• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Timeline Discussion

*Dead Poll*

• Total voters

Scott!

Smash Lord
That possibility with sleeping Zelda being THE Zelda blew my mind a little bit, especially with how Zelda 2 isn't a "Legend of Zelda". I'm not convinced of it yet, but it made me go O_O for a bit, and it's very worth considering.

Also, there goes having 1337 posts. 'Twas fun while it lasted.

EkulTheKing

Smash Rookie
I'm not exactly where i got that number either... I had it when I wrote this up a few months ago, so I kept it in when I copied it over. The main thing I base that on, is that Termina would still be there, mostly with everything destroyed, and a massive crater in the middle. That way, we can tie in ST nicely without having to worry about landscape differences haha.

The main reason sleeping Zelda is the original Zelda is because I didn't want to have to go into how likely it is that daughters would be named after their mothers for however many generations until the royal decree.

And Spire... that's a really good theory, admittedly I don't like how it kind of screws over my timeline, but other than that it's really great.

The main reason for putting PH and ST in Termina was to explain the technology, but I suppose that PH and ST could take place in Hyrule, with technology that possibly survived from Termina, or was brought over before the moon crashed (technically apocalypse is not the correct word). It kind of depends on what the overworld looks like in Spirit Tracks. PH could be in a different area of Hyrule and ST there too. That way Zelda/Link could travel back to check on the Four Sword... and my timeline could still work out.

If anyone from Nintendo is listening... another game assuredly set in Termina on Adult Link's side would be great.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm not exactly where i got that number either... I had it when I wrote this up a few months ago, so I kept it in when I copied it over. The main thing I base that on, is that Termina would still be there, mostly with everything destroyed, and a massive crater in the middle. That way, we can tie in ST nicely without having to worry about landscape differences haha.

The main reason sleeping Zelda is the original Zelda is because I didn't want to have to go into how likely it is that daughters would be named after their mothers for however many generations until the royal decree.

And Spire... that's a really good theory, admittedly I don't like how it kind of screws over my timeline, but other than that it's really great.

The main reason for putting PH and ST in Termina was to explain the technology, but I suppose that PH and ST could take place in Hyrule, with technology that possibly survived from Termina, or was brought over before the moon crashed (technically apocalypse is not the correct word). It kind of depends on what the overworld looks like in Spirit Tracks. PH could be in a different area of Hyrule and ST there too. That way Zelda/Link could travel back to check on the Four Sword... and my timeline could still work out.

If anyone from Nintendo is listening... another game assuredly set in Termina on Adult Link's side would be great.
Well hey, your timeline debunks a lot of what my timeline in the OP states, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Currently, I don't believe there's one correct timeline. I believe there are those that are accurate and those that are not, and it's pretty difficult to point out which are which, seeing as how it's such a suggestive idea.

When ST was announced, Aonuma said that it would be a nod to the long-time fans of the series, which I read as, "we're going to be tying this game into the Hyrule of the first two games". Effectively, ST may be one of the most important Zelda games in a long time as it seems to bridge the old and new Hyrules.

Personally, I think PH takes place simply in an extended part of the world. Seeing as how Hyrule is landlocked, with the world being flooded, it would make travel to other lands much easier. There's absolutely no evidence of Link, Tetra, and friends falling into a wormhole to the Terminian dimension.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I was thinking . . . In AlttP, When one enters the Dark World, they transform to a form that represents their heart.

Does this having any bearing on Ganondorf in AlttP?

Spire

III
BRoomer
I was thinking . . . In AlttP, When one enters the Dark World, they transform to a form that represents their heart.

Does this having any bearing on Ganondorf in AlttP?
Well we only encountered Ganon in ALttP and that was in the Dark World, so it might be possible that if he had entered the Light World, then he would have become Ganondorf.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I love reading stuff like this. I'm always interested in other people's views on the storyline.

Anyway, might as well give some insight to things I've noticed.

