• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

MLGF

Smash Lord
3.5 Sonic has to have some semblance of a neutral, so that's always fun.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
False. WW/YS/FoD(Mostly WW) made Bowser borderline playable even in 3.0.
WW was 100% created by some raging-boner Bowser player, there is no other explanation for the stage. I pray to suckerai that I don't face Bowser there each morning, as the sun rises and all is still peaceful in the world.

GabPR

Smash Lord
I agree. I was prepped for another Sonic overhaul in 3.5. The PMDT didn't really deliver. Now he's just less fun to play and no one still likes fighting him. I'm awaiting the day when down B gets scrapped and turned into something cool. Maybe an iteration of his side B in brawl minus or something, just less broken. All of his other special moves are okay for the most part imo.
Personally I find 3.5 Sonic much more rewarding to play. In 3.0 he was really good, but in all honesty he had moves that were really risk free in a lot of the cast, set up kill combos across the stage, and then comeback. (watch Ripple vs Wizzrobe, while it is not bad to a character to have bad matchups... they should not be as one sided). It took away that "wow" factor to much of his gameplay and made it felt not so rewarding to do. He still has good combos, a good punish game, good recovery compared to the rest of the cast and a lot of interesting setups which I'm still learning about (many were available in 3.0, but some of his b moves were so polarizing that people did not bother to experiment and look further into his stuff). Thanks to some of his move being not as polarizing as before, In my country people are also finding Sonic to be much more tolerable and fun to fight again as well (I am the only Sonic here btw).

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
nah, people tried too hard to do stuff to you

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I tried too. I have no idea where the feetage is, try TourneyLocator's page on Twitch or Youtube perhaps (unless poop-acle was traveling somewhere???)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I tried too. I have no idea where the feetage is, try TourneyLocator's page on Twitch or Youtube perhaps (unless poop-acle was traveling somewhere???)
Twitch archives have them, but they're not on YT yet since it happened yesterday.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
SB with the best answer

That I already knew

Since SB = DMG

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
What do you guys think about G&W now??? Honestly seeing the changes i though he was going to be worse, but considering everything he can stand for his own now. Last week i placed 2nd on a big tournament here in Chile and i am not that good.

http://www.twitch.tv/usmash/b/596346689 <<< Around 8 hours 42 minutes, playing Winners semis and Winners Finals, then i play Losers Final around 9:33:00

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
I saw some talk of Marth and Roy earlier in the thread but it was hard to follow. Is Roy better than Marth now?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Well Marth is low tier so yes

Edit: Double checked, he's still there

Last edited:

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
Either a sarcastic or asinine one.

Marth is fine, he just requires some semblance of skill to use.
But Roy is better if both are played at a high level, right? I'm only asking because I used to be a Roy main, and i'm contemplating whether to bother picking him up again.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
My opinion on that count would be pretty irrelevant. The popular point of view right now is that Roy is better, which is pretty reasonable. Marth is still fine.

I don't see much point in playing both, regardless.

Foo

Smash Lord
What do you guys think about G&W now??? Honestly seeing the changes i though he was going to be worse, but considering everything he can stand for his own now. Last week i placed 2nd on a big tournament here in Chile and i am not that good.

http://www.twitch.tv/usmash/b/596346689 <<< Around 8 hours 42 minutes, playing Winners semis and Winners Finals, then i play Losers Final around 9:33:00
I doubt too many people here will agree, but I think G&W is ridiculous this patch. He was decent last patch and received almost straight buffs where almost everyone, even olimar, got big nerfs. He has a really good combo game, stellar recovery, tons and tons of disjoint etc. He has his fair share of weaknesses, but not too many to keep him from being really good. He's also a major pain to play against if you don't know the matchup, because his hitboxes and animations are only loosely related.

