• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Yo overswarm don't take this the wrong way but I really think you aren't using the character right
like if you're having trouble edge guarding then you probably aren't doing it right lol gyro covers really low options and/or forces them to move out of the way, laser covers high options except for the highest, up-b covers the highest, fair lingering and ending quickly covers like everything else lol
you don't really even need bair

ROB is definitely not on melee bowser's level or even close lol

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931

ROB is a big *** character. I've never seen him escape out of combos or "semi" legit combos by doing that DF. Like, ever. I've never seen a Falcon touch that character, and then he has to give up because ROB flew away during the middle of getting pooped on. Especially doing Upb, he struggles with landing vs a lot of characters because he doesn't have quick/solid hitboxes to cover his butt when he falls.

ROB isn't the character that comes to mind for getting out of tight spots. At all.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Can you record some videos?

I'm still willing to try ROB but all of his options pretty much suck and he gets wrecked. His edgeguarding game is okay but in comparison to other characters it leads you to ask "what is ROB's actual strength?".

I still don't know what ROB is good at other than GETTING comboed.

He can't camp, can't combo very well, doesn't deal well with pressure, doesn't approach well, his projectiles are incredibly mediocre and telegraphed, he's not fast, he doesn't have an uber recovery... I just don't know what he's good for.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
ROB can't camp? Blasphemy
I'll bring a recording device to the next tourney I go to so I have some competition that'll convince someone rather than players that people'll look at and go "Well THERE'S your problem" lol
Btw I'm not saying ROB is good by any stretch of the imagination, just not bottom tier bad.
that's where G^W and maybe a few others belong. But not ROB He's low tier at worst mid tier at best
I'll try to actually back that up properly in the future though
For now since I have no real evidence just ignore me or something lol
but try to try new things with ROB (I don't doubt you have, but I mean like, new for new things), like SH->Fair->as low to the ground as possible side-b-> perfect waveland or soft landing->any action for a variety of things from walling to relieving neutral pressure to resetting distance for better camping. Can also be done from a ledge hop, mixed up with fair+fair which plenty of people probably already do anyways. Empty hops->landing and empty hop->low to the ground side-b waveland/softland and be mixed-up with each other to make the opponent cautious of approaching, and for pressure. Side-b->waveland is also a great wave to get a gyro then retreat to safety, since his perfect waveland is easy to do out of a low side-b, and gives enough distance to make retreating with a waveland workable.

He's probably got a plethora of options working with falling from non-SH'd heights to side-b wavelands, and once you work that into your game I have no doubts the opponent will respect your space more once you make ROB's improved stage presence known. I guess the few times you get onto a platform (granted, not ideal with ROB) can be handled better using something like this. I just usually don't spend much time on platforms unless I side-b to their height->perfect waveland off for a fake out or something, and I don't doubt you guys know that ROB doesn't deal well with them nor with having space under him.

Also if you're looking at ROB having a hard time getting out of combos against like, just CF, then who really has an easy way out of that anyways that isn't super floaty? CF isn't the only character that goes for Uair juggles, just the most effective. I was mostly referring to times when ROB has exhausted the option of using his jump, which is devastating for most characters once the opponent gets back into position, but against ROB, there isn't a getting back into position when ROB's jump can be followed up with side-b to move him out of the "punish his lack-of-jump-free fall" position that the opponent has put themself in.

Also just remembered that up-smash has like a frame four launcher hitbox so I bet that can be his better OoS option when he doesn't have a gyro, granted they'd have to mess up spacing but when they aren't expecting a shield that happens pretty often. Haven't tried it tho.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
There are plenty of characters that can do little under pressure and rely on momentum to get their work done, and R.O.B. is one of the few characters that can be truly and consistently advantageous on block and create true frame traps/shield mixups. U-smash startup hitbox (Frame 5?) can shield poke low in conjunction with a massively advantageous on block Gyro glide toss, and he has plenty of other options to deal with specific OoS options. He's one of the more safely aggressive characters in the game.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
It's clear from that video that you don't understand how to AGT. Do you understand the mechanics behind it? It seems more complicated than it really is. Think of it as Airdodging, and then canceling the airdodge by throwing a bomb. That's pretty much all it is.
It's clear from that comment that you didn't watch the whole video. Do you even watch whole videos? It seems more complicated than it really is. Think of it as Watching the start of a video, and then not canceling the video by pausing after the first ten seconds. That's pretty much all it is.
couldn't resist
obviously he knows how to do it, he did it several time in that video, the ones he messed up most on were the first few where he missed the airdodge

Overswarm

is laughing at you

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Lucas doesn't have Puff recovery but...combined with his DownB Stall and his Air-dodge out of DJ followed by tether..and he's not so easy to kill. Only a select few characters can edgeguard a good Lucas.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
It's clear from that comment that you didn't watch the whole video. Do you even watch whole videos? It seems more complicated than it really is. Think of it as Watching the start of a video, and then not canceling the video by pausing after the first ten seconds. That's pretty much all it is.
couldn't resist
obviously he knows how to do it, he did it several time in that video, the ones he messed up most on were the first few where he missed the airdodge
I air dodged in the first ones too. The timing for the cancel is quite large, but the timing for the cancel while retaining momentum is smaller, and the momentum needs to be the maximum possible from an air dodge.

