• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Mage.

Smash Cadet
So I decided to come up with a tier list. Something of note before I drop my short story on it. I am by no means a top player so take these placements with a grain of salt. However, I have played numerous games competitively to the point where I feel comfortable on what I can consider strong, weak, and terrible or overpowered. That being said here is the list:

*There is no particular order within a tier*

So now you've had a range of reactions. You either want to weld my asshole shut and put a new one on my forehead for my placing of -insert X character here- or you just simply nodded your head and said "Yeah I can deal". Onto explaining my thoughts! Please note that this is a long written post explaining my thoughts.WALL OF TEXT INCOMING. You've been warned!

The most recent melee tier list is structured as S, A, B, and F. These tiers aren't rigidly defined but character viability is. S tiers will perform very well at nationals, A's not as much, B's will be very niche and very hard, and F is garbage tier. First and foremost every character in my tier list is viable and I definitely believe this to be true. You can do well with C tier or B tier characters at tournaments. There are no garbage or "niche" characters in this game. It's why i've strayed away from using D or lower because it implies that those characters are downright terrible to use or at least gives off that impression. There are no Poppy's of LoL or Pichu's of melee. Now for the breakdown of tiers.

The A Tier

Honestly, the simple reason why I divided the A tier into A+, A, and A- is because originally when I was putting all of the characters who I thought were A tier the damn list was too big and looked fugly. So I broke it up a bit. That said, after more consideration I also divided it up slightly. he A tier consists of characters who are strong. They have general positive traits that can offset their negative ones but they aren't invincible or incredibly powerful. They are solid, powerful characters. I'm going to talk about the two outliers first, the one's everyone mostly agreed on with my list.

A+: I don't think its anyone's surprise that the three spacies are in A tier but why did I put Fox and Wolf above Falco? Simply put, while I don't think Fox or Wolf are broken or so overwhelming, I do think they don't have enough negative attributes. Falco, while retaining amazing pressure and combo game has a few negatives. For one, he has terrible speed. He is much slower than Fox and Wolf and as a result his Dash dance is okay and his running speed is lacking. He also has weak recovery and can't really play offstage because you'll plummet to your death. What's nice about Falco's negatives are that they help define him. He's a bird, he's slow as hell on the ground but packs a punch combo wise because of his amazing jump height and his strong horizontal kill moves.

Fox and Wolf don't seem to have these negative attributes. They're both fast, can gimp offstage very well, have good recoveries and more. I wouldn't call for a radical nerfing of these two but rather toning down so they are more in line with Falco. Obvious weaknesses that can help define them (maybe Fox being fastest of the three but weakest in general power while Wolf is a mix? Idk.) I don't think these characters are overpowered or overwhelming but they are above the rest of the A tier slightly.

A: These characters are powerful and contain a good fair deal mixing between positive and negative attributes. They don't contain the amazing all around feeling that the A+ do but they do have noticeable strengths and don't feel sluggish or lacking too much in any area. Some of them may or may not shift to A+ tier due to little counter-play to things in their kit but for now i've deemed them as such.

A-: While just as strong as the A tier, they do contain only a few or slightly more weaknesses making them not as solid as the higher A counterparts but not weak or unfavored in the slightest. To elaborate, I've felt and witnessed Mewtwo to be a very difficult character that lacks in areas such as strong easy to land smashes/specials and can be difficult to combo with if you don't know the character too well. That being said, i've seen Mewtwo's lay some nasty hurtings on other people and, sadly, myself to the point where my bum hurt too much. The same applies to all the A- characters.

The B tier

Characters in this tier are lacking in comparison to their A counterparts. They have something there that shows some level of strength and skill to achieve A tier but something holds them back. Characters should have weaknesses for sure but they shouldn't be so crippling that opponents can take full advantage of it and win solely from that glaring weakness.This isn't to say they are terrible, but they just need a little more of a push to reach higher tiers.

B+:
I don't feel that there are many B+ characters. Ganondorf and Charizard have clear strengths but have weaknesses that hold them back a bit. Ganon not as much but Charizard definitely has it, so he is subject to drop a tier. Kirby is also subject to change. He is either B+ or B. The reason why he retains the higher of the two is because of personal experience of meeting and talking with Kirby mains and witnessing how devastating he can be. That said he is lackluster in some areas. It's fine for characters to have weaknesses but Kirby seems to have a few of them, hence my not-so-sure position.

