• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

D

Deleted member

Shes incredibly fast, quite literally ungimpable ESPECIALLY in a doubles enviorment, and shes another example of a character who doesn't need a lot of time to punish/establish position. Jason Waterfalls and Nashun was actually the hardest team I fought at Aftershock, and 99% of it was Jason. ZSS in doubles is ridiculous.

Most slow characters suck in doubles because they can't establish stage control quick enough vs the Tier 1/2 characters, and some other characters like marth suck because he can't put out constant hitboxes and his kills take FOREVER since his punish game takes the entire stage and 20+ seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I think lucario is EASILY top tier in doubles if not the best character. That character is sooooo insane in doubles.

I only have to randomly look 40 seconds into one of my last tournaments double matches to see me comboing two characters to the top of the screen at once lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpmcE_mAUxQ&t=41s

He just has so much to hit that he rarely ever has to commit to things, and can get easier kills with all the team set-ups and ease of approach in teams.

Edit: Look how he can just disengage from a combo to sandwich his opponent with his teammate, and even immediately move the combo towards there to set up for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpmcE_mAUxQ&t=1m32s
see to me lucario has a bad combo weight, mediocre recovery, mediocre team support options, and a lack of a good strong quick kill move like knee or fox upsmash. i think he can do some good stuff but mostly you just played like a beast in that match and its lucario vs 2 fat chars

Last edited by a moderator:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Samus is pretty bad in doubles because of the meh mobility and how utterly helpless she is when she's being juggled and can't reach solid ground. Missiles lose much of their utility as spammable long-lange pokes because your forced to be mindful of not hitting your teammate in the crossfire. Samus also takes a long while to get back on stage when knocked far thanks to her physics and how her recovery works, so the opponents can end up 2v1'ng the other guy that much more easily.

I like playing her every now and then to see if it's just a problem with my play, but I usually just switch to Zard for doubles.

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
see to me lucario has a bad combo weight, mediocre recovery, mediocre team support options, and a lack of a good strong quick kill move like knee or fox upsmash. i think he can do some good stuff but mostly you just played like a beast in that match and its lucario vs 2 fat chars and an un-nerfed ASC
Those players are also very very good. Andale almost beat Sethlon at the tournament he came up to here(and when I say almost I mean it's losers game 5 last stock nailbiter lol)., and he also won melee singles that tournament. Lucario can play either support or aggressor, he's so good at 2v1 his teammate can just kind of sit back and lucario can maneuver his way into forcing both teammates in between both of you. He can immediately disengage from a combo which is an incredible trait in teams that other characters don't really have. If I'm combing someone and see his teammate coming to help him I can just bam be done and hitting his teammate trying to help him because of his magic series. You make a point about ASC, but if you notice I don't really asc that much(aside from asc dairs to combo) and lean far more on a lot of down-b, because asc is much better in singles for the crazy combos than doubles. ASC combos kind of keep your opponent in the same spot and make it really easy for their teammate to help them, and also take a bit of set-up. When lucario instead launches his opponent he opens up his combo tree to be more versatile in keeping track of every other person on the screen. For example if in that second clip I showed I has just utilt ASC combo'd DK I wouldn't have been able to immediately switch to comboing DDD and helping my teammate.

I think lucario has to play way differently in doubles, but he is sooo slippery and a huge disruptor/combo threat that he really thrives when played in that manner.

Edit:

Someone help me with the falcon match-up ;_;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVUfTkwt4xQ

This guy has been my bane. I could have gone lucario and done better but I really want to learn it with IC's. I know I need to turn around after dthrow dairs to get the regrabs on those, and I missed a kill off a grab once, but man falcons mobility and approaches are hard for IC's to deal with x.x.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Frizz is a pretty smart player, I had some trouble with him myself until I figured out a few things about Falcon. Unfortunately Ice Climbers can't really use them like my characters can, so I'll keep them to myself. I'd ask Fly Amanita for some thoughts on that matchup actually, while it's certainly different in a few ways he likely has some insight on it that would prove helpful.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
but GUYS
double samus can do
DOUBLE
MISSILE
CAMPING
So like
If I became reaaaaallly good at missile platform cancel spamming
And my friend became reaaaallly good at missile platform cancel spamming
And we perfected our timings so that we were both alternating and never were in the way of one another
Would we have a complete impenetrable wall of missiles?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
The joke is that it would be impossibly hard to set-up, and not actually insurmountable
If the other team knows you can do it, it's as easy as banning stages it's best on, then having one player bum rush to shake things up before the double Sami could set up double missile camping while the other players cover for their mistakes/punishments. Additionally, two opponents means you can have a meatwall for the other player to approach through even if the missile camping gets set-up, or a shield from one player so the other get can close enough to nair through a missle and hit a samus. There also exist characters who are very mobile while high over head, like any multijumper/ROB/pit. Because of the density of the missiles, though, I imagine you would still come out way behind in actually percent during your attempt to get through, or you'd be a multi jumper eating a potential nair without many jumps while your partner gets mauled by missles, so my real criticism of this is just getting it set up, which would probably be impossibly unreliable since you have to do it for every stock you take against respawn invinc

