• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
@ Ripple Ripple im the only that convinced zach to put zelda in tier 1. zelda is a very obvious and linear character in teams- she has a good combo weight, good recovery, decent assist options, 2 knees, aa great dsmash and a super safe fsmash. shes good against crouch, good at holding position in her nearby vicinity, and her moves are extremely non-situational and versatile. in melee you could ignore her and 2 v 1 her teammate, but even good players rarely actually play this strategy out correctly, and in PM it doesnt work anyway because of teleporting. she really doesnt need anything past her phsyics and 4 obnoxious moves to be top tier at teams. she's also just really obnoxious to play against and encourages misplays in a way im sure you are intimately familiar with.
She also suffers the highly notable weakness of not being Fox.

I could see her being good in dubs. Maybe time to watch some Oracle games. :D

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
idk, I don't think she encourages misplays to the degree that she would warrant such a high position. even if those misplays lead into weaker Knees.

plus if things become 1 on 1s she's a low tier again

Sardonyx

星黄泉
idk, I don't think she encourages misplays to the degree that she would warrant such a high position. even if those misplays lead into weaker Knees.

Quite a few people overestimate her abilities as a character, but I do think she belongs in the upper half of that Tier 2 thing on the list.

When it comes to 1v1s, yeah I'd say she's in the middle of the lower half of the cast now, whereas she was about middle of the cast in 3.02. This is all just imo though, anyone can feel free to discuss how they feel about what I said about her(as long as it is in a cordial way).

Sardonyx

星黄泉
Perhaps a video will sway me. Link?
It'll be hard to find one since I'm bad with names, but I'll look to see if there is one.

I'm just putting her up there because she has some good options when it comes to getting the opponent to get off the team mate (LC Maury's, sometimes dins) she has a few moves your partner can score a kill off of (dthrow, fthrow, dtilt, ftilt/us mash at some percents), she has a good combo weight and good recovery too, she has some easy to land kill moves off of the other character with her kicks and sometimes utile, but that's all during doubles. I stick by my point with the 1v1s.

Edit: So yeah this means take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

i think you're correct, but "low tier" is much less debilitating in this game and ultimately you still have to respect what zelda is doing to take her down even if you play it out correctly. besides, while 1 v 1 is a somewhat common finish to teams, the vast majority of matches never get to that point so 85%+ of the time you get the previously mentioned benefits without your noted drawback. good point though. a lot of the best characters in teams also have severe issues with 2 vs 1 (ivysaur might even have it worse).

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
It didn't really have the talent pool to be referred to as such and almost no good player would argue otherwise. I doubt Odds would disagree with me and he politically has the most to gain from it being categorized such, it being his break-out tournament and all. It'd be funny to make fun of people who don't consider it a major if it weren't the prevailing opinion among good players.
:bowser2: can do well given a certain stagelist and avoiding certain matchups. If Odds said who he beat and what characters he fought at PNW then it would be more reasonable how he placed so high using solo :bowser2:. Not gonna discredit his accomplishment or anything, but having lucky brackets does help one. :fox: and :falco: both are ones :bowser2: would want to play against. :wolf: obliterates :bowser2: with Dair. :bowser2:'s worst matchup is :wario:. It's actually unwinnable because of bite. Coney showed me the light.

:018:

Last edited:

The_NZA

Smash Lord
4 frame nair, 5 frame dair?
brain farted. Meant to say "low range" aerials. Not "slow aerials". Low range aerials + slow double jump means he's not going to escape juggles because he's not going to outspace his opponent going for a followup hit.

D

Deleted member

lunchables doesn't understand doubles if he thinks ganon is bad in them. and zelda still sucks in doubles, tier 3 at best
tfw Dakpo and I are actually the best Doubles team in Project M
(Didn't I beat you at Aftershock in doubles?)

idk about ganon in doubles but zelda is REALLY good. Her slow mobility isn't a relevant problem in doubles, Umbreon covered most of her points lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
just because you won aftershock, doesn't mean you are the best doubles team in PM that exists. thats a huge stretch. we need more regional/nationals than 1.

and yeah, so what if you beat me, I teamed with someone who didn't even make it out of pools. and we still did well against you 2.

