• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tir na Smash - Results and Vids

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
That gives me time to practice :laugh:. Tell me whenever you got everything set up so we can have a few games

By the way, where did you get one of those adaptors and how much were they? I'd much prefer my GC controller to this crappy "Thrustmaster" (thats its actual name) controller

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
Also, apologies to Jamie for spelling his name wrong enough times to prompt a sig change.
Haha oh no Dave, that wasn't your doing at all. It's meant as a very subtle dig at the people who use the annonyminity afforded by the internet to be total jerks to other people on forums and such, and my foregoing of that ability. It's the littlest rebellion of all time..:)
I'm definitely going to get into the Smash64 online scene once I get a reasonably quick PC, I remember getting Smash64 at launch after geting a Nintendo magazine a while before it came out here listing everyones special moves and smashes and such, started learning how to play before I even bought it. Oh nostalgia..

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Since its just an emulator, you wont need a particularly good PC to play Smash online, I have a crap PC and it runs fairly smooth offline. Online is a slightly different story for me, you do need a good internet connection, something that I unfortunately lack. I often get kicked from games because of lag caused by my connection

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
My laptop has Windows Vista on it though.. (Vista sucks. Hiy-o!) All games run obscenely slow on it, but that'll be fixed once I get a different operating system up and running. How fast is your internet connection out of curiosity? ours is like 1mg or something, not entirely sure but it was the slowest broadband package going anyway. Mario Kart runs fine online with it but I'd campaign to my parents for an upgrade if that's not enough to play Smash online reasonably smoothly.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Roughly 600 kb/s, according to http://www.speedtest.net/. Im in serious need of an upgrade, 1v1 matches arent too bad, about an 11 frame delay, 3-player matches are alright unless some one has a terrible connection, and 4-player matches can be extremely laggy

EDIT: After a second attempt of the test, results are 1200 kb/s. So I'd recommend and upgrade if you want to play Smash online

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Brawl tournament soon?

Im pretty sure Marth is unstoppable.

Also Icies chain grab is even more broken now.Check it on youtube.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
we need an ireland vs england crew battle :)

=) nice red marth who ever that was
That was me, thanks :chuckle:

An Ireland vs. England crew battle would be cool, but I have no way of getting to England anytime soon

Brawl tournament soon?

Im pretty sure Marth is unstoppable.

Also Icies chain grab is even more broken now.Check it on youtube.
I would definitly go for a Brawl tournament as long as there's a Melee one as well. I'm probably the only person in this thread who has yet to play Brawl so I'd probably get knocked out pretty early on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nvR9x8tm-I&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHfGqpHBZI4
These two videos prove Ice Climbers are broken. Sakurai's dream of a "balanced Smash Bros." has really ****ed up

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
we need an ireland vs england crew battle :)
Yay, let's settle all them old scores once and for all.:chuckle:

[wishful thinking] The crew battle thing could be very easy to do if the wi-fi gets improved in the PAL release. [/wishful thinking]

I tried playing as Marth for a few rounds and he was very effective, definitely going to give him a fair amount of my time when I get Brawl.
Along with the Icies after watching those videos again, though I never liked playing as them in Melee.

Pikaville

A crew battle would be epic.Id definitly have to get my friend dave on the team,his Marth is sick.

My friend is having a brawl tournament this coming friday at his house if anyone is interested.Ill tell him that some of you guys are coming(im sure he wont mind) if you are up for it.We could have some melee too.

Oh and to gory snake.Im sure your Marth would be just as good in brawl if not better(I kinda prefer brawl Marth)

Im convinced the only reason I won the melee tournament was down to all the advanced techs I know,which as we know are gone in brawl,taking away my advantage.I reckon it will be a much closer skill level in the brawl scene when it gets going.

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
Aidan's been nerfed, game on!:grin:
I'd definitely like to attend, as long as your friend genuinely doesn't mind randomers. (You'd think I'd be studying for college exams next week, there's Smash-commitment for ya.)
Whereabouts is it on?

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, Im really disappointed about my performance at the tournament, Michael and Zac could have easily beaten me, I think I just got lucky. The finals itself I did horribly in, times where I could have punished Aidan went wasted as he combo'd and fair'd the crap out of me. Before the tournament I hadnt played the game in over a month and never learnt how to SHFFL or Wavedash. Since then I've been practicing techniques and have improved greatly since the tournament. Im looking forward to the next one.

As for the Brawl tournament at your friends house, I wont be able to make it, busy weekend unfortunately.

Pikaville

Dude his house is in goatstown(if you know where that is)he's starting it at about 7.If you want ill PM you my number and I could meet you at the goat in goatstown.His house is 2 mins away from there.

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
Yepyep I know Goatstown. (You mentioned somewhere in the thread that you're from Dundrum I think.. I'm in Ballinteer, we're basically neighbours.^_^) I think I'll have to give a miss though, I've too much work to do unfortunately. Will make it next time hopefuly, g'luck in the tournament.

Post vids if ya can!

Kone

Smash Master
pikevile- get on a plane and come to newcastle next weekend for the first uk national brawl tourney. sat may 24th. housing available fri and sat. tis worth it !

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Ireland VS. England is thinking a bit too far but hell I'd love to do it. Once Brawl comes out I'd be able to, what with exams and all (they just ruin everything, don't they?).

Perhaps more teams could grow out of that, e.g., Europe vs. America, East Vs. West, Earth vs. Neptune, etc.

