• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Charizard Dsmash mightttttttt wanna get looked at. Again. With hawk eyes. When God made this good, green earth, that move was not in his plan.

(I got bopped by it yesterday, what are techrolls? Fodder FOR DSMASH muahahaha)

I love PM and I would love to be in Dallas or have a Local Scene. I kind of want to learn the "actual" game, not just Melee style it up the butt and hope it works (which a lot of the times it does! Go figure Fox being easier and Marth still being decent!)

Also random note: Marth vs MK feels very nice for Marth and I enjoy et

metroid1117

Smash Master
Charizard Dsmash mightttttttt wanna get looked at. Again. With hawk eyes. When God made this good, green earth, that move was not in his plan.

What character were you using?

Also, depending on the %, you can CC the outer hits. I'm not sure if that would've helped your situation though.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Lucas' meh recovery and poor OOS options hurt more than anything else imo. Getting comboed hard is nothing new or that detrimental when the character is balanced around that, as Lucas is.

Also, his new back air is a HUGE improvement. His old one was garbage. Came out slow, had a puny hitbox, didn't last long, and had lots of end lag. His aerial game sorely lacked a reliable, versatile finisher/kill move, and now that that gap is gone he feels like a much more solid character.

His recovery is fine given how lethal it 'should' be when you get your hands on a character that can be nearly impossible to hit/avoid getting hit by.

His OOS game is amazing... I don't know where this madness of lacking options is coming from!

His old B-air may have been 'harder' to hit with, but it was just as lethal.
It could kill anyone off almost any chain of hits. Just because the mainstream average Lucas players weren't incorporating things like Reverse-B-airs or Magnet-Turnaround-B-airs into their punishment game at ALL, let alone accurately and appropriately, doesn't mean Lucas wasn't already one of the most reliable Touch = Kill characters in the game.
Now it's just easy-mode, but not so much 'better' in these regards.

The Magneto-style use of B-air in Neutral is better though, and probably pretty functional now, but less cool, at least. Though nobody really does that much yet either.

Metroid/Itallion/and I had multiple discussion about this one, but the general consensus is that it kind of 'should' be that good. It only comes across as 'silly' to any decent extent in certain situations, and otherwise can be escaped even when connected if there's enough DI on the outer edges, meaning it takes a certain match-up and at least SOME positioning to insure it functions optimally... though it's still a little silly, he IS a big stupid Dragon who 'should' have free stuff because he's a ****in Dragon.

Edit: What he said^

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
What he said. ^

The more you get used to the Zard match-up, the less cheesy of a character he should feel. I've used him so much that the main people I play against have learned to generally get around his d-smash. The main moves they still have trouble with are nair and dair, and these are the moves that I would argue are Zard's real troublemakers. The exception to this rule is if you're playing a fastfaller against Zard. You have to use your speed and well spaced pressure to keep Zard contained, because once you let Zard get a hit on your fastfalling character, he's going to deal a lot of damage.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
His recovery is fine given how lethal it 'should' be when you get your hands on a character that can be nearly impossible to hit/avoid getting hit by.

His OOS game is amazing... I don't know where this madness of lacking options is coming from!

His old B-air may have been 'harder' to hit with, but it was just as lethal.
It could kill anyone off almost any chain of hits. Just because the mainstream average Lucas players weren't incorporating things like Reverse-B-airs or Magnet-Turnaround-B-airs into their punishment game at ALL, let alone accurately and appropriately, doesn't mean Lucas wasn't already one of the most reliable Touch = Kill characters in the game.
Now it's just easy-mode, but not so much 'better' in these regards.

The Magneto-style use of B-air in Neutral is better though, and probably pretty functional now, but less cool, at least. Though nobody really does that much yet either.
Tether (iow slow) grab + slow up smash + up b that's useless OOS + 5 frame jump start + no super fast aerial option = bad OOS game. Having a great wavedash is pretty much the one thing he has going for him, but he's still really susceptible to shield pressure.

