• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Edits and spoilers are on!!!!!!

I'm out!!!!

Happy spring season everyone, hope all is well. :)

To preface this...

I was reading a bunch of the discussions from JANUARY, which was around the time I was last on here it seems. Some of the talks that came up over the Jan/Feb months were about what seemed like a bit of confusion around Falco, so I'll just touch on that while I can. I'm writing this from elsewhere so I have NO IDEA if this was covered/cleaned up/if it's relevant to reason conversations here, but whatever.

Tl;dr: This is about this bird.
:falcomelee:

Tl;dr of BELOW

Lasers are a ***** shine is a ***** and his boxes are full of hard parts...
...but everything else in the game is a ***** too...

I'll tl;dr in bursts on the way too.

To start, I tried quickly looking up for a summary I made of Falco elsewhere but couldn't, so I'll re-iterate it in super-simple form.

:falco:; Locks people down ANNNND Chokes people out WITTTTH Spacing
-That's all the eggs in his one basket, the rest comes as flare and for taste.

PM though
-Doesn't want useless characters.
-It's the Melee Playground but a newly built sand-box to play in with a bunch of new unseen toys.
What this means is.

What happens to Falco?
Falco basically has to make a lot of 'right' decisions just to land hits without getting hit.

Not in the sense of making a hard read on a full-distance late SH D-Air or something to start a combo
- but simply the necessary maneuverings to be made that will allow him to get what he's 'looking' for are packaged around what becomes (in Melee too, but moreso in PM) platform camping with occasional lasers.

- with maybe the occasional attempt at clipping someone with a Shine OOS - or loose laser > aerial/Grab - or shield-drop Dair or something of this nature
– basically in hopes that your short-dashes upon landing are enough to mess with the opponents spacing as they try to clip you.
Why does this happen to Falco?

Look at a move like Samus's F-Tilt. A universally solid move. It's not an approach tool - a counter-approach tool - a conversion tool - a combo tool - a pressure tool - a punishing tool, but it can function and IS functional as anything. It covers a lot.

- Any time Falco jumps, he has to be 'away' enough that this won't clip him, but 'close' enough that he won't lose space. Every laser

When you add in Crawl Attack, Jab, Missiles, whatever else, in the midst of all this is where Falco somehow how to make his move.

Either he has to deal with the complications of a Samus closing and opening gaps and space in close-quarters, or the simply and vastly dynamic options a Marth D-Tilt/Grab + F-Air/N-Air mix threatens, or a Peach B-Air that if too close will result in aerial trades or getting Dsmashed/Grabbed, and if too far will allow her to set-up turnips or close gaps, and if not managing the 'between' as he moves through the 'over-under' spacing barriers he MAY get hit by a loose Dash-Attack and that MAY be a stock.

And it's essentially that simple.
If he doesn't make the right move.
---he MAY get hit by a loose Dash-Attack and that MAY be a stock---
Tl;dr

This is Smash, which involves a lot of pseudo-random factors regarding a player-vs-player match. It would take a couple top players a LOT of time playing a match-up to have these nuances and kinks worked out of their own games relating to the other player. Both people are 'doing' things, and the dance is on. You MAY get a hit, you MAY get hit.

This isn't referring to 'frame perfect play, but rather 'humanly' perfect play, where at any level, this is Smash, and there will be over-and-under extending and testing waters and mental developments and precision camping and patient observation and pressure establishment and in the mix of all that - someone WILL lose space/gain space toward a victory, and that WILL change with every action.

Falco in this sense, due to having a majorly complex game and no similar universal game-plan regarding HOW he's going to do WHAT he's going to do... means a Falco has to make (at least 4) VERY ACCURATE decisions and moves throughout a single match if he's to not get clipped by that semi-pre-emptive-on-the-fly Zard F-Air/Peach DA/MK Grab/etc

- To HIT the Samus F-Tilt throughout all her defenses and pressures and moving, rather than GET HIT by it

- and to do so in a way that he'll get another hit following his own.