I saw some talk of Marth and Roy earlier in the thread but it was hard to follow. Is Roy better than Marth now?
That's the general consensus, but I'm not sure it's true. Marth has more range, more speed, better wavedash etc. but roy has MUCH better kill pressure, insane combos and matches up slightly better vs the higher tier characters imo. I personally have no trouble against roy, but struggle a lot against marth, but maybe I'm just bad.

Imo, could go either way, but roy is probably a tad better.

@ Frost | Odds Frost | Odds You mean not much point in one player using both, not anyone using either, right?

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Gnw with bacon that was actually useful in the way other projectiles are for approaching would be too stupid good. Right now he is strong though, just a lot of characters walk all over him with far better pressure/spacing games.

I love gnw, but if I wanted to play CC> dtilt the character, I'd play Roy and do 2x better

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Roy is easier to play, and people like meaty hits instead of finesse. Roy's the kind of character where you can Sloppy Joe the other person and not always die.

You get in their face, press some buttons, hold down sometimes, random Fsmash here and there...

It's nasty, it's raw, undercooked and sloppy and just unspectacular on all fronts, and you're not sure what's happening but they are dying so you roll with it.

Playing Roy is kind of like that if you're not the top echelon of Roy players, and for whatever reason IT ATTRACTS PEOPLE! So not Kawaii, everyone should play Marth instead!

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Roy is easier to play, and people like meaty hits instead of finesse. Roy's the kind of character where you can Sloppy Joe the other person and not always die.

You get in their face, press some buttons, hold down sometimes, random Fsmash here and there...

It's nasty, it's raw, undercooked and sloppy and just unspectacular on all fronts, and you're not sure what's happening but they are dying so you roll with it.

Playing Roy is kind of like that if you're not the top echelon of Roy players, and for whatever reason IT ATTRACTS PEOPLE! So not Kawaii, everyone should play Marth instead!
My story of Roy begins with a simple Uair. Then about 20 more uairs.

Eventually I hit them with a different move and they die.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Gnw with bacon that was actually useful in the way other projectiles are for approaching would be too stupid good. Right now he is strong though, just a lot of characters walk all over him with far better pressure/spacing games.

I love gnw, but if I wanted to play CC> dtilt the character, I'd play Roy and do 2x better
Yeah, he lost a lot without the bacon walls he used to have, now i only see myself throwing Bacon for retreating rather approaching. I feel he is stronger this patch but still, a decent Space Animal could just faceroll over him.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I doubt too many people here will agree, but I think G&W is ridiculous this patch. He was decent last patch and received almost straight buffs where almost everyone, even olimar, got big nerfs.
You mean like the bacon nerf, UpSmash damage/KOability nerf, Upsmash endlag nerf, and bucket recovery stalling nerf? And 9 nerf in the context of minor/negligible buffs to other still basically useless hammers lol. The only real "buff" he got was how the bucket works. It's deadly against every projectile instead of just most now.

Foo

Smash Lord
You mean like the bacon nerf, UpSmash damage/KOability nerf, Upsmash endlag nerf, and bucket recovery stalling nerf? And 9 nerf in the context of minor/negligible buffs to other still basically useless hammers lol. The only real "buff" he got was how the bucket works. It's deadly against every projectile instead of just most now.
Upsmash nerf isn't a big deal since that move wasn't really that useful anyway, bacon is a nerf but also has new uses now, 9 hammer nerf is nearly irrelevant especially since the other hammers were buffed slightly, and the bucket stall nerf isn't important because stalling with bucket barely helped your recovery and left you so vunerable that you were basically begging to swatted out of the air.

As for buffs, he got much more than a bucket buff.

Uptilt comes out 22% faster,
up air is a better early combo tool and can kill at high %s,
jab has slightly higher range
get up attack/rolls etc got buffed.

I'd actually say game and watch improved slightly from 3.02, which is a big deal compared almost everyone else being much worse. It's amplified when so much of what he struggled with was removed. Sure, bacon took a hit (but thank god that brainless spam !@#$ is gone), but it's still a pretty good projectile.