B: Characters in this tier have some niche strong abilities (Zelda Kicks, Link's chain grab combos/follow ups, and Ivy's zoning/space control) but there is something that usually hard-counters them (CC for ivy) or they are simply lacking in other areas of their kit that are lackluster. Olimar and IC's I honestly don't know where to put. I've put them at this tier simply because I have yet to see/meet a very solid and strong Olimar/IC player. Through my experience playing them i've found them both to be odd quirky characters that definitely have potential but I have not chose to explore that path and so I'm not sure on their placement. Jiggs is subject to change for the same reason. Many claim she can't deal with the Brawl characters but I have yet to see a PM Jiggs in consistent action.

The C tier

So only two characters are in this tier, DK and D3. They are by no means bad at all. I've had first hand experience of facing very powerful DK's and D3's and getting my ass handed to me. I've also met others who can say the same. That being said, while they can be very potent in the hands of an experienced player, in comparison to a majority of the cast they seem to be on the polar end of gameplay. They either get combo'd to death or they combo others to death. In neutral they perform decent but generally are on negative ground when playing against others. Once again, they aren't garbage but they do need some more love.
So, that's my freaking essay I wrote up. Feel free to haze/burn/flame/kill me discuss about the tier list I made. I'm open to criticism.

D

Deleted member

Link basically sucks lol.
i agree. pretty sure cam is just a god come amongst us in mortal form to rid the world of crappy fox players forever

lunk has the same problem most character have called being bad because slow

MrLul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrL300
no1s going to agree w/ me but (edit: move peach to b+)

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
no1s going to agree w/ me but
whee broken images

was gonna try to help but nothing in the url of that pic is showing up, either by going directly to it in my browser or by googling bits and pieces of it

upload to imgur maybe?

Last edited:

MrLul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrL300
whee broken images

was gonna try to help but nothing in the url of that pic is showing up, either by going directly to it in my browser or by googling bits and pieces of it

upload to imgur maybe?
did i fix it?

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
no1s going to agree w/ me but (edit: move peach to b+)
Kirby has no business being 12th best when he has unsavory MUs against most of the popular characters and gets practically shut down by a couple of characters. Send him to the border of B and B+.

He might have been that good in 3.02, but his current MU spread leaves something to be desired.

Last edited:

Rizner

Smash Ace
So I decided to come up with a tier list. Something of note before I drop my short story on it. I am by no means a top player so take these placements with a grain of salt. However, I have played numerous games competitively to the point where I feel comfortable on what I can consider strong, weak, and terrible or overpowered. That being said here is the list:

*There is no particular order within a tier*

So now you've had a range of reactions. You either want to weld my ******* shut and put a new one on my forehead for my placing of -insert X character here- or you just simply nodded your head and said "Yeah I can deal". Onto explaining my thoughts! Please note that this is a long written post explaining my thoughts.WALL OF TEXT INCOMING. You've been warned!

The most recent melee tier list is structured as S, A, B, and F. These tiers aren't rigidly defined but character viability is. S tiers will perform very well at nationals, A's not as much, B's will be very niche and very hard, and F is garbage tier. First and foremost every character in my tier list is viable and I definitely believe this to be true. You can do well with C tier or B tier characters at tournaments. There are no garbage or "niche" characters in this game. It's why i've strayed away from using D or lower because it implies that those characters are downright terrible to use or at least gives off that impression. There are no Poppy's of LoL or Pichu's of melee. Now for the breakdown of tiers.

The A Tier

Honestly, the simple reason why I divided the A tier into A+, A, and A- is because originally when I was putting all of the characters who I thought were A tier the damn list was too big and looked fugly. So I broke it up a bit. That said, after more consideration I also divided it up slightly. he A tier consists of characters who are strong. They have general positive traits that can offset their negative ones but they aren't invincible or incredibly powerful. They are solid, powerful characters. I'm going to talk about the two outliers first, the one's everyone mostly agreed on with my list.

A+: I don't think its anyone's surprise that the three spacies are in A tier but why did I put Fox and Wolf above Falco? Simply put, while I don't think Fox or Wolf are broken or so overwhelming, I do think they don't have enough negative attributes. Falco, while retaining amazing pressure and combo game has a few negatives. For one, he has terrible speed. He is much slower than Fox and Wolf and as a result his Dash dance is okay and his running speed is lacking. He also has weak recovery and can't really play offstage because you'll plummet to your death. What's nice about Falco's negatives are that they help define him. He's a bird, he's slow as hell on the ground but packs a punch combo wise because of his amazing jump height and his strong horizontal kill moves.

