• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tiers? (Include an explaination)

hambread

Smash Apprentice
or you can think about it as which characters are designed better for the metagame.
and skills>tier is very true. thats why you dont see links and samuses get 5stocked everyday.

ShoeThief

Smash Apprentice
Also take into mind that tiers are recognizing who would win at the maximum human skill level. If players could play at the skill level of a perfect computer (or Ant-d) then Yoshi, Ness, and Fox would probably be higher due to invincibility/DJC, djc, and shines.

munsif

Smash Cadet
Alot of people are putting their favourite charcters on top. From searching for smash 64 pro videos Kirby is used the most, pikachu is definately second fox is after that. The world champion plays with mario but no-one else uses him. Well here is the tier list i have put toghether

Pro tier-
kirby
pikachu

High tier-
ness
fox
captin falcon

middle tier-
jigglypuff
mario
luigi

lower tier-
link
yoshi

lowest tier
Donkey kong
Samus

this may not be a true reperesentation. The higher tiers i believe are certain although as you get lower ther arent any pro videos with such charcter leaving it to personal opinion.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Alot of people are putting their favourite charcters on top. From searching for smash 64 pro videos Kirby is used the most, pikachu is definately second fox is after that. The world champion plays with mario but no-one else uses him. Well here is the tier list i have put toghether

Pro tier-
kirby
pikachu

High tier-
ness
fox
captin falcon

middle tier-
jigglypuff
mario
luigi

lower tier-
link
yoshi

lowest tier
Donkey kong
Samus

this may not be a true reperesentation. The higher tiers i believe are certain although as you get lower ther arent any pro videos with such charcter leaving it to personal opinion.
This is pretty funnily inaccurate.

First of all, I guess you haven't heard of RedMario/AkaMario (same guy I think) from Japan, who I think is or was the best Japanese SSB player. <-- I heard somewhere :lick: but it shows how there are pro Marios out there, you just don't know them.

If the "world champion" you're referring to is Isai, then he mains Pikachu but plays almost all characters with the same fluidity, notably his Link, Mario, Fox, and Falcon.

Popularity of characters is usually based on tiers, not the other way around.

What "pro" videos of Kirbies have you been watching? I see very few Kirbies in relation to the other chracters.

You provide no basis for any of the other tiers.

Tiers are usually based on more than just personal opinion. Each character has their own very distinct pros and cons.

Next time offer some reasons for your placements so we can have an actual debate, thanks.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
This is pretty funnily inaccurate.

First of all, I guess you haven't heard of RedMario/AkaMario (same guy I think) from Japan, who I think is or was the best Japanese SSB player. <-- I heard somewhere :lick: but it shows how there are pro Marios out there, you just don't know them.

If the "world champion" you're referring to is Isai, then he mains Pikachu but plays almost all characters with the same fluidity, notably his Link, Mario, Fox, and Falcon.

Popularity of characters is usually based on tiers, not the other way around.

What "pro" videos of Kirbies have you been watching? I see very few Kirbies in relation to the other chracters.

You provide no basis for any of the other tiers.

Tiers are usually based on more than just personal opinion. Each character has their own very distinct pros and cons.

Next time offer some reasons for your placements so we can have an actual debate, thanks.
dont use spacific players to base a tier, RedMario and AkaMario are oth VERY excelent players, but what about Sossy and Dark Link -X- both of these people main "lower" tier chars and play much better then 98% of the ssb comunity

all in all, there are extreamly good players for all chars, (Dedrick IS a pro Kirby dont say anythign agesnt him he doesnt suck >_>) so i wouldnt ever try to sue players to make/edit Tiers.

_kSo_

Smash Master
dont use spacific players to base a tier, RedMario and AkaMario are oth VERY excelent players, but what about Sossy and Dark Link -X- both of these people main "lower" tier chars and play much better then 98% of the ssb comunity

all in all, there are extreamly good players for all chars, (Dedrick IS a pro Kirby dont say anythign agesnt him he doesnt suck >_>) so i wouldnt ever try to sue players to make/edit Tiers.
Dark Link -X- and Sossy do not belong in the same category of players

sossy is much much better

besides, i dun think dark link mains link..i think he uses a high tier character

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Dark Link -X- and Sossy do not belong in the same category of players

sossy is much much better

besides, i dun think dark link mains link..i think he uses a high tier character
aww man whyd you have to say something like this, it totaly distracts people from my point (and as we know people round here cant focus on anything when they are distracted) Sossy obviously is on a diffrent level then Dark Link -X- but my point was they are BOTH great players, can you argue that? And they BOTH do VERY WELL with chars most people dont consider "Good" thats all, and you maybe right about Dark Link -X- i really dont know, ive only been privlaged enough to play him once, but i do know he beat Met with Link (some time ago now mind you) and that counts for a LOT

Zantetsu

Smash Master
aww man whyd you have to say something like this, it totaly distracts people from my point (and as we know people round here cant focus on anything when they are distracted) Sossy obviously is on a diffrent level then Dark Link -X- but my point was they are BOTH great players, can you argue that? And they BOTH do VERY WELL with chars most people dont consider "Good" thats all, and you maybe right about Dark Link -X- i really dont know, ive only been privlaged enough to play him once, but i do know he beat Met with Link (some time ago now mind you) and that counts for a LOT
Lawlz, Yoshi is high tier, idc what anyone says.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
LOL, people still can't decide on tiers, even when we're already playing Brawl.

Can't people just look at tournament results or...ask Isai?

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
LOL, people still can't decide on tiers, even when we're already playing Brawl.

