• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Ganon, really? I know he now has a float and a better side B but are these really enough to push him from barely a high tier at best in Melee to a top tier in PM?
The float is the very least of what makes him ridiculous right now. The side B is huge, but it doesn't seem like anybody's using it right that I've seen. Frankly, he'd probably be high or top tier even without either, in my opinion.

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
We may not see the full potential of characters in this game because the skill pool of PM compared to Melee is much smaller.

Most Ganons are scrubby lol

Sardonyx

星黄泉
Significant playstyle shifts with a touch of the "less fun/interesting" that's come up in the last couple pages regarding other characters. She was already underrepresented in 3.02, the changes just diminished what little representation she had.

Also doesn't help that she has even to awful matchups against all the Melee top tiers. Spacies in particular are really hard for her.
That's sad to hear :/ thanks for the answer though

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Double jump land allows a frame 9 jab OoS. For things that are normally safe on shield due to spacing (ones that would require WD OoS, but aren't negative enough) you can dtilt OoS at 14. If any of this is incorrect, its the frame data thread which I don't really trust. Can't test atm.
testing it right now. Those are both correct, but require a frame perfect dj land oos. If you don't do it the first frame airborne add like 3 frames to when the hitbox comes out

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Have you tried di down and away from DDD? Problem is, at ledge it is a di trap with forward throw, if you di in he can regrab though and if your floatyish, I dont think there is a right answer. Then again, I play diddy, so don't catch the abuse as bad vs DDD and Rob. Rob's down throw is literally ganon's so best option is don't get grabbed.
ROB's dthrow is not literally ganons, it's not even close. ROB's grab is easier to land but at most percents you can only get off an upair or a fair neither of which generally kill until 130ish, especially if you know to just DI in stage so that you are as far from the blastzones as possible. Ganon's grab is way harder to land but his dthrow sends behind him slightly so no matter where you DI you are almost directly on top of him, and at most percents he can get upair fair or bair depending on DI, all of which kill earlier than ROB's upair

As for those saying there's no way to mitigate what you take from ROB's dthrow (looking at you @ DMG DMG ) that's kinda horse****. Everyone seems to think that you should DI to get as far away from ROB as possible but really that just allows him to carry momentum forward during his follow-up for additional follow-ups. Anything past low percent (super low percents he just utilt or regrab depending on your fall speed) you should either not DI or just DI in on ROB's dthrow. If you DI away, he can still hit you, and he carries momentum into the jump for the follow-up so the next follow-up is easier. If you don't DI, or DI in, ROB has to jump straight up and drift sideways to hit you, or do like a stranding forward/backward jump. He doesn't get much momentum from this, so if you DI the fair/upair down+away you usually get sent too far for a follow-up, or can land and shield before he can boost fair in or w/e. I try to have work arounds for people who know about this but the work arounds are super character- and percent- specific and generally just revolve around trying to use backair to send them farther at a lower angle so I can either get a regrab from the reverse hitbox of bair at low percents or set-up a better edgeguard at a lower percent without having to worry about DI ****ing up fair.

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
With tap jump, double jump land is fairly easy though. I noticed how easy when I kept getting upsmashes when i went for djc up airs. I can't tell if they are perfect or not, but its worth noting those airborne frames are protected by armor.

Foo

Smash Lord
I feel like ZSS is severely underrepresented. Some of my friends that maimed her in 3.02 dropped her in 3.5 for some reason, though I don't understand how her changes affected her playstyle.
If you want to know the answer to that, go to the zss boards and read the posts within a few months after 3.5 released. She incredibly different.

