• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

D

Deleted member

as of recently, toonlinks placing in PM reminds me of brawl. In brawl, he was either the best mid tier or worst "high tier"
thats kind of how I think he is in PM, Tink is pretty much the best mid tier. He beats everyone thats below him, but he has 45-55's/40-60s vs pretty much the entire top 10 of the game lol.
i kept saying that TL isn't that good and i was getting a lot of flak for it, but the truth is you really don't want to be disadvantaged in a bracket against the characters you expect to play against the most commonly, aka the characters that win the most.

/tier bias

D

Deleted member

part of my success is probably due to the fact that TX plays some pretty garbo characters, besides the tier whores like denti/ivy, infinity/mk, aerolink/link, and luck/diddy

MLGF

Smash Lord
While I've had some Diddy frustration, I'm unsure if it's because he's OP or because Brawl Diddy can be applied rather easily compared to other good Brawl characters.

...But Barrel Jets are dumb no matter what.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Played against a Diddy this weekend in friendlies
Misfire barrels combo'd me three hits and sent me offstage to my death
RIP Marth 0-100 matchup.

D

Deleted member

I think she could possibly be like 9th-10th in the game, I think there are definitely better characters though.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
waddle dashing pretty much turns D3's great vertical recovery and iffy horizontal recovery into great vertical and horizontal recovery, you can overextend pretty hard with it if you feel like it

otherwise it seems far too heavy to setup for normal neutral use? also, gordo existing kind of nerfs waddle dashing by virtue of being uncontrollable RNG that can mess up your recovery, so that's fun

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
and that's why I think waddledashing is dumb and totally unnecessary

ddd is fun though, I can't wait to play him in 3.5 where he'll be relatively good

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
DDD is really not as bad as people (ripple) make him out to be, but he just does not know what the hell a neutral matchup is

he's either casually strolling through your skull or never getting anything done ever

1FD

Smash Ace
What I'm interested in hearing specifically is what you think he can execute while retreating that makes him more threatening than the rest of the cast when consistently avoiding semi-disadvantageous spacing.
Think of it more like a Pika/Fox. It's not attacking while in the process of retreating that's a big deal (Link style), it's how anytime he's near or far from you, you can get instantly approached by something that could lead to your death, so you have to chase him. Just like fighting Fox/Pika, they can just go wherever they want without a big deal, and you gotta deal with whatever they do/make them fight for it.

DD game isn't just dash speed. DJC instant Fair without losing position/movement/committing at all, is just as much of the DD game as anything. Just like SH Nairs from Pika/Fox is.
Copypaste from the dat smash thread on smashmods
This will cover the core part of movement in the game for all characters. It’s the technique base that’s key in the transitional game, from the neutral game to approaching or evading.

The Dash Dance is at the root of this, but the Dash Dance game is not limited to the basic DD. To DD does not mean to run back and forth repeatedly in and out of range. That’s at its simplest form and only the starting block.

To DD means to be able to control your exact position on the ground at all times, accurately and instantly. Whether it’s short bursts of movement between two point, long fluid movement over a great distance with many directional changes, or any other variation of ground covering movements with full control.

For this, the dash game includes the basic DD, but also involves everything from going for Grabs, Shielding, Wave Dashing, Pivoting, and more situational tools like Moon Walking or Dash Turn-Arounds, and even using Aerials or empty jumps in the mix.

What the end goal of practising the dash game or neutral game implies, is that those options are in fluidity and motion, never faltering when you’re in a tight spot or have free space. Every action among all of those options offensively or defensively is the Dash Dance game, when not on offense or defence, it’s the foundation of the neutral game.

Each of these has to be fluent and easy with no unintentional spaces between. The accuracy will come with time, but if any of the ground mobility options aren’t comfortable or are still weak and being worked on, then there is work to do there with technical practice. The intent is to have as close to perfect accuracy with your movements as you can. So as long as you’re working towards this when a lack of it somewhere in you game catches your attention, then you’re on your way.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Diddy is nonsense for sure. His options are amazing. And UpB shouldn't be an option to KO, meteor, and recover/gimp. That will go in the patch to make edgeguarding more rewarding for sure. While on the topic I hate that Sonic can almost edgeguard me while I'm edgeguarding him. Sheik fair at 130% doesn't KO Sonic at the edge and he can still recover. I don't want it to be stronger, I just want characters who stay down.

DDD is large, heavy, with a good recovery. That makes him hard to KO and impossibro to gimp. He's a fair character in this wacky game we play.

Ivy could be top 10 still. Probably more around 15 she's pretty cheezy, but she lost all of the really broke stuff last round.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I only say DDD is bad because he has an unwinnable match up with ivy. Otherwise he can manage everyone else.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
You may have forgotten about Fair/Ftilt/Grab/Zair/he doesn't need anything else when his movement in something like fsmash is probably faster to connect with than most character's neutral game options (lol why does EVERYTHING make Ganon just sound more and more terrible when thinking about it)
PS Lucas shouldn't ever get hit (EVER) because he doesn't have to. I don't like the way most Lucas's play because they jump into obviously bad situations as if they can get away with anything. Some of that is because they can ALMOST get away with everything and the reward is so high for the risk, but it won't last long term.
You do have a strong point there, but I fear you also do let out some important factors. While Lucas has some decent neutral game options with range, those generally involve the jumping you criticize in the second part. For Lucas, the minimum vulnerability after landing is very low because of the magnet but still something like that counts.
One strategy I like against Lucas is to move up to his range in a way he can't catch you with fair/nair, then shield and WD back again. Sometimes you mix in an attack. Even CCs are sometimes possible with this. This is a known tool in general but doesn't get enough credit in the Lucas matchup, helps to not get hit by the combo starters.