Can't people just look at tournament results or...ask Isai?
lol this will never end, my opinion ABOUT tiers is just that there make a good excuse for people who hate losing :)

my point was that tiers dont even mean anythign really..to me anyways, i beat Mario with Falcon, i beat Pika with Link...who cares!!!

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
i was going to say myself.....just look at Isai and how he plays his ness
I think he said himself somewhere that his Ness is actually one of his worst characters...I'm not totally sure where you're going with that anyways.

At Sirhc - I was just giving him an example of how people actually use Mario.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I think he said himself somewhere that his Ness is actually one of his worst characters...I'm not totally sure where you're going with that anyways.

At Sirhc - I was just giving him an example of how people actually use Mario.
aiy aiy, but you clearly said somethign unclear about marios place o nthe tier, then abotu Aka and Red, so you kinda compaired...whuich i dont see a point too =.=

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
aiy aiy, but you clearly said somethign unclear about marios place o nthe tier, then abotu Aka and Red, so you kinda compaired...whuich i dont see a point too =.=
See the guy's post I quoted, he said that only the "world champion" played Mario, which is quite untrue.
My personal opinion is that Mario should be above 'Puff, but I wasn't really interested in arguing tier placement at the time.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Its obvious fox is teh best, just do reflector 2 times on the ground then shoot laser, it does 100 dmg, do this a few time and simply jabbing the poor victim will finish them.

_kSo_

Smash Master

heh,

m3gav01lt beat dark link last time he played him

falcon ftw

falcon for top tier :p

for realz

pika
kirby
falcon
fox
i dun care

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero

heh,

m3gav01lt beat dark link last time he played him

falcon ftw

falcon for top tier :p

for realz

pika
kirby
falcon
fox
i dun care
Seriously? O_O i dont really know Megavolt but if he beat Dark Link -X- he must be ok :p

and seriously Ness does belong on top tier his priority and speed make it so

Rupus

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes, we have a tier list.

But that doesn't mean people can't post their own ideas, and explain why they differ from the official ones.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I think that tier list was the one I found commonly accepted on GameFaqs...if you guys want to do a SWF version, we'd probably need to have like...a panel of judges.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I think that tier list was the one I found commonly accepted on GameFaqs...if you guys want to do a SWF version, we'd probably need to have like...a panel of judges.
wasnt there an ACTUAL tier done though, where all chars where given like 10 diffrent catagories then ranked acordingly, then vai an avg a tier was made?

Couldnt we just do this ?

Zantetsu

Smash Master
wasnt there an ACTUAL tier done though, where all chars where given like 10 diffrent catagories then ranked acordingly, then vai an avg a tier was made?

Couldnt we just do this ?
I made a thread about right before you came to swf. It was trying to change the tier list. All I got was a bunch of replies saying "does it matter?"

I would love to see the tier list change and many competitve smashers didn't have much time to make a new tier list due to melee coming in 2 years.

All I want to see is link higher (idc if his recovery sucks, thats one flaw and shouldn't bump him down all the way to bottom) and kirby lower (at high level of play, kirby sucks.)

nesshero

Smash Cadet
okay this is the actual SSB tier list:

1. pikachu
2. fox
3. kirby
4. ness
5. captain falcon
6. jigglypuff
7. mario
8. yoshi
9. luigi
10. link
11. dk
12. samus

if you disagree you're wrong.
no more disputes.

nesshero

Smash Cadet

Sensei

Smash Lord
ness's recovery is worse than captain falcons. also falcons combos are easier to preform and harder to DI out of. falcon is also faster and can out beat anybody in dash dance camping. falcon > ness.

nesshero

Smash Cadet
Totally wrong. Captain Falcon is a lot easier to edgeguard, which means his recovery is worse. ALSO, Ness is a lot better AT edgeguarding. Also, "ease of combos" should not be considered in a tier list (otherwise Fox would be a lot lower) since it is assumed we are talking about top level play.

okay?

greenblob

Smash Lord
I think a good starting point is to rank the best player of each character. So you would compare the best Pika (Isai's Pika) to the best Link (Isai's Link) to the best Yoshi (Sossy?) etc. This means that Isai would make up most of the tier list, but well, it's a start.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
exactly; you are the mule.

You think Captain Falcon is better than Ness?! That's absurd; Ness is much better than Falcon. They both have approximately equal combo ability (if anything Ness' is better because of DJC), but Captain Falcon is extremely more vulnerable to combos, and his recovery sucks.
I'm not being stubborn and saying "this is the tier list because i said so".

Also I never said falcon was better then ness...

why are you trying to discuss top level play because based on the way you are talking, it is something you obviously are not a part of.

Quoted for truth

nesshero

Smash Cadet
FIRST OF ALL, I was obviously (well, obviously not obviously enough) joking when I said "this is the definite tier list and if you disagree you're wrong." I was simply mocking other people who are like that. Clearly this board has no sense of humor.

2. While there are better players than me, I beat well over 95% of the people I play online, and I feel I am qualified to discuss top level play.

3. I am certain that, at top level play, Ness is better than Captain Falcon. Ness has a much larger potential than most people realize, since very few people are extremely good with him, and lots of people main Falcon. Yes Captain's 0 to death combos are easier to perform, but his recovery is one of the worst and least predictable in the game (he is easily killed by Ness' down-smash yo-yo when thrown off the stage at a low percentage), and he is one of the easiest characters in the game to combo (probably the easiest next to DK). If you disagree, you should provide some examples, rather than arrogantly saying "You don't know what you're talking about." I would be happy to challenge anyone's Captain Falcon with my Ness.

<3

Top Bottom