Eh, I don't think that's a fair comparison. I play both, and they feel almost nothing alike, though they have some similar attributes. It'd be like saying "why play ZSS when I can play Captain Falcon?"

Last edited:

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Upsmash nerf isn't a big deal since that move wasn't really that useful anyway, bacon is a nerf but also has new uses now, 9 hammer nerf is nearly irrelevant especially since the other hammers were buffed slightly, and the bucket stall nerf isn't important because stalling with bucket barely helped your recovery and left you so vunerable that you were basically begging to swatted out of the air.

As for buffs, he got much more than a bucket buff.

Uptilt comes out 22% faster,
up air is a better early combo tool and can kill at high %s,
jab has slightly higher range
get up attack/rolls etc got buffed.

I'd actually say game and watch improved slightly from 3.02, which is a big deal compared almost everyone else being much worse. It's amplified when so much of what he struggled with was removed. Sure, bacon took a hit (but thank god that brainless spam !@#$ is gone), but it's still a pretty good projectile.

Eh, I don't think that's a fair comparison. I play both, and they feel almost nothing alike, though they have some similar attributes. It'd be like saying "why play ZSS when I can play Captain Falcon?"
Upsmash nerf is a big deal, Dacus is indeed useful for GnW, its a combo if you read a Dthrow and it comboes from Dash Attack/Gatling, vs spacies you could do a Gatling and kill them at around 80%, which no longer happens.

9 Nerf is not irrelevant, is incredible relevant, now it only kills at most, 20% earlier than other more safe, not random options.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Saying the usmash nerf doesn't matter is kind of shallow. On floatier characters that U-throw -> Nair doesn't work as a KO combo, G&W struggles to KO and DACUS was a powerful way to land them. Now it's worse and more punishable on whiff.
U-tilt still sucks.
U-air is actually worse; it stops comboing a lot earlier, it was really easy to do things like uthrow uair nair at KO percents to a lot of characters. It also doesn't beat CC at 0 anymore.
Bacon is actually garbage, I never use it unless someone is above me, meaning I've already won neutral and they're in a bad position, which isn't the purpose of projectiles in Smash. It was ONLY good because you could set up bacon walls that some characters couldn't deal with if you had ~2 seconds of time, which you didn't have against the fast characters anyway.

Rest of your points are fair, although his rolls and spotdodges are still very sub-par in PM.

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
No...

Even Bond Villains have more respect for their minion's lives than Ripple does for his Waddles
I always see D3's recovery as something like this: http://youtu.be/wGuBTlJDki8?t=21s

@ Strong Badam Strong Badam I didn't say it didn't matter, I said it wasn't a big deal. While upsmash wasn't an unviable move, it wasn't a great move. Maybe I haven't watched enough G&W, but I generally saw it used not even once per game.

Uptilt being buffed matters at least as much as 9 hammer being nerfed. Frame 7 upward sweep can't be that bad.

While upair doesn't combo for as long, it combos super well at earlier %s. It's a trade off, but I have found the new upair to be better since it has next to no lag. As for CC, I don't see it being that relevant. Don't think you'd ever upair a grounded opponent unless they are on a platform above you, and if they are above you, why wouldn't the just shield? I don't see that being relevant outside of extreme circumstances.

As for the new bacon, I haven't played around with it too much, but it seems to be a decent approach. I've played against someone who occasionally jumps at me and bacons. The first bacon kept me from intercepting him, and the second one along with the flip hitbox hit my shield. I'm not positive, but it seemed like it was plus on shield. I can't say for sure because I haven't used it enough yet, but it seems good. It just serves a totally different purpose than it did before, and a different purpose than most projectiles in the game.

Yeah, his spotdodges, rolls etc. are sub-par, but they are better than they were last patch.

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord

I don't know if you know this, but the new bacon being able to fast fall is usable in that sense. It's pretty dang good.

Top Bottom