So browsing through Wikipedia, I came across a chronology of sorts. Other than what has been said (of the two timelines), it says what games predate what games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_zelda

Essentially, Link to the Past predates the first Legend of Zelda and Zelda 2, which we know the first two games are of the same Link. Ocarina of Time, which we already know, predates those games and sets up the split in the timeline, with Majora as the direct sequel to OoT in the Child Timeline. TP is in the child side, set 100 years after, and WW/PH is set hundereds of years in the Adult timeline, and it says ST will be set 100 years after PH. What is interesting is that Aonuma states Minish Cap, Four Swords, and Four Swords adventures take place BEFORE Ocarina of Time. So that kinda skews what's already been said.

But things I've noticed...I've recently been playing TP again, and one thing I thought was interesting. I honestly think that Ganondorf is actually the OoT Ganondorf. It's said that when Link when back in time, they arrested Ganondorf and sentenced him to death. Obviously they could not, as Ekul has pointed out already. So while one Ganon was trapped in the Sacred Realm, one was trapped in the Twilight Realm. But Ekul pointed out the Prank by the goddesses, set when Ganon escaped the Sacred Realm, probably a few years or decades after. So how does it pick Ganon in one timeline when the other is picked years earlier? My theory is how it's always a Link, always a Zelda, always a Ganon that is picked. But more than that, it's how even seven years ahead of time, both Young Link and Adult Link can have the same gear. Because they are always picked, the year seperation does not matter, only the fact the triforce is split, and it picks their own bearers.

One last thing, in WW when you are within the area of the Master Sword, all around you are glass windows showing the 6 sages from OoT. However, in TP, they are all wearing masks, and are said to be the wisemen who were the teachers of the Royal Family. I think this has to do with the sages being awakened in the Adult timeline, yet were not in the Child timeline. So maybe with any future games, we can figure out the timeline based on who's considered the sages?

That's my two cents. As for what game goes in what order, you got me. What you guys stated is pretty good already, besides the whole Four Swords and Minish Cap sagas set before OoT, as stated by the director. And I do think this sleeping Zelda in Zelda 2 is the first Zelda, born before any of the other Zeldas. I do think the back story of Minish Cap is the first, followed by the sleeping Zelda story, then probably Minish Cap, the Four Swords Saga, then the OoT split, and your guess after that is as good as mine.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The only thing I really disagree with is that FS/FSA comes before OoT. I read that once on wikipedia, but because there's no reference to any article, I would discount the credibility in that statement.

I've looked for said article/interview, but have not found anything.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Well, Wikipedia actually links to the article.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200405/N04.0517.1915.59084.htm

Essentially, the question and answer is this -

"BB: That’s something that, you (Bill Trinen – Localization Team) and I have talked about with the release of the Zelda compilation disc, cleaning up some of the spellings like Ganon, and making sure everything is cohesive. Maybe that’s an American thing – us wanting to know how it all works together. I guess that leads me to my next questions. How do the Links in The Four Swords Adventure relate to the overall story line? Or is it just a subchapter or something like that?"

"EA: The GBA Four Swords Zelda is what we’re thinking as the oldest tale in the Zelda timeline. With this one on the GameCube being a sequel to that, and taking place sometime after that."

Take it however you will, but since it comes from Eiji himself, there's gotta be something to it. And I agree, I don't know how Four Swords fits in early, but we gotta take this quote in whatever way we can.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Wow. Well according to that, the timeline reads:

--------------------------------WW/PH - ST - ALttP/OoX/LA - LoZ/AoL
TMC - FS/FSA - OoT{
--------------------------------MM - TP

However, they've changed their thoughts on the placement of games so many times before, that, "Four Swords Zelda is what we're thinking as the oldest tale in the Zelda timeline," does not seem to be very credible, seeing as how:
a) He's also said that TMC is the first (it would have to be)
b) After TP came out, he said that OoT was the first

EkulTheKing

Smash Rookie
Note that he only said thaT FSA occurs sometime after FS, not that it occurs directly after. As far as I know the only complete truth about TMC-FS-FSA is that they occur in that order, but that other games may or may not be between them.