Last edited:

Akhenderson

Smash Apprentice
After having played @ Akhenderson Akhenderson no way can I buy that Ness is 'bad'. I'm terrible with him, but that's a different thing entirely.

edit: Also I saved that rant to a text file for when it's inevitably deleted. I'm gonna print, laminate, and frame it, and hang it in Umbreon's bathroom at some point while he's housing me and he's not looking and thinks I've forgotten ;D
Ness is definitely not a good character by any means. I'm just super flashy but my combos are not that refined and my punish and edgeguarding is mediocre at best. We keep trying to find things that Ness is really good at, but so far, it's only his punish game that's insane. He lacks a way to safely guarantee kill combos, has an INSANELY TERRIBLE weight and fall speed which makes him susceptible to a lot of combos, his recovery is absolute garbage with no other way to get back on stage and loses to basic defensive options like shielding and crouch canceling. He loses REALLY HARD to crouch cancelling.
Honestly, the only reason I ever do well against players is because they haven't had the match up knowledge to play against a Ness. At NWM, I've had TONS and TONS of people ask me how to DI the dthrow and some people said the dthrow was an absolutely broken move with a guarenteed follow up after that throw, but that's completely false because dthrow now doesn't give Ness the ability to combo into a kill move and only tacks on small amounts of damage at high percents. Ness has to continuously fish for moves that lead into kill moves or kill moves themselves, none of which are safe on shield aside from magnet dashing into an fsmash.
Like, even all his B moves are bad or only just subpar. PK Flash can be REFLECTED for some reason and doesn't even knock opponents very far (You can DI it incredibly easily)... PK Fire is easily shieldable and even when it hits, people can easily DI it in different ways to stop Ness from comboing them. PK Thunder is weak as a recovery tool and PSI Magnet comes out incredibly slow compared to its similar shine-like equivalents.

As much as I make Ness look good, he's got way too many short comings to be on par with a majority of the cast. I keep telling everyone "Ness is low tier right?" very sarcastically, but in reality, it's because people aren't used to the fact that a character simply loses by holding down, and/or pressing shield and being patient. I have a very firm ideology for Ness which goes "If he's ever below the ledge, he should be dead."

Boiko

:drshrug:
As much as I make Ness look good, he's got way too many short comings to be on par with a majority of the cast. I keep telling everyone "Ness is low tier right?" very sarcastically, but in reality, it's because people aren't used to the fact that a character simply loses by holding down, and/or pressing shield and being patient. I have a very firm ideology for Ness which goes "If he's ever below the ledge, he should be dead."
When I saw that you posted, I was like, oh cool, Aki will defend the Ness hate, and now I'M LITERALLY SOBBING AT WORK. There are ways to deal with CC, ya know? It's not an extremely harder counter to Ness' game. It sucks, and it's hard to deal with, but it's not impossible. There are also ways to recover from below the ledge, albeit tricky. It's very contingent upon mixing up your recovery. I wish You guys could watch me grind with GP (This really solid Fox: [melee, I know, but it holds up] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPUrhQqhnmI.), for a few hours. I think it would change your minds about Ness' tier list placement.

@ The_NZA The_NZA
Every character in Smash has to beat shields, because Shielding is one of the strongest techniques in the game. Every character has one of 4 ways to do this.
1. Range/disjoints that can safely pressure a shield
2. Speed to move in and out of danger zones, force bad reactions, and then go in for grabs
3. Grab range, in which case their "threat zone" and "grab zone" can ambiguously overlap once again making the grab a valid mixup
4. Projectiles, allowing them to forego having good speed/grab range/disjoints so that they can close the distance and force a shield in a situation that leads to a grab (think Mario/Ivy)
Every character has SOME combination of these and is able to win neutral off of it. Ness has none of these.
Ness can safely pressure a shield with spaced bairs and magnet>nairs>dtilts. Also, pivot PK fires are godlike against shields, since they poke so frequently, but almost nobody uses them besides me and stereo. Yes, he has a bad grab range, but he has no problem getting in.

1. None of Ness's aerials can be safely spaced on shield without full crossups (which means he HAS to close in very close to be safe on shield). Even Ness perfectly spacing bair on the front of Marth's shield will lose to a frame perfect shield grab.
Why are you spacing bair on the front of Marth's shield to begin with? It only loses to shield grab if you run away like you do to the rest of the cast. Try mixing up your options out of said bair to bait and punish the grab instead. Alternatively, if you're going to attack the front of Marth's shield, a full hop bair hitting at the head of his shield is a significantly better option, as you can DJC into different follow ups if he tries to fair you OoS (he will).

2. Ness is above average in speed but not ACTUALLY fast like ZSS, Marth, Luigi, Falcon, Fox, Sonic, Pikachu, Squirtle, or any actual fast characters, so his speed doesn't really stack up
3. according to the stats sheet, Ness has the 3rd (?) worst grab range in the game. Only characters with worse grab range are Pikachu and Sonic, who are both fast.
These are just facts, not much to say about them. Slow characters can be successful though. Especially those with a form of burst movement.

