• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Bowser/zard/ganon do have more potent tech chases and punishes near the ledge, yes. No they don't have infinites but we're not talking about them having infinites. They do have more threatening grab conversions by the ledge, like the whole cast. ICs punish game is nearly all grab conversions, so by extention they should have stronger options in a situation where they are more likely to get gimped/Lose nana in 3 hits.

30 units is a measure of distance from the ledge.

I don't see what's wrong with ics having situational and difficult to execute infinites, even mid stage. Mashing out of the first grab is incredibly easy in pm if they do anything but throw immediately, meaning they have to already be desynched at low % or you have to be playing a character they can dthrow chain grab. It also requires nana to be alive and present. I don't see what's wrong with handoffs, Expecially because of how easy it is to separate and kill nana for most of the cast, and the fact sopo is probably the worst character in the game.

Fox has easier/less strict to execute infinites mid stage on most of the characters he can waveshine, people don't complain about that.
So infinites AND unwinnable match ups are cool according to the community? I feel like this is why fox is still S tier even though he gets nerfed and why Sheik in SM4SH is S tier even though they get nerfs. The core problem never actually gets addressed.

Also i am not saying take away the lame ledge infinite without compensation, im just saying make it DI worthy or something to get away from it. Also, you would be amazed at how easy the really good IC players get dumb stuff set up.

Also when you said bowser and zard dont have infinites, but we are not talking about them, well i just brought them up and you acknowledged it so lets talk about other characters ledge punishes.

EDIT

Have you played a really good IC player (one that can do the foot stool infinite) with a bigger character or a character without projectiles or olimar? Its hard to separate them when you cant approach safely.

Last edited:

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Yeah the players in the DK matchup thread all say that Spacie matchups are horrible, despite having an all but guaranteed 0-death on them.
I don't actually agree with them, but they highlight the stress of the neutral game.
While DK has a busted punish game vs Fox, Fox also has a busted punish game vs DK. DK does in theory have guaranteed 0-death set ups purely through keeping Fox in hitstun, but Fox can easily combo DK into a ceiling KO via uair or an edgeguard where bair, dsmash, and shinespike cover everything DK can do to recover. Since the gap in punishes are pretty much nonexistent, almost all the stress is in the neutral game.

Marth and Falco are among the few characters where despite being so good in neutral, they have a big enough gap between their punishes and their opponent's punishes that MUs can still be evened out or shifted against them, when it comes time to apply theory into practice. When Marthritis is cited as an actual, legitimate weakness, that's what this is. Also, it's not uncommon at all for Falco players in melee to counterpick as Fox vs Peach and Puff. Mango does this, Westballz sometimes does as well. Consistent kill options go a long way in fleshing out the rough spots of a match up, or in securing a MU where the neutral is won.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
While DK has a busted punish game vs Fox, Fox also has a busted punish game vs DK. DK does in theory have guaranteed 0-death set ups purely through keeping Fox in hitstun, but Fox can easily combo DK into a ceiling KO via uair or an edgeguard where bair, dsmash, and shinespike cover everything DK can do to recover. Since the gap in punishes are pretty much nonexistent, almost all the stress is in the neutral game.

Marth and Falco are among the few characters where despite being so good in neutral, they have a big enough gap between their punishes and their opponent's punishes that MUs can still be evened out or shifted against them, when it comes time to apply theory into practice. When Marthritis is cited as an actual, legitimate weakness, that's what this is. Also, it's not uncommon at all for Falco players in melee to counterpick as Fox vs Peach and Puff. Mango does this, Westballz sometimes does as well. Consistent kill options go a long way in fleshing out the rough spots of a match up, or in securing a MU where the neutral is won.
I want to ask is the DK 0-death stage dependent?

nimigoha

Smash Ace
DK can sweetspot the ledge without getting hit by Dsmash, and shine is very hard to hit because DK has hitboxes on his up B, and an invincible startup.

I agree that Fox can combo DK extremely well, but don't think to the point where it's a -3 matchup for DK. It's not to the point where it's a cut and dry 0-death every time DK gets grabbed or shined.

The neutral game is just so important. I don't think you can reduce it eloquently in numbers but a rough estimate is DK getting 4-5 grabs wins, and Fox winning neutral like 7-8 times wins, it's just easier for him to do so.

I think it's a really fun matchup where the winner is who can perfect their punish game and who can outplay their opponent in the neutral. I know that sounds like every matchup but it's just so extreme in Fox-DK.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
So infinites AND unwinnable match ups are cool according to the community? I feel like this is why fox is still S tier even though he gets nerfed and why Sheik in SM4SH is S tier even though they get nerfs. The core problem never actually gets addressed.

Also i am not saying take away the lame ledge infinite without compensation, im just saying make it DI worthy or something to get away from it. Also, you would be amazed at how easy the really good IC players get dumb stuff set up.

Also when you said bowser and zard dont have infinites, but we are not talking about them, well i just brought them up and you acknowledged it so lets talk about other characters ledge punishes.

EDIT

Have you played a really good IC player (one that can do the foot stool infinite) with a bigger character or a character without projectiles or olimar? Its hard to separate them when you cant approach safely.
stop putting words in my mouth lol. I do think the infinites are fine on ICs. Unwinnable Mus are not okay, but honestly the only people who seem to have huge issues with the ICs MU are bowser mains, because it is probably unwinnable. Maybe instead of not wanting other characters have good things unique to them, bowser should just get properly fixed.

I didn't say we weren't talking about bowser/zard/ganon, I specifically was. I said we weren't talking about those characters having infinites as if it was some sort of balancing mechanic.