The main reason ZSS players are so rare is that 3.5 really alienated most of her playerbase. The second reason is that she doesn't really give people much incentive to pick her up. She turned into a dash dance camp character like falcon only minus the hype and she is really tough to solo main since she has a few really bad matchups against really popular characters. Most of her tough matchups from 3.02 went through 3.5 completely unscathed making them even harder. She's also kind of an odd character in a lot of attributes with some really tricky options (which is why I like her) and a lot of people are turned off by it casting it aside as "jank"

With tap jump, double jump land is fairly easy though. I noticed how easy when I kept getting upsmashes when i went for djc up airs. I can't tell if they are perfect or not, but its worth noting those airborne frames are protected by armor.
Tap jump for life! Sure it makes uptilts a little harder and short hop instant aerials really hard but it makes oos so friggin easy. (as well as zss up-b boosting.) I also find it makes comboing a little easier at times but that's probably just me. I use both methods of jumping constantly.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Tap jump is kind of an underrated option in PM. The expanded window on tap jump inputs is surprisingly useful, and not just for DJC characters.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
yeah, i use tap jump for ledge options a lot. it's also really really helpful for quick sh-uairs.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
As for those saying there's no way to mitigate what you take from ROB's dthrow (looking at you @ DMG DMG )
My post about mitigation wasn't aimed much at his Dthrow: I don't have many qualms with that throw. What I referred to was more about how he covers low/mid/high recoveries well, and how your DI/mitigation choices are super limited to avoid his flexibility in those spots. Dthrow to *insert attack* is pretty staple on a lot of characters, so that was aimed at his more exclusive strengths. Probably could have clarified a bit

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
I used to hate tap jump, but now I can't go back. DJC, OoS, and the general control you learn helps a lot. The only thing left I am fishy on is doing certain up b's when I don't want to use my jump, especially when you need to angle. So basically Yoshi, Mewtwo, and G&W.

jtm94

Smash Lord
GnW borderline requires that you turn off tap jump so you don't expend DJ when you don't want to. UpB oos is incredibly easy without tap jump, just flick up both fingers and hit c-stick + joystick up and then hit B. I still use tap jump for spacies and Ness when I use them.

ZSS is weird man. I also see a lot of bias/animosity surrounding her. Some people play her and say she's dumb, some say she's terrible now, and a lot just quit her entirely lessening the already small pool of players. What are the MUs that keep her from excelling currently? Does she do well against any of the popular characters at least?

Foo

Smash Lord
GnW borderline requires that you turn off tap jump so you don't expend DJ when you don't want to. UpB oos is incredibly easy without tap jump, just flick up both fingers and hit c-stick + joystick up and then hit B. I still use tap jump for spacies and Ness when I use them.

ZSS is weird man. I also see a lot of bias/animosity surrounding her. Some people play her and say she's dumb, some say she's terrible now, and a lot just quit her entirely lessening the already small pool of players. What are the MUs that keep her from excelling currently? Does she do well against any of the popular characters at least?
A lot of the people who say she "sucks" just mean that they don't think she's viable to solo main. Also, a lot of people (including myself) are frustrated with moves like fair and upsmash simply not working correctly.

The main matchups she struggles with are all the spacies and falcon. She has no good vertical launchers to combo them, so she has to rely almost entirely on tech chases, gimps, and spamming spaced bair to do things. She's also a really good combo weight for them, especially falcon (upthrow basically always works and when it doesn't, upthrow upair or dthrow knee kills. He can also do his normal combos very well against her). She also has very poor oos options so they can just kinda do whatever to your shield. (there's a lot more to the matchups than that, but I don't want to write it all out atm) These are the matchups where it feels like you just straight up can't play her because you just will lose to players worse than you.

Other doable but unfavorable matchups against popular characters are sheik (we placed her at -3 on the zss boards), and roy (only about -1, though there was lots of debate). I also think she loses considerably hard to marth, but no one really agreed. I can't tell if the marths they are playing against just don't play the matchup correctly or edgeguard at all, or if I am just not good against marth. It's probably some of both.

However, she does have some favorable matchups. We think she has a slight edge (+1) on both rob and samus. I think she beats peach, but nobody agreed with that. She also does really well against ganon and absolutely stomps d3. And finally, she seems to go around even with lucario, mario, and ike.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
People have problems with G&W's Up-B and tap jump?