4. Ness's projectile is garbage for the purpose of beating shields. THIS IS WITH 1 EXCEPTION--those players who master a 1 frame technique that results in a 4 frame landing lag horizontal pkfire could overcome this giving Ness a reasonable neutral game. It is possible for this to be accomplished but I don't think requiring this is really good design...
This isn't even true because lagless PK Fire takes just as much time as a pivot pk fire but with less cool down. You're goal after hitting a grounded PK Fire, which frequently pokes, shouldn't be to run up and grab. That's amateur 3.02 Ness habits. We already know Ness is too slow to get over there. Instead, your goal should be to read and punish the option they take to get out of the fire. If you can't get over in time because say, they rolled away, you now have corner pressure and a positional advantage.

Consider these 4 things individually and then add them together. As someone playing against Ness, what do you really need to worry about when you are 3 characters away? DJC fair/bair? Just have your WD OOS game or shield grab game down and you should be fine.
You're just making everything sound so amateur and that's not the way it is. If it were that easy, top players would be adapting and Ness players would have zero results in tournaments. Stereo was DQ'd R1 of a Florida tournament just yesterday for being late and he came through loser's bracket and beat Ghatzu in GF 3-2 and 3-0. You're telling me that in 8 games one of the best Falcon players around, who beat M2K, failed to adapt completely? No.

"But wait, uncle NZA. There's no way that's true--I've seen Ness's zip zap around with their DJC aerials. I KNOW Ness can move fast so why are you trying to convince me otherwise".
Well, my boy, consider how scary that DJC aerial style is. And then remember that Ness can't DJC WITHOUT committing to an aerial. Yes my son, he must commit to a close range aerial that is frame disadvantaged on shield that cannot even be timed to have maximum frame advantage because he has to start the no-windup aerials at the start of the second jump that gives him his momentum, meaning he hits your shield with most of his aerials unoptimally. Meaning if you stay in DJC fair/bair range against him, he can't even reliably approach you with DJC aerials without you threatening--shield + OOS responses. There's no jumping with ness and not committing to an aerial into a tomahawk grab unless your willing to float down with the 27th worst fall speed in the game. So he can't even reliably tomahawk from max DJC range.
You need to learn to short hop and late DJC nair next to the ground. You also need to learn to waveland out of your DJ since it goes stupid far and can bait a reaction. It just sounds like your play is super linear. "Space fair and bair until something connects" is never going to work. Read your opponents option, use grounded PK fires to punish their landing, bait an OoS option. Ness is a bait and punish character, not an aggressor. If you play hyper aggressive with Ness against any character other than IC's, you'll probably lose, and hyper aggressive seems to be your style. Stereo literally will not approach unless he has a read or hits with PKF. Literally NEVER. And what does he have? Results.

Ness's redeeming aspect to his play has to do with his punish game once he gets a hit, which largely will come from grab followups, dtilts, and platform reads. And these followups are VERY potent--until people adapt. And don't get me wrong--people aren't adapting yet, especially on the national level. Not that that's surprising. Most PM players aren't that adaptive yet by nature, and many haven't developed tons of character v character, style v style, or character v style experience so its to be expected.
I played and beat Cactuar, one of the smartest players of all time. All throughout the set, he was adapting like crazy. He was one of the only Fox players besides GP that would SDI fair so it was impossible to follow up on. So I just kept mixing up my options, baited nair approaches and punished with WD back grabs or CC dtilt. Adapting is a two way street.

Finally, the biggest issue with Ness in this patch is that he just doesn't have reliable ways to kill a lot of the cast at high percents, forcing him into a essentially horrible matchup spread. Ness's dthrow to uair no longer works at kill percents of any kind v. floaties like GnW, Peach, samus, kirby, squirtle, Ivy, Zelda, Luigi, Sonic, Mario, Mewtwo(?), etc. Ness's dtilt to uair doesn't work against those characters. Fair to uair doesn't work. He's forced to essentially get a raw dair in neutral (extremely hard), a raw bair in neutral (good luck), or knick at the opponent till he is at 140+% when he can finally usmash OOS. It is not uncommon to see Ness struggle to kill floaties at every stock in a set, and when a character with a terrible neutral who relies on combos can neither combo his opponent reliably NOR setup kills on them, he's in pretty bad shape.
I'll agree that Ness suffers from Marth syndrome. He can't really kill at higher percentages. But you're failing to mention nair, which is arguably his best kill move. Ness is more about edge guarding. Every character you listed can be edge guarded besides Mewtwo and Kirby.

