• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

blaznitr00

Smash Rookie
I speculate that there will be a tier list. :troll:

Curious where people think the new 2.5 characters fit. Haven't gotten around to playing the demo yet (cause I got Xenoblade! :D), but it looks to me like Squirtle has the most potential of them. He's like vbrawl Sonic in that he has a ton of fakeouts, except vSonic's options are terrible 90% of the time even though he has a lot of them whereas Squirtle doesn't have that problem.

hi u wanabattle squirte dido

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman
I'm getting this tattooed on my forehead:

"Your overblown sense of self importance combined with your adhominem spewing "elite guard" attitude towards the web like a fat leech sucking on the attention of those around you to inflate your size is revolting."

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
After having played @Akhenderson no way can I buy that Ness is 'bad'. I'm terrible with him, but that's a different thing entirely.

edit: Also I saved that rant to a text file for when it's inevitably deleted. I'm gonna print, laminate, and frame it, and hang it in Umbreon's bathroom at some point while he's housing me and he's not looking and thinks I've forgotten ;D

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
So, on a lighter topic because I ain't touchin' that ****.

I really think that QD Attack either needs to be nerfed heavily or be eliminated completely.

QD seems be nature to be a punish extension and a positioning tool. You use it to extend combos, tech chase, positioning, etc. QD in this regard is fine as this, it works well and I think it's pretty well balanced.

So then why on earth is QD attack a thing, there's very little utility in it when it comes to a punish extension, and unlike all other QD tools, it's only purpose seems to be as a tool in the neutral rather then anything else. I do personally think that if the meta developed, QD in neutral would be eventually seen as unviable, but QD attack simply does not fit with the rest of the tool that is QD and it's developing some unhealthy habits in low-mid level Ike's.

The only time it seems fine is when Ike is trying to recover because Ike losing QD attack in the air has a lot of consequences to Ike's recovery game, and a lot more then I think anyone would initially think. I understand that cutting it on the ground but not the air seems unintuitive, but god damn QD Attack does not fit in with the rest of its design and is a remnant of Brawl tech.

Also, it'd screw over bad Ike's who don't know how to neutral, and that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside... I'm kinda a ****. WE.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
They should change Ike's QD animation on the ground so that it looks like he's going head-first down a really long slip-n-slide

Also change his sword to a water noodle Roy's tipper Melee Roy's tipper

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

no doubt that QD as an attack is very good, but if it werent there it would basically be not usable because it would just say "attack me right now" whenever you tried.

atm ike is a good character that has a few holes but he can finesse around them, and is imo one of the best designed characters in the game

Bazkip

Smash Master
After having played @Akhenderson no way can I buy that Ness is 'bad'. I'm terrible with him, but that's a different thing entirely.

edit: Also I saved that rant to a text file for when it's inevitably deleted. I'm gonna print, laminate, and frame it, and hang it in Umbreon's bathroom at some point while he's housing me and he's not looking and thinks I've forgotten ;D
Make sure you do it just before leaving because otherwise he'll chaingrab you to death irl.

MLGF

Smash Lord
QD in neutral SHOULD be an attack me right now option. It's a clear commitment in a game where committing blindly generally gets you punished. I just said QD WILL be a dreadful option in the near future, because that's exactly what you claim an attackless QD would be.

QD has so much utility in its ability to be used as a burst positioning movement allowing him to tech chase rather well, a great extension on combos thanks to Ike's momentum coming out of it,, and has so much utility in its regard as a punish tool in multiple ways. Taking away the grounded QD attack would not hurt QD's utility in these ways and would give it a much clearer utility while not taking away what makes QD so unique.

And I agree, I think Ike is clearly well designed, I've mained him since 2.0 and haven't stopped since I love how he plays. But if you think QD Attack fits in with the clear utility that comes out of jumping out of QD, I have to disagree.

What it would hurt is a out of place option on the rest of his kit.

Last edited:

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
QD is fine as a combo extender and tech chase tool, since without it it would be difficult for him to keep up with a lot of fast characters. I don't think theres a real issue with it, since good players should be able to shut it down in neutral consistently, and it's relatively mediocre (still not terrible) against projectiles.

Ike's uthrow is ridiculously good for positioning but I'm not quite sure if its too good.

