• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

tier list for teams

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
Pneuma said:
YLink is not low Tier. It's easy to tell that no one posting ITT has ever given him a try. He's fast, he has a great recovery and can stock-tank, stops opponent's combos from a mile away by throwing bombs or boomerang, and can hold his own against many top tiers (excluding Sheik ;_;). Yeah, not low tier.
So when you posted this were you assuming that I wouldn't read it, and that everyone on the boards is totally ignorant?? Welcome to NoVa where TA plays at ChozenOne's BiWeekly tournaments, which has regular team tournaments. YLink has no good way to kill besides a random Uair, or Dair, and perhaps a daskAtk on a fastfaller... he can't stocktank b/c he can get gayed even easier than falco.. there are a couple of characters i'm still willing to debate on.. moving Ylink up isn't one of them. His grab is also horrendous which is quite essential to excel in teams.

ChozenOne Out.

falcosmassacre01

Smash Journeyman
Scrubs said:
Lol chozen one you forgot an entire character, DK who subsequently isn't very good at teams.

omg dude u never seen a good dk play then dk is good in teams only cuz hes big doesnt mean he cant hold his own,and ness should be that high because he can help and be helped alot in teams he can be shot to recover energy he can edge guard real good with the bat,just think about it.

falcosmassacre01

Smash Journeyman
Scrubs said:
LOL

Annoying1359 are you syaing that Nessm isn't easy to edgeduard??? Even in the Ness FAQ in the Ness forums it says that he is easy to edgeguard.

And people keep going on about your partner healing you... Who do you play teams against half blind 90 year olds. In theory it works but in practice you will rarely rarely get an opportunity to do it and even then you won't be able to heal a significant percent maybe 10-15 if you are lucky. Ness is alright in teams but he is definitely not above the bottom of mid tier.

dude are you stupid the way you can get healed is so simple wen u kill someone you can heal ness while the opponent might be far away i dont think the opponent would go in to get double teamed and its real easy to heal ness with samus.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
oh! oh! pick me! instant kill with GAW and Ness. hard to pull off but deadly.
---------------
mario and mario or doc and doc would be cool, with the tornado teleport glitch:

Tornado Teleport -- Mario and Doctor Mario teleport back to the stage.

Select Two Marios or Docs.
Use the Tornado and mash B so you begin to rise in the air with one Mario.
Throw a Fireball with the other Mario, and hit the one in the Tornado.
this should teleport the first Mario back to the stage.

also, there is a vid in the vid disc. room and on youtube that shows a 78% damage pill. same concept for fireball. have a mario fire a fireball at other mario, then continuously reflect back and forth, then let loose on opponent.

UFO Flan

Smash Journeyman
G&W shouldn't be bottom tier because he has a good recovery. A good Game and watch could stop edgeguarding with his d-tilt. Plus his team can also help fill his bucket for much power, if his teammate has projectiles. He wouldn't be high or upper tier but i think he should be at least just lower tier not bottom.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Really good job at a teams tiers list, Chozen, it looks pretty accurate, Peach at the top.

I think Kirby is a good team character for the same reasons other people have said. He can crouch under SHLs, missles, and Needles. He can also copy some good abilities. Like Doc's pills or Falco's lasers (SHDL), along w/ giving ally's their jumps back w/ the swallow. His quick jabs also make team infinites fairly easy too, easy to do and fairly low range.

I've always thought that Falco can be a pretty good team-mate. As for helping recovery, he can drop down and shine you to pop you back up. He's also really good w/ really laggy characters like Link and Jiggz cuz he can shoot a SHL at them to cancel lag. I know it sounds silly, but it can be extremely useful at times.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
I don't know much about 2 on 2, but I have some ideas.

Falco: just like he is in the StarFox games - works best alone. Falco isn't great at killing, and his combos aren't as good as those of other high tier characters - he relies on his fantastic approach to crush his opponents. In doubles, Falco's partner and the opponent's second player get in his way, so what are we left with? At least Falco can edge-guard, but other than that he becomes a lot worse. Chozen's tier list seems to agree.

Yoshi: I said this in another thread - he seems to be built for doubles. He moves fast, can get enemies off the edge quickly with down tilt, and can lob over teammates with his up B projectile. And his lack of third jump doesn't hurt him as much, either.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i would move ganon up, your opponents aren't going to live very long with him as a partner, besides, his down b becomes 800 times better in teams than in 1 vs 1

i pretty much agree with the rest

JOLT143

Smash Apprentice
Jiggs is easily the highest and can go well with almost anyone. But second is up for grabs. My opinion is...

Dual Samus missle spamming on pokemon stadium.
You thought one was bad.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff ***** as a teammate.

Late game 2v1 rest/rollout combos are too good.
As are uairs and pounds used to help your partner recover.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I wouldn't say that Jiggs is the best at teams, but she's deffinately up there. I think it goes more like this.

1. Shiek-she can serve both as a stock tank and as an attacker, so she's very versitile in teams. She has no trouble handling herself and can even interupt your opponent's combos with a quick needle. She can use her needles to either save you or keep your opponent from edgeguarding you. She's great at getting grabs to help you with team combos, too. She also has an easy time finishing opponents with her "anything to fair" combo.