It's probably because I've never used anything besides tap jump but I.. dunno.. just.. tilt the analog stick if I don't want to waste my jump? Doesn't seem to be that much of a problem.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Have you tried di down and away from DDD? Problem is, at ledge it is a di trap with forward throw, if you di in he can regrab though and if your floatyish, I dont think there is a right answer. Then again, I play diddy, so don't catch the abuse as bad vs DDD and Rob. Rob's down throw is literally ganon's so best option is don't get grabbed.
Pretty sure Fair hits you either way. Will double check later.

People have problems with G&W's Up-B and tap jump?

It's probably because I've never used anything besides tap jump but I.. dunno.. just.. tilt the analog stick if I don't want to waste my jump? Doesn't seem to be that much of a problem.
Much easier said than done. It gets easier once you've practiced it but it still puts a bit of mental stress on you.

It's like being TLink/Link and AGT spamming to recover and "hoping" you don't mess up and input a fast fall for Down B.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Idk i once used custom controls but I hated being "that guy" so i just raw-dogged it. Never understood issues with tap jump, I really find it useful.

Ganon's probably really good but still nothing more than a midtier or a bit higher. Thing with PM is that all the characters are relatively close and matchups/characters are so under developed that at most locals tiers really don't matter.

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
@ Foo Foo
Fair doesn't work in what way? Like the hits just don't connect? Sounds like Link's bair that doesn't link...
I can see that as pretty rough having tough MUs against the some of the most represented characters. That basically lines up with how I felt about her already.

I learned to play without expending my double jump, but it was a needless precaution because I can perform better without tap jump by not worrying or hesitating as much. I absolutely detest every input that is non-hard. Tilts are fine I suppose, but things like shield dropping that aren't just pressing down but going down at a weird rate but not all the way down mess me up. I also used to tap jump to SH uair, but if you sh with tap jump and input up on the c stick you can get fullhops as well. The biggest hit that I took was my ledge game because jumping with tap jump at the ledge is very easy after fastfalling off, but I worked around taking tap jump off in 3 days time and I still use it effectively for characters that need it. As for changing controls I already need to do that for DACUS, so I may as well change everything I can.(Yeah you can DACUS with Z now, but I have no other use for R atm)

Oh and the other problems are that it's hard to execute max horizontal distance UpB with tap jump on because it's already a slight input but as soon as you UpB you need to either move the joystick or c stick maximum left/right. That and the fact that I often UpB immediately after a bucket stall makes it all the more difficult because jumping isn't so much a distance of the joystick moving up, but a rate. So if you DownB you need to move the joystick up slowly to not DJ and it's just too much hassle when I can turn it off.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
That's what I meant by tap jump and G&W, getting max angles isn't easy without losing your jump. Difficult in that with little practice, I mess up sometimes and I don't get the fair kill.

Bazkip

Smash Master
Okay @ Frost | Odds Frost | Odds frankly this is getting absurd. You've now claimed several times that Ganon is somehow one of the best characters in the game yet you've provided exactly nothing to back that up.

PM Ganon is essentially Melee Ganon + Float + Flame Choke + polish. Now that's definitely a very healthy serving of polish, but things such as improved ftilt/upB/downB/spotdodge, faster jumpsquat, usable utilt, semi kill throw f-throw etc. are nice and make him a more solid character overall, but aren't exactly redefining his metagame. There isn't much improvement to be had with the usage of these.

Dthrow is ****ing bonkers, but it's massively mitigated by the fact that Ganon doesn't really have the ability to get grabs. Still think it's badly designed though, as I've stated in the past I believe dthrow should be nerfed and his grab range increased.

Recovery covers more distance and there's a couple more options/mixups here but still edgeguarding him is more or less the same. It's not particularly difficult to cover all the options, I don't think there's anyone in the cast that struggles with this.

There is more than just the float and flame choke for potential of course, outside of Vex last version nobody's getting a ton of use out of dacus, and it's definitely a potent punish tool. Autocancel nair has applications as safe on shield/low-committal pokes that we're aware of but haven't quite implemented fully yet.