This has already been proven too, imo, with how well even good ness's have done when faced withpeople who actually have Ness experience. Sol/Sora/Apollo Ali rocked Boiko's Ness and Poob messed up Stereokidd.
SoL game three last stock while I was running the tournament, under extreme stress, and had people calling my name in the background.
Sora last stock in Ness' worst MU besides maybe Samus.
Apollo last stock, last hit in a match up I wasn't super familiar with whereas he has tons of experience playing with you. But yeah, I got rocked. Would love to play any of them again, now that I'm actually good. But you're only talking about losses here, and you're neglecting to mention wins, which are equally as important. Plup, Foxy Grandpa, Aklo, Fuzzyness, Ghatzu, Cactuar, TCOne, Seagull Joe, DarkBlues, Malachi, DVD, Face, Hero of Time, GuruKid, Animal, Codi, Sora, BubbaKing, Ben Grimm, Hax, Zubat, VaNz...plenty of which have Ness experience. That's just a mix of mine and Stereo's wins.

Changes I would test with Ness for him to actually be good?
1. Decrease startup of Magnet from frame 8 JCable on frame 11 to frame 5 JCable on frame 8
2. Increase damage (which in turn buffs hitstun) from 4% to 6%. The concept being that he will be able to mag dash into actual kill followups on floaties AND comboing with magnet will be more reliable and incentivized (whereas right now its mostly there for flashiness while it gives your opponent more opportunities to DI mixup you)
3. Increase damage of Ness's bair from 15% to 16% or 17%, giving it more shield stun and therefore making it safer on shield. You could compensate the knockback to be the same, although it isn't necessary. With this change, Ness could reliably pressure a shield from a distance with well spaced bairs, allowing him to "open up" opponents more and have the chance to "stagger" their neutral and setup the circumstances for himself to get into that close range where he gets his mag dash and dash grab mixups.
Agree with pretty much all of this. I also think he should have a better angle on backthrow. I grabbed Cactuar at 140% under the left platform of PS2 with my back to the ledge. Back throw did not kill. It took 160% and for him to be on the platform for it to kill him OFF OF THE TOP.

And most importantly, I don't think most of your points are farfetched. You're right. He has a weakness to CC, his shield pressure isn't the greatest, and his recovery is pretty abysmal and requires stupid amounts of mix ups. But I don't think Ness is a bad character by any means. Certainly not third or fourth from the bottom.

Last edited:

Experiment 5

Smash Rookie
Ness is mid tier. I think a lot of his bad matchups can be overcome using the extreme variability djc characters get in placing their aerials. Pretty much any hit can convert into a zero-to-death if you're on top of things.

He does suffer from the marth-is-an-autolose disease that a lot of pm characters seem to have.

Bowser is good too

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Apollo last stock, last hit in a match up I wasn't super familiar with whereas he has tons of experience playing with you. But yeah, I got rocked. Would love to play any of them again, now that I'm actually good. But you're only talking about losses here, and you're neglecting to mention wins, which are equally as important. Plup, Foxy Grandpa, Aklo, Fuzzyness, Ghatzu, Cactuar, TCOne, Seagull Joe, DarkBlues, Malachi, DVD, Face, Hero of Time, GuruKid, Animal, Codi, Sora, BubbaKing, Ben Grimm, Hax, Zubat, VaNz...plenty of which have Ness experience. That's just a mix of mine and Stereo's wins.

Agree with pretty much all of this. I also think he should have a better angle on backthrow. I grabbed Cactuar at 140% under the left platform of PS2 with my back to the ledge. Back throw did not kill. It took 160% and for him to be on the platform for it to kill him OFF OF THE TOP.

And most importantly, I don't think most of your points are farfetched. You're right. He has a weakness to CC, his shield pressure isn't the greatest, and his recovery is pretty abysmal and requires stupid amounts of mix ups. But I don't think Ness is a bad character by any means. Certainly not third or fourth from the bottom.
I'm terrible vs :ness2:. He's one of my personal worst matchups. I just beat most :ness2:'s because I end up being a smarter player.
he's beaten the pmdt by getting 3rd at a major with bowser
A major where...?

:018:

Last edited:

Rizner

Smash Ace
[quote="boiko]
And most importantly, I don't think most of your points are farfetched. You're right. He has a weakness to CC, his shield pressure isn't the greatest, and his recovery is pretty abysmal and requires stupid amounts of mix ups. But I don't think Ness is a bad character by any means. Certainly not third or fourth from the bottom.[/quote]
I am of the mindset Ness is bad comparative to the rest of the cast. I would see him in the bottom 10 most likely.

When you say: He has a weakness to CC, his shield pressure isn't the greatest, and his recovery is pretty abysmal and requires stupid amounts of mix ups.
What makes a character bad in your eyes? Having those weaknesses, while they can be played aroundto an extent, are still weaknesses. What character weaknesses must exist in this game to constitute a bad character?

Boiko

When you say: He has a weakness to CC, his shield pressure isn't the greatest, and his recovery is pretty abysmal and requires stupid amounts of mix ups.
What makes a character bad in your eyes? Having those weaknesses, while they can be played aroundto an extent, are still weaknesses. What character weaknesses must exist in this game to constitute a bad character?
Having no options to circumvent said weaknesses. Does Ness have top tier shield pressure? No. Does he have adequate shield pressure, and options to deal with shielding opponents? Yes. Does Ness have a weakness to CC? Yes. Does he have answers to CC that require a bit more thought than other members of the cast? Yes. Does he have a garbage recovery? Yes. Can he mix up his recovery to make his opponent require a read instead of a free punish? Yes.

