• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

D

Deleted member

I mean, if you like people telling you that your character isn't that good and seeing people list your character as having a 50/50 MU with the cast supposedly and then having an absurd win 90%+ rate, mario is the character for you lol.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Mario is the man

But his approaching is so vastly overrated it's literally as if people see Dair and use that move specifically to carry him up the tier list. It's possible to DD bait and space normally vs Mario people, you don't have to be a sitting duck. Every stock is not Dair to Grab combo to Fair

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
nothing immediately abusable.
cape.
dair to grab to fair to cape offstage and you've taken a stock against fox at ~30 percent, as well as the majority of the cast.

edit: @DMG true, he does have a lot of other possibilities other than dair -> combo. approaching fair, falling nair, dash attack to combos. hell, mario can even sit with his thumb up his arse spamming fireballs at most people until they come close enough to cstick spam. I'm not denying he has bad mus, but he's not #unviable like he was in meleeland

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
When I read Professor Pro's sig in my mind, I imagine a british butler with a bowtie with his hands clasped behind his back. And a smirk at the end.
And afterwards he asks you if you'd like any **** with that.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I imagine it closer to a 13 year old Halo kid

Who happens to spawn camp

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
When I read Professor Pro's sig in my mind, I imagine a british butler with a bowtie with his hands clasped behind his back. And a smirk at the end.
This must be describing the anti-Professor Pro.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
LOOOL It's been like that for like 3 years now back in my extreme troll days, I should really change it but I've been lazy and don't know what to replace it with :(

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Commission an artist to get a picture of snake and fox drinking tea and having a jolly good time.

This is the only option

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
Professor Pro has the most Chav laugh in the entire god damn world

"Ayh, hya, hya hya hya hya" -Professor Pro, 2013

And Toon Link is far more stupid than people give him credit for.
No, he clearly needs more guaranteed kill options from throws.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
He needs to frolic in the fields as a reminder that he's an innocent little boy, not a murderous machine of destruction and horror

D

Deleted member

There are no innocent children, just children who do a good job of hiding their true nature.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Marth always has fun. Your best shot to win, that doesn't involve hardcore training or maining, is probably Sheik. If your Fox is Mango, it's like a 100-0 MU Mango favor.

Link? Dunno. Old school answers would be Sheik and Falcon and Fox. Least amount of effort again would probably be Sheik. After the nerfs to Link's Dthrow, and the difference in Boomerang now from 2.1 --> 2.5, a few characters probably feel better vs him like DK. Mario and Ike might also not be fun but that's more gut feeling than "X link has a rough time with Y Mario/etc"

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Mango is only 100-0 if it isn't M2K on FD.
OR he's like 25-75 on days where he gets too aggressive and runs towards the ledge.
So basically, every other tournament it seems.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
What do you mean by decent?

There are a lot of characters that are probably decent vs Link. Are you sure you don't want someone that beats him?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ok G&W peoplez, who knew that you could cancel the early frames of Dash attack into a pivot grab?

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Yes, all five or so of us know quite a bit about our character.

I mean, HAMMER IS NUMBER 1 GUYS LET'S FIND HAMMER FIND OUT HAMMER WHAT HAMMER HAMMER DOES IN 2.6 NOW HAMMER.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
it took people forever to find out how his hammer works in 2.6 but gmaster171 finally got it. go pester him if youd rather not watch the stream recording

Vashimus

Smash Master
I think it's about time I actually posted my own tier list. Now I know some of you are against this, it's a bit depressing for myself that I'd be forced to place the characters in one of my favorite multiplayer games in order of viability, but I've played this game long enough with to get an overall feel of how the cast is. I've played this game for a long time with family members, friends, professional Smashers alike, and I consulted with them on the list, and for the most part, they agreed. Before you look at it, remember, my tier list is not the be-all end-all of all tier lists, nor is it set in stone. If you want to disagree with it, then by all means do so, I'm not stopping you. But please be respectful, and state your reasons on why you do disagree with the list, and I'll be happy to state my reasons, instead of just dismissing it immediately. You might show me something from a different perspective, but for right now, this list might be an eyesore for many of you. You have been warned.

So, now that we got that out of the way, without further ado, the list.