The only thing i find questionable on ike is dair spike. If a fast faller DIs uthrow off stage, you can get a free kill at low-mid percents. Incorrect DI off fthrow or bthrow is pretty much a stock too on the majority of the cast. I don't think it would be terribly detrimental to him if it was just a strong meteor, but its not really game breaking design-wise the way it is now.

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman

Well, I'll have some of it saved on my forehead in case you ever accidentally delete it.

MLGF

Smash Lord
QD is fine as a combo extender and tech chase tool, since without it it would be difficult for him to keep up with a lot of fast characters. I don't think theres a real issue with it, since good players should be able to shut it down in neutral consistently, and it's relatively mediocre (still not terrible) against projectiles.

Ike's uthrow is ridiculously good for positioning but I'm not quite sure if its too good.

The only thing i find questionable on ike is dair spike. If a fast faller DIs uthrow off stage, you can get a free kill at low-mid percents. Incorrect DI off fthrow or bthrow is pretty much a stock too on the majority of the cast. I don't think it would be terribly detrimental to him if it was just a strong meteor, but its not really game breaking design-wise the way it is now.
Of course, and I do think in time QD in neutral, and by extension QD Attack, will eventually be snuffed out by people within a year but I think it'd be healthy for his playerbase to lose QD attack right now due to not fitting the rest of QD's design.

Honestly, I don't think Ike needs any nerfs outside of that. I see the complaint about Dair, but generally it's only a thing off of poor DI.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I would listen to this guy. He's the best Marth in PM, the self professed 2nd best Marth in Melee after Dr. PP, and was the best Zelda player in Melee to have ever lived. He also is definitely right because his post count exceeds total games played by practically any smash player, including himself. He's also good enough to be 2 stocked by NZA when he was in his first month of competitive play. I think he knows what he's talking about.

EDIT:

Your hubris is literally the worst thing in the smash community that I have ever encountered. Your overblown sense of self importance combined with your adhominem spewing "elite guard" attitude towards the web like a fat leech sucking on the attention of those around you to inflate your size is revolting. I've never been as rude to anyone as I've been to you, and it's largely because of just how much of "the ****" you think you are, off the basis of what exactly? Because you wrote a guide on player mentalities in spite of the fact that you fail to compete, advance the meta game, propel the advancement of the community or raise the base level of play? You're a theorycrafter, and that's important. But don't get it twisted--that's all you are.

You pretty much just play PM in your lab, brag delusionally about how great you are, construct theoretical rulesets which, when challenged, are batted away with ad hominems rather than logic, and hide behind the popularity of figures like Strongbad that are actually respected for doing things while you parrot from their shoulders so that you can look down at other players and have them address you as something larger than you really are. You want to compete now? Good, i'm happy for you. But if you took a minute to stop self fellating or groping your established buddies while calling center cam to do a closeup, you'd notice the rest of us get by on positivity and raising up other people rather than constantly tearing down. We are commentators, we host podcasts, we run tournaments, we invite new players, we offer tips (without acting obnoxiously better than them), and we bring people together.

Like I said--being a **** is a very unusual mask for me to wear. But what can I say-- you just bring it out in me. Personally, i've had clashes with essentially two people in the Smash community--you and Hylian. Both of you made the critical error of being self aggrandizing--it's essentially a bright light to my mothman suit and I can't just fly away from it. Unlike Hylian though, you were obnoxious enough to do it in person, and you never backed off.

In my opinion, the Smash community would be better without you. Seeing as I doubt that will happen since bb's first jack off sess started in 01 and never stopped, i'll just aim from here on out to avoid you for the rest of my time here.