He has weaknesses that are easier to exploit than others, that's for sure, but nothing is auto lose like others make it seem.

D

Deleted member

i see boiko has the same problem i do about not being able to ignore bads on the internet lol, but hey at least its better than popping off about dk's shield options lmao

yeah i dont think ness is bad by any means, he has some issues but all of the well designed characters do, its the counterplay that makes the character interesting

The_NZA

Smash Lord
First off, thanks for posting Boiko. Always nice to actually build with Ness mains about the character and challenge some of my notions.

I'll start by saying pivot PK fire is neither a new thing nor a godlike thing. Most of my ground pkfires are pivoted, and I've been using them for a long time. I don't think they are as good as you think they are.

They control some space, but have a lot of end lag. You gain less than a wavedash of distance to keep yourself safe while being stuck in enough lag to lose to someone who guesses and jumps over with an aerial. That fact alone doesn't make it bad--nearly everything in the game has a response and a counter, and having a counter doesn't make it bad.

What makes it bad for Ness is that the responses to PKfire are nearly the same as the responses to anythign else Ness does from that distance, and requires Ness to guess in neutral when his opponent will let their guard up to beat it.

Consider we are in the situation where you are in max range and Ness can pivot pk fire. What are Ness's options?

A. pivot pkfire
b. dash attack
c. DJC fair

Those are the only quick options Ness can do to invade his opponents space. He's too slow to just dash in and mixup a la Falcon/Sonic/Pika/the rest, and he doesn't have a projectile he can run with to get real positional advantage off of pkfiring a shield.

So that means an opponent can just shield reactively to Ness at this range. Well, shielding a pkfire isn't going to win the game for Ness's opponent. Jumping will give them a free victory in neutral. The thing is, an opponent can shield every time to protect themselves and make an appropriate guess when its going to be a dash attack or DJC fair. If they jump v. DJC fair, they get hit. If they jump v. dash attack, they get a free punish.

let's look at Ness's side of this equation now.

Ness can pkfire the shield which gives him no ground. OR Ness can dash attack or DJC fair which makes him extremely vulnerable if his opponent shields and gives his opponent a free punish. If the opponent is patient, at best for Ness it is a stale mate. At worst its a guessing game of hoping your opponent will try to get closer to you or jump, and you'll catch them with a DJC fair (but if you pkfired/dash attacked, you lose neutral), or they'll try to retreat/ run in and grab you and you'll respond with a dash attack with good timing and beat them out (djc fair loses to the retreat, but beats the dash grab in). It's a stilted game of RPS at that pivot pkfire range where Ness has two scissors and a paper, and his opponent has RPS.

Some opponents will stimply WD oos after the pkfire and just have frame advantage on you and positionally enter a stronger position, but to Ness's benefit, he likes his opponents being this close.

Conclusion, I really think if your pivot pkfire game is working, its either because your opponents are impatient or they are guessing worse than you. Which speaks to your competency in your read game, but honestly I can't think of many characters with this stilted options in neutral.

Ness can safely pressure a shield with spaced bairs and magnet>nairs>dtilts. Also, pivot PK fires are godlike against shields, since they poke so frequently, but almost nobody uses them besides me and stereo. Yes, he has a bad grab range, but he has no problem getting in.
I would argue Ness does have problems getting in. Because 3 or 4 character lengths away, he has like...3 options, and once he closes in his options open up.

Why are you spacing bair on the front of Marth's shield to begin with? It only loses to shield grab if you run away like you do to the rest of the cast. Try mixing up your options out of said bair to bait and punish the grab instead. Alternatively, if you're going to attack the front of Marth's shield, a full hop bair hitting at the head of his shield is a significantly better option, as you can DJC into different follow ups if he tries to fair you OoS (he will).
All of the options that you mentioned are good require Ness to already be extremely close to the opponent. I don't deny Ness has a plethora of options to open up an opponent once he's one character length away from them. I just think he has minimal options when he's anything further than that BESIDES reactively DJC fairing an overextending opponent. The benefit of playing against people who have no character experience against Ness is that they overextend CONSTANTLY, and they continuously underestimate just how far DJC fair can go. DJC fair is awesome when you know your opponent has overextended, but as his only tool in neutral to actually "get in", its a pretty dangerous guessing game. That doesn't mean its unservicable--but every other character in Smash can more safely threaten a shield either with disjoints/range, a spectacular dash dance, the threat of massive grabs, or a projectile to force responses in neutral.

These are just facts, not much to say about them. Slow characters can be successful though. Especially those with a form of burst movement.
I listed all of those "facts" to compare the paradigm I established versus the reality of Ness. The fact is every character in this game has either good speed, good attack range, good grab range, or a projectile that forces reactions. Great characters have some combination of this. Ness has NONE of these, and it is a critical reason why safe intelligent play will always beat him out. Non semifast fallers/fast fallers have the luxury of being allowed to make more mistakes against Ness in Neutral and still win (in neutral and punish game). Semi fast fallers/fast fallers get punished hard when they overextend in neutral, which is why in tournaments we will often see good Ness players beat reputable Fast faller/semi fast faller users who don't understand the character they are playign against.

