• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

tier list for teams

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ness is Top Teir in Teams (Even in Regular Tiers)

With PSI Spamming, Ness can live forever. For those of you who don't know, PSI Spamming is putting up your magnet and having your partner shooting energy at it repeatedly. Ness' PK Thunder can be used to bring your friends back if they are knocked off, just as long as you hit your friend in the front. With Ness casting a PK Fire, your ally can combo the trapped opponent. And the adanced Ness players can ask their partner to allow Ness to Yo-yo glitch him/her and have thm lure the enemies away. When you have 1 opponent left, have your partner grab the last opponent, and have Ness stand about one character length away from the two, and start dtilting as rapidly as possible. You can even have the person grabbing the opponent attack as well for added damage. This will create an infinite grab that is only escapable when Ness stops attacking. When your opponent is high enough on damage (Can go up to 999%) let Ness stop attacking. When this happens, the opponent will break free. Then, have Ness grab the opponent after he breaks free and bthrow him to his doom. :cool:

ShackDaddy

Smash Ace
Earthbound360 said:
With PSI Spamming, Ness can live forever. For those of you who don't know, PSI Spamming is putting up your magnet and having your partner shooting energy at it repeatedly. Ness' PK Thunder can be used to bring your friends back if they are knocked off, just as long as you hit your friend in the front. With Ness casting a PK Fire, your ally can combo the trapped opponent. And the adanced Ness players can ask their partner to allow Ness to Yo-yo glitch him/her and have thm lure the enemies away. When you have 1 opponent left, have your partner grab the last opponent, and have Ness stand about one character length away from the two, and start dtilting as rapidly as possible. You can even have the person grabbing the opponent attack as well for added damage. This will create an infinite grab that is only escapable when Ness stops attacking. When your opponent is high enough on damage (Can go up to 999%) let Ness stop attacking. When this happens, the opponent will break free. Then, have Ness grab the opponent after he breaks free and bthrow him to his doom. :cool:
Thats assuming u have the time and space to recover ness's hp or help ur teamates recover. Also almost any team can do the infinite grab, mewtwos is better (shadowball attacks faster than rapidly pressing a)

im not saying ness is bad, just not amazing

xelad1

Smash Ace
Razor said:
i've read other threads for guys just trying to pick up guys for team battles...but they're all mostly opinions without much explaination. i've heard different but i still have to wonder what chars are really designed for teams. marth is probably up there, falco probably isn't...any thoughts?
Isai and Ken are the best team characters, it is very hard to unlock them though

Drumma_Boi

Smash Ace
No i agree ness is really good for teams. Pwnzone and JC pwn (the louis and clark expedition) they play alot of teams but i think their most noticeable one is ness fox. they are always in prximity of each other and when they KO (or even knock away the other team they heal ness with the blaster and psi magnet. i rarely see ness go below 3 lives if they r going to win and still even if they don't win it is always a close game. Also ness can save fox with pkthunder and fos can save ness with the fox fire (having ness run into the initial part of the fire then fox useing the final part to get on the level himself. So the team ness fox is really good IMO. but thats only thanks to pwnzone and JC pwn.

This one team doesnt make ness top tier tho but i could see high or upper.

McRustyJr

Smash Lord
tier lists are for the backroomers to make, all u get here are a bunch of random noobs posting their opinions basing it off of how they and their friends play, guides they read, and videos they watch.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I can understand to an extent how a Team Tier list could be made, but it would very general. I would assume that a big part of team battle is the compatibility the characters on the same team have. With that said, the perfect tier list would have every possible character combination listed, but with 26 characters there is no way that that's going to happen.

Trespayne

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trespayne
Also an important factor would be if team attack is on or not.
Obviously with team attack off a great team is samus, link, fox, falco, and marth or any combo of those 5.
If Team attack is on (this is how I assume most people play since its how the pros play) I think great teammates are Peach, Shiek, and Falco. Me and my friend have a pretty amazing Shiek and Ganon combo also.

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
Dr. Mario - Dr. Mario
Dr. Mario - Mario
Dr. Mario - Luigi
Dr. Mario - Bowser
Dr. Mario - Peach
Dr. Mario - Yoshi
Dr. Mario - Donkey Kong
Dr. Mario - Captain Falcon
Dr. Mario - Ganondorf
Dr. Mario - Falco
Dr. Mario - Fox
Dr. Mario - Ness
Dr. Mario - Ice Climbers
Dr. Mario - Kirby
Dr. Mario - Samus
Dr. Mario - Zelda
Dr. Mario - Sheik
Dr. Mario - Link
Dr. Mario - Young Link
Dr. Mario - Pichu
Dr. Mario - Pikachu
Dr. Mario - Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario - Mewto
Dr. Mario - Mr. Game & Watch
Dr. Mario - Marth
Dr. Mario - Roy