As for recovery, I agree, it's acceptable as is, but it's still meh compared to other similar characters.

And onto bair, his old one was fine for DJC/SHFFL shenanigans on stage, but that's almost all it was good for, and as burnsy said, his new one is better in almost every possible way. If nothing else, you have to admit it's more versatile and can be used off stage more effectively.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I don't consider Marth to have a bad OOS game, and it's limited to Grab, F-air, and primarily WD too. Lucas has fine aerials to match options on top of WD. It's not like he's easy to pressure, or put on the defensive. If anything, he'll be approaching with Shield and if someone tries to trade hits with the approach they're expecting (because Lucas is nuts and forces people to play defensively just by existing nearby), then it's a free combo for Lucas with whatever OOS thing he wants to do from Grab to F-air to Down-B to WD>etc.

Saying his OOS options is a weakness is like saying the lag on Jiggs Rest is a weakness to the character. lol

I can't stand the quantity of mindless DJC stuff Lucas players do. The old B-air was good for what I mentioned regarding killing off-stage, just as much as the new B-air, it was just less noob-friendly. So really, the new-B-air is functional on-stage where the old-B-air wasn't.
Just figured that's worth mentioning, as you seem to have that backwards/most do so it's not a big deal/hope that helps clear some stuff up.

Zard will always be CHEESY because of his nature. Touch-of-Death one way, Touch-of-Death the other. Or rather, it will HAVE to be that way for both Char AND the opponent, because their opponent will be doing that from either side of any match-up with Char in it.
AKA, cheese is the name of the game. it's just a matter of whether it's silly or not.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
I don't consider Marth to have a bad OOS game, and it's limited to Grab, F-air, and primarily WD too. Lucas has fine aerials to match options on top of WD. It's not like he's easy to pressure, or put on the defensive. If anything, he'll be approaching with Shield and if someone tries to trade hits with the approach they're expecting (because Lucas is nuts and forces people to play defensively just by existing nearby), then it's a free combo for Lucas with whatever OOS thing he wants to do from Grab to F-air to Down-B to WD>etc.

Saying his OOS options is a weakness is like saying the lag on Jiggs Rest is a weakness to the character. lol

I can't stand the quantity of mindless DJC stuff Lucas players do. The old B-air was good for what I mentioned regarding killing off-stage, just as much as the new B-air, it was just less noob-friendly. So really, the new-B-air is functional on-stage where the old-B-air wasn't.
Just figured that's worth mentioning, as you seem to have that backwards/most do so it's not a big deal/hope that helps clear some stuff up.
I don't have it backwards, I just disagree. I disagree with almost everyone on almost everything on this board though, so whatevs.

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
Soooooo, is Peach up 1 more spot due to her amazing Brawl techs that Gave her potential in that game+Melee Peach incarnation (Save her slower airdodge) :p
(And no i don't just mean her improved utilt or up-b, i mean LEGIT techs like Peach L.I.F.T, Glide toss, EVEN DACUS :O)

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386

Zard will always be CHEESY because of his nature. Touch-of-Death one way, Touch-of-Death the other. Or rather, it will HAVE to be that way for both Char AND the opponent, because their opponent will be doing that from either side of any match-up with Char in it.
AKA, cheese is the name of the game. it's just a matter of whether it's silly or not.

I think alot of Lucas's and everyone's defenses would improve if SOMEHOW shields could be improved upon. If not in the form of actual light shields than perhaps different shields would be nice...but the current shields make everything OoS feel too good, too bad, or too low/mid level.

For example: Power shielding all of Ivy's Nair, followed by shield grab...with pikachu...

Lucas is fine, he's creeped into my top 10 and alot of people's as of late. My fear is he'll get buffed before people realize how good he actually is right now.

as for charizard...I still feel like he could use some improvements, he's got a Nair cures all thing going on but at the same time...things like his glide, fly, up-b...many things about the way it functions feels...clumsy at times. Granted he can kill alot of characters easy but at the same time killing him feels way too easy.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Wow, I didn't know LIFT had a name. I just called it ledge jump float.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure LIFT alone (LMAO at the name) was what made her Top-Tier in 2.1
This is year-late news you noobs.