I know full well the mechanics behind the technique and that's extremely ignorant to claim I don't know what the **** something as obvious as an AGT is.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
ok but.. it's not that hard to do. I mean, I screw it up like anyone who doesn't practice it would, but if it's something you practice a lot then... stop johning.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I actually screw up the bomb jump a lot too for some reason
granted I haven't practiced it that seriously but I don't have a problem AGTing, just apparently can't get that timing to hit the bomb after I agt up lol

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Well I beat several top players and got 5th at Apex with the "worst character ever" in Project M, so I guess I'm just gahlike.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
JCz high tier
not top tier because melee top tier doesn't include top five
only top 3-4
depending on mood
still pretty gahlike tho

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
Well I beat several top players and got 5th at Apex with the "worst character ever" in Project M, so I guess I'm just gahlike.
Hey man, I rated him as second worst!

I seriously WANT to like R.O.B. so badly. There's very few characters in the series that I don't like (64: Samus, Melee: nobody, Brawl: Olimar, PM: R.O.B.) and I basically main random. It just sucks that when I get to R.O.B., I tend to skip the match or do poorly.

Seriously, I was hyped for R.O.B. changes when I first saw him in the MD/VA combo video back in the day

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
On Fox:
U-Throw -> U-air might be affected slightly by SCD glitches on his double jump animation causing him to gain less height. How much it affects it depends on how quickly you input the U-Air after the double jump. SDI is equal to Melee. Air-dodging shouldn't be any more prevalent than in Melee because at the earlier percents where U-throw doesn't tumble the very slight difference in DJ height shouldn't matter, and at later percents they have to burn a double jump or wiggle in order to air dodge, which are both too slow to avoid it unless those characters could do so in Melee like Peach at higher percents.

His B-air (and every other attack, for that matter) has the same knockback and damage values as Melee. The only thing that could be making this seem weaker is the abundance/increased viability of heavier characters, since weight affects how far victims are sent by all attacks. That would also make U-Throw -> U-air seem less reliable (coupled with the aforementioned SCD glitch affecting his double jump), as it doesn't work on heavier characters unless they fall relatively fast due to how Fox's U-throw's animation length is affected by victim weight. Any inconsistencies in Fox's gameplay between Melee and Project M are due to coding limitations and are not intentional.

Don't have enough time to respond about ROB, but just reading a few sentences of yours I can tell you really don't know what you're talking about. ROB might not be top tier, but he's definitely not worst in the game. Additionally, he might get combo'd pretty hard by say Captain Falcon, but generally speaking he is in a fairly awkward physics class to combo similar to Samus. He falls at a speed between Luigi and Mario's but weighs more, thus suffering less hitstun and being more difficult to combo.
Look up JCaesar's ROB; he's by far the best ROB and knows the character inside and out.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
And what happens when metroid wins SCSYN with Charizard?
Yah srsly, being low tier doesn't mean "nobody will EVER win with this character EVER." I'm not saying I personally believe ROB is completely awful, but pointing to individual successes or failures isn't really going to prove whether a character is good or bad.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
It should be noted that Ganon has won nationals in Melee. :p

I find it strange that people would say "ROB is bad against himself" or something along that fashion just because of JC's 'MM' against me. Clearly, I was out-played. I mean, I like to think that my ROB is decent, but JC is probably the #1 ROB player out there right now and he's also his main developer. :smash:

Vashimus

Smash Master
I find it strange that people would say "ROB is bad against himself" or something along that fashion just because of JC's 'MM' against me. Clearly, I was out-played. I mean, I like to think that my ROB is decent, but JC is probably the #1 ROB player out there right now and he's also his main developer. :smash:
Watch. Once Samus is released, you're gonna make the exact same excuse.

"No guys, ROB doesn't beat Samus! I was just outplayed, I swear!" Ok Bubba. ;)

:phone:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
It's too bad that Fox's uthrow > uair works on more chars at more %'s and is easier to pull off than ROB's dthrow > usmash. I'm pretty sure Fox's combo kills earlier too, but don't quote me on that.

Metroid, you've proved that Zard is no longer Low Tier and is probably Mid Tier now. Saying he's higher would need more time and data.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Metroid, you've proved that Zard is no longer Low Tier and is probably Mid Tier now. Saying he's higher would need more time and data.
I don't think placing well at two small tournaments is that significant; I need to place well at bigger events like SCSYN and SMYM while playing against reputable people with match-up experience to make a difference.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It's too bad that Fox's uthrow > uair works on more chars at more %'s and is easier to pull off than ROB's dthrow > usmash. I'm pretty sure Fox's combo kills earlier too, but don't quote me on that.

Fox's uthrow > uair doesn't really work on anyone who knows how to DI lol.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
It should be noted that Ganon has won nationals in Melee. :p
Except Ganon is pretty good/viable in melee, and he's... the worst character in brawl.

Fox's uthrow > uair doesn't really work on anyone who knows how to DI lol.
You can DI it all you want, Fox will always be able to hit you. The trick is that he has to correctly read your DI, which he needs to do pretty quickly if he wants to catch you. I've never seen anyone get away from it where the Fox didn't just mess up.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Except Ganon is pretty good/viable in melee, and he's... the worst character in brawl.

You can DI it all you want, Fox will always be able to hit you. The trick is that he has to correctly read your DI, which he needs to do pretty quickly if he wants to catch you. I've never seen anyone get away from it where the Fox didn't just mess up.
This is what I'm talking about lol. People don't know how to get out of fox's uair or think sdi is hard for some reason.

All you have to do to get out of fox uthrow->uair is start dashdancing really fast when he uthrows you. I get out 95% of the time doing this in both melee/PM.

The only way for fox to reliably hit uthrow uair is to only hit with the second hitbox of his uair, which is really hard/impossible if the opponent doesn't DI until the SDI.

Top Bottom