2. Fox-shinespikes help get an early lead and he's pretty good at taking care of himself. He lives a little longer in teams because of his partner's ability to save him from most on the stage edgeguarding. He's pretty good at keeping an oponent busy so you can do your thing un-interupted. He can't really save you, but what he can do is kill the person edgeguarding you, or at least destract them enough for you to make it back. His up smash and uair are more spamable in teams, because it's harder to keep track of what's going on.

3. Marth- his long range allows him to pressure multiple opponents at the same time, and he can easily help you regain your composure. He actually lives longer than most people think because his recovery actually has a very good range as long as it's not interupted. Most of the time your partner will be able to defend the ledge for you, so you can be the stock tank as well as the team's offense. He doesn't have quick kill moves like Fox or Shiek, but he has the best edgeguarding in the game and can kill people long before kill moves would even be effective. Saving your partner isn't that easy, but Marth can use his side B to reel his partner towards the stage. He can interupt your opponent's combos with a simple fair and go straight back to what he was doing. His throws are great for setting up team combos and for just keeping opponent's busy in general.
4. Jigglypuff-I'm not quite sure if she should go above Peach, but Jigglypuff is significantly better in teams than in singles. Rests are much better in teams because you can use it more often and with less punishment. Jigglypuff's edgeguarding is in the same league as Marth's and her bair is a nice spammable move that sets up for edgeguarding ,too. She's great at saving her partner because she can go pretty far off the stage to do that. My only real complaint is that she has a hard time keeping up with the action, and her being light certainly doesn't help. If she gets knocked off the stage then it will be quite a while before she makes it back and that will happen more and more as her percent rises.

More Later.....

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
Technically you could play without tourny rules and turn friendly fire off, which would really change the effect of some characters (i.e. grab specials would work).

GOTM

Smash Champion
Top Tier
Peach
Fox
Marth

Upper Tier
Jiggly
Capt. Falcon
Shiek
Ganon
Falco

High Tier
Link
Samus
IC's
Ness
Zelda

Mid
Luigi
Roy
Mario
Doc
Pikachu

Low Tier
Kirby
Young Link
Donkey Kong
Bowser
Yoshi

Bottom Tier
Pichu
MewTwo
Mr. Game and Watch

*note-
i added DK >_< even the chosen one can make mistakes...

Post or PM me for changes...
sheik should be top tier....

Dan2

Smash Apprentice
I appreciate the sediment... Suggestions anyone?
In order to show both general value in a teams match, and how well they work with another, specific character, you could have a tier list to rank the characters in general, and a matchup list like phanna's, except to show how well the two characters work with each other.

It'd be a lot of work, but I'm pretty sure that it would give you a decent idea of the teams metagame...

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Id have to say that falcon and samus make the best team becaues missile to knee is sexy.
If we're going by sexiness then double Falcon would take the cake.

Anyway, M2K's top 5 is correct and it's pretty easy to determine. I guess Falcon would make a questionable #6 or might be better than Marth.

Ganon is also pretty good.... Falco is alright...

Aaaanyways, anything below that would be very very hard to determine for lack of diversity in teams that win tournaments. I've seen some SICK Kirbys and Samuses in teams, so in my opinion it's all a matter of strategy. The top of the list would have the most extensive (and perhaps easiest to perform) strategies. I think that's why Lucky and Mango have done so well. They are both really solid players and they are ALWAYS on point with their grab rests.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Tsk, Kirby is a lot better in team than you can even dream about in your wildest dreams. :/ A lot better than many of those, actually. Falco hurts teammates with SHL, Samus' missiles can kill you by accident, Marth's sword has so much range he can hit you and so on. Kirby is small and hard to hit, cannot kill you by accident, ducks so you can approach with your SHL's and Missile spams, can copy your useful abilities (double charge shot anyone?), can kirbycide and of course, can even save you with swallow if you're out of jumps (just swallow your partner and copy, so they get vertical boost and all jumps back). Kirby's abilities get a big boost in team plays and he's rated lower than in actual tiers? That's quite contrary now, is it? As a Kirby player, I do know that Kirby is a lot better than that, especially in teams which is the area where he shines. Double swallowcide and Jiggly's rollout + Kirby's foward throw are just some of the comboes he can do in teams. Thy shouldn't underestimate the pink puffball.
You're definitely right on the level of Falco and Samus. SHL would be annoying, and I know from experience that Samus can be a pain to play with on a team. All of a sudden you hear your temmate say "WATCH OUT!" at the last second. And I'm all like "lolwut?" and a charge shot ends up nailing me instead of someone else T_T;; So yeah, she's a bit of a pain to have on a team.

But Marth? His sword being long and hitting your opponent? Come on. That's pretty lame. Any good Marth will space correctly. Missiles and lasers can be a bit unpredictable because you don't know who's going to jump into the way, but Marth's sword is not a moving projectile. He can control where it goes a lot better than Falco can his lasers or Samus her missiles.

Just throwing this out there, but Marth really doesn't have that disadvantage when it comes to teams.

Top Bottom