Spiffy, there's nothing really to disagree with there... you're doing the same thing everybody does regarding my posts (as normal on the forums as your disagreements)
If you think Lucas's B-air was better in Neutral in 2.1 than it is in 2.6, you simply have no idea what you're talking about, or you're a freaking genius and know some way the move broke the game in neutral or something... especially considering it was only good for off-stage kills, and nobody used it for that due to not developing the meta-game to any extent, and all of this leading up to and followed by it being buffed/changed to be more universally functional rather than niche. There's no reason it would've been buffed for universal use (for both on and off stage utility functions) if it WAS good at something like DJC's and SHFFL's... otherwise I'm sure somebody, at some point in 2.1/2.5 history, would have used it more than... once. lol
People aren't THAT stupid, they're just noobs.

Stoked for light-shields.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Soooooo, is Peach up 1 more spot due to her amazing Brawl techs that Gave her potential in that game+Melee Peach incarnation (Save her slower airdodge) :p
(And no i don't just mean her improved utilt or up-b, i mean LEGIT techs like Peach L.I.F.T, Glide toss, EVEN DACUS :O)

shockingly, peach seems slightly down in this game....while at the same time she's in the exact same place as she is in Melee.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
With Peach, normally you're pretty vulnerable at the ledge because you have to dip below the stage to do a ledgehop (because of peach's unique DJ). In PM, you can ledge jump, hold down & the jump button, and be floating instantly onstage at grounded height.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
You do the standard ledge-jump get-up, and Float on-stage. Due to Brawl/PM ledge-jump allowing you to act early out of it, you can FC N-air on-stage completely invincible straight from the ledge.
Otherwise, this allows both Peach and Ness to properly WL on-stage from the ledge, or a make-shift version of it, which they were absent of access to in Melee, and essentially nullifying one of the reasons Peach had such an issue with getting on-stage if she couldn't recover DIRECTLY on it in Melee. Basically, MASSIVE buff to her already-epic recovery. It eliminated basically what was her single weakness when looking to regain Stage control from a disadvantageous position being simply... grabbing the ledge. Ness too, but this wasn't his ONLY issue with recovery, so it's a big deal, but not single-handily game-breaking for him.
Similar to the buff Pika got when recovering, having access to QAC is like giving Shiek no-lag after Up-Bing on-stage. Though fortunately she retains her lag from Melee, as it would be game-breaking to edge-guarding her, and she didn't need those crazy practicality buffs the way Pika kind of did.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I consider it pretty massive. Given that there aren't too many 'bigger' changes you could make to improve the characters (both Peach and Shiek), especially when it comes to fundamental things in terms of what makes them work vs not in very common and universal situations.
Like... it's pretty freaking good in comparison to 'not' having it, and not many other things would be AS freaking good. I call that significant enough to be massive. U-Tilt, maybe DACUS... that's notable stuff. haha

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
DMG salty bout my dsmashes!? AWWWW YEAH THUGNIFICENT IS BACK BABY
Yar, Dsmash be lootin the Booty me maties.

(I like the move sorta. Charizard has to have some ridiculous stuff to keep up with lame characters, but it's kinda awkward to see tech chases and tech rolls be covered with the move/dashing with the move so easily. Make it more like Wario's Dsmash, where if the other person tech rolls out sure you get guaranteed punishes but not with another Dsmash. That's more my gripe than anything about the move. It would be like seeing Donkey Kong use Down B, and then punish tech rolls away by running with them and using it again. It looks goofy)

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure LIFT alone (LMAO at the name) was what made her Top-Tier in 2.1
This is year-late news you noobs.