T
his isn't even true because lagless PK Fire takes just as much time as a pivot pk fire but with less cool down. You're goal after hitting a grounded PK Fire, which frequently pokes, shouldn't be to run up and grab. That's amateur 3.02 Ness habits. We already know Ness is too slow to get over there. Instead, your goal should be to read and punish the option they take to get out of the fire. If you can't get over in time because say, they rolled away, you now have corner pressure and a positional advantage.
lagless pkfire has the same startup as pivot pkfire, but where it dffers is that the time between the pkfire releasing and you acting after it is 4 frames of landing lag. That's pretty damn good for a lot of reasons.

1. It obstructs the predictability of "pk fire, pkfire, pkfire, here's a bunch of new options now". With pivot pkfires, you face enough end lag that they can pretty much prepare with ease if you decide to rush down after a couple pk fires and enter that space where Ness's options open up. With EX fire, they don't have nearly enough time to respond.

2. Because you can pkfire horizontally while still being air borne (and not needing to be way up 45 degrees), its less clear to the opponent when you might go for the DJC fair v. the pkfire, making the guessing game work far more in Ness's favor. Again, it obfuscates the RPS game in Ness's favor so that while he's pelting you with pkfires, you really don't know when he might just DJC fair into your face.

3. It makes pkfire less punishable. With 4 frames of lag, you can dash away or respond with a counterhit even if your opponent reads that you were going to be doing a grounded pkfire and tries to commit to a short hop aerial. It's also means WD OOS v. pkfire offers no frame advantage and might even be frame disadvantaged. Indeed, EXfire makes Ness's neutral at those mid and far ranges significantly stronger.

You're just making everything sound so amateur and that's not the way it is. If it were that easy, top players would be adapting and Ness players would have zero results in tournaments. Stereo was DQ'd R1 of a Florida tournament just yesterday for being late and he came through loser's bracket and beat Ghatzu in GF 3-2 and 3-0. You're telling me that in 8 games one of the best Falcon players around, who beat M2K, failed to adapt completely? No.
Yeah actually I kind of do feel that way. StereoKIDD beating strong falcons/foxes/whatever isn't new. Ness has always been extremely good at punishing spacies and in the powerful hands of someone like StereoKIDD, you, Myself, or Akhi, I have no doubts we could beat any spacie or falcon that over commits enough times and doesn't play patient enough. Stereo also beat Hax at GUTS 3 when Stereo was half the player he is now. I've beaten Zero's Fox in the only friendly set we played. I used to have a 3-1 record in friendlies with Darc's Falcon. Good Ness players are largely playing on an even battlefield against many of the fast fallers, and if they have inexperience, it definitely moves in Ness's favor.

Ness can just punish overextensions so well, so its not really surprising to me. This is obviously not to say I think any less of Stereo, you, me, or any Ness player. I just don't think beating fast fallers/semi fast fallers is evidence of the reasons why Ness is at the bottom of the tier list.

You need to learn to short hop and late DJC nair next to the ground. You also need to learn to waveland out of your DJ since it goes stupid far and can bait a reaction. It just sounds like your play is super linear. "Space fair and bair until something connects" is never going to work. Read your opponents option, use grounded PK fires to punish their landing, bait an OoS option. Ness is a bait and punish character, not an aggressor. If you play hyper aggressive with Ness against any character other than IC's, you'll probably lose, and hyper aggressive seems to be your style. Stereo literally will not approach unless he has a read or hits with PKF. Literally NEVER. And what does he have? Results.
The only thing I don't do here is waveland out of DJ, and camp.I understand your style of Ness is fairly campy but that's really not how I want to play the character. Baiting an opponent requires them to approach somewhat, and there are ways to do that without having to camp. Falcon, for example is a very bait heavy character, but he has ways to assert shield pressure without playing guessing games.

Personally, I think I bait a lot more than you and StereoKIDD in unique ways that involve playing in my opponents space with breeverse magnets and breverse mag dashing, while you are far more about safely chipping and chipping until an opponent decides to challenge you. I would like both play styles to be viable because, as a Melee Ness player, I don't want to play Ness's neutral game like I'm Samus. That's not my idea of fun.

I played and beat Cactuar, one of the smartest players of all time. All throughout the set, he was adapting like crazy. He was one of the only Fox players besides GP that would SDI fair so it was impossible to follow up on. So I just kept mixing up my options, baited nair approaches and punished with WD back grabs or CC dtilt. Adapting is a two way street.
This is sort of the crux of what i'm talking about. Cactuar was one of the only Foxes you face to SDI fair...it sort of exemplifies what i'm trying to say. I think Ness is a strong character when his opponents don't have character specific experience, but when his opponents do have that experience a lot of his neutral game crumbles beyond its paltry options. Ness is a pretty tricky guy when you are trying to adapt midset. Personally, I think we'll see a pattern where Ness will do worse and worse in his local scenes where players learn the character and still continue to do well at Nationals dependent on brackets and who he faces. I actually live in a region where the Melee players have more Ness experience than pretty much any region in the world, seeing as the best Melee Ness of all time lives here.