There are no exceptions, he quite literally HAS to do all of that with every move he makes... to win.
Targets
Some characters have a general target 'method' they can approach a match, and move from there. A macro-game that flows into the nuances of a mirco. (Squirtle/Marth/Snake/Diddy/Falcon/etc)

But some have an immensely diverse and complicated set of ways they have to approach every separate match with very precise micro-play with very little for macro, despite how much the macro-game actually comes into play with them. (Mewtwo/Luigi/ZSS/Peach/FALCO/etc)

- macro as in beginning at one place and working the way somewhat systematically to get to a target

- micro as in beginning anywhere and moving to whatever other place is most appropriate for a target

Falco doesn't have a fall-back base-plan outside of this dancing platform/defensive/taking-pokes game, he doesn't in Melee beyond decent-level play, and the fall-back he has against weaker Melee characters (laser > laser > shine > win) isn't possible because there are no character who don't have the tools necessary to force him into a 'CERTAIN' method.

His macro died and his micro is challenged, because...

There are no characters bad enough for him to play whatever game he wants.

How did this happen?
These slower and less-fast characters (necessarily so) need something to help them be competent in 1-vs-1 matches against the characters like Puff/Marth/Falcon/Shiek/etc, including FOX as the most universal-wall to get around/keep up with for each of these diverse new characters.

- This often means mobility supplements and large hit-boxes.

With characters like Link/Kirby/etc, the simple push in this direction could work. Bigger Ftilt feet to take chips at things, better counter-approach sword attacks, each of the characters naturally gaining a bit more in space-control, pace-control, combo-converting, solid-punishing, etc in the process.

but...

With other means of improving upon these characters - you'll get more simple game-directions that involve a single flow-chart type of game-plan with a severe volatility dynamic due to massively over-emphasized direct-hard-punish-conversions (DK/Zard/etc).

Or you'll get characters that fragmentize the game so much that interacting with them is hardly possible on normal terms (Snake/Ooze/fast characters/etc).

To take someone like Melee-Bowser and attempt to SALVAGE what is such an inherently bad 'root' could only really be done in one of these ways. That's in a way what had to happen to EACH of them, but in different routes. Armor was brought as a non-interaction thing given what improvements to his hitboxes/movement was the only other way of keeping him competent with the Tops. Every character needs to be competent with the Tops.

So we have some that went a little over the top, and some that didn't make it.

Sometimes we get both and end up with things that are extremely difficult to manage and even-out when they're so stand-alone the way Falco lasers and Puff rests and Peach floats and Marth spacing and Falcon speed and Fox flexibility are. Air-dashes and bananas and grenades and bubbles and things of equal force have to be made the answers because the GOOD characters have that equivalent.

Tl;dr

Movement supplements and larger hit-boxes are necessary in a broader game of Smash, or crazy things to make up for what the characters lack.

Each of those specific things that enter the game... Falco has to deal with individually, uniquely, and separately.
Not ONLY character-by-character, but every time one of those 'traits' comes into play.
Move. By. Move.

To add to all of that.

This also linearized Falco's optimal play. Everything from fading N-Airs to raw laser > shines are vastly different among every character, as much less is open in terms of options he has in those maneuverings given how functional every character is in nearly all situations.

If Falco is making a move, his spacing has to be ON POINT to work, and he's almost entirely built for JUST that, despite how flashy he looks to be.

A Falco who makes it far in a PM tournament had a GOOD DAY.

As in, the RNG of human-vs-human top level Smash play constantly changing game-flow worked out for him, and he happened to dodge a Fox grab at EXACTLY the right moment, and it made all the difference.

Many times.

Every time he moves away, he has to MAKE SURE he's not giving up huge space.

Every time he moves to, he has to MAKE SURE he's not getting hit in the moving.

It goes for every character, but this is Falco, and unless he's doing exactly that in his many complicated tricky ways like CC shining loose moves or poking holes through the pressure after choking someone down, then he's not going to win.

Super Tl;dr

It's hard for Falco to hit someone who is playing a character well.

It's also hard for a character to hit a Falco who is playing well.

He loses a LOT of match-ups in this game, and wins a LOT of match-ups in this game.

None by much, hardly any notable enough to mention, and he can win/lose any of them at the highest possible level of play in both this game as much as Melee. This game just has a lot more stuff, and he has to handle every little piece of 'stuff' differently, so it's all on the players to make the good moves to win, simple as that. Even in the most methodically optimized play, this is still going to be the case.