Despite the fact that executing the footstool infinite shouldn't be what defines a good ICs player, yeah, I play good ICs in melee as GnW all the time. seperating them can be hard if you can't approach. Doesn't make it impossible. Other character's shortcomings shouldn't mean ICs should lose something, expecially when they are probably only middle of the cast or worse.

The only questionable thing about ICs imo is belay killing at 80.

_Chrome

Smash Ace
The infinites on big characters in mid stage is basically jank also. I spoke to fumbles and he has like 4 different ways to infinite a big character whenever he gets "bored". But on that note, he also handed off olimar (a small character) from 0 to 80-ish% and ended with a Fsmash which is also pretty lame. But at the same time, even with the infinite i would give bowser a 40-60 MU which is way better than you'd think considering one character has an infinite on the other.

Can we get rid of some of the weird jank? Balance IC's and take away their infinite? Make Snake's grenade blast both characters? Take away marthritus but make his tipper not kill at 50%? Weird things thats should not work only working because a character is "big"? Peach Down smash being silly 67% damage from a frame 5 move? MU Spread containing near unwinnable matches?

Right but isn't Hbox the only reason Puff is not C tier on melee?
Hbox may be the only really good Jiggs right now, but Mango has also proved Puff's worth and on paper Puff is a pretty solid character. Not to mention she beats every character below her afaik. Representation is not what makes characters place high on tier lists. It's probably an influential factor, but characters like Wolf and Meta Knight (whose popularity is admittedly growing) don't have that much representation and are widly considered top 5/10 characters in the game. If you try and consider all factors when analyzing tier lists, you'll become a better player that way and learn so much by opening your mind.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
I want to ask is the DK 0-death stage dependent?
Sort of. DK's stems from the classic uthrow cg on Fox, but for DK, it's cargo uthrow. What helps here with mitigating some aspects of stage dependence is that when he starts the cargo, is he is free move around to reset position, or jump onto a platform to extend the regrabs.

DK can sweetspot the ledge without getting hit by Dsmash, and shine is very hard to hit because DK has hitboxes on his up B, and an invincible startup.

I agree that Fox can combo DK extremely well, but don't think to the point where it's a -3 matchup for DK. It's not to the point where it's a cut and dry 0-death every time DK gets grabbed or shined.
It's all mix ups right? If DK tries to sweetspot, he leaves himself open to getting shinespiked or baired. Fox can use ledge invincibility to enhance the effectiveness of these options in that situation too. If DK doesn't sweetspot the ledge, he gets dsmashed. If he tries to recover from above, he gets walled out by bair. It is possible for Fox to play the edge game by reaction. I don't think DK can adequately position himself to take advantage of the invincible start up when he's recovering, but if he can that'd be awesome.

I agree it's not as bad as -3. DK does have the means to wall out Fox, and whenever DKs master the crazy tech skill of initial dash forward sh turnaround canceled punch into bair, he might actually have a decent approach option or two to mix up with as well.

Last edited:

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Hbox may be the only really good Jiggs right now, but Mango has also proved Puff's worth and on paper Puff is a pretty solid character. Not to mention she beats every character below her afaik. Representation is not what makes characters place high on tier lists. It's probably an influential factor, but characters like Wolf and Meta Knight (whose popularity is admittedly growing) don't have that much representation and are widly considered top 5/10 characters in the game. If you try and consider all factors when analyzing tier lists, you'll become a better player that way and learn so much by opening your mind.
I'm trying to be open minded, but the same time i am trying to understand other peoples opinions. Maybe my opinions dont sit well with you/Others (not a lash out at anyone, just a statement) but if no one bounces ideas/opinions/thoughts off eachother, then we would have just a bunch of sheep nodding their heads.

Anyways I have to consider puffs ability to deal with anyone who is above her more than the ones below her. I mean its cool that she can edge guard yoshi, wall of pain Ivy, or flow chart into rest on bowser. It comes down to how she does against falco, fox, ect.

I Can argue that MK is A tier, but not top 5 material just because he lacks a projectile and CC beats out all sorts of his bread and butter moves and once you figure that out (granted i main bowser) you can CC punish everything to really high percents (even higher with bowser because his moves dont break Crouch armour well). Wolf... I need to play a good wolf still as i have yet to lose to the character. I find him too easy to edgegaurd, gimp, get off stage, chain grab. And his projectile is not that great, most of his approaches consist of lazer into air attack. Its not terribly hard to predict, bait, counter. He can't even camp you out really.

Maybe top 10-15 but top 5.... i dont really see it. But i will say MK has some nasty tools to edge guard and tech chase set up.

Last edited:

_Chrome

Smash Ace
I'm trying to be open minded, but the same time i am trying to understand other peoples opinions. Maybe my opinions dont sit well with you/Others (not a lash out at anyone, just a statement) but if no one bounces ideas/opinions/thoughts off eachother, then we would have just a bunch of sheep nodding their heads.

Anyways I have to consider puffs ability to deal with anyone who is above her more than the ones below her. I mean its cool that she can edge guard yoshi, wall of pain Ivy, or flow chart into rest on bowser. It comes down to how she does against falco, fox, ect.

I Can argue that MK is A tier, but not top 5 material just because he lacks a projectile and CC beats out all sorts of his bread and butter moves and once you figure that out (granted i main bowser) you can CC punish everything to really high percents (even higher with bowser because his moves dont break Crouch armour well). Wolf... I need to play a good wolf still as i have yet to lose to the character. I find him too easy to edgegaurd, gimp, get off stage, chain grab. And his projectile is not that great, most of his approaches consist of lazer into air attack. Its not terribly hard to predict, bait, counter. He can't even camp you out really.