Spiffy, there's nothing really to disagree with there... you're doing the same thing everybody does regarding my posts (as normal on the forums as your disagreements)
If you think Lucas's B-air was better in Neutral in 2.1 than it is in 2.6, you simply have no idea what you're talking about, or you're a freaking genius and know some way the move broke the game in neutral or something... especially considering it was only good for off-stage kills, and nobody used it for that due to not developing the meta-game to any extent, and all of this leading up to and followed by it being buffed/changed to be more universally functional rather than niche. There's no reason it would've been buffed for universal use (for both on and off stage utility functions) if it WAS good at something like DJC's and SHFFL's... otherwise I'm sure somebody, at some point in 2.1/2.5 history, would have used it more than... once. lol
People aren't THAT stupid, they're just noobs.

Stoked for light-shields.
I honestly don't know how you can think that though, are we thinking of the same back air or what???

it was like Falco dair offstage, I SD'd with it many times before I got used to how laggy it was. Onstage, you could use it similarly to Ness' bair, do it really low and follow it up quickly. I've seen a few slick Lucas' use it really creatively off stage, but again just like Falco's dair, you had to know without a doubt exactly how far out/where you could go to hit it and still recover. His new bair is not nearly as limited in that regard.

I just looked up two Lucas videos of two different players, one from 2.1 and one from 2.5 and in both those videos multiple KOs were landed from on stage DJC back airs. Do I need a larger sample size or does this support my case sufficiently? I didn't even sift through multiple videos, these are literally the first two I pulled...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uELAQbaXyRI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4VsE1nJo9w

My core point: old bair was decent onstage and very limited offstage. New bair is godlike in every possible way.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
lol @ the idea that straight-up B-airs connecting for kills on stage ever being functional in a developed meta-game.
If Lucas B-airs work when things like Falcon Knees so rarely do outside of very rare and risky hard reads within hail-Mary attempts, then this is a weirder game than expected.
Whatever perspective floats your boat home-slice.

Charizard's D-Smash only seems silly to me when it does that whole 'covers everything for free' on Platform tech-chase against Spacies.
You don't even have to time anything, you just try it, and you'll get it.

Oracle

Smash Master
It only covers all the options on platforms or vs chars with bad tech rolls like falcon. I dont think its that big of a deal since its only really free techchase on a handful chars

Scythe

Smash Master
It used to be way more lame lol why are you guys only talking about this now

metroid1117

Smash Master
It used to be way more lame lol why are you guys only talking about this now
It used to be able to cover ALL of Falcon/Fox's teching options (standing tech, techroll left/right, and miss tech) and meteor them at the same time in 2.1, so Charizard versus Fox/Falcon on FD was extremely silly. Considering how the lag has been increased, the overall range has been decreased, and that it only meteors at the base, I don't think it needs any more changes IMO.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
^ That's funny.

If anything looks silly, it's worth calling out. Link's Boomerang animation, Ivysaur's Razor Leaf spamming, Char getting mindless tech-chases (still), Roy's massive feet.
None of those are massive things, but worth noting that they're a little silly looking.
Why are his boots so big?

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
Yea i said Peach was up because in Melee she's 6th, but on here she's 5th. However the list im currently viewing is from 1/12/13 and seems to be in need of an update given that PM was updated as well from then to now.

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
Yea i said Peach was up because in Melee she's 6th, but on here she's 5th. However the list im currently viewing is from 1/24/13 and seems to be in need of an update given that PM was updated as well from then to now.
Edit: Sorry for the dub post, SWF glitched and made it seem like my msg didn't come through when it did.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Get knocked into loser-bracket by the boards^
I think everyone has so far, but still waiting my turn.

Melee
Top 1-Peach-7
Mid 8-14
Bottom 15-26

PM
Top 1-Peach-15
Bottom 16-41

lol

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
:D

Real talk... my thoughts and concerns/suggestions.