Fox and Wolf don't seem to have these negative attributes. They're both fast, can gimp offstage very well, have good recoveries and more. I wouldn't call for a radical nerfing of these two but rather toning down so they are more in line with Falco. Obvious weaknesses that can help define them (maybe Fox being fastest of the three but weakest in general power while Wolf is a mix? Idk.) I don't think these characters are overpowered or overwhelming but they are above the rest of the A tier slightly.

A: These characters are powerful and contain a good fair deal mixing between positive and negative attributes. They don't contain the amazing all around feeling that the A+ do but they do have noticeable strengths and don't feel sluggish or lacking too much in any area. Some of them may or may not shift to A+ tier due to little counter-play to things in their kit but for now i've deemed them as such.

A-: While just as strong as the A tier, they do contain only a few or slightly more weaknesses making them not as solid as the higher A counterparts but not weak or unfavored in the slightest. To elaborate, I've felt and witnessed Mewtwo to be a very difficult character that lacks in areas such as strong easy to land smashes/specials and can be difficult to combo with if you don't know the character too well. That being said, i've seen Mewtwo's lay some nasty hurtings on other people and, sadly, myself to the point where my bum hurt too much. The same applies to all the A- characters.

The B tier

Characters in this tier are lacking in comparison to their A counterparts. They have something there that shows some level of strength and skill to achieve A tier but something holds them back. Characters should have weaknesses for sure but they shouldn't be so crippling that opponents can take full advantage of it and win solely from that glaring weakness.This isn't to say they are terrible, but they just need a little more of a push to reach higher tiers.
B+: I don't feel that there are many B+ characters. Ganondorf and Charizard have clear strengths but have weaknesses that hold them back a bit. Ganon not as much but Charizard definitely has it, so he is subject to drop a tier. Kirby is also subject to change. He is either B+ or B. The reason why he retains the higher of the two is because of personal experience of meeting and talking with Kirby mains and witnessing how devastating he can be. That said he is lackluster in some areas. It's fine for characters to have weaknesses but Kirby seems to have a few of them, hence my not-so-sure position.

B: Characters in this tier have some niche strong abilities (Zelda Kicks, Link's chain grab combos/follow ups, and Ivy's zoning/space control) but there is something that usually hard-counters them (CC for ivy) or they are simply lacking in other areas of their kit that are lackluster. Olimar and IC's I honestly don't know where to put. I've put them at this tier simply because I have yet to see/meet a very solid and strong Olimar/IC player. Through my experience playing them i've found them both to be odd quirky characters that definitely have potential but I have not chose to explore that path and so I'm not sure on their placement. Jiggs is subject to change for the same reason. Many claim she can't deal with the Brawl characters but I have yet to see a PM Jiggs in consistent action.

The C tier

So only two characters are in this tier, DK and D3. They are by no means bad at all. I've had first hand experience of facing very powerful DK's and D3's and getting my *** handed to me. I've also met others who can say the same. That being said, while they can be very potent in the hands of an experienced player, in comparison to a majority of the cast they seem to be on the polar end of gameplay. They either get combo'd to death or they combo others to death. In neutral they perform decent but generally are on negative ground when playing against others. Once again, they aren't garbage but they do need some more love.
So, that's my freaking essay I wrote up. Feel free to haze/burn/flame/kill me discuss about the tier list I made. I'm open to criticism.
Overall I kinda like this list, but I have some questions about certain characters. Can you explain more specifically your placement decisions for Wario, Samus and Pit?
Also, I personally would move Kirby a bit lower (but could see the argument for him being where he's placed) - I think he has trouble against a lot of those top two lines at the moment.

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I did a thing for fun. Characters ARE ordered in their tiers, because I'm not lame ;).

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Well, you did say that no-one would agree with you... Can't argue with that.

And then Hylian's list happened. Hm.

@ Hylian Hylian thoughts on... Wario, Lucas, and Pikachu perhaps?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Well, you did say that no-one would agree with you... Can't argue with that.

And then Hylian's list happened. Hm.

@ Hylian Hylian thoughts on... Wario, Lucas, and Pikachu perhaps?
Wario is a character who has the tools to deal with any character. I believe this makes him very strong in a game where match-ups are so important. It's not like he wins all of them, but I don't think he loses any by a large margin. He's like a less volatile puff in the sense that he controls space in the air well and can go for huge combos/kills without putting himself in as much risk at puff. He's also way more resilient.