Someone like Mafia has only played me once in bracket, and he was figuring stuff on the fly but still knew quite a bit about character limitations.

I'll agree that Ness suffers from Marth syndrome. He can't really kill at higher percentages. But you're failing to mention nair, which is arguably his best kill move. Ness is more about edge guarding. Every character you listed can be edge guarded besides Mewtwo and Kirby.
I don't disagree with this. I just think almost every character in the game has a variation of jab -> usmash/fsmash or leadins to kills except the occasional strong character like Marth. Those characters that don't have those types of followups either have decent smash attacks for the purpose or at least disjoints to safely tack on damage till the kill opens up. Ness doesn't have those things. Its either usmash once your opponent is at 140% or its spaced bairs which are largely unsafe.

The summary of my argument is simple. When Ness is one character length away, he has a lot of options. Dash grab, mag dash, djc aerials, WD dtilt, and awesome OOS options. When he's 3 characters away, he has no good options. The difficulty is, how do you get from the 2 character range into something closer or further when you don't have the dash dance/grab range/spaced aerials to get there?

As a final note, i'd challenge anyone to list a character that doesn't have some combination of those 4 pillars that advantage a player v. Shield. I have a feeling no one will be able to come up with a character in this game that doesn't have one of them.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
>Ness has a TERRIBLE weight

Ness has the most average weight of the roster....
Average doesn't mean good. Believe it or not, it IS a combo fodder weight class. Even Ness ****s on Ness with combos.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It didn't really have the talent pool to be referred to as such and almost no good player would argue otherwise. I doubt Odds would disagree with me and he politically has the most to gain from it being categorized such, it being his break-out tournament and all. It'd be funny to make fun of people who don't consider it a major if it weren't the prevailing opinion among good players.

Last edited:

KhanYe

Smash Journeyman
I think the major problem that people have when discussing characters' placements on the tier list is that there has to be characters at the bottom of the tier list just above ICs and Olimar. Every character in this game has a somewhat decent toolkit at worst. A character can have a very solid toolkit and still be bottom ten in the game, which speaks to the balance of the cast.

I think Ness fits that bill, where he clearly has a very solid toolkit, but I think that most characters have better tools to succeed than he does.

Last edited:

Rizner

Smash Ace
Having no options to circumvent said weaknesses. Does Ness have top tier shield pressure? No. Does he have adequate shield pressure, and options to deal with shielding opponents? Yes. Does Ness have a weakness to CC? Yes. Does he have answers to CC that require a bit more thought than other members of the cast? Yes. Does he have a garbage recovery? Yes. Can he mix up his recovery to make his opponent require a read instead of a free punish? Yes.

He has weaknesses that are easier to exploit than others, that's for sure, but nothing is auto lose like others make it seem.
Gotcha. What characters do you see having weaknesses that can't be circumvented? At this point, I feel like that argument could be made for anyone in the cast.

I think the major problem that people have when discussing characters' placements on the tier list is that there has to be characters at the bottom of the tier list just above ICs and Olimar. Every character in this game has a somewhat decent toolkit at worst. A character can have a very solid toolkit and still be bottom ten in the game, which speaks to the balance of the cast.

I think Ness fits that bill, where he clearly has a very solid toolkit, but I think that most characters have better tools to succeed than he does.
Yeah, this is what I was trying to get at but did not correctly articulate.

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
Average doesn't mean good. Believe it or not, it IS a combo fodder weight class. Even Ness ****s on Ness with combos.
That makes sense on second thought. He isn't light enough to escape combos easily, nor heavy enough to really be "beefy" vs KOs.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
A lot of my go-to combo starters with most of my characters aren't that great against Ness, though if I can get a combo going I can usually put something together. He's definitely less susceptible to throw combos than "combo fodder" would imply or usually mean.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Throws are weird, aren't they 100% fall speed dependent unless its a weight-affected animation?

The_NZA

Smash Lord
A lot of my go-to combo starters with most of my characters aren't that great against Ness, though if I can get a combo going I can usually put something together. He's definitely less susceptible to throw combos than "combo fodder" would imply or usually mean.
Additionally, it might just be Ness had one of those special weights that's very easy for a large part of the cast to combo but not everyone. From my experience, Ike, GnW and dk get really nice followups on ness. Can't speak for wario because of a lack of experience.

Ness is pretty easy to combo because he's not floaty enough to get away, nor heavy enough to get out of hitstun and counter attack easily, compounded with having one of the slowest double jumps and slow low range aerials means you won't be getting out of being juggled if you are Ness.
But I do know Poob striggles to do things like uthrow DK punch v me, so there might be some combos where his fall speed can be deceiving.

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
Honestly, from what I've seen, basically everyone says their main has the same 3 weaknesses.

1. Loses to crouch cancel
2. Bad combo weight
3. Bad approach options

I have seen very few exceptions.

#1 Maybe we should look at tweaking that a bit? eh?

