• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
People keep saying Fox isn't #1 and acting like they know something that everyone else doesn't yet they never list who they would put ahead of him. It's really irritating.

For example on my last tier list I had Falco at #2 and a few people disagreed with that, which I completely understand (and somewhat agree with myself).
I looked at where the metagame stands at this point and time and thought to myself: "Okay. Who could reasonably be the SECOND BEST character out of 41 characters aside from Falco? I tossed around a few ideas but ultimately could not firmly say "Yes, X character deserves the #2 spot, not Falco," so I just put Falco there.

EDIT: LOL and Plum just ninja'd what I was trying to say. Good stuff Plum.
I think Mewtwo, Pit, and Samus are all solidly better than Fox.
I have 4-6 more that I think are a little better than Fox, but they aren't as solidly as those three.
Now, if you want me to explain why, I'm just going to say I don't think Fox is as good as them.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
And who, pray tell, is surpassing him?
To take it further, in your own post you even say that characters have the potential to be better than Fox. But are they better than Fox right now? I don't care if Lucas/Mewtwo/whoever is theoretical God, if they aren't proving it NOW it doesn't matter because a tier list reflects the current state of the game.
Actually you could kind of make the argument that Fox's tournament results don't support him being #1 right now. I don't think he's been the winningest character so far, but PM is so new that tournament results alone aren't enough. There's no question that part of why Fox is #1 is theory fighter and his performance in Melee.

People keep saying Fox isn't #1 and acting like they know something that everyone else doesn't yet they never list who they would put ahead of him. It's really irritating.

For example on my last tier list I had Falco at #2 and a few people disagreed with that, which I completely understand (and somewhat agree with myself).
I looked at where the metagame stands at this point and time and thought to myself: "Okay. Who could reasonably be the SECOND BEST character out of 41 characters aside from Falco? I tossed around a few ideas but ultimately could not firmly say "Yes, X character deserves the #2 spot, not Falco," so I just put Falco there.
Honestly I think there's quite a few good characters you can argue are above Falco. Falco isn't nearly as complete as Fox as a character, he's very strong (and better than Fox) in some ways but he's not nearly as versatile overall, and with such a large cast of viable characters versatility is pretty important.

I think Mewtwo, Pit, and Samus are all solidly better than Fox.
I have 4-6 more that I think are a little better than Fox, but they aren't as solidly as those three.
Now, if you want me to explain why, I'm just going to say I don't think Fox is as good as them.
I'd be very interested to hear the argument for Samus. She can clearly put up a pretty good wall of projectiles if she's got a platform to work with, and some characters have a lot of trouble with that, but characters with reliable reflectors or very good mobility can easily get around it and it doesn't work on some stage layouts.

I'm not sold on Pit either, he seems very good, I just don't think he's quite that good. M2 I could maybe see, because M2 has a great combination of range and speed that can be really dominating, plus extremely strong recovery. I definitely think M2 is top 5.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Taking into account the effectiveness of the character's overall toolset (which, if you notice, most high tier characters are good in many areas rather than one), there aren't many characters Samus outright loses to, and when people give arguments against it, it's always some of the lamest johns you ever hear:

Samus is mid-tier at best. People just play the match-up like a dingus and make her look way more borked than she actually is. Seriously, I was way less impressed by ESAM's play than I was dumbfounded at how poorly everyone at Xanadu played the match-up.

In short: git gud.
"They don't know the matchup."
"I wasn't that impressed by what I saw."

As if a character needs to be super-impressive or have a tech skill ceiling up the ass to actually be considered superb.

Last edited:

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I find it hard to believe there are characters who have a better moveset than Fox, who happens to have a 1 frame move that has fixed knockback and destroys nearly every recovery in the game. Nobody can apply pressure as safely as Fox can, and until there is someone who can put the opponent at an incredibly disadvantageous position with as little commitment as Fox, he will stay at number one. Dash dancing, nair->shine, drill shine, uthrow uair, waveshining, etc. Fox can mix and match any of these options to successfully tackle any character in the roster. There are no other characters that can win against the entire cast simply because that would be bad design. Until the PMBR decides to diversify a character to that extent, nobody will be better than Fox.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I'd be very interested to hear the argument for Samus. She can clearly put up a pretty good wall of projectiles if she's got a platform to work with, and some characters have a lot of trouble with that, but characters with reliable reflectors or very good mobility can easily get around it and it doesn't work on some stage layouts.

I'm not sold on Pit either, he seems very good, I just don't think he's quite that good. M2 I could maybe see, because M2 has a great combination of range and speed that can be really dominating, plus extremely strong recovery. I definitely think M2 is top 5.
Well, I play with ESAM a lot, so I think Samus is VERY good. I think she loses to M2 and maybe Falco, but goes even with/beats everybody else.

