• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tir na Smash - Results and Vids

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
I could bring maybe... 4 or 5.

Once everyone does that, I say we could tally up the amount of people who are going and decide on a venue!

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Also, it's cool if not, but we're still looking for a finalised venue, any chance we could host it in your place?
Sorry guys, I live in a one bedroom flat, I could barely host my own breakfast.

Keep me posted though.

I'd be pretty cool to get my butt handed to me by two of the top ten players in the UK.

Askeflink

Smash Journeyman
No chanse of me coming, but I allways find it interesting to see a new community grow and flow. I read the whole thread, and I really think you can make it. Not just a silly 10-man smashfest(not that smashfests sucks, they rock^^), but a real tournament. Heck, they even hosted one in Iceland! That one seemed hard, but with right above 300 thousand countrymen, Stormblast fixed a tournament with ca. 20 people. He advartised on Nintendo.is.

But it's much easier in a country like Ireland. Advertise in all kind a gaming forums, on gaming sites, schools, posters and anywhere you might find interest. This CAN be a pretty nice tournament if you go for it. Even if it's the first.

You aren't far behind Norway in population, and with North it reaches around 6. Norway have a pretty nice smash-scene. We have a really good relationship with the Swedes. Our largest tournaments have over 50 people,(including Swedes) and I see possibility for growth everywhere. At my school, forums everywhere and so on. I think Brawl will really bring a lot of possibilities, and I'm looking forward to it. That counts for you too, so good luck making a scene. I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work for you :)

Hope my post didn't bore you. :p Good luck finding a venue, and go for it! ;) *thumbsup*

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'm English...If that counts? :ohwell:
Counts for what? :confused: If you mean are you welcome then the answer is of course yes, all are more than welcome to attend.

@ NorwegianLink - Well, thanks a lot for the encouragement. And good advice about the advertising, I'll be sure to take it.

cheers ;)

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Soooo I'm back from France and I'm planning and I see there's been a lot of discussion over the past few days ^^
Just before I left, however, I talked to Pikaville, and the plan he had for hosting it at a friends' house didn't work out, but there's still hope - I'm calling a place tomorrow that's a good candidate for a venue.

Ed, you show up. 'd be great.

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Okay so guys, I was looking around for a viable venue.

I spoke to the organisers of "Vaticon", which is a gaming convention hosted by the UCD gaming society, and they said they'd be willing to give us space and screens there, provided we were able to bring enough equipment and people to have a tournament.

I'm going to need an idea of numbers of interested participant numbers, and also people willing to bring Wiis/Gamecubes, Controllers and copies of Smash.

Vaticon runs from April 4th to 6th.

More information about Vaticon in general can be found here:
http://www.ucd.ie/gamesoc/website/Vaticon.html

There won't be any information about the Smash Tournament itself until I'm satisfied we have sufficient interest.

Fresh topic about it here for anyone not still hanging around at the back of this one:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4044305#post4044305

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
I'd be able to go and bring about 3 - 5 freiends, all with a controller each, possibly three copies of Smash, a Wii, maybe a TV...

But I'm definately in. Thanks for getting us a venue! It really means a lot to all of us Irish Smashers

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Ahahahah, legend, this is quality, nice work

I'll almost definitely be there, with a couple of friends

How much does this cost by the way?

Also, doesn't really seem necessary to start a whole new thread, I'll just update this one, with honourable mention of yourself of course

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I was wondering that too, will we need an entry fee? Even if we don't NEED one, I'm sure it'd be nice to have a prize of money at the end

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Excellent, excellent

And out of interest, aside from the entry fee, how much does everyone think we should pay into a pot for prize money? How much is customary?

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Fiver, tenner max. I mean, if we can get people like pikaville to bring 6, that's 60 Euro if they all bring a tenner, 30 if they bring five

Keep it a low amount seeing as it's the first one

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't focus too much on the pricing guys, the convention itself is most likely going to cost in the €10-€15 range for a weekend attendance ticket, and we're probably going to end up putting between €3 to €5 each in the pot.

I don't know the actual prices yet, but I don't expect any of us to be dropping more than €20 total into this weekend.

There are however some other things we need to work out:

Convention Setup:

My realistic expectation is that we're able to get two screens at the con. Depending on how many people we have around at the time, I was thinking that maybe we do one screen dedicated to fun 4-player, low item free for alls; and one screen for proper no-item final destination one-on-ones. "Winner stays on" being the only concrete rule.

They did this once at a convention I was at, and it seemed to work well enough. More people got to play on the free for all game, and the super elite smash players got to sit smugly on the one-on-one machine and beat down challenger after challenger.

Any other set-ups suggestions are welcome.

Tournament Rules/Time:

The convention in the halls is on Saturday and Sunday, so we need to decide what day to have the actual Tournament, and at around what time.

We also need to decide upon some rules we can all agree on.

The only Irish tournament I've been to before was with Pikaville (Hello Pikaville!) and his friends at UCD (where they kicked my butt), but they had some odd level choices on there, like Mute City.

I don't mind what we do outside of tournament times, but for the actual competition itself, I'd rather our final stage selections were a bit less..... random.

I was however pretty happy with the 5-stock 3-minutes time limit rule they had though.

So suggestions?

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Well I don't have much if any interest in any items FFAs, but it is a good idea, sounds good to me

As for the "competitive" screen - Final Destination only? Can you say dull? Any neutral/counterpick stage should be fine, or whatever the players decide on

And about tournament rules we can all agree on, hows about MLG official rules http://www.mlgpro.com/wiki/index.php/Official_MLG_SSBM_Settings

Time? Saturday over Sunday for sure, whenever people will be arriving, I don't know, start the tourney at 12ish?

I suppose a fiver should be fine for pay-in, people can always do money matches if they want. Oh, and I have Tournament Maker 2 on my laptop, so we can use that to help co-ordinate things, double elimination right? Or single, if double would take too long?

And speaking of double, what about a doubles tourney hmmm?

What do yall think?

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
I think perhaps the MLG rules page has been maliciously altered:

Rules
General Rules

* Play the game the wrong way. Playing it correctly may result in disqualification if caught.
* Items will be turned off.

Controllers

* You are responsible for bringing your own controller.
* Clackan Gaems

Selection

* Every stage except for Final Destination is BANNED.

Other Rules

* Fox and Falco only. Selecting another character is grounds for disqualification.
* If you have fun you WILL be disqualified.
* If you are under 300 lbs. (approx. 136 kg) you will be disqualified.
Final Destination was just an example, but my point was that we could have one TV for more serious running matches, and one for more fun matches.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
I suppose we could have the major tournament first, y'know, one on ones, no items, etc., then at the end for a bonus do a "Team Tournament".

Either have the Team Tournament after the whole singles are finished or maybe a break between every five matches or something.

I'd prefer after the whole singles is finished

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Haahaha, I just saw realised that, a little too late, well I'm sure we can track down the official rules, they're pretty solid overall

And obviously singles gets priority, I was just throwing doubles out there

Actually, I'm going to update with some trial rules, let me know what you think needs to be changed and we can discuss it, everyone. We are organising this thing, we don't have to use a pre-made ruleset

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
I went back to the last time the page was edited and found the proper rules.

Rules
General Rules

* Lives will be set at 4 stock with an 8 minute time limit.
* Ties will be broken by stock left and then by percentage of health. Sudden death will be played if both the stock and percentage are tied at the end of the time limit.
* Items will be turned off.

Controllers

* You are responsible for bringing your own controller.
* Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. Tournament staff may randomly inspect any controller at their discretion. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be immediately disqualified from the tournament.
* Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.

Stage Selection

* The higher seed has first choice for their seat(s) and controller port(s). The higher seeded team has first choice for their team color. Teams must sit together on one side or the other. If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in a specific bracket, the winner of the 1st series will have seat and controller choice.
* The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random unless both players/teams can agree on a stage. After the stage has been randomly selected each player/team may call for a reset. Each player/team can only call for a reset once during a series. If a reset is called, another stage must be randomly selected. The stage that was first selected can't be randomly selected again, but is still available for a counter pick.
* Singles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium
* Doubles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Rainbow Cruise, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium, DK64
* Stages not listed on the random select list that are not banned are open for counter picks by the losing player.
* Stages banned for Singles Only: Great Bay and Mushroom Kingdom 2
* Stages banned for Doubles Only: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City
* Stages banned for Singles & Doubles: Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach's Castle, and Kongo Jungle, Onett.
* No stage may be used twice in a Best of 3 or Best of 5 Series. The random select stages are the only stages that may be used more than once in a Best of 9 or Best of 11 series.
* After characters have been selected for the first game, each player/team may choose to knock out one stage. Stages that are knocked out won't be used during the series. Random select stages can't be knocked out. The lower seeded player/team must make their knockout selection first. Once the first game has started, stages can't be knocked out.
* After each game of a series, the player who lost the previous game may choose the stage for the next game or elect for it to be chosen randomly. After the stage has been selected, the winner of the previous game may change characters. After the winner has chosen their character, the loser of the previous game may change characters.
* For the first game of a series, a player may call for a double-blind pick. This means that all participating players must tell a judge the character they will use for that game. Each player is required to use that character in the game.
* If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in their respective Open bracket and they played a Best of 3 in the Winners Bracket, their series will expand to a best of 7, include the previous series, and pick up where that series left off. For example, if Team A beat Team B 2 games to 0 in the Winners Bracket, the Best of 7 will resume with Game 3 and Team A leading 2 games to 0. The loser of the 1st series will choose the stage for the 1st game of the 2nd series.
* If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in their respective Open bracket and they played a Best of 3 in the Winners Bracket, their series will expand to a best of 9, include the previous series, and pick up where that series left off. For example, if Team A beat Team B 3 games to 0 in the Winners Bracket, the Best of 9 will resume with Game 4 and Team A leading 3 games to 0. The loser of the 1st series will choose the stage for the 1st game of the 2nd series.
* During Championship Bracket competitions, players may ask for a double-blind pick during games four and five of a series. Players must call for the pick after the loser of the previous game has chosen the next game's stage.
* If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in either Championship Bracket, their series will expand to a best of 11, include the previous series, and pick up where that series left off. For example, if Player A beat Player B 3 games to 0 in the Winners Bracket, the Best of 11 will resume with Game 4 and Player leading 3 games to 0. The loser of the 1st series will choose the stage for the 1st game of the 2nd series and players may call for a double-blind pick before any game throughout the best of 11.
* If the players/teams meeting in the Finals have not yet faced each other in a series and the team coming from the Losers Bracket wins the first series, another series must be played to break the tie since both players/teams would only have one series loss.