That stuff you said before about ganon in the sacred realm in alttp pretty much fixes my ganon confusion.
suppose that ganon in oot is oot only (you see ganondorf being banished in the ending movie.)
then, as I figured, he is spit out, and the triforce splits, WW occurs, FS is sealed in SR/Dark World. Ganondorf gets trident and fsa occurs in a sacred realm/real world mixture, and the final fight is in the SR. Ganon is sealed in four sword, and four sword is sealed in SR. Ganon begins to corrupt the SR, and aghanim breaks the seal of the seven maidens, freeing ganon from the FS, and allowing him to take control of his minions in the newly created DW. Nothing else changes.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Note that he only said thaT FSA occurs sometime after FS, not that it occurs directly after. As far as I know the only complete truth about TMC-FS-FSA is that they occur in that order, but that other games may or may not be between them.

That stuff you said before about ganon in the sacred realm in alttp pretty much fixes my ganon confusion.
suppose that ganon in oot is oot only (you see ganondorf being banished in the ending movie.)
then, as I figured, he is spit out, and the triforce splits, WW occurs, FS is sealed in SR/Dark World. Ganondorf gets trident and fsa occurs in a sacred realm/real world mixture, and the final fight is in the SR. Ganon is sealed in four sword, and four sword is sealed in SR. Ganon begins to corrupt the SR, and aghanim breaks the seal of the seven maidens, freeing ganon from the FS, and allowing him to take control of his minions in the newly created DW. Nothing else changes.
-----------------------WW/PH - ST - FSA - ALttP/OoX/LA - LoZ/AoL
TMC - FS - OoT{
-----------------------MM - TP

Pre-TMC: Twili ancestors banished to Twilight Realm. Picori Blade brought to Hylians by the Picori. Zelda I put to sleep. The Legend of Zelda begins.
TMC: Picori Blade destroyed by Vaati, then reforged as Four Sword and used to seal Vaati away within it by Link I and Zelda II.
FS: Vaati breaks free and is resealed by Link II and Zelda III.
Pre-OoT: Master Sword and Temple of Time created. Ganondorf, Link III, and Zelda IV born.
OoT: Triforce split. Link III and Zelda IV seal Ganondorf in Sacred Realm (he corrupts it to become the Dark World).
Pre-WW: Ganondorf breaks out of SR, terrorizes Hyrule, and prompts the Goddesses to flood it.
WW: Link V and Zelda VI defeat Ganondorf.
PH: Link V and Zelda VI traverse further into the flooded world and find a new land to establish a new Kingdom.
ST: Link VI and Zelda VII do something in the new world (probably New Hyrule).
FSA: Link VII and Zelda VIII finally defeat Vaati and seal Ganon in the Four Sword in the Dark World.
Pre-ALttP: Ganon breaks free from the Four Sword.
ALttP: Link VIII defeats Ganon in the Dark World with the Master Sword and saves Zelda IX. The Master Sword is put to rest forever.
OoX: Link VIII defeats Ganon once again and saves Zelda IX.
LA: Link VIII gets shipwrecked and caught up in the Wind Fish's dream trying to sail back to Hyrule.
LoZ: Link IX kills Ganon with the Silver Arrows once and for all to save Zelda XI.
AoL: Link defeats Dark Link and awakens Zelda I.

The Legend of Zelda ends.

MM and TP, yadda yadda yadda...

EkulTheKing

Smash Rookie
That pretty much sums up my thoughts.
It is worth noting though, that ST may detail the creation of colonies in northern hyrule, while some people remain in south for alttp. Then, they migrate north between alttp and Loz.

Spire

III
BRoomer
That pretty much sums up my thoughts.
It is worth noting though, that ST may detail the creation of colonies in northern hyrule, while some people remain in south for alttp. Then, they migrate north between alttp and Loz.
I think by the time of LoZ/AoL, the world had completely drained due to the Great Deku Tree's success. I'm going to try and chronicle Hyrule:

Old Hyrule
TMC, FS, OoT // MM, TP

Flooded Hyrule + Expanded Ocean World
WW/PH

New Hyrule (based in Expanded Ocean World)
ST, FSA, ALttP/OoX/LA

Colonized Hyrule (LoZ takes place in drained Flooded Hyrule; AoL in New Hyrule, which includes LoZ Hyrule)
LoZ/AoL

Although, I'd also like to create a technology-based timeline:

-------------------------FSA - ALttP - (1) - LoZ/AoL - OoX(2)/LA - (3) - WW/PH - ST
TMC - FS - OoT{
-------------------------MM - TP

(1) = Hyrule expands to build numerous towns.
(2) = Ganon is resurrected (as hinted at in AoL), though abnormally, and is thus sealed away again in the Sacred Realm.
(3) = Link never returns after LA, Ganon breaks free, Hyrule is flooded.