I'd best serious $$$ that me and oro?! would beat you

D

Deleted member

There are very, very few teams around Dakpo and I in 3.5. Get Oro to come down for LTC3 and we'll have a delicious teams MM

howbadisbad

Smash Apprentice
I prefer that people call each other out, honesty no matter how brutal is the quickest way to come to understanding, rather than tiptoeing around each other's feelings while trying to make a point
/notspeculatingtierlists
Lunchables: We are the BEST at doubles

Ripple: Haha, no way dude, I'm the BEST

Seagull Joe: :018:

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
Someone help me with the falcon match-up ;_;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVUfTkwt4xQ

This guy has been my bane. I could have gone lucario and done better but I really want to learn it with IC's. I know I need to turn around after dthrow dairs to get the regrabs on those, and I missed a kill off a grab once, but man falcons mobility and approaches are hard for IC's to deal with x.x.
Don't take Falcon to Battle Field. It gives him enough room to move around while also giving him a top platform, and it's probably his best stage in this MU. I don't know what the stage list was, but Yoshi's Story, Smashville, and PS2 would have all been better picks. Stage picks aside, I don't know much else you can do against Falcon other than trying to figure out the player, because you have to outplay Falcon a lot to win as ICs.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Ness!
My recovery is garbage, but yours...oh god.
Poob, I want your honest opinion. I think your a god with recovering with DK, and I think I have the most developed recovery out of Ness players. Do you think DK's recovery is worse than Ness's because i'm not sure anymore. You seem to make it back on stage WAY more than I do, lol. I can't even tell anymore.

Boiko

:drshrug:
Poob, I want your honest opinion. I think your a god with recovering with DK, and I think I have the most developed recovery out of Ness players. Do you think DK's recovery is worse than Ness's because i'm not sure anymore. You seem to make it back on stage WAY more than I do, lol. I can't even tell anymore.
Use down smash to edge guard. It's ridiculously broken in like 90 percent of match ups.

Also, judging by your recovery against Ripple, IDKKKK I think there's some room for improvement.

POOB

Smash Journeyman
@ The_NZA The_NZA My HONEST opinion is that ness has a better recovery than DK, but I'm better at recovering than you :/

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
When I saw that you posted, I was like, oh cool, Aki will defend the Ness hate, and now I'M LITERALLY SOBBING AT WORK. There are ways to deal with CC, ya know? It's not an extremely harder counter to Ness' game. It sucks, and it's hard to deal with, but it's not impossible. There are also ways to recover from below the ledge, albeit tricky. It's very contingent upon mixing up your recovery. I wish You guys could watch me grind with GP (This really solid Fox: [melee, I know, but it holds up] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPUrhQqhnmI.), for a few hours. I think it would change your minds about Ness' tier list placement.

@ The_NZA The_NZA

Ness can safely pressure a shield with spaced bairs and magnet>nairs>dtilts. Also, pivot PK fires are godlike against shields, since they poke so frequently, but almost nobody uses them besides me and stereo. Yes, he has a bad grab range, but he has no problem getting in.

Why are you spacing bair on the front of Marth's shield to begin with? It only loses to shield grab if you run away like you do to the rest of the cast. Try mixing up your options out of said bair to bait and punish the grab instead. Alternatively, if you're going to attack the front of Marth's shield, a full hop bair hitting at the head of his shield is a significantly better option, as you can DJC into different follow ups if he tries to fair you OoS (he will).

These are just facts, not much to say about them. Slow characters can be successful though. Especially those with a form of burst movement.

This isn't even true because lagless PK Fire takes just as much time as a pivot pk fire but with less cool down. You're goal after hitting a grounded PK Fire, which frequently pokes, shouldn't be to run up and grab. That's amateur 3.02 Ness habits. We already know Ness is too slow to get over there. Instead, your goal should be to read and punish the option they take to get out of the fire. If you can't get over in time because say, they rolled away, you now have corner pressure and a positional advantage.

You're just making everything sound so amateur and that's not the way it is. If it were that easy, top players would be adapting and Ness players would have zero results in tournaments. Stereo was DQ'd R1 of a Florida tournament just yesterday for being late and he came through loser's bracket and beat Ghatzu in GF 3-2 and 3-0. You're telling me that in 8 games one of the best Falcon players around, who beat M2K, failed to adapt completely? No.

