• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Time to Throw Down - Almost everything you ever wanted to know about throws

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
IV. Recommendations

Positive
1. Olimar, Olimar, Olimar.
His grab game is just too good. He has the fastest and longest range grab,
He doesn't have either. What he does have is the best ratio of speed and lag to range. ;)

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Would you kindly add the throws damage when decayed? Here is the decayed damage of my main character's throws (Ike btw):

All throws when fresh: 6%;
All throws decayed: 3%.

SilverBlaze

Smash Apprentice
Dedede's back throw can definitely do up to 17%. It typically does 16 but I've seen 17 multiple times.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Couple things.

1. Peach has a chaingrab off of her dthrow, you might want to put that in there

2. please don't recommend Zeldas grab game. Sure she does nice damage but her range is horrible.

Nice work I found it very useful.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
DanGR said:
He doesn't have either. What he does have is the best ratio of speed and lag to range.
Technically you're right, but he does have the longest grab in the game with blue and white Pikmin.

SilverBlaze said:
Dedede's back throw can definitely do up to 17%. It typically does 16 but I've seen 17 multiple times.
Someone (infzy I believe) pointed out earlier in the thread that the damage in Training mode doesn't always give the maximum percentage from a fresh attack, but it does always give the same percentage. Because of this, some of the damage ratings may be slightly lower than actual max, but the results were consistent.

marsulas said:
1. Peach has a chaingrab off of her dthrow, you might want to put that in there

2. please don't recommend Zeldas grab game. Sure she does nice damage but her range is horrible.
I will check the Peach boards for their recommendation on Dthrow as a chaingrab. As for Zelda's game, I put her in the Neutral category because she does pretty good damage, decent knockback, and her range isn't too bad. Not the best, certainly, but not terrible.

Also, I've begun the process of testing "special" grabs that are unique to certain characters. (i.e. Monkey Flip, Force Palm, etc.)
Once that's finished, I think I'll go back through the frame data and find the points where the grab connects. That might prove challenging for the range grabs and won't be very fun on some pivot and dash grabs, but I'll figure it out somehow.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Very good, organized thread. I'll look back at it later, when I'm actually interested in seeing all the statistics. =O

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Zeldas range isn't as bad as Captain Falcons persay, but combined with her lack of speed and her range being mediocre........it makes it very hard to use her grab game all that much. Combine that with the fact that most people stay as far away from her usmash and fsmash range as much as possible.....her grab game is below average at best.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Hmm. I can see your point. I'll consider taking her down with the next update.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Thank you for compiling this. I've always wondered why Lucario would sometimes do no damage after a pummle.

And Olimar's grabs... ****, if he had a chain-grab, we'd have to ban blue pikmin! :laugh:

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Whoa, amazing thread, but god, never knew sonic's grab range was so horrid.
Lol, guess the running speed helped counterbalance that.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Technically you're right, but he does have the longest grab in the game with blue and white Pikmin.

Someone (infzy I believe) pointed out earlier in the thread that the damage in Training mode doesn't always give the maximum percentage from a fresh attack, but it does always give the same percentage. Because of this, some of the damage ratings may be slightly lower than actual max, but the results were consistent.
Many attacks go into the tenths and hundredths, and I believe Brawl mode rounds up, while, Training always rounds down.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Special Grabs are added. Woo.

-Ran

Smash Master
You should note Snake's down throw considering it sets up a Tech Chase with countless options.

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
If you get grabbed, is there a single best way to escape the grab in the shortest time possible (roll control stick around in a circle, or move it back and forth, etc.) and does flicking the c stick or using shake smash help you escape faster?

Popertop

Smash Champion
If you get grabbed, is there a single best way to escape the grab in the shortest time possible (roll control stick around in a circle, or move it back and forth, etc.) and does flicking the c stick or using shake smash help you escape faster?
the game takes no input from the control stick.
it's from the buttons on the face of the controller, and maybe R/L/Z (haven't tested those)
but yeah. mash face buttons to get out crazy fast.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Huh...
I'm surprised that no one, including myself, noticed that Snake was missing from Pivot Duration.

In any case, it's updated.

Also, I just realized that I need to add Ganon and Falcon's Up-B attacks to the Special Grab section, so I'll be testing those shortly. I don't know how I forgOt Falcon YES!

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i'd like to see what frame the grabs are activated on...at least for dash grabs since i assume they vary. iirc, standing grabs are pretty similar.

Tenki

Smash Hero
If anything, it should just be added to SamuraiPanda's sticky of useful threads.

Top Bottom