EDIT: I added two more visual timelines to the OP. One labeled as Ekul's, and one as a hybrid between us both. I'd still like to encourage all of you to work towards crafting your own timelines!

D

Deleted member

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------http://screwattack.com/AVGN/2008/Zelda---------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS WILL ANSWER ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS hopefully

Spire

III
BRoomer
^ We've discussed that matter countless, countless times, and while it's a completely legitimate and logical theory, so too are those that support a timeline. Why? Because the timeline has been officially stated and supported by the creators many times over the past two decades. That's not something to repudiate.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
^ We've discussed that matter countless, countless times, and while it's a completely legitimate and logical theory, so too are those that support a timeline. Why? Because the timeline has been officially stated and supported by the creators many times over the past two decades. That's not something to repudiate.
Very true. If you're as chronologically confused about the timline as AVGN, you're likely to give up and assume there isn't one.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Very true. If you're as chronologically confused about the timline as AVGN, you're likely to give up and assume there isn't one.
After all, even our own history is confusing. But, do we cast it all off as bogus? One common misconception is the belief that "history repeats itself". Not true at all. The correct definition of history: "an agreed upon fable."

That's exactly what we're aiming to accomplish with Zelda, to agree on its chronological structure. We know the events that happen, it's just the order in which they occur that we debate over, and there's no reason to conclude that there is no timeline just because you can't seem to figure one out. There's logic to be had, so to those naysayers, I'd advise looking into the facts before joining some fraudulent elite that ignores all possibilities.

D

Deleted member

i have no idea what ur talking about but thats the best i can do. sorry if its no what you wanted or if u even watched it

Spire

III
BRoomer
This article might be of some use. I'm not sure if you guys have read it or not. Hopefully this can be of use.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200405/N04.0517.1915.59084.htm
I think one of the most important things in that interview was this:
Originally Posted by Eiji Aonuma
To me storyline is important, and as producer, I am going to be going through, and trying to bring all of these stories together, and kind of make them a little bit more clear. Unfortunately, we just haven’t done that yet.
So to all timeline naysayers, there's your official debunking right there.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Oh, so basically they don't have an exact timeline yet, but they're putting one together as we speak? Interesting...
Well that was from 2004 I think, so they may have a timeline worked out by now. Odds are though, and like I've always thought, they know as much about it as we do. We're all kind of figuring it out together, developers and audience, and that's the main thing about the Zelda universe that I love so dearly. We're all in this together.

EkulTheKing

Smash Rookie
It wouldn't surprise me if people from nintendo scan these forums and watch youtube vids to help themselves out...
If any of you see this... i think our timeline is pretty good haha!

theunabletable

Smash Lord
She's also the first Zelda because the Japanese translation of AoLs manual call her the Shodai Zelda. Which means First Generation, or Founder. I ****ing hate NoA sometimes :p

I'd like to note something about LttP/OoX/LA.

The Japanese translations of OoX (from Jacensolo of LA (LegendsAlliance)) make it pretty clear that Zelda has never met Link.

The FS is first quote was before the release of FS. And the opening/manual of FSA makes it quite clear that they have the same Link (prerelease quotes should always be taken with a grain of salt (TWW was stated to be first pre-release, and TP was stated to go between OoT and TWW. And the beta text from FSA shows that it was going to be the SW/IW, but that was scrapped, too).

Also, what was the reasoning behind LoZ/AoL going after LttP? Official order in 1998 was OoT-LoZ/AoL-LttP, just so ya know.

And Dan Owsen, the old localizer for NoA (he stopped translating after OoT. Bill Trinen was after him), stated that the box of LttP was wrong in 1999.

I'm too lazy to go through all the pages; so can anyone inform me to the reasons why you guys place them all on the AT? (nothing wrong with placing games on the AT. I heavily consider LoZ/AoL and OoX to go on the AT, but I'm mostly wondering the reasoning behind LttP on the AT)

About the whole MM thing.

Remember on the AT that the Happy Mask Man is gone. On the AT the Skull Kid may never have attacked the HMM and stolen the MM.

Spire

III
BRoomer
She's also the first Zelda because the Japanese translation of AoLs manual call her the Shodai Zelda. Which means First Generation, or Founder. I ****ing hate NoA sometimes :p

I'd like to note something about LttP/OoX/LA.

The Japanese translations of OoX (from Jacensolo of LA (LegendsAlliance)) make it pretty clear that Zelda has never met Link.

The FS is first quote was before the release of FS. And the opening/manual of FSA makes it quite clear that they have the same Link (prerelease quotes should always be taken with a grain of salt (TWW was stated to be first pre-release, and TP was stated to go between OoT and TWW. And the beta text from FSA shows that it was going to be the SW/IW, but that was scrapped, too).
Hmm, I think I remember reading this a long time ago but not knowing the credibility behind it, so I passed it off. Can you get us sources? If so, then..

TMC - FS/FSA - OoT: AT, CT

And ALttP - OoX/LA (which is actually supported in my timeline in the OP).

Also, what was the reasoning behind LoZ/AoL going after LttP? Official order in 1998 was OoT-LoZ/AoL-LttP, just so ya know.

And Dan Owsen, the old localizer for NoA (he stopped translating after OoT. Bill Trinen was after him), stated that the box of LttP was wrong in 1999.

I'm too lazy to go through all the pages; so can anyone inform me to the reasons why you guys place them all on the AT? (nothing wrong with placing games on the AT. I heavily consider LoZ/AoL and OoX to go on the AT, but I'm mostly wondering the reasoning behind LttP on the AT)
At this point, I'm honestly not entirely sure why we placed LoZ/AoL after ALttP. I know in my timeline, it comes before due to the Triforce's state. It is never split after ALttP, so how could it be split in LoZ? That's my main reasoning. That timeline is heavily based on the changing state of the Triforce as I found it to be the most significant and universal aspect in the series and therefore, a timeline should rightfully be based around it.

About the whole MM thing.

Remember on the AT that the Happy Mask Man is gone. On the AT the Skull Kid may never have attacked the HMM and stolen the MM.
He's gone when you're an adult, yes.. but not when you're a child in the AT. Link exists in the AT up until Ganon's defeat, then he disappears. So presumably, the Happy Mask Salesman leaves Hyrule during OoT while you're sleeping for 7 years to go to Termina, but because you're in the Temple of Light, Skull Kid steals Majora's Mask and destroys Termina. Therefore, by the time you're an adult in OoT, Termina is gone and Skull Kid probably with it (there's no proof that any of the Skull Kids encountered as an adult in the Lost Woods are the Skull Kid).

So the reason why the Happy Mask Salesman is not found in Hyrule when you're an adult is because he died in Termina.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Hmm, I think I remember reading this a long time ago but not knowing the credibility behind it, so I passed it off. Can you get us sources?
Ok. http://forums.zeldainformer.com/topic/4132-japanese-re-translations/page__p__36466&#entry36466

That's where LOZH put all of the translations from the gigantic thread on LA.
f so, then..

TMC - FS/FSA - OoT: AT, CT
I personally take prerelease quotes with a grain of salt. For instance, FSA was the SW prerelease, TWW was supposed to be the first Zelda in the series, and TP was supposed to go between OoT and TWW.
At this point, I'm honestly not entirely sure why we placed LoZ/AoL after ALttP. I know in my timeline, it comes before due to the Triforce's state. It is never split after ALttP, so how could it be split in LoZ? That's my main reasoning. That timeline is heavily based on the changing state of the Triforce as I found it to be the most significant and universal aspect in the series and therefore, a timeline should rightfully be based around it.
Why is LttP on the AT, though?
He's gone when you're an adult, yes.. but not when you're a child in the AT. Link exists in the AT up until Ganon's defeat, then he disappears. So presumably, the Happy Mask Salesman leaves Hyrule during OoT while you're sleeping for 7 years to go to Termina, but because you're in the Temple of Light, Skull Kid steals Majora's Mask and destroys Termina. Therefore, by the time you're an adult in OoT, Termina is gone and Skull Kid probably with it (there's no proof that any of the Skull Kids encountered as an adult in the Lost Woods are the Skull Kid).
IIRC MM takes place a few months after the child ending of OoT. And Ganon took over Hyrule in 1 night. HMS may not have gotten to his destination, or even found the MM, since everything was disrupted by Ganon.