Other Rules

* Any unnecessary pausing of the game will result in a forfeit of that single game.
* Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
* Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.
* Players/teams may designate a coach when they register for a competition, however, this coach may not be registered as a player for either a Singles or Doubles competition. Coaches may not instruct players during games, but may consult with players for a maximum of 1 minute between games. Once the stage for the next game has been selected, players may not talk to their coach.
* For Doubles matches, Team Attack is ON.
* For Doubles matches, life stealing is allowed.
I don't think we should lose any sleep over a doubles tournament at the moment, since we don't really have any solid idea of attendance, and playing doubles will half the number of entrants.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I can bring 3 tvs 3 wii's and 3 copies of smash(not all mine but friends too)

I really want this to happen.Its been ages since I played FTW!

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this is coming along great. At first I thought "Meh, it won't happen", but ever since Ed and DeadEyeDave (and of course Risky for starting the whole thing) came in I was like "Hey, this is coming along".

I'll bring a GameCube, a controller, a MEMORY CARD can't forget that and a camcorder, so we can watch it again and again on YouTube

Pikaville

I can also bring unlimited amounts of gamecube controllers.......I have connections.

Oh and to Kone.My friends might let you guys stay at theirs.I spend most of my time there and its their own place so I dont see why not.Ill stay there with you guys too so we can smash it up big style before the tournament.Ill let you know ASAP.

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Goooooood stuff, actually gettin kind of excited now, it's not so far away, 4 weeksish

And Deadeyedave, when are we getting put on the Vaticon site as confirmed? Be nice to have it up in lights

Well lets keep it coming

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Risky, I think it'd be a good idea to edit the first page and say what everyone needs to bring, e.g., a controller, copy of Smash, memory card, etc., 'cos I don't know if we need to bring a GameCube and TV or what.

Thanks in advance! And tell your friends about the tourney, everyone

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
hmmm yeah good idea, but what do we need to bring? Controllers, copies of smash, GCs, memory cards and lots of them all. But what of TVs? How much space do we have? Cause it'd suck to have more TVs that stations. The Vaticon site doesn't reveal much, maybe Deadeyedave can tell us more, hmmm?

Oh and is everyone satisfied with the rules or are there any stage legality issues you have or what?

cheers

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Is this event over wi-fi?
No, no, sure it's a Melee tournament. If you live near UCD (or have a way of transport to get there), come along, we'd love to have you there. Just read the beginning post on the first page to get all the info

Pikaville

I think the officia lMLG rules are:

4 stock
8 minutes
Battlefield,final destination,fountain of dreams,dreamland n64,yoshis story and pokemon stadium are the only levels allowed on the 1st random of each set.(So the 1st out of three would be randomly picked out of the ones listed above)
Im pretty sure you can counterpick most stages if you lose the 1st random .

I also think the final in the singles has to be best of 7

Just out of interest,Who are the Irish players mains?

Mine are Sheik,Falco and Marth.

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Yeah those are the rules more or less, check the first post, I have the rules up

Mains? C. Falcon, Marth, Link

What about everyone else?

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Link all the way for me.

And what about a name for the tournament? I say "Smash na hEireann" but that's too obvious. Anyone got better ones?

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Oh I got it, the perfect name "The Smash of the Irish", as in "The Luck of the Irish"

What do you think?

Edit: Or oh oh, if that's too obvious, "The Luck of the Smash", yeah?

Billychu

Smash Cadet
Remember, it's not just Irish people who are able to come. Anyone is welcome. So if you English people want to witness our first tournament, feel free to come along and play!

That goes to any other non Irish smashers as well
I visited Dublin once and I'm like 90% Irish blood. If for some reason I end up in Ireland magically or something, count me in my brothers!

But too bad I have to live in america...

Top Bottom