#2 is relevant here. Trust me, everyone that isn't samus, jiggles, luigi etc. have a "bad combo weight." Ness has a pretty average overall combo weight, it's just that comboing is pretty powerful in this game.

#3 A lot of people say if an approach can be read and beaten it isn't a "safe approach" which is BS.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Honestly, from what I've seen, basically everyone says their main has the same 3 weaknesses.

1. Loses to crouch cancel
2. Bad combo weight
3. Bad approach options

I have seen very few exceptions.
I think Tink does fine against CCing, tbh.

Tink does get combo'd pretty hard at time but that is true for most of the cast bh.

I also think Tink has solid approach options.

I guess I'm an exception? lol

Boiko

slow aerials
4 frame nair, 5 frame dair?

I'm at work, or else I'd address your other points, but what it's going to come down to is that yes, you are correct, Ness doesn't gave great options from three character lengths away, and he's great up close and personal. Yes, his approaches can be stopped by a shield if you read them. But the problem I'm seeing here is that you're relying too much on approaching. I understand it's boring to you to play campy and wait for your opportunity. That's fine, play the game the way that makes you happy. But if you don't have great approach options, you're going to lose when you try to approach/play aggressive.

The biggest difference between EXFire and grounded PK Fire is that you need to be one frame consistent for one of them. If you go for something like that, and I'm Fox, I'm going to take my chances that you miss it, and your four frames of lag is plenty for a running Fox to waveshine>up smash you. I don't take undue risks like that. I throw out PK Fire from a safe distance, force my opponent to approach me, then punish when they come in. Ness has a baller DD for the record.

I'm a Samus main in melee and Stereo was a brawl player. We get being patient, lol. It's ingrained in our brains.

Lastly, I only do better and better in my local scene. I used to go even with Face, lose to Ben Grimm, Animal, Codi, Godot, Raptor, now I don't lose to any of them, even though they have plenty of Ness exposure.

Edit: Oh, and SDI-ing G&W combos makes for a safe lil boy.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
@ Akhenderson Akhenderson my apologies then, I know what it's like to have people overrate your character as a direct result of your hard work. Keep it up dude, you'll be the best Ness in no time.

It didn't really have the talent pool to be referred to as such and almost no good player would argue otherwise. I doubt Odds would disagree with me and he politically has the most to gain from it being categorized such, it being his break-out tournament and all. It'd be funny to make fun of people who don't consider it a major if it weren't the prevailing opinion among good players.
I don't really think there's much to be gained from arguing about semantics either way. A lot of really amazing players showed up, some of whom are more under the radar than others, or are more famed for their melee exploits (@agidius @ Akhenderson Akhenderson , SilentWolf, Bladewise, PPU, SFAT, Chillin, Fox, @Chevy , and others). Probably nobody will ever give @agidius the proper amount of credit for taking SilentWolf out first round, nor will anybody believe that I think if top 5 were judged solely on character mastery, it would've been Chillin, myself, Agi, Aki, and Chevy, in that order. Agi was easily the scariest opponent I faced other than Chillin; I'm pretty annoyed at how impossible of a matchup ICs are for Bowser, but more annoyed at myself for not seeing that curveball coming.

I'm pretty goddamn proud of how I played, and my placement, regardless of whether it was a 'real' major or not. If anybody believes at this point that I'm not a serious national level threat, hopefully my results at LTC3 and Paragon will speak for themselves.

I'll probably suck hard at the next couple locals though due to probably going 100% Ivysaur to learn her properly. I'm sick of dealing with 70:30, 80:20, and legit 90:10 matchups. :/

Out of curiosity, who have you beaten and why is Bladewise your avatar lol?
nobody good. Don't worry about it. :drshrug:

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
lunchables doesn't understand doubles if he thinks ganon is bad in them. and zelda still sucks in doubles, tier 3 at best

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
@ Ripple Ripple agree, Ganon is probably top tier doubles, Bowser probably a tier (maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe 2) below that.

The mitigation of their terrible neutral games combined with their enormously huge threat area and survivability is a pretty big deal.

D

Deleted member

@ Ripple Ripple im the only that convinced zach to put zelda in tier 1. zelda is a very obvious and linear character in teams- she has a good combo weight, good recovery, decent assist options, 2 knees, aa great dsmash and a super safe fsmash. shes good against crouch, good at holding position in her nearby vicinity, and her moves are extremely non-situational and versatile. in melee you could ignore her and 2 v 1 her teammate, but even good players rarely actually play this strategy out correctly, and in PM it doesnt work anyway because of teleporting. she really doesnt need anything past her phsyics and 4 obnoxious moves to be top tier at teams. she's also just really obnoxious to play against and encourages misplays in a way im sure you are intimately familiar with.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ganon's worth in teams tremendously depends on what the other 3 characters are imo. Like way more so than the average "good" teams character. If I were to place him relative to Lunchables list, he would be right underneath Lucario/Jiggs and Ike would move up above Ganon as well.

Also deng Zelda is really high, but then again Oracle makes her look obnoxious good sometimes in teams.

Top Bottom