Rabble rabble

Anyway, that's just some rabbling and I'm out again.

Probably nothing useful I just rabbled.

Carry on!

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Being so small you can't be grabbed and being able to attack out of being that small is possibly the stupidest mechanic this game has.

I hate crawling and ducking so much

D

Deleted member

I mean. Unless you buffed him in more than weight I feel like that's more of nerfing just to nerf. I don't know how much I see "annoying" as a problem and unless you artificially lowered his crouch after the change at minimum than this would be kind of a big deal and would continue the "nerf characters we don't like" trend rather than characters that are actually better because of "design purposes"
actually it was definitely a net buff- since squirtle has no regular disjoint on his model, a larger frame means he also had more functional range, and then on top of that he had the same physics but the extra range translates into easier combos because functional range is where the move hits plus movement, if that makes sense? it also somewhat solved squirtles issues with opposing ranged moves because you could say match opposing range or trade more, which right now squirtle doesnt have much for that besides using water moves for your own mild disjoint or being forced to wait those moves out.

the problem with extreme attributes like squirtles current size is that they limit interaction. sometimes its extreme like DDD being heavy or fox being really fast, which are strictly advantageous and you either have the tools for that or you dont. sometimes its for both players though like squirtle or similarly bowser, who lost a ton of range/coverage when he was made smaller. theres upsides and downsides to it, but in the bigger picture it just means that you have a more volatile MU spread depending what your opponent brings to the table. in a game with 41 attempted "balanced" characters, its going to be MU heavy regardless so you want to minimize the extreme attributes so going into bracket doesnt feel like a series of coin flips. every time ripple comes to texas he gets sent round 1 to losers by luck because DDD is atrocious vs diddy. this is not what the ideal situation looks like. yeah. a bigger squirtle lets more people interact favorably with you, but you can do the same back with more survivability and better range and better combos. it makes for much better gameplay and a less volatile tournament experience.

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
The characters that Squirtle gets the most benefit crouching against are Ganon, ZSS, Ike, Falcon, Sheik. Samus and Falco help too but to a lesser extent imo. Not a single one of those MUs are that much in Squirtle favor. He marginally beats ganon ZSS Ike Samus because of crouching. Honestly the biggest MU there that I agree with your point is Sheik, his crouch shuts down her neutral hard and makes it difficult to grab too. But no other character gets even close to shut down like that and it's one of Squirtle's few "high tier" MUs I say he solidly wins.

D

Deleted member

The characters that Squirtle gets the most benefit crouching against are Ganon, ZSS, Ike, Falcon, Sheik. Samus and Falco help too but to a lesser extent imo. Not a single one of those MUs are that much in Squirtle favor. He marginally beats ganon ZSS Ike Samus because of crouching. Honestly the biggest MU there that I agree with your point is Sheik, his crouch shuts down her neutral hard and makes it difficult to grab too. But no other character gets even close to shut down like that and it's one of Squirtle's few "high tier" MUs I say he solidly wins.
sure but wouldnt you rather just have more tools to deal with more opponents than riding 1 or 2 and hoping the opponent sucks or that you get a good bracket? squirtle is a poor design on both side of the field and it could have been easily fixed (and actually was). whether you agree with its execution is a matter of preference, but its much harder to objectively argue against character normalization as a concept. fwiw i wish squirtle was better too, just nkt with respect to avoiding opposing interaction.

Life

Smash Hero
The argument against character normalization amounts to "making the characters too similar to each other kills the variety" i.e. 41 Marios is 41 characters but it's also basically just 1 character. Squirtle is already weird enough without being tiny, though.

Curious how you would go about normalizing DDD? (That question's directed at all of you.)

eideeiit

Smash Ace
5f jumpsquat
Limit to waddles out at a time (2?)
Dair a larger commitment (more active frames and more endlag)
Invincible ftilt
Better frame data on jab, dtilt, dsmash(?)
Down-b idk

I think that would let him have a bit of what he is now while normalizing him a bit and not making him suck too bad? I also just hate 6f jumpsquats.