So we've got 4 things with untapped potential, a handful of new options and a variety of improved options. But we also still have all the exploitable weaknesses he's always had, he's slow, high commitment, easy to combo, not particularly hard to edgeguard, has no answer to rushdown/pressure/projectiles. These haven't been mitigated much. I don't see how this is possibly a recipe for top/high tier. Solid mid-tier? Definitely. But no way above that. Ganon also still gets destroyed by Fox. Isn't at least not losing too badly to Fox a prerequisite for being top tier? He also struggles with most of the agreed upon top/high tier as well.

I do agree that Ganon mains have a lot to improve on...as players in general. We need to stop going for flashy stuff and instead work on playing a more strong fundamental game. Basically, play less like Bizzarro and more like Kage lol.

I feel like I've kinda gone into incoherent rambling on a bunch of loosely related things so tl;dr: yeah Ganon mains need to step up our game, and yeah there's definitely room for more optimal play, but with his weaknesses there's simply no way the potential extends all the way up to top tier. Unless there's something so crazy that nobody has figured out yet except you, but I highly doubt that.

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
Yea ganon's pretty good, but like the bane of many fat characters, he's a real slow tubster

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
@ Foo Foo
Fair doesn't work in what way? Like the hits just don't connect? Sounds like Link's bair that doesn't link...
I can see that as pretty rough having tough MUs against the some of the most represented characters. That basically lines up with how I felt about her already.
Basically. If you are traveling with any upwards or downward momentum they will just fall out of it. If you are traveling forwards at full speed you'll go past them so you generally have to try to not ever hit the first hit, but ending a combo with a frame 16 move can be impossible at times. Keep in mind, this isn't counting SDI, this is against an inputless opponent. It'd be fine if it were like fox upair where the two hitboxes were two frames apart, but there is between 7 and 10 frames. (first hit frame 6-9, second hit frames 16-20). It really shouldn't be multihit tbh, and be more like diddy fair, sheik fair, roy bair, ike bair, luigi fair, knee, ganon fair, mewtwo fair, zard fair, etc. etc. etc. where you can end a combo with a non-multihit move. (upsmash has the same issue. It has no vacuum (or next to no vacuum), so if you hit it while in run, you will usually start sliding while they stay where they are and fall out of it)

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
That's what I meant by tap jump and G&W, getting max angles isn't easy without losing your jump. Difficult in that with little practice, I mess up sometimes and I don't get the fair kill.
Use the c stick to get the max horizontal upb

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
Basically. If you are traveling with any upwards or downward momentum they will just fall out of it. If you are traveling forwards at full speed you'll go past them so you generally have to try to not ever hit the first hit, but ending a combo with a frame 16 move can be impossible at times.
coughCaptainFalcon'sNAircough.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
why do I keep seeing people say that ZSS' up-smash doesn't work properly? people fall out due to SDI, not because of the move

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
why do I keep seeing people say that ZSS' up-smash doesn't work properly? people fall out due to SDI, not because of the move
They want it to Catch and Tumble them in a hellish amount of Damage, not to attempt to Carry only to have them SDI and stare at you still twirling about like an idiot before they punish the move being used for its intended purpose and failing miserably at it.

I actually like ZSSamus in 3.5 a lot. I HATED Tether Grab with a passion, understand thoroughly how much it helped her Spacie and Neutral game, but I love FThrow's sudden Push and like the different ways DThrow helps as well. My answer to Spacies (as much of one as she has anyways) is while using your dash dance game, hoping away or towards while throwing Side B out at them. That Medium spaced distance is so good/important to her. and the stun/pull it does gives you them up close without the instant "OH SH-" of them making your shield cry.

If I miss anything at all from past ZSSamus, it's a little bit about NAir (HB Size, KB and DS changes), but 90% about Dash Cancelled Stun/Paralyzer being removed.