Don't OVER-BUFF Ganon, Dedede, Squirtle, or Zelda. I've seen/heard a lot of things about them being 'weak' or whatever, and it can be really easy to want to do something extravagant with them, but they're approaching somewhat of a critical mass of niche-style that could tip them over the edge REALLY easily if this is approached the wrong way.
Something as simple as reducing the landing-lag on Aerial Side-B's would allow Ganon to use them more liberally in Neutral and Resets, which already applies a great dynamic with his other tools being primarily aerials and WL > Grab/Tilts, and it's something that really hasn't sunk in with the popular Ganon meta-game yet, even as it is.
Anything more than little things like that, and he could easily go too far. Same with a lot of characters.

Don't OVER-NERF Ivysaur, or any of the other characters that are considered 'really' good by the public masses or mainstream players. The characters really aren't all that game-breaking, and something as simple as reverting Ivy's Razor Leaf into something else would easily change the general perspective of the character alone.
A few others that get a lot of attention (Mario, Wario, Fox, Falco, etc) have the same thing in common. They're not nearly as note-worthy as being good relative to the rest of the cast. They could be better enough with a distinction, but it's not game-breaking, and there's significant reason beyond them 'being good' that factors into this.
If anything, minor tweaks to a few of them aren't necessary, and it's the rest of the cast that would be beneficial to the game in regards to adjustments.

Only Actual Concerns.

- Lucario
The direction the mainstream Lucario meta-game is going, is not going to help him long-term. There's too much that players are getting away with now that simply won't work in time.
-Aerial > Down-B approaches and pokes in Neutral that are easily punishable and single tracked, that Lucario players do thinking it's safe, only because the meta-game isn't there yet.
-Pressure strings that can simply be CC > Buffer Rolled out of, leaving Lucario in significantly disadvantageous positions due to the end-lag on almost everything he can follow-up with.
-Landing hits when recovering/maneuvering by cancelling Up-B/whatever with Aura Charges, which are predictable, easy to punish, single tracked, and obviously self-destructive at that, but are still working today due to opponents not working it to their advantage yet. (seriously, stop getting hit by Lucario when he cancels Up-B > attacks, and start punishing him for free for it)

A lot of this stuff is mainstream meta-game related, and simply for the fact that it's very unique and niche to vs Lucario particularly, so naturally it should be 'behind' relatively. Though with all of this, I'm not sure the overall transition to reliance on DD Grab game, etc, will actually be enough to sustain him.

I'm not calling him out as 'bad' or in need of a buff, as it could be REALLY easy to over-buff him, but I'd like some insight on whether or not people have hope for this character long term AS HE IS. Taking the turn to lock-down Mario-style approaches and processes will clarify this greatly, by on the surface, can he actually do it?

Other thoughts: He's STEEL type, so some armor or some method of direct counter-measure could be cool and in-theme, given how he could use some form of taking hits and converting off of them.
An ever-so-slightly faster Down-B would add a lot, including for that common Attack > Down-B thing, as it wouldn't leave him so punish-able (seriously, you can WD-OOS > Grab or pressure Lucario if he F-air > Down-B's away from you, the start-up is too easy to see and react to).

- ROB
I just feel the tediousness of his Neutral game in regards to positioning and spacing is way beyond that of essentially every other character. He has to move a lot, and every maneuver is committing, which long-term is something that becomes easily abused by nature. It already takes a toll on him, and when he's really flushed out it will be better, but then the developing counter-meta-game is something he may not have an answer to.

Same with Lucario, I just don't know if he has it cut out for him long-term, and would love some insight on what hopes people have for him AS HE IS. His diversity and utility is awesome, and he doesn't really have a terrible position that crushes him, but does his ability to function match the rest of the characters of this nature?

Other thoughts: Aerial Side-B being angled every-so-slightly would greatly help with the precision positioning, but it still takes the same commitment, with keeps his flavor and just gives it more dynamics.
Let him get 1 Up-B back if he gets hit even off-stage?