Maybe top 10-15 but top 5.... i dont really see it. But i will say MK has some nasty tools to edge guard and tech chase set up.
When I was talking about Puff I was actually talking about in Melee, but I suppose I should've clarified that. You have been contributing to the conversation in a positive way by asking questions and challenging people's stances though, so props for that.

Many people think MK and Wolf are really good right now because their kits can effectively deal with just about any other characters. Unlike bad or mid-level characters they almost always have options. This is coupled and bolstered by the fact that they have overall good movement which coupled with their moveset means they can adapt mid-game and fit various different strategies.

For example, perhaps one of the most influential/notable Wolf players is Chillin. He plays incredibly aggressively, and has advanced the approach, edgeguard, shield pressure, and punish game with Wolf considerably. However, Wolf has his lazers as well, and I haven't seen too many Wolf players use that move very well (which actually is a strong projectile, just not as good as Falco's, etc.).

Wolf players could play more conservatively which could be more effective, but we just haven't seen that yet. It would be amazing if Wolf were developed go the point where conservative play into aggressive Chillin play (maybe ending with that hype my [side] B we all love to see) were more of a norm. That's why he's a top 5/10 in the game, for example.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Shine is not very hard to hit. You just have to go right above DK. The problem people have with intercepting DK's recovery is that they go straight at it horizontally where as you are supposed to attack it vertically. If the shine comes from straight above DK that's a free shine spike. Honestly, Fox's d-air is more devastating, since it continues your momentum down and DK has horrible vertical reach. It's essentially a pseudo-spike.

The neutral game is just so important. I don't think you can reduce it eloquently in numbers but a rough estimate is DK getting 4-5 grabs wins, and Fox winning neutral like 7-8 times wins, it's just easier for him to do so.
This is a valid point. I think Fox is actually -2, but Falco is -3. Falco's lasers really ruin all neutral for DK in that match-up, along with the properties of Falco's shine and his ability to combo into d-air. Also if Fox plays correctly, it is hard to catch him and get a grab. Fox should play campy and punish your approaches which is what makes the neutral stressful. Yes, it may only take 4 grabs, but if a Fox is never putting himself into position to get grabbed then it makes the neutral super super hard, especially because of how good Fox's n-air shine is for stuffing approaches, and his conversions into stagger game from them.

I think it's a really fun matchup where the winner is who can perfect their punish game and who can outplay their opponent in the neutral. I know that sounds like every matchup but it's just so extreme in Fox-DK.
Agreed, but at high level play it should always be assumed punish game is at perfection. To tell you the truth, DK has to outplay Fox in neutral, not really vice-versa. Fox's tools alone allow him to win neutral more times than not. I am not saying either that Fox auto-wins neutral, just Fox wins neutral a lot easier and more efficiently because of his kit, which is applicable to almost any match-up where the character doesn't have a solid approach or a projectile is versing Fox. To be honest, I personally don't think this match-up is impossible, just hard because of all the stress, patience and focus it takes to win. You should never go into this match-up saying you can't win, just be prepared to really earn the win.

I agree it's not as bad as -3. DK does have the means to wall out Fox, and whenever DKs master the crazy tech skill of initial dash forward sh turnaround canceled punch into bair, he might actually have a decent approach option or two to mix up with as well.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by wall out Fox? I'm not sure if you have ever played this match-up, but if DK is walling out Fox, Fox will just laser camp and add on free damage. Also, why wouldn't you just RAR b-air instead of SH Turnaround Cancel Punch Charge B-air? It essentially does the same exact thing except it doesn't give the punch a charge. What DK players need to master is RAR b-air, but before landing back on the ground waveland. It is something I found awhile ago, and have been working on implementing into my game. DK's b-air auto-cancels a little before his SH ends, so if you input the B-air fast enough after your jump you can wave land onto the stage. Helps with extra spacing and such.

Last edited:

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
When I was talking about Puff I was actually talking about in Melee, but I suppose I should've clarified that. You have been contributing to the conversation in a positive way by asking questions and challenging people's stances though, so props for that.

Many people think MK and Wolf are really good right now because their kits can effectively deal with just about any other characters. Unlike bad or mid-level characters they almost always have options. This is coupled and bolstered by the fact that they have overall good movement which coupled with their moveset means they can adapt mid-game and fit various different strategies.

For example, perhaps one of the most influential/notable Wolf players is Chillin. He plays incredibly aggressively, and has advanced the approach, edgeguard, shield pressure, and punish game with Wolf considerably. However, Wolf has his lazers as well, and I haven't seen too many Wolf players use that move very well (which actually is a strong projectile, just not as good as Falco's, etc.).

Wolf players could play more conservatively which could be more effective, but we just haven't seen that yet. It would be amazing if Wolf were developed go the point where conservative play into aggressive Chillin play (maybe ending with that hype my [side] B we all love to see) were more of a norm. That's why he's a top 5/10 in the game, for example.
Perhaps it is a player thing, Or maybe its a match up thing or who I main thing. Every wolf player i play either tries to do some weird keep away (which doesnt work) or comes in mega aggro and eats an Up B OOS. Hows his L cancel and grab data? I feel like i dont get grabbed by wolf alot... Like at all when i really think about it. Its not like im playing anti grab or out of their range either.

The Thing is with the tier list, I really consider wolf under fox and falco hybrid so i place him around A tier because i feel like he can do weird things from both fox and falco but not quite excel in them. Hes good dont get me wrong, but i really just find the fastest faller in the game a gimpable target at all times.

And The jigs comment, I think she is top 8, but way under represented and im not sure why. But i will say Hbox plays the best puff and no one can touch him. But i think hes kind of a Djnintendo for puff. He up throws into rest, walls of pains and camps (which is how you should play the character) and then skips all the bad stuff. *shrugs* and if he doesnt like where hes at, he will camp you some more until you approach and get punished. At least thats what i have seen alot of lately from him.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Eh, I don't think Falco is -3 either. If you can power shield with a decent amount of consistency you can run up>powershield>grab. DK has a decent run speed to close in a distance while Falco is SHLing.

Dash Attack also goes through lasers and it won't be CCd.

Like I agree that Falco's laser is really good, but it's clearly not unbeatable in neutral, otherwise Falco would just be 20XX unbeatable. And his combos are good but SDI and DK's great tech rolls mean you can take advantages of holes.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Can you elaborate on what you mean by wall out Fox? I'm not sure if you have ever played this match-up, but if DK is walling out Fox, Fox will just laser camp and add on free damage. Also, why wouldn't you just RAR b-air instead of SH Turnaround Cancel Punch Charge B-air? It essentially does the same exact thing except it doesn't give the punch a charge. What DK players need to master is RAR b-air, but before landing back on the ground waveland. It is something I found awhile ago, and have been working on implementing into my game. DK's b-air auto-cancels a little before his SH ends, so if you input the B-air fast enough after your jump you can wave land onto the stage. Helps with extra spacing and such.
I haven't played the MU, but I have discussed it in much depth with GrandpaDukes and watched him play it against several strong Foxes.

DK can use bairs, reverse utilts (surprisingly difficult for Fox to punish if you space them well and aren't predictable), and dtilts to wall out Fox. It's not foolproof, but Fox has to respect those options. Fox can use laser, and laser is good, but I would argue he can't laser camp. DK has just enough range + movement speed where he can take the stage control, and his moves that can be used to wall out Fox can prevent Fox from taking stage control back.

The reason to SH Turnaround Cancel Punch Charge B-air is because you can do it out of initial dash (so you have very quick access to your bair) and carry your momentum. RAR doesn't carry momentum off initial dash.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
https://youtu.be/H4XNqgVbiLcXNqgVbiLc

Here's Odds vs Chillin from five months ago. This is how an aggressive Wolf fares against Bowser.
My only issue is that this is old and a few things that chillin took advantage of have been mitigated slightly and odds (and bowser) have improved but wow i learned a lot from that.

I want to see their rematch one day lol.

Along with that i learned how bad bowser's verticle (recovery) really is. Also i dont feel like odds played this right but that is a discussion for another day. Chillin had the touch of death on bowser. Can't say i like that ANOTHER character can touch bowser once and that be enough to kill him. Anyways, i for sure want to play a good wolf now just so i can learn what works and what wouldn't.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Can't say i like that ANOTHER character can touch bowser once and that be enough to kill him.
What do you mean ANOTHER character?
Wolf is basically THE candidate for touching-and-killing when it comes to as/vs any character in the whole game. XD

Agreed though. Odds and Chillin can both do better than that. I've seen them both play better and I haven't even seen either of them much at all. Simple DI things to whatever were very observably missing. Give either of those players 10 more matches of play-time and that video will very clearly look like a joke.
I've yet to see anything from Chillin that has been interesting to me and I don't 'get' the hype, but that's another topic.
Wolf hype like CF hype I guess. Which is cool.

When Wolf play looks a lot more like Sheik play than anything, I'll be stoked to watch it.
It's inevitable, and will be sexy.
^basically just agreeing with the peeps talking earlier about it.
My biggest peeve is still Mario play, but that's another-another story.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Shine is not very hard to hit. You just have to go right above DK. The problem people have with intercepting DK's recovery is that they go straight at it horizontally where as you are supposed to attack it vertically. If the shine comes from straight above DK that's a free shine spike. Honestly, Fox's d-air is more devastating, since it continues your momentum down and DK has horrible vertical reach. It's essentially a pseudo-spike.

This is a valid point. I think Fox is actually -2, but Falco is -3. Falco's lasers really ruin all neutral for DK in that match-up, along with the properties of Falco's shine and his ability to combo into d-air. Also if Fox plays correctly, it is hard to catch him and get a grab. Fox should play campy and punish your approaches which is what makes the neutral stressful. Yes, it may only take 4 grabs, but if a Fox is never putting himself into position to get grabbed then it makes the neutral super super hard, especially because of how good Fox's n-air shine is for stuffing approaches, and his conversions into stagger game from them.

Agreed, but at high level play it should always be assumed punish game is at perfection. To tell you the truth, DK has to outplay Fox in neutral, not really vice-versa. Fox's tools alone allow him to win neutral more times than not. I am not saying either that Fox auto-wins neutral, just Fox wins neutral a lot easier and more efficiently because of his kit, which is applicable to almost any match-up where the character doesn't have a solid approach or a projectile is versing Fox. To be honest, I personally don't think this match-up is impossible, just hard because of all the stress, patience and focus it takes to win. You should never go into this match-up saying you can't win, just be prepared to really earn the win.

In regards to how "easy" it is to shine spike dk. Dk can subtly change his horizontal drift in his upb, willing to bet any good one is going to change it up, and a missed shine opportunity gets you clipped by Dk's up b and forced to use fox fire to get back on stage.

For matchup knowledge, you are far better off using ledge invincibility to keep back air going over and over till he dies. The nerf to air shine spike makes the reward of hitting it neglible anyway.

Not saying your wrong on a lot of the points you made, just going at Dk's up b without disjoint, proper spacing knowledge, or invincibility can easily lead to reverse edgeguard opportunities for dk and don't want people misinformed.

How bad the character is is greatly overrated, I mean we established he outspaces marth, has comparable speed and grab range, an easier to execute 0 to death grab, falling up air leads to auto death, a better oos option, yet loses to fox that much worse than marth because... not arguing falco, just dk vs fox is usually said blah blah unwinnable too just cause no one plays dk at a high lvl except for like 5 people.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
ice climbers can have fifty thousand infinites, a stick the size of texas and free oral sex after the game, they're still the ice climbers and that means they still immediately start faltering the second you hit them with anything that has decent knockback

they have a lot of extreme matchups, yes, but that's because they're chars with extreme negatives and thus only ever become good when extreme positives are added to the mix

Spralwers

Smash Ace
DK only had better grab range than Marth before 3.5 came out. The grab reach was nerfed both horizontally and vertically in 3.5. Marth has had a longer reaching grab since.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
DK only had better grab range than Marth before 3.5 came out. The grab reach was nerfed both horizontally and vertically in 3.5. Marth has had a longer reaching grab since.
Thanks, does that include pivot grab? A lot of the points remain the same for a comparable grab range at least. Have to look up the ranges again.
Is there an updated link for grab ranges?

Last edited:

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Eh, I don't think Falco is -3 either. If you can power shield with a decent amount of consistency you can run up>powershield>grab. DK has a decent run speed to close in a distance while Falco is SHLing.

Dash Attack also goes through lasers and it won't be CCd.

Like I agree that Falco's laser is really good, but it's clearly not unbeatable in neutral, otherwise Falco would just be 20XX unbeatable. And his combos are good but SDI and DK's great tech rolls mean you can take advantages of holes.
I never said they were unbeatable lol. They are just very detrimental to the limited neutral options DK has in that match-up. A main approach for him is B-air, which if hit by a laser, turns him around and takes that option away (talking about Falco obviously). Dash attack is good as a mix up, but its easy to bait and especially easy to punish. Power shielding is something I do need to work on which could definitely help. May change my mind slightly on the match-up, as it could make it easier.

I haven't played the MU, but I have discussed it in much depth with GrandpaDukes and watched him play it against several strong Foxes.

DK can use bairs, reverse utilts (surprisingly difficult for Fox to punish if you space them well and aren't predictable), and dtilts to wall out Fox. It's not foolproof, but Fox has to respect those options. Fox can use laser, and laser is good, but I would argue he can't laser camp. DK has just enough range + movement speed where he can take the stage control, and his moves that can be used to wall out Fox can prevent Fox from taking stage control back.

The reason to SH Turnaround Cancel Punch Charge B-air is because you can do it out of initial dash (so you have very quick access to your bair) and carry your momentum. RAR doesn't carry momentum off initial dash.
Can I get a gfycat of DK doing that? I've been testing that the past 10 minutes, and I can do that with Sheik flawlessly but maybe I'm messing up because of DK's fall speed. I'm not trying to discredit what you are saying, because it easily could be me just missing the inputs, but are you sure DK can do the SH Punch Cancel B-air or are you theorycrafting it?

Also, I love reverse U-tilt as an anti-air and in combination with b-air and d-tilt it's real good, but I don't see those moves walling out Fox, unless we are thinking of different things. Honestly, Fox isn't always on the aggressive in this match-up or at least he shouldn't be. If DK is sitting back Fox should just be shooting lasers and waiting for an approach. I've played a lot of aggressive Fox's and a lot of defensive Fox's and the defensive Fox's are much more troublesome to play against. Yes, the pressure of the aggressive Fox's can be troubling but they set themselves up for grabs way more often, thus giving DK more of a chance in game. Defensive Fox's have a much easier time just grabbing chip damage until they can confirm a way in.

In regards to how "easy" it is to shine spike dk. Dk can subtly change his horizontal drift in his upb, willing to bet any good one is going to change it up, and a missed shine opportunity gets you clipped by Dk's up b and forced to use fox fire to get back on stage.

For matchup knowledge, you are far better off using ledge invincibility to keep back air going over and over till he dies. The nerf to air shine spike makes the reward of hitting it neglible anyway.

Not saying your wrong on a lot of the points you made, just going at Dk's up b without disjoint, proper spacing knowledge, or invincibility can easily lead to reverse edgeguard opportunities for dk and don't want people misinformed.

How bad the character is is greatly overrated, I mean we established he outspaces marth, has comparable speed and larger grab range, an easier to execute 0 to death grab, falling up air leads to auto death, a better oos option, yet loses to fox that much worse than marth because... not arguing falco, just dk vs fox is usually said blah blah unwinnable too just cause no one plays dk at a high lvl except for like 5 people.
In that case, I may be over stating how easy it is by a bit yes, but you got the general point I was making. Yes, a good DK can change momentum, but honestly with experience it's really not that hard as to say gimp or interfere with DK's recovery as it is Ike's. If you know to come in vertically it is much much easier. I should have specified at least for this match-up as some characters do have trouble without disjoints, but to refute if DK is horizontally aligned with the stage invincible b-airs are devastating and generally lead to death. I just wanted to share that horizontally, yes it is challenging to beat out DK's up b, but vertically if you have the proper tools it is not really all that challenging, it's much easier. I should have said that to start I guess. Also for your point about DK versus Fox, Marth doesn't get combo'd nearly as hard as DK does against Fox, and DK's hitboxes mostly are also hurtboxes, which hurts comparatively to Marth as most of his poking tools and neutral tools are disjointed. That is why I give DK a -2 instead of -1 against Fox. Also, DK's neutral is still a little worse than Marth's IMO.

Just for reference, I don't know if you are getting this off my post, but I don't think DK is bad at all. I think he is greatly under rated. I just think he performs lack luster against spacies because of their amazing neutral and DK's lack luster neutral, along with arguable being one the easiest character in the game to combo, and not terrible hard to edge guard. Yes, once DK gets a grab it should be lights out, but sometimes netting four grabs in a match isn't easy. I also don't have a lot of Melee experience, so you could chime that in to me still learning how to properly play against Fox and Falco.

Last edited:

Spralwers

Smash Ace
There was a slight nerf to pivot grab, but I don't think it's that noticeable and really changes when you use it.

The standing grab nerf was definitely significant and noticeable if you either played as or against a good DK often pre 3.5 though. Because of this, Marth can, to an extent, apply an anti-Bowser strategy where he grabs DK anytime DK tries to move forward and take space. You can also space attacks on DK's shield with much more flexibility than before while being safe from shield grab. Marth's DD grab is without a doubt superior (just in terms of getting the grab, not necessarily his options once he lands the grab), but I agree with everything else. I do think Marth is better equipped to deal with DD heavy characters than DK because he has faster movement and his poking options are less laggy.

Can I get a gfycat of DK doing that? I've been testing that the past 10 minutes, and I can do that with Sheik flawlessly but maybe I'm messing up because of DK's fall speed. I'm not trying to discredit what you are saying, because it easily could be me just missing the inputs, but are you sure DK can do the SH Punch Cancel B-air or are you theorycrafting it?

Also, I love reverse U-tilt as an anti-air and in combination with b-air and d-tilt it's real good, but I don't see those moves walling out Fox, unless we are thinking of different things. Honestly, Fox isn't always on the aggressive in this match-up or at least he shouldn't be. If DK is sitting back Fox should just be shooting lasers and waiting for an approach. I've played a lot of aggressive Fox's and a lot of defensive Fox's and the defensive Fox's are much more troublesome to play against. Yes, the pressure of the aggressive Fox's can be troubling but they set themselves up for grabs way more often, thus giving DK more of a chance in game. Defensive Fox's have a much easier time just grabbing chip damage until they can confirm a way in.
It's known in melee that DK can do it, but it's so difficult that literally no DK actually uses it as a part of their regular gameplay. The key is to cancel the punch so fast that you don't even see DK raising his fist. I don't have a gfy unfortunately. Only reason I know about it actually is because GrandpaDukes was talking to me about it.

Yeah, I get that Fox isn't supposed to be on the aggressive in the MU. I brought it more as an example of how DK actually has legitimate solutions to stuffing Fox's approaches, so much so that Fox has to play passive and use the gun. That's a much better situation than struggling just to stop his approach, which unfortunately is the reality for several other characters.

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Right but is it okay for IC to infinite hand off a character because they are "big"? I know the mechanic well enough to know that once im grabbed and start being han

Some I notice no one tagged Fumbles yet. Now when you say 30 units, what is a unit exactly and why does that affect a hand off? Also is this including any ledge like platforms too? Because i am pretty sure fumbles got some middle stage hand offs but once again, since no one knows his tag we cant just ask the guy who spent his summer learning the hand off.

EDIT

I thought you were PMDT and actually knew the programming, now that i know you are a normal person who didnt program it, i feel better saying, that IC CAN hand off big character mid stage. Prove me wrong or Tag Fumbles.

*EDIT* also feel free to explain why a ledge SHOULD influence the use of an infinite? Like What is happening to make it be an infinite and why that is okay. (and the because "IC is Underused" is not a valid answer)
I am PMDT, and I have a very good understanding of how everything relating to IC's works.

A unit is just a form of measurement. 30 units is about 2 IC's character lengths away from the ledge. When you throw to nana she will always throw up, or toward an edge if within 30 units of that ledge. So when you are standing near the edge of the stage you can chain hand-offs together. This is not an infinite, but can often net you a kill. You see this in melee happen a lot. I spent over a hundred hours testing hand-offs and the team spent time working on IC's to make hand-offs feel very similar to melee. They were considered the worst character in the game before these changes because they had no meaningful punish game while having tons of risk. In PM as they are, they are designed as a high risk -> high reward character. Removing their spectacular punish game off a grab and improving other aspects of the character is pretty much just homogenizing them, something I'm very against as IC's playstyle has always been centered around high risk/reward scenarios.

I am very aware of the infinites the character has. The footstool infinite doesn't work on most characters, and is incredibly hard. The bthrow ledge infinite is so hard to set up I've still yet to see it pulled off in a match despite it being known about for years. Just because an infinite exists does not mean it is the best option, or that it is even good. People have a hard time wrapping their heads around this logic because it's not intuitive, but it's a very real thing. We don't mess with the bthrow ledge infinite because it would mess-up their hand-offs, and pretty much all the cool things IC's can do because of it. Take this for example:

That would not be possible if we removed the bthrow ledge infinite. You have to consider many things when looking at taking things out. I'm not particularly fond of infinites(which is why you'll never see me add them to IC's.), but I also understand how changes can affect more than just something obvious on a character. Despite people claiming IC's to be the worst in the game for a long while, I've been very hesitant to buff them. The only serious thing I've done is make up-b kill, and this was after a lot of thought about ways for the character to have a chance against peach/floaties without giving them something incredibly dumb to compensate. Other than that I just asked the programmers(bless those guys <3) to do things like fix interpolation on fsmash/upsmash, remove bugs..and not much else. We worked really hard on making hand-offs work perfectly so those aren't going anywhere as we aren't going to redesign the entire character to remove them. It is understood that some people don't enjoy playing against IC's, but that's okay. Having a dynamic cast leads to these issues regardless, and it's impossible to please everyone.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Not sure about others, but my issue with rng comes from when the counterplay against the normal occurrence is drastically different than the outlier.

With peach, aside from her getting a bf sword, we have mr. Saturn who's mechanics drastically vary from turnips, and who's shield damage creates outrageous shield pressure for peach. The bomb counterplay is at least identical to turnip, agt it back or don't get hit (still bs, but at least similar counterplay.).
You can differentiate between turnips and items on reaction, so I'm not necessarily seeing this as a potential problem in Peach's case. Stitch vs other turnips maybe, identifying them can be difficult on some TVs.

I'd also argue that your premise is unnecessarily dependent on a normative case - what if we were talking about something akin to GG Faust's item toss, for example? Many different potential items, all with their own counterplay, but there's time to react to the particular item spawned before it's "in play".

Really guys...beam sword? Like it's okay I guess...but this is what's being talked about? Most of beam swords moves are pretty easily counterplayed by shielding since everything has massive endlag on it and makes peach unable to grab. Like I get that this is Knee Jerk Speculation...but are people really considering beamsword to be OP based off Armada and Prof messing around?
I don't consider the beam sword "OP", but it has significant impact relative to potential counterplay in certain matchups. I don't really agree with shields being a significant weakness; spaced jab is decent in its own right while z-drop is ~-0 and sets up for any of Peach's usual options on shield quite nicely.

For me it's a matter of not getting put into that position in the first place. Obviously it happens time to time though. But I say far too many NYC players fall into Phresh's set ups by failing to SDI the down throw>dair, or by playing around by the ledge rather than holding center stage.

Once it's in progress I just mash a lot and it gets me out pretty often, since his hand offs aren't always perfect. Otherwise I just mix up my DI when getting thrown off stage, then SDI the fair back into the stage and try to tech, but that doesn't always work. It's tough, but not unbeatable.
I agree that not getting grabbed near the ledge is an important first step that's too often missed even by players who know the matchup.

Something to play around with further then. My gut response is always "****, that's a spike?", but again it's something I see far more than I get to play against it.

Last edited:

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
It's known in melee that DK can do it, but it's so difficult that literally no DK actually uses it as a part of their regular gameplay. The key is to cancel the punch so fast that you don't even see DK raising his fist. I don't have a gfy unfortunately. Only reason I know about it actually is because GrandpaDukes was talking to me about it.

Yeah, I get that Fox isn't supposed to be on the aggressive in the MU. I brought it more as an example of how DK actually has legitimate solutions to stuffing Fox's approaches, so much so that Fox has to play passive and use the gun. That's a much better situation than struggling just to stop his approach, which unfortunately is the reality for several other characters.
Ah definitely a flub on my end. I figured it was, but I figured I'd ask. Sorry if you felt I was calling you out on the spot, I just have never seen it before, and couldn't replicate it so I wanted to see video evidence to see if I was messing up, which I was. Also I see your point on the approaches. It was definitely fair rebuttal, I was just taking your definition of walling as like Melee Jiggs WoP or Marth f-air walls, and I just couldn't see the similarities. But yes, DK definitely has some answers to some of Fox's pressure. Not the best, but definitely not the worst. Also I feel Fox just uses the gun for free damage, in a match-up where U-smash can't kill reliably at lower percents Fox needs to make up the percent else where while staying safe.

Last edited:

ilysm

sleepy
T tasteless gentleman Regarding how ledges affect the 'value' of infinites, infinites always become more viable or less viable depending on how difficult they are to set up. The b-throw infinite for Icies not only needs to be near a ledge, it needs to be facing in a specific direction and is incredibly difficult to execute properly. Outside of that setup, they have no proper infinites. F-throw/d-throw handoffs near the ledge are not technically an infinite though they can still be brutal and can usually take a stock. They're a part of the Icies' punish game, and arguably the strongest part considering good DI done properly can gut all their chaingrabs. An infinite that requires some significant degree of setup (by 'setup' I mean a process more complicated than 'grab opponent', which can be pretty damn difficult as Melee and Brawl have demonstrated but is still kind of silly), as opposed to a 'touch of death' infinite like Wobbling where all you need to do is connect one attack and then don't screw up the rhythm from there, becomes more of a specific tool than a dominating, all-encompassing toolkit. That's what ledge handoffs are: a tool to use when you've pushed your opponent to the ledge. Without them, I would argue Icies would be much worse than they are, and have a much harder time killing at the very least. They've become an integral part of their punish game without becoming the only thing in their kit worth using.

In this case, the B-throw infinite doesn't dominate their toolkit because it's so specific that to date nobody has ever seen seen an Icies player pull it off in tournament (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). The Icies were considered so stupid in Brawl because their chaingrabs were the only aspect of their kit worth pursuing, were responsible for a very high amount of their results, and essentially dominated the meta in a very harsh way. Ledge handoffs have never reached that level of dominance due to their level of difficulty and specificity. There are other examples of this. Fox technically has some infinites in Melee with waveshine/perfect pivot shine, but it's so stupidly difficult and specific that even though it's the best option when you can pull it off technically, it's not the best option practically. Peach has a couple footstool/turnip infinites and 0-deaths in Smash 4 (and so does Lucas on certain stages), but none of these characters achieve such a level of dominance in the meta of their respective games (at least not for those reasons where Fox is concerned) because there are better practical options to pursue and the infinites are so specific they rarely see use.

tl;dr Infinites aren't toxic to design because there's no counterplay or you can't escape once you're in it, infinites are toxic to design if they homogenize a character's kit to focus on one specific option because there's nothing else worth doing. They discourage creative thinking and obliterate flexible play/counter-play in a matchup. The B-throw infinite in PM does none of those things (you could hypothetically argue it even encourages creative play in order to set it up in the first place but I have neither the knowledge nor the inclination to debate that point to death). The way it works in PM, it's become one incredibly powerful specific kill setup rather than 'i hit you -> you're dead'. Saying 'all infinites are bad as a rule' is dangerous because if there's one thing Smash taught us, it's that things are always way, way more complicated than they seem on the surface.

That said, if any of these infinites do see enough consistent use to become a problem in that way, they should absolutely be balanced. But the guiding philosophy here is "if it ain't broke (yet), don't fix it (yet)", especially when 'fixing' it could hold such drastic consequences for the Climbers as an already precarious (subtle cliff pun, haha) character.

(Also I have never heard of handoffs on big characters at center stage and would absolutely love for Fumbles to elaborate, but I had no idea he even had a Smashboards account and he's notoriously difficult to find good footage of, which is a shame considering his Icies play is so impressive. I'd love to find out more though! ^_^)

Also, only in this thread could people spend three pages discussing all the different reasons why Icies are bad and then propose to neuter one of the most critical parts of their punish game.

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
thank god
Basically, while I personally would never add an infinite to a game, there are situations in which they are reasonable and/or not very good. When going for an incredibly hard/situational infinite can cost you stocks/games if you mess up as opposed to more reliable things, they aren't really good. The only reason they aren't removed is because removing them would mess with other aspects of the character that are really interesting and/or needed. It especially helps in the case of IC's where you can avoid infinites through a variety of means, be it stage positioning, hitting nana, mashing, etc. There is counterplay and thought to fighting them.

Also 99.9% of people won't ever have to deal with this because fumbles is the only one who even attempts the infinites lol(and I think he would be better off not doing them but that's up to his discretion)

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
On punch cancel turn around bar for DK. Just tested, it seemed really strict timing. Why not do a dash back shield stop into a jump bair? Shieldstops are more worth the practice then such a niche use anyways. Better yet, do an empty pivot. Both are more worth the practice (unless empty pivots are harder in PM than melee, because I can do them in melee, haven't tried in pm yet).

Life

Smash Hero
AFAIK you don't even need to empty pivot, strictly speaking, you just have to jump on the right frame and correct for drift as desired.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
Thanks, does that include pivot grab? A lot of the points remain the same for a comparable grab range at least. Have to look up the ranges again.
Is there an updated link for grab ranges?
worth noting that the stats page isnt a good judge of grab range. It measures the x offset from each characters topN, which doesnt factor in their body size. DK never had a longer grab range than marth, at least, one that was meaningful. im pretty sure that list still says bowser has like, the second longest grab range or something, which is a complete joke when you look at how far the grab actually sticks out past his nose (it barely does, for the record).

if you want to test grab ranges, an easy method is to go to a stage like training stage, enter debug mode, and look at how many blocks/fractions of blocks a characters grab sticks out past their furthest hurtbox forward. ie. if DK/bowser stand/shield with their nose as the furthest hurtbox that sticks out forward, then measure how far past that the grab bubbles go.

alternatively, you can use this as a starting point: http://imgur.com/Mrzepjz (with credit to magus420)

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Basically, while I personally would never add an infinite to a game, there are situations in which they are reasonable and/or not very good. When going for an incredibly hard/situational infinite can cost you stocks/games if you mess up as opposed to more reliable things, they aren't really good. The only reason they aren't removed is because removing them would mess with other aspects of the character that are really interesting and/or needed. It especially helps in the case of IC's where you can avoid infinites through a variety of means, be it stage positioning, hitting nana, mashing, etc. There is counterplay and thought to fighting them.

Also 99.9% of people won't ever have to deal with this because fumbles is the only one who even attempts the infinites lol(and I think he would be better off not doing them but that's up to his discretion)
Thats all he does with IC or he loses basically. Maybe thats why im biased because the footstool infinite trashes big characters. but i have seen him use the footstool on alot of other smaller characters.

Also i never saw the B throw infinite, but i have seen lots of the other infinites. I for sure learned something from this talk, still though infinites that dont allow you to DI or try anything is BS. Its just some lame melee wobble all over again.

So from what i gathered from this, fumbles is the only one who does infinites so no one knows how cheap they are or how stupid the footstool infinite looks/works?

Player -0

Smash Hero
About a year ago I thought footstool might lead to a regrab (it's probably on IC's forums somewhere). Then I was told it didn't work and I never tested it until 5 million years later.

That's my story for knowing how footstool CG exists. Note that my IC's are pretty bad (I can do the infinite on CPUs though LOL).

You can probably mash out at early percents when Nana is landing. Also note that with the footstool fail window this CG is a tad harder to pull off.

Either way I think it was said any P:M infinites discovered wouldn't be patched out so idk.

Last edited:

ilysm

sleepy
You can also DI while falling down from the footstool I believe. And a few other things. Footstool is definitely not an infinite, but it does trash big characters, especially Bowser, who loses harder to grabs than anyone else in the entire game.

Yambotico

Smash Rookie
On punch cancel turn around bar for DK. Just tested, it seemed really strict timing. Why not do a dash back shield stop into a jump bair? Shieldstops are more worth the practice then such a niche use anyways. Better yet, do an empty pivot. Both are more worth the practice (unless empty pivots are harder in PM than melee, because I can do them in melee, haven't tried in pm yet).
Empty pivots are much more accessible in pm than in melee. After dashing in one direction, you just slightly press back in the other direction. I've been working on stuff like empty pivot d tilt and u tilt

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
I've been practicing them with Melee Marth. I just wanted to make sure it was the same/similar. I have it to about 50 percent success rate.

Top Bottom