• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

~Frozen~

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frozen491
3DS FC
3909-8017-8600
Ike's sword in 2.1 had reduced hitlag on shields, essentially making his moves safer on block. It's much easier to punish him OOS now even with his enormous range.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ike has a longggg list of tweaks and nerfs since the old days. I'll list off some of the more prominent stuff of what is negative or changed:

1. Shield pushback was fixed. Ike's attacks used to push people back very far, since they were already intended to be strong hits. This made him safer on shield than he "actually" should be

2. Hitlag from sword attacks was reverted to normal.

3. Reduced Side B walljumps from infinite to... 3? I think. Prevents extraordinary recovery on stages like Draculas

3.1 His spinning sword during Upb "covers" Ike less than it did before. The hitbox used to be deceptively big and made edgeguard attemps quite laborious for many characters if they didn't have a sword or a disjointed tilt/Dair to work with. This was made easier so that given good timing and spacing, more characters can at least try to trade with the move instead of outright lose to it.

4. Sweetspot system reworked so that hits near the tip of the sword are weaker. This properly gave Ike an incentive to hit with the meaty part of his sword, instead of barely scraping a person and still sending them flying just as far. Stuff like tipper spaced Fairs weren't as lethal either

All of these combined together have made Ike a much less cheesy character. Comparatively as well, other characters during that time frame have gotten more noticeable buffs, where as most buffs for Ike are Quality of Life, or minor tweaks that make sense instead of more tools/buffed tools

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
DMG, ike didn't have a stun multiplier. He had a .5x hitlag multiplier for all sword attacks, but it didn't apply to the opponent when they shielded. What caused the "additional stun" was just ike experiencing less hitlag while the opponent experienced normal hitlag. It was changed so that only the sword tip has this reduced hitlag property.
Magus explained this in a post awhile back.

It's part of what upset me (and possibly other ike mains too) back when the change was made- hitting anywhere else on the sword gave ike normal hitlag instead of reduced, throwing off timings for SHFFLs and L-cancels.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
He didn't stun longer? Bullpoop

K either way, Ike was safer than x character doing y attack and therefore is z (not that great)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I thought it was more shield stun though, because they specifically included shields in describing his multiplier. Hmm

MLGF

Smash Lord
So alright, I get what you're saying. The biggest nerf is how much less safe Ike is on block. Alright, that actually makes a lot of sense, thank you.

cmart

Smash Lord
DMG - the sheild stun wasn't longer, but the hitlag Ike suffered was shorter. The end result was the same - Ike was safer on shields than other characters.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
when do you guys think we will get an actual tier list?

Unless the PMBR feels like making one, I don't think there will be an official 64/Melee/Brawl style tier list. The game is too balanced and the meta is too young for us to really be sure whether character x is 13th or 14th on the tier list. That difference is much too small in this game, and it's difficult for people to even agree on it if there's no official group involved in the decision. It's still fairly easy to group the characters together (even this isn't unanimous yet), but that might change as other characters develop actual metagames. Even the characters that seem bottom tier are viable, so it's almost unnecessary to have a tier list anyway.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
kirby's only high-end problem is spacing issues (especially against other air-mobile characters, jiggs is silly), and if your character doesn't have great spacing then there's a good chance he can open you up
Wario, Marth, and Mewtwo have the tools to poop on Kirby.

p.s. We need to bring back the Fun tier list, because Kirby is waaaay up there.

D

Deleted member

ganon for s tier by himself in fun tiers.

i chaingrab into suicide b kills to show the opponent that i am not afraid.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Disrespect tier

Top tier
Ganon jab kills
Ganon down b suicide kill
Ganon side b suicide kill
Ganon reverse Uair reset into Sparta
Ganon Up B offstage kills
Ganon down angled Ftilt edgeguard

Low Tier
anything not involving Ganon

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
My brother used Sonic's neutral-b repeatedly to get me away from the stage. Once we were far away enough when he did it again I ganoncided :>

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Falcon vs Samus feels unbearable in that regard, because the crawl ball too hard to hit or grab. Low crouching **** being buffed is not what Falcon likes, no gusta. Make everyone tall and fatty Ganon sized, with tiny arms and hitboxes. Give Falcon free reign

Edit: Ripple I dunno if you liked this post because you agree on Samus v Falcon, or if you agree with the utopian society with Falcon in our hearts everywhere
I think you know

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
what do you guys feel about ness' position on the tier list? I saw a lot of people put him low in 2.6 and I don't think there was any changes to him, so my guess is still low? shame, cause I want to main him.

Ginge

Smash Ace
what do you guys feel about ness' position on the tier list? I saw a lot of people put him low in 2.6 and I don't think there was any changes to him, so my guess is still low? shame, cause I want to main him.
He still has one of the most gimp-able recoveries. Especially against Kirby or any aerial character. Lucas's at least passes through opponents.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
He still has one of the most gimp-able recoveries. Especially against Kirby or any aerial character. Lucas's at least passes through opponents.
ah that's why. hm.

well, at least it goes a lot faster than Lucas'. I'm honestly clueless as to how they could buff it. maybe having less endlag on the down B would help in some way? I'm also tempted to say give him his yo-yo as a tether.