S+
Dronkey, Luna

S
Puss in Boots, Fiona (Human), Anthrax

A
Prince Charming, Captain Hook, Red Riding Hood, Donkey, Big Bad Wolf, Humpty Dumpty

B
Pinocchio, G-nome, Gingerbread Man, Robin Hood

C
Black Knight, Fiona (Ogre), Shrek, Cyclops, Quasimodo

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
it took people forever to find out how his hammer works in 2.6 but gmaster171 finally got it. go pester him if youd rather not watch the stream recording
The joke is, I'd rather jump into some lava than have another inevitable discussion about that ****ing move.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
God is good. Shrek is good. Shrek is God.

D

Deleted member

who's decent vs marth and link?

most of the characters do fine vs marth if you're playing correctly. if you make bad choices then marth is a monster who will feel impossible.

i'd recommend against using luigi, ganon, ness, DDD, ivysaur, and to a certain extent wario against marth. any other character should be fine provided that you play the match-up correctly and are playing someone that is near your own skill level.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
most of the characters do fine vs marth if you're playing correctly. if you make bad choices then marth is a monster who will feel impossible.

i'd recommend against using luigi, ganon, ness, DDD, ivysaur, and to a certain extent wario against marth. any other character should be fine provided that you play the match-up correctly and are playing someone that is near your own skill level.
Forgot Ness

Edit: !!!!!!

NESS IS THERE I'M BLIND 5 am

Leelue go to bed for me

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I need to learn the matchup(s), then (not sarcastic). In my experience, dashdance camping is really powerful against those characters, and Marth delivers there. Ivysaur and Wario are at great weights for Marth to combo the hell out of them, too.

D

Deleted member

I need to learn the matchup(s), then (not sarcastic). In my experience, dashdance camping is really powerful against those characters, and Marth delivers there. Ivysaur and Wario are at great weights for Marth to combo the hell out of them, too.
yeah generally having an opposing character that can move and attack faster than you can just move makes for a bad time. i haven't really seen how wario deals with marth in a bunch of aspects, but on the other hand the character is potent enough that i could probably be surprised.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wario gonna have to DACUS or something crazy to get in, it's too hard normally.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Wait, I'm dumb. I just realized that you meant those characters have a hard time. I can definitely attest to that, and I'm seriously considering picking up another character to reasonably manage against Marth.

Maybe 2.6 will alleviate some of the issues, though. We'll see.

Wario D-Smash is a solid tool to threaten dashdancing. I think spacing will end up revolving around it and/or DACUS in the future of that matchup...He doesn't have a lot of other stuff to worry a Marth doing his regular gameplan.

D

Deleted member

a stationary move is generally a poor way to deal with dashdancing if it's done correctly since the whole premise is to force the opponent to over-extend if they want to hit you while you're doing it, but then they can also exploit that commitment. the proper way to deal with dashdancing is to move prior to doing a non-committal attack to reduce the movement freedom and stage control that the dashdancing character has. if i'm marth and i'm dashdance camping you, as wario your best bet is to run at me during my dash away where grab/fair are less potent to cut off the amount of stage i have. if you're taking stage away from me, you're "winning" in that instance even if it doesn't feel like it. this is where like if you've heard m2k say "run extra far" this is what he's talking about. the main problem is that fair/grab are still a problem because marth can react to your dash in by wavedashing out of the dash and simply turning around to regain those options.

another thing i've seen from wario that might help is his side b / grab charge, since that works well with the whole running extra far thing and has a way of immediately putting the opposing character on the defensive. that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good option, just something that might work as opposed to nothing? i'm not really sure.

sadly the only experience i have was our free-play matches from apex where i was playing sheik and not marth but also playing effectively blind from a lack of character experience.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Well, D-Smash can be done straight out of a dash, which helps from the standpoint of how much range it realistically threatens.

Forward-B would be more useful if it weren't centered on his shoulder and negatively disjointed. Grab and D-Tilt generally stuff that sort of thing pretty handily. Trying to mix up for the dash grab is helpful, though Marth's long initial dash, good wavedash distance, crazy-good grab range, and Up-B invincibility go a long way in seriously reducing its effectiveness, in my experience. Neutral position is hell.

Top Bottom