I know nothing tho.

Also this is useless and stuff, but it'll probs be fun and maybe educational?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you can't just normalize DDD by buffing/nerfing his moves.

He'd new an entirely new kit that doesn't have him rely on waddles for movement

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Dedede changelist.

Give him Brawl - Zeus Jump physics so he can fling himself across the stage like he was ZSS.

Make fair have less range in front of him to make him less campy and annoying to edgeguard.

Runspeed and walkspeed increased quite a bit.

Maybe make inhale better, I dunno.

4 Frame jumpsquat.

Nair has more damage output or something to make it safer on shield.

Gordos less powerful and match the physics of Waddle Dees better.

Using up-b on the ground lets him cancel it without inducing helpless. Think Bowser down-b.

All airials have alot less landing lag. Why do heavy characters have so much anyway? Just makes D3 have to play lame.

Slightly less traction for a better wavedash and a less annoying shieldgrab game (maybe).

Up-smash has melee ntsc Fox Up-smash knockback and kb growth. A little less than that would work.

Up-tilt kills earlier.

I actually think dair is fine as is but maybe it should have less vertical disjoint or range.

What do you all think?

_Chrome

Smash Ace
I think he would still be lame and janky and boring to play against. His upB off the ground would not be able to have the kind of vertical height it goes if it were to be like Boozer's downB.

D

Deleted member

The argument against character normalization amounts to "making the characters too similar to each other kills the variety" i.e. 41 Marios is 41 characters but it's also basically just 1 character. Squirtle is already weird enough without being tiny, though.

Curious how you would go about normalizing DDD? (That question's directed at all of you.)
sure but then you have say pit and pikachu that are incredibly similar by their frame data and play nothing alike. you never NEED to go into extreme attributes to make character feel sans grandfathering in something iconic like cf run speed

mimgrim

Smash Hero
All this talk about normalization and how peopke would normalize certain characters.

I think that first normal, in the context of PM, neefs to be defined as what it exactly is then define what makes non normal characters non normal then define just what normalization to make them normal all is before trying to figure how to normalize characters.

That being said I think the whole thing is pretty moot considering no more patches.

Life

Smash Hero
Normalization just means bringing character attributes closer to each other. If everyone had weight comparable to the heaviest handful of characters, except for Jigglypuff, normalization would involve bringing Jigglypuff closer to like Mario weight.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
_Chrome _Chrome

Why is D3 lame and janky to play against in the first place? I have always thought of him as just Marth's style with a great dair and survivability.

I have fought several D3s (none of them extremely good) and used Marth counterplay more or less. Patience, extra caution to not get shieldgrabbed and respect disjoint.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't be averse to a bigger Squirtle either but as mentioned before he'd look absolutely stupid.

Just make a smaller Wartortle instead.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
_Chrome _Chrome

Why is D3 lame and janky to play against in the first place? I have always thought of him as just Marth's style with a great dair and survivability.
because he has a crazy amount of landing lag on everything including just doing empty hop ( 6 frames for both soft landing and hard landing), which combined with his mobility and the fact that he has nothing faster than grab on the ground and his next usable move hits on frame 10 forces DDD to play lame and constantly stay away from is opponents.

he even is the only character that gets a penalty for landing with an projectile. an additional 23 frames of lag. how ****ing absurd that that persisted through every version of PM

Last edited:

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
Lol. Squirtle is no fun for anyone to play against, and in a few MUs, he completely limits interaction. His unfun attributes also hold him back from being a more competitive character. Why, from a design point of view, would we change him? It's not like this game was designed to be competitive and fun.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
I would be so thoroughly down for Blastoise you guys have no idea

I'm just imagining shellshifting and Klaw on the same character

pmdt pls ;_;

It'd be really weird trying to make Squirtle movement not just really awkward on a larger character tho hmmm...