I find it hard to believe there are characters who have a better moveset than Fox, who happens to have a 1 frame move that has fixed knockback and destroys nearly every recovery in the game. Nobody can apply pressure as safely as Fox can, and until there is someone who can put the opponent at an incredibly disadvantageous position with as little commitment as Fox, he will stay at number one. Dash dancing, nair->shine, drill shine, uthrow uair, waveshining, etc. Fox can mix and match any of these options to successfully tackle any character in the roster. There are no other characters that can win against the entire cast simply because that would be bad design. Until the PMBR decides to diversify a character to that extent, nobody will be better than Fox.
Dash-dancing is a MUCH weaker mechanic in a game with better projectiles. Who cares when he's going to go in when we control all this space in front of us?
I also don't think he beats the entire cast. M2, at the very least, clearly beats Fox... Hell, I actually think Bowser beats Fox with the current stage lists.
C'mon now, the best character in the game can't lose to Bowser.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Well, I play with ESAM a lot, so I think Samus is VERY good. I think she loses to M2 and maybe Falco, but goes even with/beats everybody else.
I'd definitely also be worried about Fox and Pit, and maybe Lucas and Sonic too, but we'll see how ESAM continues to perform against them.

I also don't think he beats the entire cast. M2, at the very least, clearly beats Fox... Hell, I actually think Bowser beats Fox with the current stage lists.
Fox might not win every matchup, but I don't think he has any that are worse than 45-55. If you look at Fox vs Mewtwo or Fox vs Pit, for example (which I think most people agree are his worst matchups), they're clearly still winnable for Fox, he's just maybe at a tiny bit of a disadvantage. He just has such explosive speed and power than he has the tools to win any match, his only issue is some characters can abuse his falling speed to have even more powerful offense against him.

Last edited:

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Taking into account the effectiveness of the character's overall toolset (which, if you notice, most high tier characters are good in many areas rather than one), there aren't many characters Samus outright loses to, and when people give arguments against it, it's always some of the lamest johns you ever hear:

"They don't know the matchup."
"I wasn't that impressed by what I saw."

As if a character needs to be super-impressive or have a tech skill ceiling up the *** to actually be considered superb.
Samus is superb, as is everyone mid-tier and above in PM. ESAM is clearly good, but it was clear that no one at Xanadu (ignoring M2K) knew what they were doing. For christ's sake, he chain grabbed everyone there with a character who doesn't even have a chain grab. All they had to do was DI away, but ESAM got away with it anyway.

In short: ESAM is good. Samus is good. Regardless, taking that tournament in Xanadu as proof that Samus is high tier would be a mistake due to all the jank that Xanadu fell for for no good reason.

Also, to be fair, Samus does have a tech skill ceiling up the ass.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Dash-dancing is a MUCH weaker mechanic in a game with better projectiles. Who cares when he's going to go in when we control all this space in front of us?
I'd say M2K clearly beats fox, not Mewtwo. Taj got beat by DEHF's Fox at Apex, and he's most likely the second best Mewtwo player. Bowser gets wrecked as long as Fox plays ultra lame and camps him out.
About projectiles: there are tons of great projectiles out there, but none of them are really better than Falco's lasers, and Fox doesn't really have too hard of a time against those. Dash dancing is still an excellent mechanic imo, and it's probably the reason lots of good Melee players transition so well to PM.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I wonder who is giving Marth his results in PM, since he's right under Fox when it comes to Top 16 + Top 8 results, and he's in the top 8 characters for tourney wins too. (All based on the Smashboards rankings, mind you)

Fox is so far ahead in results, only Mario and Wolf come close

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
Ya, I have looked at and logged about 120 tournaments since 3.0 (from more places then just smashboards rankings) and the top 5 right now goes Fox, Marth, Metaknight, Mario, Link. This includes pretty much all big tournaments, weeklies, monthlies, and random tournaments.

D

Deleted member

Personally I think that Sheik, MK, Pit, Mario, and Diddy are all solid contenders with Falco for 2nd best in the game. My problem is not that the A tier has several contenders, but that the S tier has exactly 1 contender.

Phantasmagorical

Smash Cadet
ESAM is clearly good, but it was clear that no one at Xanadu (ignoring M2K) knew what they were doing. For christ's sake, he chain grabbed everyone there with a character who doesn't even have a chain grab. All they had to do was DI away, but ESAM got away with it anyway.
The chaingrab is real. It still works on most characters on away DI. It's only escapable if you DI in, at which point Samus just does whatever she wants.

1FD

Smash Ace
I remember when 3.0 was first released which was one of my first time browsing the forums there was nausicaa and someone discussing how Samus would have her time in the light just like Mario did because she's really easy to do really well with up to a certain point and several people would bring it to the surface for others to see and people would flock to her.
I guess Link and Diddy had their time too so maybe it's Samus's turn.