Good riddance.
Still not really sure what your problem with me is. You don't like me because...people consider me good at the game? I mean, I don't think I flaunt my skill around at all, I think I'm pretty average at smash, or maybe above average. I know a lot about the game and enjoy competing/discussing it...*shrugs*. I have never thought myself a top player of PM or Melee at any point. I met your friends at sktar and was perfectly fine with them, and then you started **** talking me about losing a friendly game to some link player and berated me for trying to defend myself. I guess it's a hobby to bring down people who are "overrated"? I don't really care what others think of my skill, I just dislike not getting along with community members because I have so many good friends in the community and really dislike the trash talk aspect of the community.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
they don't but you're missing the point. its okay to have a character becomes more rounded so long as you have some axis of counterplay- which rob doesn't. the character is weak to nothing and above average at every metric the game offers. he's good against dashdancing, crouching, has his own excellent crouch game, great punishments, great edge guards, avoid opposing punishments and edge guards, has good weight, good throws, good normals, good specials, good physics, and the list goes on and on. his only questionable point is that his hurtbox is a square, which is solved by playing clean and respecting your opponents' options like every other character has to do. he has no MUs are are unanimously considered disadvantageous by both skilled rob players and the opponents of their respective characters.

so how do you go about fighting this character? you can't reasonably expect to beat rob with projectiles, dashdancing, combos, gimps, crouch abuse, juggles, keeping/holding position, edge guarding... what else is there? for every axis of attack you have on rob, which is usually 1 or 0, rob has 2-3 back and is likely to be advantaged on any method he chooses to use (unless it's a special case like fox having better kill power than you).
Okay I'm on comp I can type good now

I don't see how dash dancing isn't a valid axis of play around ROB. ROB's laser isn't falco's lasers OR sheik's needles, they don't shut down DD that much because they can be shielded on reaction. Wavedashing out of shield after shielding (not powershielding) a regular, uncharged laser yields minimal frame disadvantage. The laser doesn't hit until frame 25 and that's only up-close to ROB. It does infact have travel time, although it travels very fast at about a ROB's width per frame. 25 frames is plenty of time to react with your frame 1 shield option to ROB's laser, he gets nothing off of it, and in fact loses charge he had for a super laser and even loses the weak uncharged laser for 3 seconds.

Gyro is much better as a projectile for shutting down DD, once it's in ROB's hand. The hitbox comes out faster on say, glide toss fthrow, than laser, so close up it's good, but it travels slower so powershield or wavedash catch at a distance still does the job. But I don't expect just that kind of counterplay anyway. The kind of couterplay I mostly expect is people forcing me into a zone where getting gyro in hand is difficult. The animation of pulling gyro up and shooting is not exactly quick, and the only way to catch it quickly without shooting it while grounded and then immediately wavedashing/insta throwing it is with a full hop into z-catch/waveland/instathrow. But all that is a fair bit of commitment, and you can't pretend there isn't an axis of counterplay revolving around preventing ROB from getting gyro in hand. You can steal it from him if he shoots it between the two characters, you can steal stage space or even just smack ROB if he tries to shoot it behind him (which I have done to avoid getting gyro stolen).

But every time I see you talk about ROB's neutral umbreon, it appears that you think as if it's a given that ROB just has gyro out, either in his hand or on the ground in front of him ready to pick up. Or you feel that laser is actually a tool that can shut down DD, which it's not, and anyone who is not just shielding it in neutral is probably getting caught by some other issue ROB is presenting. IE I like to get gyro in hand and then throw at someone if they start shielding, then aim a laser at the very top of their shield to catch them if they try to jump out of just to chip away/potentially poke shield if they keep shielding the whole time. But this scenario requires me already having a gyro in hand.

I'm not pretending ROB isn't an excellent character, but I think the reasons he's good are totally different than your reasons, and I think you tend to exaggerate the gaps in character quality, acting as if characters like Fox/Roy/ROB/Sheik/Lucario do actually have the tools to destroy all other characters when, it feels to me, that they have better matchup spreads but mostly by small degrees.

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
@ Hylian Hylian I'm pretty sure he was talking to Umbreon.

Drama makes me sad too, but it's much healthier to laugh and provide rude home furnishings than to cry, probably.
My name is in the post haha. We hashed it out awhile ago.

MLGF

Smash Lord
He did call out Hylian at the end.
And I dunno, I get how Umbreon's personality could clash with others, but Hylian has always seemed pretty mellow.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
@ The_NZA The_NZA RE dedede: yeah same. i think he's a pretty solid mid-tier because he does well against a lot of melee characters. but thats also part of the reason im starting to come around on ness too.

Ness does get **** on by people who can outspace (like every character i play), so that's a big reason i think he can't be THAT good, butttttt he looks pretty good in matchups against pretty good characters.
I'll go ahead and post here why Ness is low tier since I sometimes talk about it but the majority of my conversations on the topic are held in private conversations.