While I do not agree Lucas shouldn't get hit ever (projectile approaches + the curse of a non-zero reaction time), I agree I based my conclusions too much on actual play instead of theorycrafting, after dealing a bit with more optimized Lucas options it is clear that he can avoid more than I initially thought.
Lucas' mobility is simehow overrated, and his location-based versatility is, too. His duration-based versatility is great indeed.

steelguttey

mei is bei
waddle dashing is very very good against projectile spam if there is a ledge around

if you get a waddle out its basically letting you get a free crossup nair or bair or just a free grab. ****s silly

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
I only say DDD is bad because he has an unwinnable match up with ivy. Otherwise he can manage everyone else.
Agreed. I'm pretty sure Zard has the best matchup against Ivy of the fatties, and it's still pretty unwinnable. Up throw to aerial up B just destroys fatties. It's guaranteed and kills around 60% for Zard :(

Not to mention the up B forces you to air dodge when coming down from a juggle... or try to drift off stage and go for the ledge... but then you get to contend with her bair. I think her up B is the main problem though (particularly the aerial version, but both are absurd). The hitboxes are just way too big.

I think the large hitbox at all frames (21, 22, 23, 24, and 25) are all her sweetspot, but I'm not sure. Even if it's only the one at 25 it's large enough to be hard to avoid. Keep in mind she can up b in either direction regardless of which way she's facing when she jumps.

Edit: The sweetspot seems to be the two highest hitboxes on all active frames. So really big. Also to clarify, Zard gets killed around 60% or a little after (depends on stage or stage position) when he gets GRABBED at 60%, so the up B is hitting him high-ish on the stage and I'm being hit after taking the up throw damage (so @ around 70ish%)

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
Couldn't you just throw out a hitbox when DDD Waddle Dashes so he ends up colliding with it?

And I've been complaining about Ivy's UpB for far too long. I just learned to accept the punishment because no one else cared. It just bothers me that the sweetspot covers more space than the sour spot. That's why we have a running joke where we call it the, "regular hitbox" that also has a small sour spot. I don't think it's as strong as I used to think though, but it's definitely potent.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Couldn't you just throw out a hitbox when DDD Waddle Dashes so he ends up colliding with it?
you could, but if DDD doesn't dash then he'll hit you with a f-tilt or he'll get you with a dash grab

TreK

Is "that guy"
Real talk, Ivy's up B being guaranteed to hit on fatties and guaranteed not to hit on floaties after a grab makes it one of the reasons why Ivysaur's matchups are so heavily polarized.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
Can fatties not DI inwards for Up-Throw and DI outwards for D-Throw like other characters?

Learning new things in Tier List Speculation every 5 days.
They cannot. It doesn't move you far enough, they still get hit cause they're fat. I think we can DI dthrow out and get out but up throw works at a broad range of percents regardless of DI and this range overlaps a good deal with kill percents.

Even if up throw were changed though, up B would still destroy fatties cause they can't get past it w/o air dodge in the juggle situation. The move just needs to have way smaller hitboxes and should probably not have active hitboxes until it reaches that diagonal.

Last edited:

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
Think of it more like a Pika/Fox. It's not attacking while in the process of retreating that's a big deal (Link style), it's how anytime he's near or far from you, you can get instantly approached by something that could lead to your death, so you have to chase him. Just like fighting Fox/Pika, they can just go wherever they want without a big deal, and you gotta deal with whatever they do/make them fight for it
Eh, I honestly see that as more of a generalization of what I was discussing rather than something different. I'm not talking about hopping back and throwing stuff out to cover your ass Link-style, I'm talking about dashing back when your opponent enters an awkward spacing zone, and stopping precisely where and when you want to punish, usually through jumping/pivots/turnarounds (this is basically a "retreat" as the term would be used in, say, fencing, rather than military tactics, sorry for my confusing terminology).

Every maneuver in the DD game, dashing or not, works towards setting up a distinct action that ends neutral. This DD/neutral endgame is theoretically where commitments should be happening, so if Lucas isn't committing, yet transitions into punishes, the precise reversals out of neutral movement that make this possible may deserve to be understood more instead of being glossed over, so the actual root of the issue can be discussed.
In fact, Lucas' exceptionally powerful options (e.g. DJC, which essentially offers him an expanded pseudo-pivot game, or the zair/grab combined coverage I mentioned earlier) all tend to apply as something you want to decisively end neutral with rather than delay until things happen; he just doesn't have the speed or hitbox coverage to disengage indefinitely without being cornered.

DD game isn't just dash speed. DJC instant Fair without losing position/movement/committing at all, is just as much of the DD game as anything. Just like SH Nairs from Pika/Fox is.
I implied that it wasn't just dash speed, myself, which is why I brought up pivots, DJC, RAR, etc. It still means that, when compared to other, faster characters, Lucas is starting with a measurable disadvantage, because he can't hang back as far, and takes longer to space, leaving less time to punish. I sort of view it as Lucas gaining less leverage in spacing for each micro-action he takes, thus setting up his desired endgame less rapidly and with more effort.

Also, I think that you might be exaggerating DJC fair's control a little bit. It's only 0 at best on shield, and maintaining safety requires that you follow up with magnet or back off (i.e. lose positioning), assuming your opponent lacks frame 5 OoS or faster. If it allows WD back or even a jump from your opponent to become difficult options to chase, wouldn't that be a loss of movement, too?

Last edited:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Nausicca on point with the callouts on SH aerial to midstage. That **** gets you wrecked.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Real talk, Ivy's up B being guaranteed to hit on fatties and guaranteed not to hit on floaties after a grab makes it one of the reasons why Ivysaur's matchups are so heavily polarized.
Uh, if you want to call 50/50 or autowin 'polarized', sure. It technically is, but usually that would imply a lot of badly losing matchups. Ivy has none.

Top Bottom