Also not sure which upB I'd want, the useful OOS one or the useful recovery one

This has nothing to do with tiers I'm sorry

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
canonically, olimar is literally the size of a quarter

do you want to play an olimar with a hurtbox that is 1/100th the size of you
Who cares Olimar sucks anyway

But honestly that's obviously a ridiculous example. We're talking about what a reasonable size for a character is, and I'm telling you that canonically, it makes sense for Squirtle to be the same size as another appropriately sized character of the same universe. If we were talking about making everyone their canon relative height, Charizard would be roughly the same height as Marth.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
smash brothers canon is that everyone is actually just plastic figurines that are brought to life by the power of Fun (TM)

so basically squirtle can be whatever the **** kind of size that whoever the **** made the figurine wants him to be

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
link is like a weird smash equivalent of a grappler in terms of slightly limited neutral but can confirm into hella damage off of stray hits but he's kinda at the mercy of the opponent of when he can get those stray hits now that 3.02 rang is gone

luigi is godlike and doesn't play smash* and so either invalidates whatever someone else is doing or just has to play super non-interactive and non-committal or he'll get bodied hard
luigi will lose to dd dtilt if he tries to play the game like a normal smash character but
luigi is like water and will flow around the stage to where you aren't (as long as there's platforms to work with lmao) and will mess you up with stray aerials and jabs to stop whatever you are doing

my conclusion after playing luigi for a bit of time is that he's a hard af character but can do some silly things that other characters can't and playing as him offers a very unique view of the game

some people call this "jank"

*operating definition of "smash" seems to be playing dd-heavy and covering options with strong neutral games based on threat zones and ambiguity etc. luigi does do this, but in a very different way that doesn't involve typical dd-movement (altho some types of feinting with wavedashes definitely happens but whole lot of other atypical things happen)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

lol theres nothing unfair about luigi, hes just annoying to a lot of people. luigi is just incredibly honest.

Life

Smash Hero
lol theres nothing unfair about luigi, hes just annoying to a lot of people. luigi is just incredibly honest.
What's "honest" mean in the context of fighting games? It's one of those words like "jank" that gets thrown around a lot but I'm not entirely clear what it means. If it's supposed to be the opposite of "jank" I think a lot of people will disagree.

Is Fox an honest character? Sheik? Roy? Ganondorf? Pikachu? Charizard? Someone else?

D

Deleted member

What's "honest" mean in the context of fighting games? It's one of those words like "jank" that gets thrown around a lot but I'm not entirely clear what it means. If it's supposed to be the opposite of "jank" I think a lot of people will disagree.

Is Fox an honest character? Sheik? Roy? Ganondorf? Pikachu? Charizard? Someone else?
uhh to me jank is just something that doesnt operate like the rest of the way the game does. its something you have to feel out though, ill try to give you examples.

- squirtles up b final hitbox
- links grab just not working
- zss uptilt being frame 3
- snakes dair. all of it.
- bananas tripping on hit (youre supposed to "slip" on them ie stepping on them, if you hit someone with a banana at head height they just slip on nothing)

luigi mashing nair out of combos is kind of obnoxious but its something floaties in general can do, hes just the best at it. but luigi isnt shutting you down or keeping you from playing the game like tink bombs or zss platform camping or melee wobbling or brawl planking.

Life

Smash Hero
^ If your character doesn't have anything "dumb" in the good sense (i.e. at least one particularly strong and versatile tool), the character is bad compared to the ones that do, right? Look at every Melee top tier: shine/DD/aerials/usmash, shine/laser/aerials, sword/DD grab, needles/dthrow/aerials, bair/rest, float/turnips, wobbling, DD grab/aerials just for the top 8 alone. And then even the mid tiers have crazy things like Samus' projectiles, nair, upB OOS; Pikachu's tail spike and offstage game; and Luigi's misfire and low traction. Even a few of Melee's low tiers have individual very strong tools like bombs, Roy dtilt, Bowser's upB OOS and ledge attack, and Zelda's kicks, which just happen to be attached to characters that aren't so good at taking advantage of them or are otherwise fatally flawed.

In PM, which contains Melee's top tiers in situations very similar to their previous incarnations, buffed versions of Melee's mid and low tiers, and the Brawl veterans on top of that, I don't think there's such a thing as a character that ISN'T "dumb" in some respect. A character with no dumb things is called a "bottom tier." Such a character has no way of forcing their opponent to respect them. I don't think there's a single character in PM that fits that description.

Top Bottom