Ness is IMO the 3rd or 4th worst character in the game for a few reasons. Let's start with an observation.

Every character in Smash has to beat shields, because Shielding is one of the strongest techniques in the game. Every character has one of 4 ways to do this.

1. Range/disjoints that can safely pressure a shield
2. Speed to move in and out of danger zones, force bad reactions, and then go in for grabs
3. Grab range, in which case their "threat zone" and "grab zone" can ambiguously overlap once again making the grab a valid mixup
4. Projectiles, allowing them to forego having good speed/grab range/disjoints so that they can close the distance and force a shield in a situation that leads to a grab (think Mario/Ivy)

Every character has SOME combination of these and is able to win neutral off of it. Ness has none of these.

1. None of Ness's aerials can be safely spaced on shield without full crossups (which means he HAS to close in very close to be safe on shield). Even Ness perfectly spacing bair on the front of Marth's shield will lose to a frame perfect shield grab.

2. Ness is above average in speed but not ACTUALLY fast like ZSS, Marth, Luigi, Falcon, Fox, Sonic, Pikachu, Squirtle, or any actual fast characters, so his speed doesn't really stack up

3. according to the stats sheet, Ness has the 3rd (?) worst grab range in the game. Only characters with worse grab range are Pikachu and Sonic, who are both fast.

4. Ness's projectile is garbage for the purpose of beating shields. THIS IS WITH 1 EXCEPTION--those players who master a 1 frame technique that results in a 4 frame landing lag horizontal pkfire could overcome this giving Ness a reasonable neutral game. It is possible for this to be accomplished but I don't think requiring this is really good design...

Consider these 4 things individually and then add them together. As someone playing against Ness, what do you really need to worry about when you are 3 characters away? DJC fair/bair? Just have your WD OOS game or shield grab game down and you should be fine.

"But wait, uncle NZA. There's no way that's true--I've seen Ness's zip zap around with their DJC aerials. I KNOW Ness can move fast so why are you trying to convince me otherwise".

Well, my boy, consider how scary that DJC aerial style is. And then remember that Ness can't DJC WITHOUT committing to an aerial. Yes my son, he must commit to a close range aerial that is frame disadvantaged on shield that cannot even be timed to have maximum frame advantage because he has to start the no-windup aerials at the start of the second jump that gives him his momentum, meaning he hits your shield with most of his aerials unoptimally. Meaning if you stay in DJC fair/bair range against him, he can't even reliably approach you with DJC aerials without you threatening--shield + OOS responses. There's no jumping with ness and not committing to an aerial into a tomahawk grab unless your willing to float down with the 27th worst fall speed in the game. So he can't even reliably tomahawk from max DJC range.

Basically, if you are three character lengths away from Ness, he has no options against you except for guessing with pkfire, djc aerials, or dash attacks which all lose to shield. If he can get close enough to mag dash, mag + aerial, and actually open up grab options, he actually has okay options. except most players can tell when Ness is trying to get this close and can usually wall him out at that point OR just shield mag + out of magnet option and still be in frame advantage versus the Ness player.

Ness's redeeming aspect to his play has to do with his punish game once he gets a hit, which largely will come from grab followups, dtilts, and platform reads. And these followups are VERY potent--until people adapt. And don't get me wrong--people aren't adapting yet, especially on the national level. Not that that's surprising. Most PM players aren't that adaptive yet by nature, and many haven't developed tons of character v character, style v style, or character v style experience so its to be expected.

But Much of Ness's damage comes from a combination of Fair chains, dair followups, dtilt to dair followups, and jab resets. Very few combos Ness has against non-fastfallers exist without a combination of the tools listed above. ALL of the tools above can be counterplayed REACTIVELY and can either stop the combo outright or force a really hard guessing game on a character that essentially NEEDS 40-50% everytime he wins neutral.

Fair can be SDI'd into Ness + a fast 3 or 4 frame aerial means you will hit him before he gets a followup. The dair followups can be teched to get out of them (unless a platform is involved). Dtilt to dair is also techable, forcing a hard mixup for a character like Ness to do (the child is slow and has to do some guessing). And Jab resets can be buffer rolled/get up attacked, making them unreliable. If Ness can't get 40-50% on every neutral engagement he wins, he's probably losing.