Why, though, do you put LttP on the AT?

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
About the Skull Kid thing [Spire], wasn't I arguing that in Stone Tower Temple that it is a possibility that he's the same.(?) I don't know...there's no proof for either way, but I believe it can be argued both ways.
*Edit*
I have just now become a Smash Champion!

Sasha

Smash Journeyman
Oh my god! I just found this part of the boards and now I'll never leave it again!

@ EkulTheKing - I have a big question..

How is Termina still intact if the moon crashed into it in the Adult Timeline? Link never went off to save it, so Majora succeeded in destroying the world (since it's in a parallel dimension to Hyrule). How would it then end up flooded some 400 years later (don't know where you got that number) in WW/PH?
I agree with Sign of Madness as far as this is concerned. Everything I've ever read/studied/been amused by (keep in mind that I'm an astrophysics major, so that's a LOT) has indicated one thing: time travel is f**ked. Domino effect: in the adult timeline, if Ganondorf takes over hyrule, it's possible that HMM's travel plans got messed up, leading to him never meeting the skull kid. OR, if he still made it to Termina, and he still met up with the skull kid, there's still Link. If Link and Epona never go to Termina to find Navi, that's a whole 'nother chain of events that could change events. Another (maybe major?) factor is Tatl. She never joins up with Link because she never gets left behind by the skull kid. Lots of other time questions brought up there. Of course, as has been brought up, the moon could still crash. And, seeing how much time could have passed between games, it still might not have a major impact on the storyline/geography.

tl; dr: EkulTheKing has the best and most well-written Zelda timeline I've ever seen. The fact that his Termina events take place in the Adult Timeline make them more or less independent of the events in Termina in Majora's Mask.

I think that may be Nintendo's "Master Timeline Document". It might simply say, "so long as the game is based after Zelda I's sleep spell and before her awakening, then it's fine." Every Legend is like a dream to her, just as we have recurring dreams that change ever so slightly with every occurence. Adventure of Link is the only game to date that is not a Legend of Zelda, because it's the story of her finally being awakened, and Ganon is dead.
Hmm. I like this. A lot.

I love you people for re-interesting me in the Zelda games. I'm gonna go buy FSA now. :bee:

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Oh my god! I just found this part of the boards and now I'll never leave it again!
If you want more/better timeline discussion, I recommend you go to zeldauniverse.net/forums or the legendsalliance forums (just don't go to zeldadungeon).

EkulTheKing

Smash Rookie
Sorry that this is a bit of a bump, and I know I'm really late with response, but I didn't think of it until not that long ago.
We know from majoras mask that the reason for the skull kids actions was because the giants left him without a friend.
As far as current belief goes, that skull kid is the one that you play sarias song for, and give him the skull mask. In return, he gives you a heart piece as a "token of friendship".
Now, realize that that ocurred in the adult timeline, but not in the child timeline.
Perhaps befriending the skull kid prevented everything that happened in MM from happening in the adult timeline as well.

EDIT: thanks Sasha for the compliments.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
New Timeline Theory

To further bump this thread, I've put together a new timeline of my own. It doesn't include MC/FSA because I really couldn't decide where they belong, or if they even belong at all. Maybe they occur in some parallel universe? But I think this timeline is a lot more logical than any I've come up with in the past.

@SpireIV: Don't forget to change this in the OP.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
And The Minish Cap and Four Swords/Four Swords Adventures?
Read, please.

It doesn't include MC/FSA because I really couldn't decide where they belong, or if they even belong at all.
Since they were made by Capcom, I'm not sure if they're considered part of the main timeline. They don't seem to fit in my opinion. Also, I'm not so sure Miyamoto wants games he didn't create to be officially included in his timeline.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Aye, I didn't see the text. In that case, I most likely agree. I've drifted far from timeline discussion, but I've yet to find a reasonable way to fit the "Four Swords" arc into the rest. It conflicts waaay too much.

I'm not sure which game it was that I read this in, but in the intro story, they spoke of a "Hero of Men".

I've never played a game as the "Hero of Men", but is it possible that whatever game I played (possibly MC or FS/FSA) is soooo far into the future of the timeline that it we can't relate it to anything? Just a hunch...

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I'm not sure which game it was that I read this in, but in the intro story, they spoke of a "Hero of Men".

I've never played a game as the "Hero of Men", but is it possible that whatever game I played (possibly MC or FS/FSA) is soooo far into the future of the timeline that it we can't relate it to anything? Just a hunch...
That was MC. You see, those two games speak of events that don't relate much to the rest of the series at all. My theory is that they don't belong in the main timeline, and for fun, they actually take place in an alternate dimension. :)

Spire

III
BRoomer
I hate Four Swords. It was a very short game with the most insignificant story so far, seems like it's merely a demo for FSA. BUT, while similar they may be, they are different in several ways. I do not know what to make of the game.

It's very, very obvious that FSA was designed to be a prequel to ALttP. Numerous reasons include:
- Ganon's identical appearance and use of Trident
- The game gives a backstory to the Dark World
- The Eastern Temple (FSA's 2nd dungeon) is very similar to the Eastern Palace from ALttP.
- They layout of Hyrule is similar
- The game introduces the Seven Maidens, whose decendent maidens would appear in ALttP
- The mere presence of the Four Sword Temple in ALttP GBA
- The overall look of the games is incredibly similar, with the same trees, grass, general sprite design, etc.

And I'm sure there's more that don't come to mind right now. Though, with the overall toon look, Hyrule being an island, the desert pyramid, and the general layout of Hyrule, it seems like FSA should follow ST. ALttP most likely follows TP, I'll say that. The Master Sword is buried beneath the waves in Ganondorf's petrified head. In both TP and ALttP, it is found in the exact same location. I'd like to say that geography really isn't that important. We know for a fact that OoT's Hyrule is TP's, yet geographically they're very different. OoT is supposed to be a precursor to ALttP (Nintendo's actual intention in creating the game), so their Hyrules must be the same. I'll lay out a potential timeline:

Main:
------------------MM > TP > (TMC) > FS > FSA > ALttP[/LA] > (LoZ/AoL) > (OoX[/LA])
(TMC) > OoT -{
------------------WW/PH > ST > (LoZ/AoL) > (OoX[/LA])

Alternative:
TMC > FS > FSA > (OoX[/LA])
We know OoT splits into MM and WW, which in turn is parallel to TP. PH directly follows WW and ST occurs a century following that. That ends the 'gold' block. Jumping ahead here, ALttP most likely follows TP due to the Master Sword's presence sealed in the ruins of the Temple of Time in the Lost Woods, just as it was left in TP. Jumping back now, we're presented with the Four Swords problem. Like explained above, FSA most definitely leads up to ALttP (if anything), and with TMC and FS created purposefully as prequels to FSA, they have to come before in some fashion. In the main timeline, TMC may come before OoT, though I highly doubt it does. There's not a lot explaining why it shouldn't come after TP as opposed to before OoT (which conflicts heavily with the Kokiri, the presence of Malon, Talon, and many other characters from across the series RIGHT before they would reappear in OoT). This is another reason why it may occur in a parallel Hyrule altogether, just as Termina, Holodrum, and Labrynna posed these alternate lands with the same characters. So, green block is settled for now. Now for LA. It is widely speculated that it follows ALttP due to it initially being created as a sequel. Since then, Miyamoto has screwed it up and said that it could be placed anywhere. So where? Well with the current released games, the two contenders are ALttP and OoX.

Oh blegh, I can't finish this right now. Perhaps I'll get back to it later. Hope it's been of some insight.

NOTE: I'd like to point out one interesting thing that came to mind: Oracle of Seasons was originally intended to be a remake of The Legend of Zelda, and with Oracle of Ages its planned sequel, it would be a sort of parallel to The Adventure of Link. Even though they changed, they retained the red and blue titles, just as LoZ and AoL had. This may heavily support that OoS/OoA follow LoZ/AoL and depict two more parallel worlds (in lieu of Termina's nature). But anyways, I must split.

X1-12

Smash Champion
sorry guys its probably been explained before but i can't find it, why are we so sure the timeline split after OoT?

Top Bottom