I don't get how Fox could be top without question in PM without being like BEYOND GOD TIER above the Melee top tier given he's worse overall both proportionally and generally in pm than Melee HOW DID HE GET SO MUCH BETTER!?!

NickRiddle no way Bowser is a Fox counter you must be nuts but it's not a crapshoot either way so that's fair if that's what you meant
Also if ESAM is what convinced you that Samus is VERY good then you must be bias lol
Because otherwise he could be SO much better SO much faster and I'm more stoked to see where that goes than anything since as of what I've seen and what others have expressed is pretty accurate
What we/I mean is that we/I'm not really interested/influenced/anything about the character from his play but not in a bad way it's just that really nothing he's done is anything everybody doesn't already know and expect as standard play from her. lol
Maybe we'll get that flock naus and others were talking about in early Jan SAMUS GETS HER TURN

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Maybe Fox handles the new meta better than the other good Melee characters?

Maybe better recoveries means vertical KOs (That Fox happens to be extremely good at) are more valued because you don't need to edgeguard to secure them, compared to every other good Melee character that 9 times out of 10 KO'd off the side/bottom?

Maybe a really good dash dance is probably the best thing you could have against a cast with an overall higher base ground speed?

Maybe a character that's great at camping both horizontally and vertically gets a very obvious boost with a stagelist that now has an abundance of large stages compared to Melee's?

Last edited:

Take_the_red_pill

Banned via Warnings
Warning Received
Wtf is this crap in here? This right here is exactly why i hate the pm section of smashboards. Its a community so sparsely populated by legitimate pro players and is filled to the brim with intermediate players thinking that they know stuff about smash and balance even though they started last year or came from brawl.

Probably the dumbest things ive read are that pillars are braindead and that fox is number 1 in pm. Are you guys ****ing ********? How is pillaring more braindead than 99% of the auto combo intuitive free conversians in this game? Most characters in this game have single optimal followups that they should be going for 90% of the time regardless of di, fallspeed, or percentage, as is the case of every vertical juggling tool. Falco on the other hand requires intricate timings of the dair and shine, and he needs to use wavedashes, platforms wavelands, utilts, and consecutive shines to make the most of his combos. All dk has to do is cargo uthrow to uair, and then go for a donkey punch or fair to follow up. Learning when and how to fsmash or dtilt out of a falco pillar is far harder than learning the timing for dks fair. This is what people refer to when they say auto combos, most combos in pm are extremely intuitive in learning what moves link into others and ignore factors like di.

Then theres the totally average pm knuckleheads claiming that fox is still 2 hard 4 me when several characters have been buffed out of proportion and surpass fox, not to mention being far easier to play. How is usmash ******** when marios dmash and usmash hit in 3 frames? Who is the dip**** who thought that was necessary? As it stands, foxs 60% neutral exchange win rate does not compensate for the fact that his punish game is weak, that he cant gimp these new characters with infinite recoveries, and that he gets severely outpunished and gimped himself. Its like people in the little girls club pmbr are actively trying to ignore balance as much as possible and keep luigi craptastic just so they can say "oh well not everyone is ballsacks broken, just look at luigi he sucks so hard he can slurp a frozen meatball from a sour punch straw". And when you talk about how ******** diddy and lucas' free hits on shield are they just say gay **** like o well fox exists pack it up were all a bunch of communists who dobt like different opinions. And the funniest thing is how the biggest advocates of anti spacies claim how you dont need tech skill to play fox and falco and simply fundamentals and lasers and usmash, but when you see them play spacies in melee they get thrashed by even mid level players. If all you need is fundamentals to win as fox then i suppose that you dont need strong fundamentals to win in pm and only character knowledge? Because the fundamentals and tech skill im seeing from these pmers in both melee and pm is severely lacking, probably bottom 30% of worldwide spacies players, especially considering how well known they are despite their skill levels. Also the fact that taratorous agrees with you guys' opinions and not mine actually hurts your arguments, since that guy is like that eyeball from portal 2 who actually has all of the wrong beliefs and does the wrong decisions.

Newfound respect in wizzrobe for not being a drone btw and actually being good unlike weasels like dmg who should spend more time practicing to back uo their inflamed stretched oral orifices

Maybe Fox handles the new meta better than the other good Melee characters?

Maybe better recoveries means vertical KOs (That Fox happens to be extremely good at) are more valued because you don't need to edgeguard to secure them, compared to every other good Melee character that 9 times out of 10 KO'd off the side/bottom?

Maybe a really good dash dance is probably the best thing you could have against a cast with an overall higher base ground speed?