Finally, the biggest issue with Ness in this patch is that he just doesn't have reliable ways to kill a lot of the cast at high percents, forcing him into a essentially horrible matchup spread. Ness's dthrow to uair no longer works at kill percents of any kind v. floaties like GnW, Peach, samus, kirby, squirtle, Ivy, Zelda, Luigi, Sonic, Mario, Mewtwo(?), etc. Ness's dtilt to uair doesn't work against those characters. Fair to uair doesn't work. He's forced to essentially get a raw dair in neutral (extremely hard), a raw bair in neutral (good luck), or knick at the opponent till he is at 140+% when he can finally usmash OOS. It is not uncommon to see Ness struggle to kill floaties at every stock in a set, and when a character with a terrible neutral who relies on combos can neither combo his opponent reliably NOR setup kills on them, he's in pretty bad shape.

None of this gets into recoveries, which we already know Ness has an abysmal one. People are only starting to learn to exploit it with edgeguarding, and most characters can guarantee edgeguards on Ness on most stages at all percents, with some characters having some pretty hard counters in certain positions (DDD jet hammer, ike fsmash, Link upb, Marth Fsmash). Due to the way projectiles clank with pk thunder (against which the counterplay is practically non existent), Ness players can expect to lose random stocks much like an olimar to people clanking with his thunder on their way to winning a national, which means sacrificing stocks at a variety of percents for free.

So yeah, I don't doubt that Ness might have some even or close to even matchups with some fast fallers and semi fast fallers. But as far as I'm concerned, he sucks v. all the floaties, he's bad against swordies, he's bad v. people who can keep him out (sheik, Link), he's bad v. characters who have really good defensive camping abilities and good grab range (DK, Charizard, DDD). That doesn't mean Ness can't do work while you all haven't downloaded the right ways to play against Ness players of a variety of styles. But it in no way makes him good.

This has already been proven too, imo, with how well even good ness's have done when faced with people who actually have Ness experience. Sol/Sora/Apollo Ali rocked Boiko's Ness and Poob messed up Stereokidd. Ness will keep doing well in brackets where he faces mostly semi fastfallers/fastfallers and people who have little Ness experience or play the matchup wrong. But deep inside, the metagame will reveal itself and his magnet will probably be nerfed in 3.6 without compensation, like his pkfire/grab followups/magnet before.

Changes I would test with Ness for him to actually be good?

1. Decrease startup of Magnet from frame 8 JCable on frame 11 to frame 5 JCable on frame 8
2. Increase damage (which in turn buffs hitstun) from 4% to 6%. The concept being that he will be able to mag dash into actual kill followups on floaties AND comboing with magnet will be more reliable and incentivized (whereas right now its mostly there for flashiness while it gives your opponent more opportunities to DI mixup you)
3. Increase damage of Ness's bair from 15% to 16% or 17%, giving it more shield stun and therefore making it safer on shield. You could compensate the knockback to be the same, although it isn't necessary. With this change, Ness could reliably pressure a shield from a distance with well spaced bairs, allowing him to "open up" opponents more and have the chance to "stagger" their neutral and setup the circumstances for himself to get into that close range where he gets his mag dash and dash grab mixups.

Those are my opinions in total about Ness.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I prefer that people call each other out, honesty no matter how brutal is the quickest way to come to understanding, rather than tiptoeing around each other's feelings while trying to make a point
/notspeculatingtierlists

Frost | Odds

Oh, I just read the last couple lines. my b

I understand NZA's frustration (and hover in a similar state with regards to some members of my local community), but suspect it's probably mostly from misunderstandings. Umbreon seems pretty cool and mostly rational, high opinion of himself or no.

Mostly I'm a fan of anyone who's a fan of redesigning bowser :D

EDIT: regardless, @ The_NZA The_NZA 's last post seems pretty well thought out. Ness is probably disproportionately good against Bowser, which probably skews my perception somewhat.

Last edited:

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Still not really sure what your problem with me is. You don't like me because...people consider me good at the game? I mean, I don't think I flaunt my skill around at all, I think I'm pretty average at smash, or maybe above average. I know a lot about the game and enjoy competing/discussing it...*shrugs*. I have never thought myself a top player of PM or Melee at any point. I met your friends at sktar and was perfectly fine with them, and then you started **** talking me about losing a friendly game to some link player and berated me for trying to defend myself. I guess it's a hobby to bring down people who are "overrated"? I don't really care what others think of my skill, I just dislike not getting along with community members because I have so many good friends in the community and really dislike the trash talk aspect of the community.
You and me buried the hatchet. I had an issue with a type of attitude I saw you pass around that you stopped flaunting a while ago. Maybe you disagree and maybe you don't, but I never thought of you as the clear up front best Link player ever at any point of PM's competitive life (not becuase i think you are bad, but because I thought no Link player could claim that). Personally, I don't remember berating you and I definitely wasn't at SKtar.

I also agree. Not getting along with community members suck and trash talking sucks. My issue with people who let the ego get to them and who are self professed to be the best is that THAT is a form of trash talk. And the more it is parroted from those individuals, the more grinding it can be. I'm sure you can sympathize.

As far as I'm concerned, you haven't "upped" yourself in half a year. I have no reason to have an issue with you nor do I. I simply used you as an example as one of the only two people i've beefed with, and I apologize if that may have brought you any negative attention. You weren't intended to be someone I was rude to.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Reasonable enough, thank you.

Frost | Odds

My issue with people who let the ego get to them and who are self professed to be the best is that THAT is a form of trash talk.
Trash talk is fun, in its place. I'm also pretty convinced that I'm the best Bowser, but that's more a function of most bowser players not having yet capitalized on many of his tools, and my having a ton of free time; than any innate talent or intelligence on my part.

King of the anthill, basically. I don't think I'm good, merely that I'm less bad.

Last edited:

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Oh, I just read the last couple lines. my b

I understand NZA's frustration (and hover in a similar state with regards to some members of my local community), but suspect it's probably mostly from misunderstandings. Umbreon seems pretty cool and mostly rational, high opinion of himself or no.

Mostly I'm a fan of anyone who's a fan of redesigning bowser :D

EDIT: regardless, @ The_NZA The_NZA 's last post seems pretty well thought out. Ness is probably disproportionately good against Bowser, which probably skews my perception somewhat.
Ness v. Bowser isn't so bad for Ness because Ness can actually get in close enough to threaten dash grab v. Mag mixups which can be confusing to read if you are bowser. You can bait bowser, and follow up with some aggro that isn't going to lose to some super armor cuteness. Granted, I don't play against many bowsers. Also, Bowser can be pretty easily 0-deathed by Ness, especially since he doens't have great escapes from pressure.

On the other hand, bowser can really edgeguard the **** out of Ness if he needs to.

NW_Gump

Smash Apprentice
This is a change of direction/blatant off topicness but I'm curious to know @ Frost | Odds Frost | Odds 's perspective on bowser in the metagame/tier list after his NWM showing.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Trash talk is fun, in its place. I'm also pretty convinced that I'm the best Bowser, but that's more a function of most bowser players not having yet capitalized on many of his tools, and my having a ton of free time; than any innate talent or intelligence on my part.

King of the anthill, basically. I don't think I'm good, merely that I'm less bad.
Here's the thing--why are you calling yourself the best Bowser? Did you win a national? Have you consistently been top at every weekly of your region and are you THAT guy to watch out for? Are you even a top 16 player yet alone a top 45 player or however many characters are in this game?

If you are the best, other people will talk about you FOR you, and if they aren't doing that then who really gives a **** how good you are in the first place? When you start winning, they will notice. It's as simple as that.

With that said, if some punk bowser comes out and says "I'm the BEST guys! Seriously!" then you go ahead and tell them they're a nobody and you've got a far better argument for the #1. But this whole building a mural out of your own blood and begging people to pray to it is so ****ing played out.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
Of course, and I do think in time QD in neutral, and by extension QD Attack, will eventually be snuffed out by people within a year but I think it'd be healthy for his playerbase to lose QD attack right now due to not fitting the rest of QD's design.