You need to learn to short hop and late DJC nair next to the ground. You also need to learn to waveland out of your DJ since it goes stupid far and can bait a reaction. It just sounds like your play is super linear. "Space fair and bair until something connects" is never going to work. Read your opponents option, use grounded PK fires to punish their landing, bait an OoS option. Ness is a bait and punish character, not an aggressor. If you play hyper aggressive with Ness against any character other than IC's, you'll probably lose, and hyper aggressive seems to be your style. Stereo literally will not approach unless he has a read or hits with PKF. Literally NEVER. And what does he have? Results.

I played and beat Cactuar, one of the smartest players of all time. All throughout the set, he was adapting like crazy. He was one of the only Fox players besides GP that would SDI fair so it was impossible to follow up on. So I just kept mixing up my options, baited nair approaches and punished with WD back grabs or CC dtilt. Adapting is a two way street.

I'll agree that Ness suffers from Marth syndrome. He can't really kill at higher percentages. But you're failing to mention nair, which is arguably his best kill move. Ness is more about edge guarding. Every character you listed can be edge guarded besides Mewtwo and Kirby.

SoL game three last stock while I was running the tournament, under extreme stress, and had people calling my name in the background.
Sora last stock in Ness' worst MU besides maybe Samus.
Apollo last stock, last hit in a match up I wasn't super familiar with whereas he has tons of experience playing with you. But yeah, I got rocked. Would love to play any of them again, now that I'm actually good. But you're only talking about losses here, and you're neglecting to mention wins, which are equally as important. Plup, Foxy Grandpa, Aklo, Fuzzyness, Ghatzu, Cactuar, TCOne, Seagull Joe, DarkBlues, Malachi, DVD, Face, Hero of Time, GuruKid, Animal, Codi, Sora, BubbaKing, Ben Grimm, Hax, Zubat, VaNz...plenty of which have Ness experience. That's just a mix of mine and Stereo's wins.

Agree with pretty much all of this. I also think he should have a better angle on backthrow. I grabbed Cactuar at 140% under the left platform of PS2 with my back to the ledge. Back throw did not kill. It took 160% and for him to be on the platform for it to kill him OFF OF THE TOP.

And most importantly, I don't think most of your points are farfetched. You're right. He has a weakness to CC, his shield pressure isn't the greatest, and his recovery is pretty abysmal and requires stupid amounts of mix ups. But I don't think Ness is a bad character by any means. Certainly not third or fourth from the bottom.
I'm not convinced that Ness is good from the previous discussion. Yes he can bait and wait as none of his aerials are safe on shield (even if you space them well). But so can other characters and they DO have safe options on shield. So I'm sorry but that's not an argument. Other characters have the option to play defensive AND offensive.

Ness is a very strong character...unless your opponent realizes he has no approach and just gets zoned out. You don't have footage of the match, but I bet anything the Fox player rushed in as every Fox player at some point is prone to do and got destroyed for it.

Last edited:

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
I think something this forum needs is less talk about nerfs, and more about buffs to characters that need it. Just a random thought.
The PMDT's philosophy seems to be to nerf, not to buff. So it makes sense everyone is talking about nerfs.

Boiko

:drshrug:
I'm not convinced that Ness is good from the previous discussion. Yes he can bait and wait as none of his aerials are safe on shield (even if you space them well). But so can other characters and they DO have safe options on shield. So I'm sorry but that's not an argument. Other characters have the option to play defensive AND offensive.
Yes it is an argument. You're line of thinking is far too linear. It's great if a character has safe shield options and can bait and punish, but how far can they take a read? To what degree can they bait and punish? What kind of conversions can they got off of their safe shield pressure? Do you see where I'm going with this? I don't need to break these things out for NZA, because I know he knows Ness' punish ability, but in case you don't know, Ness has some of the hardest punishes in the game If you make a mistake in your approach toward him you can eat anything from 30% to 80% to death. I played yesterday against GP, who plays Fox and IC's, numerous times I would have >100% strings off of one read.

My point here is don't be so linear in you're thinking. Any character can do anything, really, but there are varying degrees of risk/reward for each individual match up.

Ness is a very strong character...unless your opponent realizes he has no approach and just gets zoned out. You don't have footage of the match, but I bet anything the Fox player rushed in as every Fox player at some point is prone to do and got destroyed for it.
If you know Cactuar, you know he's not a rush down Fox player. He's patient, methodical, and intelligent. I do play against a very rush down heavy Fox in Animal though.