Maybe a character that's great at camping both horizontally and vertically gets a very obvious boost to a stagelist that now has an abundance of large stages compared to Melee's?
Thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard strong bad why dont you take the red pill and wake up

Also wtf how does dash dancing help in a meta where characters' attacks are less punishable and eveyone has an op as **** projectile? As much as i hate to say it this game needs more characters like dk

Last edited by a moderator:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard strong bad why dont you take the red pill and wake up

Also wtf how does dash dancing help in a meta where characters' attacks are less punishable and eveyone has an op as **** projectile? As much as i hate to say it this game needs more characters like dk
Dooooood. I took the blue pill. Get at me.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Dude I feel so proud. Usually it's a guy picking on Strong Bad, but he also took the time to mention ME. 10/10, It's Morning in America

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Fox has the best tournament results.
Really? I don't see him played all that often in tournies, but I figured that was because people were just tired of him always being the best and wanted to try out some new characters.

If he really has the most wins, that suggests that his win percentage is also probably by far the highest.

Last edited:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
We will all be Enlightened.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ let the reign of Strong Bad end ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Last edited:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
I wonder who is giving Marth his results in PM, since he's right under Fox when it comes to Top 16 + Top 8 results, and he's in the top 8 characters for tourney wins too. (All based on the Smashboards rankings, mind you)

Fox is so far ahead in results, only Mario and Wolf come close
Mario and Wolf? Mind listing which major tournament they placed well in? I'm just curious.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Really? I don't see him played all that often in tournies, but I figured that was because people were just tired of him always being the best and wanted to try out some new characters.

If he really has the most wins, that suggests that his win percentage is also probably by far the highest.
Going off Smashboards rankings (which doesn't include all tournaments, blame under-reporting regions + recent Texas stuff!), Fox is way ahead of everyone. It's actually kind of interesting, since it shows Marth and Link as possibly better represented population wise as they have more top 16-8 placings than characters better than them. It's not til you get to tourney wins, that people like Link and Marth drop off, and others like Mario/Wolf show up stronger.

Edit:
Mario and Wolf? Mine listing which major tournament they placed well in? I'm just curious.
I dunno specific tourneys, Wolf is pretty well known in a couple of scenes though. Chillin, Rat, Scythe, so on and so forth. I dunno how to check the rankings easier to see which tourneys were won by specific characters (instead of just stating # of wins or placings), but you can check the rankings and maybe find something there. I'm also only talking about tourney wins: I'll see about compiling stats for placings ranging from 2nd to 7th

Last edited:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Btw who is this red pill guy? I agree with his points on people thinking Spacies take no skill (because they do take major skill) but there are some cringe worthy sentences in his post. Can't we just be professional about our opinion?

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Btw who is this red pill guy? I agree with his points on people thinking Spacies take no skill (because they do take major skill) but there are some cringe worthy sentences in his post. Can't we just be professional about our opinion?
He's The Enlightenment/Papa+Stone/Greenluigi. You know, the guy that goes to all the local libraries to make new accounts. Guess he got bored of playing Runescape.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
"he suffers from a severe case of not being fox"

Strong bad

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Sometimes if a move is arguably better than Fox's equivalent, I argue it's worse because at the end of the move the former character remains in a state of not being Fox, and Fox is Fox at the end.

:3

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Olimar suffers from what is called "Jank-itis"

So does Donkey Kong, but he makes up for it by applying Headon directly to the forehead

Last edited:

steelguttey

mei is bei
yea olimar is sleeper low a tier/high b tier rn. his grab game is insane and the percecents where you can kill with uncharged flowered purple usmash is ****ing insane. if jiggs misses a rest on you for example you can get a fully charged usmash and kill at 26%. someone on reddit posted a whole chart. brb gonna go find it

EDIT: dank

EDIT2: btw just because olimar is a sleeper doesnt mean they dont need to buff his ****ing tether jesus christ that **** makes me so salty when i miss it when i should obviously ****ing hit it

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Phantasmagorical

Smash Cadet
that's the definition of a not-real chaingrab XD
Fine, it isn't a real chaingrab. But getting re-grabbed is arguably the better option in a lot of cases here. It's either that, or DI right above her and become susceptible to upsmash, fsmash, nair, utilt, etc. and whatever may come of that. I realize that doesn't make the chaingrab real, but my original point still stands--getting regrabbed by Samus isn't indicative of a lack of ability to play against her. It just means her dthrow is good since your options are take damage and positional disadvantage from regrabs or take more damage and positional disadvantage from an attack.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Fine, it isn't a real chaingrab. But getting re-grabbed is arguably the better option in a lot of cases here. It's either that, or DI right above her and become susceptible to upsmash, fsmash, nair, utilt, etc. and whatever may come of that. I realize that doesn't make the chaingrab real, but my original point still stands--getting regrabbed by Samus isn't indicative of a lack of ability to play against her. It just means her dthrow is good since your options are take damage and positional disadvantage from regrabs or take more damage and positional disadvantage from an attack.
Except for 90% of the cast, it's best to DI away. You can't be re-grabbed, and she can't follow up as well unless they're floaty.

Last edited:
Top Bottom