Honestly, I don't think Ike needs any nerfs outside of that. I see the complaint about Dair, but generally it's only a thing off of poor DI.
I consider myself a pretty strong ike player, and I dont really think that poor DI off a throw as fast as fthrow should be a stock. If it was a strong meteor, ike would still be forcing the opponent into an edgeguard situation where I'd kill them anyway. I mean, Ike has such strong edgeguards to begin with.
I can see what you mean though, I personally think ike is kind of perfect the way he is.

DethM

Smash Apprentice
Here's the thing--why are you calling yourself the best Bowser? Did you win a national? Have you consistently been top at every weekly of your region and are you THAT guy to watch out for? Are you even a top 16 player yet alone a top 45 player or however many characters are in this game?

If you are the best, other people will talk about you FOR you, and if they aren't doing that then who really gives a **** how good you are in the first place? When you start winning, they will notice. It's as simple as that.

With that said, if some punk bowser comes out and says "I'm the BEST guys! Seriously!" then you go ahead and tell them they're a nobody and you've got a far better argument for the #1. But this whole building a mural out of your own blood and begging people to pray to it is so ****ing played out.
Are all these straw men supposed to be here?

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman
My thoughts:

-I agree with all of NZA's points on Ness generally, but it's still kind of mysterious to me why Ness still does so well. Easy brackets? Matchup inexperience? LOTS of people playing him? These should all play a factor, but THAT much of a factor? IDK tbh
--Would pay to see DarkBlues vs Odds tbh
-Didn't body Boiko's Ness tbh. Won a very close game 1 with him and then he switched to Samus and won
-Don't understand why anyone listens to Umbreon tbh
-Can't wait to get this tattoo on my forehead tbh

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

This is a change of direction/blatant off topicness but I'm curious to know @ Frost | Odds Frost | Odds 's perspective on bowser in the metagame/tier list after his NWM showing.
I'm inclined to think he's a bit better overall than I did before the tournament, though his MU spread may be even more polarized than I previously thought. ICs seem truly unbeatable (sorry @ Hylian Hylian I should've believed you 6 months ago), Wario is deeply awful, and the spacies seem to have a much bigger edge than I thought. I think I'd put Bowser around 6th-10th worst now, rather than bottom 5.

Here's the thing--why are you calling yourself the best Bowser?
A couple reasons.

1. I'd like to be PMDT and help effect positive balance changes for the game. I've got a ton of top-level competitive gaming experience in several genres, including balance testing, and am pretty confident that my experience would be valuable to the project. If I'm visible as a public, helpful, knowledgable figure, worst case a bunch of people get better at playing as, and against Bowser, and best case it helps me accomplish my goals. Everyone wins in either case.

2. Trash talk is fun.

3. Darkblues is that completely fraudulent punk Bowser. For real, guys, why does anybody think he's good? :D

EDIT: and yeah I've crushed every event I've attended in Alberta and Saskatchewan for months now.

EDITEDIT: forreal @ DrinkingFood DrinkingFood do you still want to team at LTC3 or am I going to have to struggle to find a doubleswaifu

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero

I'm pretty sure he actually has been the top name at his locals for awhile now, or at least one of the top names.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I have arrived peasants.

I have the best :bowser2:. It's ok to be jealous of greatness. When you're everyone's idol like me, losing or winning doesn't even matter.

:018:

Last edited:

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
Darkblues is that completely fraudulent punk Bowser.
I got to play darkblues in a MM a little while ago, and he's a lot better than people give him credit for. Although his play doesnt look insanely impressive or technical, he tends to make a lot of smart decisions in neutral with some of bowsers armor to close a lot of gaps. He has really solid fundamentals and is really able to implement bowsers quirks into his play. He refused to fight any character but my sheik though, so it didnt end well for him.
Tri-states a competitive region, and a lot of good players live around NYC-long island, so he doesnt have phenomenal placings, but he's still a couple of steps ahead of the other bowsers imo.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Pidgeot's here, must be Seagull!

@ The_NZA The_NZA , what say you to also making it so fulljump PK Fire doesn't cause Ness to go into cooldown?

Because it's hella predictable as it is anyway, and the 3.5 nerfs make landing PK Fire in the first place not that big of a reward.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
As a side note: My PM :bowser2: has taken Frozen to game 5 in a Bo5, beaten Boss, Plank, Jewchainz, and SearingArrow. When will I be crowned king of the koopas?

:018:

Top Bottom