Edit: Splleinging

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
lol @ the idea that straight-up B-airs connecting for kills on stage ever being functional in a developed meta-game.
If Lucas B-airs work when things like Falcon Knees so rarely do outside of very rare and risky hard reads within hail-Mary attempts, then this is a weirder game than expected.
Whatever perspective floats your boat home-slice.
And at last we come to the inevitable prime example of why I rarely bother reasoning with people around here. Next time I'll just do what everyone else does and pass the time with snide remarks until the next update comes.

Have fun baiting someone else next time. Home-slice.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Nausicca: What hasn't sunk in with the Ganon meta? Because Aerial Side B is overall a pretty crappy option. The only viable times it feels like you can land it?

1. After onstage Dair when they pop up since you get anything for free
2. If they pick stand up/roll into Ganon during a tech chase scenario
3. Edgehogging/guarding someone who is forced to recover onto the stage

Because Ganon moves so slow horizontally in the air in general, and takes time to do the "usual" options when jumping, people tend to pay attention the second you leave the ground. There's not many viable mixups or variable timings you can apply in neutral, that should scare the other person or pressure them into getting hit by the move. Late Nairs are probably more viable overall than that option because you at least cover decent range very quickly, instead of covering no range for a short time and then "floating" at them with a hand that may or may not get them (with tons of lag afterwards)

If Aerial Side B landing lag was buffed, it would still be pretty risky to throw out and would still tend to lose to a lot of simple things like rolling (if you don't have a sucky roll). Ganon already has such a hard time with people repositioning back when he picks a movement option, that I feel like you'd be hard pressed to land the move more unless he travelled faster or acted quicker. Those are buffs I would be scared to give his Aerial Side B.

If you mean tilts or WL options are underused, then I totally agree. Ftilt for like Best Ganon Move lol. Angle it downwards and give people the "Stanky Leg".

@Ivysaur talks: Ivy should get nerfed in some areas to be more palatable to the game. She's a competitive eyesore in neutral, and character attributes like hers kinda have to exist if you want her "flavor" to work decent vs people like Fox Falco Falcon etc. There's not as much precision needed to play her compared to most long range characters, so yeah people DO get mad salty when Bair to Razor Leaf wins. If you look at the big picture, you see:

A character that kind of throws out stuff with decent IASA/endlag timings
A pretty annoying recovery all things considered
Pretty simple edgeguarding
Tools beyond tools if you are above the character
A pretty good Nair with multiple uses
Gimmicky Uair mcflopshlongs (not exactly a problem, but something to point out that could probably be changed to be less janky)
Lots of Range

The two characters I hear consistently listed for Ivy counter MU's, are Falco and Sheik. The reasons described for beating Ivy, never tend to involve clever ways to beat the range or projectile. It tends to all sound like "sit there and camp even better than she does and make her look sucky". The cherry on the top? Ok folks, prepare yourselves:

When someone like Falco is cheesing your balls off in neutral, it at least tends to involve some (incoming run-on sentence for massive emphasis) approaching shield pressure hard read on the fly jazz hands "so when's Marvel" maybe a cool mixup or two and like sometimes when he ****s up he gets tossed offstage and dies. Ivy? Oh man, that neutral game tends to involve (more run-on sentences for emphasis) some janky IASA frames big range but small whack-a-mole hits fish slap go tell ya grandma I ate her pudding and only saved her a little bit "I'd rather hit you safely with tilts and aerials than combo you to death but I'm still capable of it sometimes" Foot Dive chocolate noogie dildos piercing my skull headaches

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I gave you big bolded parts to read

This is not Reading Rainbow mother ******, keep up!

D

Deleted member

marth absolutely has a crappy OOS game.

not to nitpick but yeah not even close.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I gave you big bolded parts to read

This is not Reading Rainbow mother ****er, keep up!
I challenge you to make a face to camera Vlog talking about your post, that is more enjoyable and you can use hand gestures to describe game aspects

Top Bottom