• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tilting your shield, advantages?

rokimomi

Smash Lord
I see quite a few top people tilt their shield in the direction of the hit all the time (I'm trying to make it a habit as well) and I'm wondering, is there more to it than just covering uncovered areas of the character's body as the shield gets smaller?

Does it offer any other hidden benefits I can't think of right now?

Quic

Smash Journeyman
If you angle your shield up while being shield pressured you make the timing for l-cancelling slightly different.

GodLi

Smash Cadet
Iirc, by tilting your shield upwards, they'll hit your shield sooner, so you'll also get out of hit-stun sooner and can retaliate

Stratford

Smash Champion
Yea I know I've seen Mango's falco tilt his shield up when it gets small (against Zhu I think?) and wait for him to do an aerial on his shield, and then shinebair oos.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
you usually do it to cover up areas where you can get sheild poked

like if you angle it up your feet are vulnerable

and vice versa

so just use it to cover yourself

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
that match mango did it was against lucky!!!

jv4 too

i probably account for like half of its views (end fanboy)

anyway tilting shield is for messing up l canceling
and to stop people from circumventing your defenses to poke you when it shrinks

like usually people use foxes down tilt to hit your shield (end parroting of cunning kitsunes guide)

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
it is not for messing up l canceling

that might be one of the benifits of doing it

but its not its main purpose

people havent even messed up l canceling when i do it

and why are people saying

"THAT MATCH"

its not like its hard to do and it happens once every 5 years

i do it every match i play

Zodiac

Smash Master
Advantage = Not getting hit where the shield is tilted, Light shielding on the other hand...can make you slide back far enough that they cannot continue the pressure.

Lovage

Smash Hero
by holding a direction while shielding, attacks that hit your shield will make you move a little bit in that direction (shield asdi)

this is more effective on multi-hit moves like fox's drill because simply holding forward will give you one frame of ASDI for each hit of the drill.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
yea light shielding is the best option when your shielding like....always
nah, pretty sure theres negatives to light shieldng.

one that comes to mind is that theres added shield stun so you can't move as quickly oos as normal. theres probably others too.

people would only light shield if it was so great

Lovage

Smash Hero
Can you also shield SDI? Like, if I hit a direction when in shieldstun as opposed to holding the direction before I get hit, do I move further?
yeah you'll move a little further doing that

stuff like this is useful on slow moves like get-up attacks from the ledge, and it can often help you get shieldgrabs where you usually wouldn't

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Can you also shield SDI? Like, if I hit a direction when in shieldstun as opposed to holding the direction before I get hit, do I move further?
Yes you can shield SDI, however it does not occur during shieldstun. You input shield SDI during shieldhitlag (shields have hitlag too!)

I know a couple players who use it to avoid getting pushed off ledges.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Shield ASDI does a lot by itself as well...

Edit: lol just noticed lovage already mentioned shield asdi on the first page

-Ice-

Smash Apprentice
i dont think its that usefull this days anymore i used to tilt my shield all the time to not get sheild poked , to get that extra distance via asdi or to messup the timing of my openents schuffle so my chances for a punish increase ( grab etc.) but peoples spacing and timing are to good this days i think its better to stay neutral and smash di the only risk i see is if you miss the sdi you get into the roll with a 2 frames non invincible time where you can get punished .

AXE 09

Smash Master
Tilting your shield is useful for things like Fox's full jump Nair.

If you tilt your shield up as Fox comes down with his Nair, he'll hit your shield earlier than normal, which means he'll be further away from the ground when he hits your shield, giving you more time to attack out of your shield before he hits the ground.

I'm pretty sure you guys already covered this, but... I just thought I'd give an example lol.

And of course, obviously, it's good for "covering up" areas where you might get shield stabbed
byanipple

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
obviously, it's good for "covering up" areas where you might get shield stabbed
byanipple
I don't know why you're making such a big deal about getting shield stabbed. It's not like you have to worry about it as Pikachu. :awesome:

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Yes you can shield SDI, however it does not occur during shieldstun. You input shield SDI during shieldhitlag (shields have hitlag too!)

I know a couple players who use it to avoid getting pushed off ledges.
If it's not during shieldstun, when does shieldhitlag happen?

Sorry, I've never been exposed to so much in-depth stuff on shields like this before.

Geist

Smash Master
I've always wondered the advantages between shield tilting and light shielding was.
Looking through the thread it looks like they both do the same, but light shield pushes you backwards and is better for escapes, and shield tilts are better for follow-ups?

AXE 09

Smash Master
I've always wondered the advantages between shield tilting and light shielding was.
Looking through the thread it looks like they both do the same, but light shield pushes you backwards and is better for escapes, and shield tilts are better for follow-ups?
Light shielding has a lot more shield stun. So if you're looking to counter attack out of your shield, doing a full shield is the way to go. If you're looking to just escape or get away and not get shield stabbed, then light shielding might be the best choice. Although, all of this still depends on the situation... Light shielding makes you have more shield stun, but also lets you slide farther away (the stronger the attack, the more you slide).

Top Bottom