Sardonyx

星黄泉
The PMDT's philosophy seems to be to nerf, not to buff. So it makes sense everyone is talking about nerfs.
I didn't read through every characters' changelog in 3.5, so I don't know if this is true, but I still think it would be nice to have a more positive atmosphere when it comes to character changes, and buffs are usually good

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Throws are weird, aren't they 100% fall speed dependent unless its a weight-affected animation?
joe, what. How on earth do you not understand how gravity/knockback/throws works by now
throws always ignore weight for KB calculations
most of the time, weight affects the duration of the throw animation
sometimes it doesn't
fall speed/gravity never directly affects knockback, it affects how far you fall while being knocked back, and if you're sent upwards, the distance you fall counteracts your upward launch, giving a low trajectory

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
K Bowser's busted, Sethlon lost to American Bowser

ODDS ARE U WATCHING?

Idostuff

Smash Apprentice
i started playing only after 3.0 had come out, so this 3.0-3.5 is the only change log i have experienced. Yes, it contained almost entirely nerfs, but that was in the spirit of reducing the "jank" from the game. As the PMDT has said many times, 3.5 was a design patch more than a balance patch. We don't know yet if 3.6 has many changes to characters, although it has been so long it really should. I think we are going to see more buffs than nerfs this patch. As to why we only talk about nerfs? I think its just because we mostly talk about top tiers

Things that should buffed:
-Oli gets a new Up B!
-Fix general Pikman bugs, causing them to fall to their death, fly into the stratosphere randomly, and other things
-Fix IC turn around glitch, they had this code like 5 months ago, should of had its own update, 3.51
-Link needs some love. I had a much more detailed post about this a while back.
-Pit needs some love. Most agree he was over nerfed, will probably get something back.
-plenty of others i can't even think of

Last edited:

Dakpo

Smash Lord
just because you won aftershock, doesn't mean you are the best doubles team in PM that exists. thats a huge stretch. we need more regional/nationals than 1.

and yeah, so what if you beat me, I teamed with someone who didn't even make it out of pools. and we still did well against you 2.

I'd best serious $$$ that me and oro?! would beat you
I would bet more money than you have

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
New Project M scandal: Ripple bribes Lunchables to lose the teams MM, in exchange for a year of Pizza

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Is this pizza everyday orrrrr
You don't know enough about Lunchables then if you have to ask a question like that

Might as well rename your tag to Serf Scum

Last edited:

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
I think sheik is the best character in doubles. She has better matchups and few counters in the relevant meta, whereas in melee jiggs was a more prominent threat in teams. Since her grabs are faster theyre more practical in doubles situations.
Fox still might be better than her in doubles, but I think sheik definitely is top 2 at least.

JOE!

Smash Hero
joe, what. How on earth do you not understand how gravity/knockback/throws works by now
throws always ignore weight for KB calculations
most of the time, weight affects the duration of the throw animation
sometimes it doesn't
fall speed/gravity never directly affects knockback, it affects how far you fall while being knocked back, and if you're sent upwards, the distance you fall counteracts your upward launch, giving a low trajectory
Oh I know fall speed never actually effects the KB directly, I was just fuzzy at work with how weight worked with throws since its like sometimes the animations matter / dunno if theres any weight dependant throws ever / etc.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Doubles list

:fox: :falco: :metaknight: :jigglypuff: :wario: :lucario: :sheik: :ivysaur:

High

:samus2: :zerosuitsamus: :gw: :pikachu2: :sonic: :falcon: :ike: :wolf: :mewtwopm: :rob: :dedede: :peach:

Mid

:luigi2: :zelda: :kirby2: :squirtle: :lucas: :ganondorf:

Low

:toonlink: :snake: :diddy: :yoshi2: :charizard:

Bottom

:roypm: :marth: :popo: :dk2: :link2:

IDK about these guys tier

:olimar: :pit: :bowser2: :mario2: :ness2:

I think g&w is top with Fox, Kirby top with Ivysaur and Snake is either high or top tier with MK.

I shoved a ton of chars into High tier because PM has a lot of really good doubles characters.

edit: Characters are in no specific order in their respective tiers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom