• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Life

Smash Hero
JOE has this big long speech about how Charizard's fire breath is basically unsafe on hit, but he seems to have left the thread so...

Basically, Charizard Flamethrower has comparable frame data to Heat Wave. Heat Wave deals up to 25%, has a gigantic hitbox, and kills pretty early. Flamethrower... doesn't.

At least that's my understanding of the situation.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
It also doesn't start up cancel on landing, doesn't have a bite hit box to punish sdi in, puts opponents in the air so characters with fast aerials can easily punish him, AND doesn't cause hit stun after half the distance.

Like.... Really? The move is garbage even when not compared to bowsers

JOE!

Smash Hero
Gonna quote myself on why Flamethrower bothers the hell out of me:

For reference, I've gotten frame data for a single "burst" of fire from debug mode:
Beginning lag: 1-18
First Hitbox: 19-36
Last Hitbox: 43-60
End Lag: 43-77 or 60-77 depending on where you start counting, IASA.
Number of hits: 5
Time between hits: 6 frames
Damage potential: 10% (close) 5% (far)

So you get 17-34 frames of end lag for 10-5% damage...
Actually, if we count from the frame the hitbox of the last flame stops dealing hit-stun (53), you have end lag of 25 frames.

Compared to Heatwave: 1-59 frames total with IASA.
Beginning Lag: 1-20
First Hitbox: 21-24
Second Hitbox: 25-27
Third Hitbox: 28-30
Fourth Hitbox: 31-33
End Lag: 34-59
Damage Potential: 25% (close), 10% (far)

(IASA was taken via holding shield in Debug, frame by frame, etc)

So for 25-10% damage that deals knockback with a GIANT hitbox, you have 25 frames of end lag as well, but it ends sooner.

So, Flamethrower ends later on the same "input" time with the same (practical) end lag as heatwave, but nets nowhere near the reward.
And a followup quote from a random proposal I made

Essentially I was experimenting with FT and as you see, saw how incredibly laggy it is considering the damage and lack of stun near the end. A single tap of the B Button will have Zard be vulnerable for 18 frames before a single hitbox comes out, and then have 5 hitboxes emerge up until frame 43. Frame 53 is the last frame there is any hit-stun from this burst, and 25 frames later at frame 77 is where you get IASA (34 frames from the last hitbox). For the trouble, you get 10% damage in the hit-stun area of the burst and from afar a mere 5%. Compared to the similar Heatwave, it has to wait 2 more frames before hitboxes emerge on frame 21, but then gets a wall of 4 massive, powerful hits with no time between them that deal 25%-10% until frame 33, and ends at frame 59 with IASA. So at 18 frames faster, it also has 25 frames of end lag compared to the 34 FT has (unless you count the 25 from where the last hitbox becomes "weak"), while being overall much safer even on hit with similar range (arguably bigger), transcendent priority and a boatload of power.

Where I'm going with this is that it seems that outside of a literal "edge case" where you can make use of the angling and duration of Flamethrower (Don't get me wrong, it's fun and unique to have a move suited to be used best on a ledge facing out!), FT seems incredibly lackluster. Hell, with (25) frames to work with, FT is in fact -always- punishable on hit unless the foe DI's far out of it or falls due to being offstage. In nearly every way other than that Heatwave is superior, and it seems like a shame given FT is a sort of signature move, and HW itself isn't a flawless "wall" for zoning either (given it will never "Stuff" other moves given it cannot clank, namely projectiles which are a big sore spot for Zard). I personally feel that given the way the move works, it wouldn't hurt to perhaps have the IASA window to scale based on how long it has been held (or how many hitboxes it produces) to make a short burst an actual tool instead of a hefty mistake.

There are a few ways this could work, but I guess the gist of it is that a single press, and no further holding of "B" before frame 43 (where the last hitbox from a tap emerges) will then grant an earlier IASA window than what we have now. With some testing in Debug Mode again, I found the following data on how this hit would work if need be:
  • When standing right next to Mario at 0% with a fresh Flamethrower, the 5th hit from the burst will hit at frame 49 at the earliest (no DI) and grant Mario 12 frames of hit stun after that frame where he is struck.
  • This makes Mario able to act at frame 62 of the burst (if hit by all 5 at close range), giving him 15 frames to punish Charizard while essentially right next to him. Granted, this is all best case scenario for Zard where Mario didn't DI at all or try and beat out the flames.
  • From the range Mario ends up at with no DI, Charizard cannot jab or grab him (his two fastest options with horizontal reach from the ground), but interestingly can Ftilt, Dtilt and immediate dash-grab and all hit at frame 9 from the distance.
  • If we are being super generous, IASA at frame 53 (Conveniently where that last hitbox stops dealing hit-stun) would let him hit people after the flames if they don't do anything, and yet still be only a mere 6 frames faster than Heatwave in total (yet having a 10 frame window rather than 25 frame one).
  • More realistically, IASA at frame 57 both seems "cleaner" (shave 20 frames off the "long" version), and doesn't necessarily auto combo into Dtilt/Ftilt or Dash-Grab (Those would reach Mario at frame 66, him having had 5 frames to possibly jump or toss out a hitbox preemptively or something? Point being is that the victim, regardless of character, had well over half a second to do something on reaction upon getting FT tossed onto them such as toss up their shield or dodge). This is a mere 2 frames faster than Heatwave's IASA, but has a much smaller gap between the last hit and IASA.

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand they buffed Snake stick animation. Why would you make a move with such obscene reward and plenty of setups safer?
C4 is the only reliable kill option in Snake's arsenal. He has a harder time killing without the C4 and those other options get punished HARD if they don't work. Plus, Snake's neutral game, especially his approach game, is still lacking so Snake players have to work on getting the C4 on their opponent in order to reap the rewards. Sticking also removes a part of his recovery options.

In 3.5 Snake had a lot of bad matchups. Like A LOT lol. He should at least be compensated for those

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
couldn't you just like, not use zard's flamethrower for things besides edgeguarding certain characters... or even not use it at all
sounds like it solves the problem of flamethrower being bad
you don't really see good jiggs mains complaining about sing, because they just don't use it

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you don't really see good jiggs mains complaining about sing, because they just don't use it
They complain about it ALL THE TIME. are you even in the community?

Zard either needs a new move or there needs to be reason to actually use FB.

edgeguarding with FB is essentially trolling, there is always a better option

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone who doesn't play Yoshi but has a good understanding of the character and how to play against the character have an opinion on the Yoshi changes? I've seen a lot of opinions from Yoshi mains (including mself admittedly) that are convinced the changes have doomed Yoshi to bottom tier. I've also seen a lot of arguments that Yoshi may have even been net buffed because of the footstool change alone (which I actually really appreciate) but a lot of those arguments come from people who don't really understand the character, citing parrying, superarmor, or "amsa but better". I'm curious what high level players who are actually smart about the game and are capable of forming a semi-objective argument think about the character.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
I personally think tethers should be given some advantage other then pivot grabs, especially if they can't grab out out of the air. Made a post a couple of days ago. I think the air grab box of certain characters should come out frame 7 personally.

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
couldn't you just like, not use zard's flamethrower for things besides edgeguarding certain characters... or even not use it at all
sounds like it solves the problem of flamethrower being bad
Eh, that's not cool. It's like telling Sheik mains the solution to Chain is not use Chain.

Last edited:

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
There are plenty of characters with very bad, niche moves with fairly little reward.

EDIT: Okay, not plenty, but quite a few.

EDIT 2: I just wanted to say that this isn't that big of a problem. Not every move is useful, and characters can still get by fine.

Last edited:

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Does anyone who doesn't play Yoshi but has a good understanding of the character and how to play against the character have an opinion on the Yoshi changes? I've seen a lot of opinions from Yoshi mains (including mself admittedly) that are convinced the changes have doomed Yoshi to bottom tier. I've also seen a lot of arguments that Yoshi may have even been net buffed because of the footstool change alone (which I actually really appreciate) but a lot of those arguments come from people who don't really understand the character, citing parrying, superarmor, or "amsa but better". I'm curious what high level players who are actually smart about the game and are capable of forming a semi-objective argument think about the character.
SideB nerfs are kinda stupid. I saw a video that Shiny Zubat posted last week where he got hit on the ground out of egg roll and he lost the vertical rise. They also nerfed the vertical rise from the first use and the 2nd use goes nowhere now. The first use was always somewhat difficult to punish due to a decent about of mixups in horizontal movement, but it wasn't anything spectacular other than some weird aerial hitbox that sometimes appears. As for the 2nd use, that was always predictable after you hit Yoshi the first time, but now he basically just falls straight down. I don't see the point in nerfing the 2nd aerial egg roll use.

Grab parrying was lame and most times was accidental for Yoshi's. Plus, 6 frames you can't get grabbed in addition to his shield already being able to not be shield stabbed is bad design IMO. The Melee parry should come back, but it's not huge given that Yoshi can jump out of shield (something widely overlooked given his great options OoS).

Not being able to footstool his double jump isn't that big because Yoshi could simply rising Uair people that went low. Even if someone were to refute that with the point that you can hit Yoshi before Uair starts but after his double jump begins, footstooling has taken its hardest nerf with the update that requires precision else the user faces a 20 frame wait time before being able to attempt another footstool.

==

Yoshi's hitboxes are super buffed from Melee in terms of size and some power iirc. His Dtilt's set knockback leads into ledge guards and forcing opponents to bad positions easily while also having the ability to gain stage control. Yoshi will never be anything worse than mid-tier so long as these changes from Melee remain in effect.

steelguttey

mei is bei
the whole argument that "not every move needs to be good" is perfectly a-ok but not when talking about characters that could use a mid range projectile and have one they get punished for using (charizard) or whatever the **** sing is supposed to achieve

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
the whole argument that "not every move needs to be good" is perfectly a-ok but not when talking about characters that could use a mid range projectile and have one they get punished for using (charizard) or whatever the **** sing is supposed to achieve
I guess you're right.

And I think sing was meant by Sakurai to be part of a rest setup.

didds

Smash Lord
Make charizards flamethrower act like squirtles uncharged water gun and watch him soar into high tier!

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
PM chain technically has chain jacket glitch, but it's still hard to call it anything but useless. Not a fan of the "just don't use it" argument either.

Loss of dair landing hitbox has advantages and disadvantages, but overall I'd say I like it. Kind of like how I use early HC nair a lot on Mewtwo to avoid knocking opponents away with the strong hitbox. Yoshi Bomb changes are welcome, the 0x hitlag multiplier on previous versions was pretty crazy. No opinion on uair, haven't really explored the impact of that change. Shield startup change is good, weight change is meh, footstool resistance is a notable buff. Not a fan of the side-b change. Pivot grab IASA change is fine, but the global change to his grabs really isn't. I've said before that making tethers unable to grab aerial opponents is lazy and unintuitive design, and I stand by that statement. It's also inconsistent, as we currently have one tether that can air grab (Samus, and formerly ZSS) and all the others can't. I'm not suggesting Samus' grab should be nerfed, mind...

Anyway, I thought he was really good and generally underrated in 3.5. I don't think he's bottom tier in 3.6. Right now he's just inside my top 20, but don't hold me to that.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Wow, I didn't look closely to Yoshi's changes, that sucks. I just heard about footstool/grab changes. That shield change is so stupid...

*edit* I believe Ivysaur can grab airborne on all but the furthest grab bubble.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Shield change is anything but stupid. It fixes two things about Yoshi's shield startup that were stupid, namely grab parrying and the way hitboxes would sometimes "break through" the startup animation and hit Yoshi due to the way invincibility works in Brawl. It's a small nerf, but also a buff.

Last edited:

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
PM chain technically has chain jacket glitch, but it's still hard to call it anything but useless. Not a fan of the "just don't use it" argument either.

Loss of dair landing hitbox has advantages and disadvantages, but overall I'd say I like it. Kind of like how I use early HC nair a lot on Mewtwo to avoid knocking opponents away with the strong hitbox. Yoshi Bomb changes are welcome, the 0x hitlag multiplier on previous versions was pretty crazy. No opinion on uair, haven't really explored the impact of that change. Shield startup change is good, weight change is meh, footstool resistance is a notable buff. Not a fan of the side-b change. Pivot grab IASA change is fine, but the global change to his grabs really isn't. I've said before that making tethers unable to grab aerial opponents is lazy and unintuitive design, and I stand by that statement. It's also inconsistent, as we currently have one tether that can air grab (Samus, and formerly ZSS) and all the others can't. I'm not suggesting Samus' grab should be nerfed, mind...

Anyway, I thought he was really good and generally underrated in 3.5. I don't think he's bottom tier in 3.6. Right now he's just inside my top 20, but don't hold me to that.
Changing the hitlag multiplier on grounded down b's pop up hitbox actually changed it from a broken move to a near useless move. It can be ASDI'd down by every character at any % and punished since the landing animation is so laggy. From what I can tell now, grounded down b is only useful against people who don't know what to do about it of course, and as a kill followup on certain characters after they miss DI on Yoshi's downthrow.

The most impactful nerfs, however, are the aerial grab nerf and the eggroll horizontal momentum nerf.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
couldn't you just like, not use ROB's side-b for things besides reflecting certain projectiles... or even not use it at all
sounds like it solves the problem of spinnarama being bad
you don't really see good jiggs rob mains complaining about sing spin, because they just don't use it
The future is nigh

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
"characters that could use a mid-range projectile"
what are you implying here? That charizard needs a mid-range projectile to be good? Charizard needs a mid-range projectile to be broken as hell, he's already an amazing character

The future is nigh
that's how I am using it currently, I don't see your point really
had I actually complained about it at one point, the comparison is irrelevant because zard's flamethrower didn't go from a projectile approach to a mediocre projectile, unlike ROB's side-b going from a reflector approach to a mediocre reflector

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Changing the hitlag multiplier on grounded down b's pop up hitbox actually changed it from a broken move to a near useless move. It can be ASDI'd down by every character at any % and punished since the landing animation is so laggy. From what I can tell now, grounded down b is only useful against people who don't know what to do about it of course, and as a kill followup on certain characters after they miss DI on Yoshi's downthrow.

The most impactful nerfs, however, are the aerial grab nerf and the eggroll horizontal momentum nerf.
Sometimes these things are handled incrementally. Remove the dumb stuff, observe, adjust the rest as needed. If it needs adjustment, maybe that'll happen in 4.0. Admittedly not an ideal situation for the player, but still.

Does the PMDT even have any dedicated Yoshi players? It might not even be a position of wanting to observe, they may simply have not had enough information to make decisions regarding further changes. They are spread kind of thin right now.

Narpas_sword

Eh, that's not cool. It's like telling Sheik mains the solution to Chain is not use Chain.
Yea but unlike Bowser/Zard, in sheiks case, there isn't another character with a similar move that works better.

No other female character.
wearing skin tight clothing
who jumps around all ninja-y
with a whip like side b.

None. at. all.

I have no point.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
the point should be that it's perfectly valid to tell sheik mains not to use chain
unless you want them to be bad or something then tell them it's always good to use chain, just get better at it

D

Deleted member

My current tier list opinions of 3.6b (Characters not ordered within tiers):
S: :ness2: :gw:
A: :ike: :roypm: :marth:
B: :fox: :falco: :wolf: :sheik: :falcon: :samus2: :luigi2: :peach: :mewtwopm:
C: :diddy: :popo: :lucas: :mario2: :wario: :rob: :sonic: :metaknight:
D: :toonlink: :lucario: :link2: :bowser2: :dedede: :pit:
E: :kirby2: :ganondorf: :dk2: :olimar: :yoshi2: :snake: :zerosuitsamus: :zelda:
F: :pikachu2: :squirtle: :ivysaur: :charizard: :jigglypuff:

:ness2: and :gw: are actually stupidly broken this patch. Godlike recovery, easy access combos, easy to land kill moves, and extremely quick aerials.

:018:
WAIT A MINUTE

IS THIS AN ACTUAL LIST

OH WAIT I THOUGHT THIS WAS A TROLL LIST

please tell me this is a troll list

4tlas

Smash Lord
the point should be that it's perfectly valid to tell sheik mains not to use chain
unless you want them to be bad or something then tell them it's always good to use chain, just get better at it
Yes it is perfectly valid to tell them its a bad move and should not be used.

It is also perfectly valid to discuss how bad it is and how it could be improved, in the hope that someday glorious PMDT who can edit this game will do something about it.

JOE!

Smash Hero
"useless moves" is a weird subject. Like, why is it OK for there to be just plain bad moves when most characters enjoy being able to use nearly their whole moveset effectively?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
my question is why can yoshi STILL BE SHIELD POKED.

its like they don't like listening to me regarding bugs

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
"useless moves" is a weird subject. Like, why is it OK for there to be just plain bad moves when most characters enjoy being able to use nearly their whole moveset effectively?
Because characters can still be just as good as, if not better than characters who have more useful moves.

In Charizard's case, I can't see his fire breath getting buffed in a way that would change his tier placement at all. I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, but he seems fine as-is.

Last edited:

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
my question is why can yoshi STILL BE SHIELD POKED.

its like they don't like listening to me regarding bugs
When I read the patch notes, they said "head and nose intangibility", which made me think about Yoshi getting poked by a downtilt from behind or something, but I haven't had the opportunity to try it myself. Is that what you are referring to, or is this parry glitch part 2?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
yoshi has been able to be shield poked since brawl.

has probably been reported every patch multiple times. still not fixed, or word of inability of fix.

have yoshi stand on a BF platform and have someone else pick falcon. stand under yoshi and up-tilt, its a shield poke nearly every time

Top Bottom