Lucas I didn't put much thought into. Could be anywhere afaik lol.

Pikachu has a lot of potential, but many of the things that make him great in melee don't apply to PM so I think he has a harder time playing attrition vs a lot of the cast compared to melee. It's as if he has to play a bunch of peach's in melee.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
Why is Ness so low in all of the tier lists I see wtf
I don't understand how people could think that he's bad other than his range being a little bit smaller than most. His movement options and punishes are too good to be a bad character. I mean, I don't think he's good as your making him out to be, but no one really understands him well enough to rate him entirely accurately at the moment.

Link is fine. I used to think he was bad, but the more I play against him I'm convinced that 99% of people are just kind of bad with him. He's good enough to get a gifted player far in tournament and has tools to compensate for his slow movement, and his punish game is fine in the hands of a good player. He could benefit from a couple changes on attacks here and there (why is ftilt as bad as it is, sdi screws him over a lot) but if people are making him work and getting results with him then chances are that he's not that bad.

As a sheik player, if you're not putting sheik in top 10ish character, you're probably wrong. She beats too many characters to be considered less.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
"low" on a PM list does not mean the character is bad. Not sure when people will get this.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Uhmmmmm... why is Tink top 5?
Because he's an absurdly fast character with amazing combos/juggling/defensive options. Not sure why everyone doesn't have him top 5. I think it's very obvious. (No I don't think he needs to be nerfed.)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Because he's an absurdly fast character with amazing combos/juggling/defensive options. Not sure why everyone doesn't have him top 5. I think it's very obvious. (No I don't think he needs to be nerfed.)
His MU spread is not top 5 material though.

He loses pretty badly to Spacies and characters with great DD games in general (MK and Falcon) all of which are fairly popular to some degree.

Like I think he is a good character overall with a mostly good (but polarized because he loses or goes even with to key popular characters while beating a ton of other less popular characters solidly) spread but it isn't top 5 material. Easy top 10 imo but not top 5.

And I mean your reasoning for having Tink as top 5 could easily be applied to Fox or some other characters.

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman
You, me and the other d3 players disagree on this. I know several of the D3 players feel 3.5 D3 was mid tier or better, due to his gameplan being pretty consistent across the broad cast. Yes, he has a set of bad matchups, but he has versatility against a ton of the cast, whether they are heavies, fat, floaty, fast faller, etc. He has the tools to kill anyone in the game if he gets them off stage, and the reason he fell so hard from 3.5->3.6 was because of the dair change that was a fundamental tool for him in neutral. Now that he can win neutral again, I and D3 players like Apollo think fairly in line that he's back to his mid tier or better status.

As for the usmash and swallow nerf, I believe swallow still pulls in people less aggressively than it did in 3.5, and usmash has better startup data but is slightly laggier. You've argued this is inconsequential while nearly every other D3 player i've spoken to thinks this move is buffed quite a bit. The character has tools to deal with everyone, and I think that makes him swell.

People tend to say things like "characters can't be buffed to fox again or we'll end up with 3.02" but I have yet to see people talk about what power level they want characters to rise towards. For me, I think Lucas, Wario, and Diddy sit in the upper half of hte cast, are fairly close together. You could argue that they are in different tiers, but it would be hard to argue that they are far apart as characters. I wish every character in the game could be buffed to be in that range of power. Do you guys like the current balance? If not, what would be your design philosophy?
after testing him a bit more extensively with zhime and guru, i think his neutral game is still worse than 3.5. his punish game is a lil better imo, but that;s about it. that makes him a slightly worse character. i did think he was at BEST mid tier-ish in 3.5 because there was some ambiguity, but now im fairly confident placing him at low or mid-low.

EDIT:

i do want to say i enjoy the way 3.6 dair was rebalanced. it does something more real to the move instead of gutting it - it can be spammed a bit more and you can land better with it, but it's weaker range and more precise combo hit means you have to make the dairs you DO use work. before, you could pretty much just throw them out willy nilly and hope to combo into fair.

however, he still needs more love and i'm not sure dair really needed to be nerfed without a bigger look at redesigning the character. i'm not as mad as i was at the beta though, thank god.

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
His MU spread is not top 5 material though.

He loses pretty badly to Spacies and characters with great DD games in general (MK and Falcon) all of which are fairly popular to some degree.