As for now, I'm currently anticipating for Brawl, I haven't played Melee in aaaaages. However, I think now is the time to organise yet another tournament for the end of June. Anytime before that and you'll be missing 3rd and 6th year students (and perhaps some college students like Eriatarka).

SO, WHO'S UP FOR ANOTHER TOURNAMENT???

Pikaville

Oh man.If I had a little more notice I may have been able to come.I just got my new passport and I got a load of tax money back so I could come maybe.Ill PM you Kone during the week.

BTW I came 2nd at the brawl tournament on Friday.The guy who won owns the game so Im not p****d or anything.(Before the tournament even started I said he was my odds on to win)Im definitly thinking of maining Pika again after the sudden realisation of his awesomeness in brawl.To bad it was too late by then.

Oh and to Lynkx.Im definitly up for another tournament.End of June sounds good to me.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
I cant wait for the next tournament, I'll see if my friend can go this time, last time he couldn't go because, coincidentally, he came 2nd in a Tae Kwon Do tournament. I dont know if would want to go though, whenever we play I beat him 9 out of 10 times, and that 1 time I lose is usually me playing as Young Link or somebody

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
Earth vs. Neptune, etc.
:laugh:
After the 5th of June I'm off for 4 months so I'll gladly attend or help organise anything Smash related after that date. We should try get sponsorship for the next one, whenever they do game tournaments in college they're usually fairly small but they still get a good game or whatever off Gamestop in return for putting their logo on the posters, seems worth it if it attracts more people and the winer gets a nicer prize.

Im definitly thinking of maining Pika again after the sudden realisation of his awesomeness in brawl.
I'm flicking over to Pikachu too after seeing Anthers' videos. (This one's quite good) . Some of that quick attack stuff looks excellent.

Pikaville

It really does doesn't it.I'm now definitely decided that melee is better than brawl.Although I do like brawl,melee is just so much faster.

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Dammit guys, an IT techy at my company deleted my "unapproved" copy of Firefox with all my bookmarks and passwords and stuff, so I forgot to recheck this topic until now.

I totally would have come to your tournament Aidan, or anyone elses. So let me know if anything else is going on guys.

Also, don't have your Wiis vertical. Apparently Brawl is the Wii's first dual layer disc, and it's so easy to scratch that it can be scratched by simply having the console playing while vertical, by dust, or especially by cigarette smoke.

I had mine vertical, and one of my nephews yanked on the controller cord ever so gently, knocked the console over, and now the disc is deeply scratched and completely unplayable.

I'm waiting for the EU release to pick up another copy. I didn't even get to unlock all the characters :(

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
I had mine vertical, and one of my nephews yanked on the controller cord ever so gently, knocked the console over, and now the disc is deeply scratched and completely unplayable.

I'm waiting for the EU release to pick up another copy. I didn't even get to unlock all the characters :(
Wow, that must suck. I'm going down to Game today (I think) to preorder a copy. And on June 27th, HOPEFULLY I will have one major sleepover with three different sets of Smash fans: n00b, casual and pro.

You up for a tournament near the end of June, Dave?

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering where you went Dave, hard luck with Brawl, at least the wait is only a month now. Hopefully I'll be getting the game myself so we can all play online. Now I wonder whatever happened to Risky?

Pikaville

My friend Zac said he'll have a tournament when he gets back from America.Ill keep you posted.That scratch thing is awful man jesus!

Pikaville

Goos news guys I just moved in with 3 of my frinds so we can have smashfests at my house whenever we want.We should have a mini tournament soon!

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Goos news guys I just moved in with 3 of my frinds so we can have smashfests at my house whenever we want.We should have a mini tournament soon!
I love geese too!

Nah, I'm just kidding. Yeah, I would love to do that. Maybe Saturday next week? I have Metalwork the Tuesday after but it's Metal work, no need to study (then after that I'm free!)

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
I've just finished my exams (Passed 4 out of 5 I reckon, w00t!) so i'm going to start looking around for venues that might hold a full Smash tourny, unless anyone has any suggestions already? UCD was pretty cool though, since it already had tvs which is a big plus. Do you know is it usually available to book along with the tvs Dave, or were they only there because if the convention?

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
I don't know Jamie, but I'll try to find out (might be tricky since all the guys I was speaking to at UCD are finished classes for the summer).

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
If we do get somewhere to host the tournament, we might need it either for the entire day or for 2 days, if we do a double elimination tournament

Also the question thats been on my mind, Melee or Brawl?

Melee!

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
We're gonna need more pros and whatnot. Invite the same people as last time but with more people, I'm sure there are Smash Pros hiding somewhere. How about everyone gets a job to help organise another tourney/Free Money for Aidan Day?

I'll be in charge of the advertising.

I'm not the boss of anyone, so I'll let you's decide whatever job you want to have

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Within my spare time (procastinating from studying) I had read over tournament rules and such, so I can help run the tournament itself. But other than advertising, finding a location, and the running of the tournament itself, what others are there?

nowe

Smash Rookie
hi guys!!
i just read through almost all of this thread and im really intrested
and i gotta say fair play to you guys for getting an event togheter must have taken alot of work!!

i live in dublin/carlow(hard to explain :p ) and i would love to take part in any event you get going and i wouldnt mind helping out planning,advertiseing and setting up with them

and i wont really have any time to get on the net for a little while so if one of you could kepp me posted through msn or e-mail that would be great!!!
my e-mail is eoghanbehandoyle@hotmail.com

Pikaville

Always good to have new people come along good work.I suggest e-mailing deadeyedave for info on upcoming tournaments.I hope there's one soon.

Top Bottom