it banned. Personally I wouldnt ban it unless it was an easy technique to do. Also I dont think it can work on everyone

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
I'm against banning it for sure, as it only works if both icies are present and in-synch, the trick is to just separate them and do your best to not get grabbed. Besides, even with Wobbling the Icies still don't match up to Marth, Sheik, Spacies etc.

To me it's the same kind of thing as waveshining - inescapable, but certainly not gamebreaking, besides, does anyone here even play Icies?

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
No way, Ice Climbers suck, its Bowser all the way for me! Nah just kidding, I main Marth, C. Falcon, Jiggs and Sheik, I also use Bowser and Luigi

Probably wrong thread, but does anyone here play the original Smash Bros. online? Im not very good yet and a crappy internet connection doesnt help, but its good fun

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
I was huge fan of the original Smash Bros. One of the best things on the N64.

Dunno how to play it online though.

Also, apologies to Jamie for spelling his name wrong enough times to prompt a sig change.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Its not too difficult, you need Project 64k (an emulator) and the Rom, http://www.sitesled.com/members/myztek/index.html, follow the instructions on that page carefully and you should be able to get it going

Getting a controller for your pc though is recommended, I was lucky to have one lying around, playing with the keyboard is very awkward but apparently there are some keyboard experts out there

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
I won't be able to test this out till I've got my gaming rig set up again, which will require me to clean my new apartment, which is hard because I'm lazy :D

No worries about controllers though, I have adapters to hook PS2 and GCN controllers up to PCs.

Top Bottom