SixSaw

Smash Journeyman
Ness' recovery does not need buffs. His low tier placement has to do with a lacking neutral game vs characters that can deal with pk fire and outspace his fair.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
yeah, if you recover next to the stage, you stand a good chance of getting your thunder eaten. but, you don't need to upb near the stage as ness. you can get to the middle of fd from the edge of the visible area with just upb. it's kind of sick.

edit: maybe not the middle of fd, but you can get comfortably back on stage, combined with his good aerial control and super low landing lab after upb.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
LOL

Please don't buff Ness's recovery, jesus plz no

Ness needs help onstage with neutral a bit. He's so linear and focused on "safe but leads into nothing really" vs "not safe but might lead into something"

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
^ this

Ness can stuff most approaches and approach himself with his fair, but he can't convert much out of it besides a grab at low percents. granted, he can do a ton with a grab at low percents, but unless he can cheese the opponent with pk-fire or bad DI on fairs, he doesn't have many options to get anything started besides hail-mary grabs and dairs.

Magnet djcancel shenanigans gave him some new tools to work with in 2.5, but its hardly safe and he's no lucas in the neutral game.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Kirby's the bee's knees. People will see it.

Still though, T.Link guys. He's awesome. Jolteon go do real stuff already jeez.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Discuss characters' potentials and how they stack up against the rest of the cast here.

Feel free to discuss why your tier list makes sense, and what people are likely missing in theirs.

This stuff below is out of date.
If we get some people putting out their tier lists, I'll average them (or someone else can) and I'll put them up on the OP.

Please keep in mind the tier list averages do not reflect an actual official tier list.

Hopefully I don't get shot for making this thread, lol.

-If you give me your own personal tier list, I will place it into my Excel Spreadsheet with your username and list of 33 characters in order. I'm going to ignore Top/High/etc. and just put it into numerical order.
-This means you do not have to edit your original tier list post. Just re-post it and I will know based on your username whether I am making a new column or just updating an old one.
-I am ignoring Shielda as a character despite her utility. No arguments on this. ^_^
-Putting SHeLL's idea into action. Poll will run for a bit as to what the top 8 characters are. ~Can't make polls :(

As of 1/24/13:
Average From 15 Tier Lists
1. Fox
2. Falco
3. Sheik
4. Marth
5. Peach
6. Mario
High
7. Jigglypuff
8. Lucario
9. Ike
10. Diddy
11. Pit
12. Wolf
13. Falcon
Mid
14. Link
15. Snake
16. Ganondorf
17. Sonic
18. Pikachu
19. Lucas
20. Squirtle
Low
21. Zelda
22. DonkeyKong
23. Bowser
24. Zero SuitSamus
25. Wario
26. Ivysaur
27. Toon Link
Bottom
28. Charizard
29. DeDeDe
30. R.O.B.
31. Ness
32. Luigi
33. Game and Watch

Point totals:

Fox 21
Falco 32
Sheik 92
Marth 130
Peach 132
Mario 139
Puff 142
Lucario 169
Ike 200
Diddy 217
Pit 220
Wolf 269
Falcon 278
Link 298
Snake 298
Ganondorf 310
Sonic 329
Pikachu 345
Lucas 356
Squirtle 379
Zelda 380
DK 396
Bowser 398
ZSS 409
Wario 412
Ivysaur 418
TL 421
Zard 431
D3 460
ROB 472
Ness 485
Luigi 491
GnW 567

As of 1/3/13:

Credit to MCO for averaging.

You going to update this ^? I like having an up to date "unofficial" tier list. Obviously for 3.0 we need to wait for a bunch of tourney results.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
I think with proper spacing Roy (and anyone else with long range attacks) can beat Kirby.

Oracle

Smash Master
I was gonna do the update for 2.6 but it took too long. I can still compile the stats if yall want but itll be for 2.6

The_NZA

Smash Lord
His position has nothing to do with recovery and everything to do with no range or space control outside of a forward b projectile that, when figured out, causes the character to lose like 20% of his potency. He also lacks the mobility to make up for his **** lack of range, meaning Ness can effectively cause good damage on hit, but he has a hard as hell time getting a hit in.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Is it really THAT gimpable?

I thought not a lot of things stopped him once he hits himself, it can sweet spot the ledge from above too.

The only time he is gimpable is after its finished I thought?

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
just run out there and smack him before he hits himself with PKT
not like he'll be able to defend himself
hell a lot of times you can just body block the PKT and Ness falls helpless
that's what makes him so gimpable

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
if you don't think that the opponent being able to severely gimp your recovery solely through existing slightly above you isn't a pretty notable drawback idk what to tell you

Bryonato

Green Hat
Idk about other Ness players but if I pkt I often choose to do it NOT right next to the stage where someone can just come and jump into idk.

I tend to like to recover high.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The range that Ness has with his recovery is long enough that he usually can afford to readjust his spacing based on offstage edgeguarding threats from the opponent, and then use the move. Like the distance is long enough, that most characters sans Captain Falcon REALLY have to be leaping out there and already be quite offstage when he starts Upb. Your best hope to pull that off is to run/fall off the stage if he has to recover from below. If he is recovering from higher up, or closer to stage level, that's not usually the best of ideas.

Top Bottom