WHYY. It wasn't even OP, but for a character like her that Needed the options like covering the ground and air space while she approaches because if They approach instead she's going to be in a blast zone It was something she just needed DDD;

Not even a ZSS Main/Secondary, learned as much as I could to share with my younger brother [aka the student] and He now plays Squirtle. I play Peach. at least ZSSamus has a similar UAir to C.Falc, but Squirtle?? /RANT
:T

EDIT: on the FAir subject, I like being able to use it as a Visual Timing Tool and I semi belive the weak first kick, that I aim to miss 9/10 times, scares my opponent. the following kick either grants me their stock, or catches them off guard. Times I USE the first Kick are usually 1/2th the time Never to use the 2nd, but similar in the way Links FAir's 2nd Hit causes a different hit altogether that doesn't kill, the 1st Kick gives me something to get a really quick minor amount of hit stun on them to follow it up upon L Cancel with something better. Kinda like watching a Fox carry you SHFFLing across all of PS1, you'll see a few of those NAirs actually be FAir's 1st Kick, and we all know how Not-Falco's Fox's FAir is. i mean amirite?!

Last edited:

Sardonyx

星黄泉
Tbh, SDI modifiers should obviously be a thing, but not to the point where you can punish someone while the attack itself is still happening (using the ZSS up smash as an example)

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
^^ Point exactly. I've had Fox and Falco both SDI on as far in as the 3rd hit of USmash and still have time to punish me.
From a pretty accurately placed Spot-On USmash, too.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Or you could...use the move intelligibly. They aren't going to punish you if you catch them landing on a platform with it for example. Multi-hit moves by nature can be punished if SDI'd out of, this is true of many characters with them. It's an inherent weakness of having one, the plus side being damage and hitbox disruption(or active frames), as well as versatility for ones you can cut short. ZSS upsmash is not a great move..that doesn't mean it's broken.

Last edited:

Sardonyx

星黄泉
Or you could...use the move intelligibly. They aren't going to punish you if you catch them landing on a platform with it for example. Multi-hit moves by nature can be punished if SDI'd out of, this is true of many characters with them. It's an inherent weakness of having one, the plus side being damage and hitbox disruption(or active frames), as well as versatility for ones you can cut short. ZSS upsmash is not a great move..that doesn't mean it's broken.
What if you're on, let's say, FD and you want to try and land it. Why should it be practically unusable just because there's no platforms? Otherwise it's only use would be if they're coming down from being high up and you throw it out early to catch them with the last hitbox.

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
Them's fightin' words, bruiser!

EDIT: true, but the distance of the move and being fixed into place cause it's problem to be just different enough from other characters SDI-able moves to note it as enough of a problem. It works well against the latter half of common tier lists, but the FF'ers and Spacies just do not allow you to carry them/rack up the damage.

Last edited:

Ya Boy GP

Smash Apprentice
What if you're on, let's say, FD and you want to try and land it. Why should it be practically unusable just because there's no platforms? Otherwise it's only use would be if they're coming down from being high up and you throw it out early to catch them with the last hitbox.
Lol you said it's unusable on FD and then gave a use for it.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Why do you want to try and land a move just to land it? Not all moves are useful in all situations, and some have very niche uses. Spacies fairs for example were long thought to be useless, but in the past couple of years have found niche uses in their combo game. Not every move needs to do everything everywhere, it's ok for some to be mediocre most of the time.

Last edited:

Sardonyx

星黄泉
Why do you want to try and land a move just to land it? Not all moves are useful in all situations, and some have very niche uses. Spacies fairs for example were long thought to be useless, but in the past couple of years have found niche uses in their combo game. Not every move needs to do everything everywhere, it's ok for some to be mediocre most of the time.
Fair enough.

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
Landing a move to land it aside, I like the idea of trying to keep an opponent airborn 1-2 times to throw Up B instead and have them get caught off guard being instantly thrown onto the ground in front of me vs being in the air trying to get away.

Top Bottom