Like I think he is a good character overall with a mostly good (but polarized because he loses or goes even with to key popular characters while beating a ton of other less popular characters solidly) spread but it isn't top 5 material. Easy top 10 imo but not top 5.

And I mean your reasoning for having Tink as top 5 could easily be applied to Fox or some other characters.
I don't think he loses to spacies badly. I think it's closer to even, maybe 4-6 to fox. I disagree with a lot of common opinions on match-ups, so I wouldn't judge my list based off that. I think people vocalize what particular players think too much without actually putting thought or time into understanding characters.

Doctor Aids

Smash Cadet
First time posting in this thread hopefully this goes better than it did for 1flow lol.
Anyway, it seems like almost everyone is putting Fox and Wolf a tier above Falco, the only real reasons people cite for this are that Falco is slow and has a bad recovery. I don't really agree that these should put him a tier below the other spacies. As far as combo game and pressure he is at least on par with both Fox and Wolf. Being slow isn't really that much of a disadvantage when you have the best projectile in the game too, he probably has some of the best stage control in the entire cast and his lasers can completely shut down a ton of characters options. This gives Falco an absolutely great neutral game, which is mostly what we base tier lists off of anyway. As far as the recovery goes, sure his recovery sucks, but really what does it matter? If Fox is anywhere that he has to use upb then he should be dead too, and if it's a position where they would sideb Falco is in a better spot, so overall his recovery isn't even that much worse than foxes and shouldn't really be that much of a limiting factor, not to mention that you have to lose neutral to be put off stage in the first place. Overall I think Falco is pretty underrated when compared to the other spacies.

Last edited:

Doctor Aids

Smash Cadet
https://youtu.be/FrhbjRnz384?t=48 So why are we removing SDI modifiers entirely for things that clearly don't function without them and creating moves like this? Lol.
I think it had to do with the Project M design philosophy in which they state that they try to revise:
"Moves with SDI/hit-lag multipliers on them that circumvent the strength of Directional Influence (barring grounded multi-hit moves)"
Still though Link's Usmash is a grounded multi-hit move so honestly I have no ****ing clue.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Allowing SDI to completely invalidate moves in such an extreme way is even worse design imo.

And that's a good point. I didn't realize they said barring grounded attacks.

D

Deleted member

Are we intentionally posting joke tier lists? I don't get whats going on here.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Are we intentionally posting joke tier lists? I don't get whats going on here.
My list is the best list to ever grace this thread. Hop off.

loooooooooooooooooooooool

D

Deleted member

I feel like I'm being trolled harder than when seagull joe posted that Ness and GnW were the best in the game

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm not actually trolling. That was a somewhat serious list. It was like a 10 minutes of thought list.

That being said I think the prospect of making a tier list for PM at the moment is hilarious/impossible in and of itself. Not enough data, not enough good players, not enough time since changes, too balanced, etc etc. So yeah, my list is mainly for fun as I hope are most people's.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Speaking of design philosophy, can any pmdt tell me why low KBG with moderate BKB moves are essentially going extinct? In all recent patches, all I see are moves getting less bkb and more KBG as compensation

I don't understand why having reliable combos at even high % on floatiest and lower % on fast fallers is such a bad thing.

Grabs are easy to understandunderstand, but doing it to every move seems bad to me

Last edited:

Doctor Aids

Smash Cadet
Speaking of design philosophy, can any pmdt tell me why low KBG with moderate BKB moves are essentially going extinct? In all recent patches, all I see are moves getting less bkb and more KBG as compensation

I don't understand why having reliable combos at even high % on floatiest and lower % on fast fallers is such a bad thing
Not PMDT but in the design philosphy it says this :
"Revising moves with static knockback curves and making them scale more with percentage. This is intended to create a much more dynamic combo game that requires knowledge of percentages, fall speed/weight, stage positioning etc. and allows a player to develop with more time, knowledge and experience of the game."
It fits their design philosophy as the KBG causes you to use different moves to combo at different percents instead of the same combos all game at all percents. Not saying I agree with the philosophy but that's probably why they don't have too many low KBG moves.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
That philosophy seems like it would definitely polarize more MUs that it would help though

It also seems like it just makes characters only fish for grabs at higher % if no combo moves work anymore and their kill moves are too committal for general use

At least now I know why they nerfed DDD to absolute trash in 3.6b

Last edited:
Top Bottom