Mario - Mario
Mario - Luigi
Mario - Bowser
Mario - Peach
Mario - Yoshi
Mario - Donkey Kong
Mario - Captain Falcon
Mario - Ganondorf
Mario - Falco
Mario - Fox
Mario - Ness
Mario - Ice Climbers
Mario - Kirby
Mario - Samus
Mario - Zelda
Mario - Sheik
Mario - Link
Mario - Young Link
Mario - Pichu
Mario - Pikachu
Mario - Jigglypuff
Mario - Mewto
Mario - Mr. Game & Watch
Mario - Marth
Mario - Roy

Luigi - Luigi
Luigi - Bowser
Luigi - Peach
Luigi - Yoshi
Luigi - Donkey Kong
Luigi - Captain Falcon
Luigi - Ganondorf
Luigi - Falco
Luigi - Fox
Luigi - Ness
Luigi - Ice Climbers
Luigi - Kirby
Luigi - Samus
Luigi - Zelda
Luigi - Sheik
Luigi - Link
Luigi - Young Link
Luigi - Pichu
Luigi - Pikachu
Luigi - Jigglypuff
Luigi - Mewto
Luigi - Mr. Game & Watch
Luigi - Marth
Luigi - Roy

Bowser - Bowser
Bowser - Peach
Bowser - Yoshi
Bowser - Donkey Kong
Bowser - Captain Falcon
Bowser - Ganondorf
Bowser - Falco
Bowser - Fox
Bowser - Ness
Bowser - Ice Climbers
Bowser - Kirby
Bowser - Samus
Bowser - Zelda
Bowser - Sheik
Bowser - Link
Bowser - Young Link
Bowser - Pichu
Bowser - Pikachu
Bowser - Jigglypuff
Bowser - Mewto
Bowser - Mr. Game & Watch
Bowser - Marth
Bowser - Roy

Peach - Peach
Peach - Yoshi
Peach - Donkey Kong
Peach - Captain Falcon
Peach - Ganondorf
Peach - Falco
Peach - Fox
Peach - Ness
Peach - Ice Climbers
Peach - Kirby
Peach - Samus
Peach - Zelda
Peach - Sheik
Peach - Link
Peach - Young Link
Peach - Pichu
Peach - Pikachu
Peach - Jigglypuff
Peach - Mewto
Peach - Mr. Game & Watch
Peach - Marth
Peach - Roy

Yoshi - Yoshi
Yoshi - Donkey Kong
Yoshi - Captain Falcon
Yoshi - Ganondorf
Yoshi - Falco
Yoshi - Fox
Yoshi - Ness
Yoshi - Ice Climbers
Yoshi - Kirby
Yoshi - Samus
Yoshi - Zelda
Yoshi - Sheik
Yoshi - Link
Yoshi - Young Link
Yoshi - Pichu
Yoshi - Pikachu
Yoshi - Jigglypuff
Yoshi - Mewto
Yoshi - Mr. Game & Watch
Yoshi - Marth
Yoshi - Roy

Donkey Kong - Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong - Captain Falcon
Donkey Kong - Ganondorf
Donkey Kong - Falco
Donkey Kong - Fox
Donkey Kong - Ness
Donkey Kong - Ice Climbers
Donkey Kong - Kirby
Donkey Kong - Samus
Donkey Kong - Zelda
Donkey Kong - Sheik
Donkey Kong - Link
Donkey Kong - Young Link
Donkey Kong - Pichu
Donkey Kong - Pikachu
Donkey Kong - Jigglypuff
Donkey Kong - Mewto
Donkey Kong - Mr. Game & Watch
Donkey Kong - Marth
Donkey Kong - Roy

Captain Falcon - Captain Falcon
Captain Falcon - Ganondorf
Captain Falcon - Falco
Captain Falcon - Fox
Captain Falcon - Ness
Captain Falcon - Ice Climbers
Captain Falcon - Kirby
Captain Falcon - Samus
Captain Falcon - Zelda
Captain Falcon - Sheik
Captain Falcon - Link
Captain Falcon - Young Link
Captain Falcon - Pichu
Captain Falcon - Pikachu
Captain Falcon - Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon - Mewto
Captain Falcon - Mr. Game & Watch
Captain Falcon - Marth
Captain Falcon - Roy

Ganondorf - Ganondorf
Ganondorf - Falco
Ganondorf - Fox
Ganondorf - Ness
Ganondorf - Ice Climbers
Ganondorf - Kirby
Ganondorf - Samus
Ganondorf - Zelda
Ganondorf - Sheik
Ganondorf - Link
Ganondorf - Young Link
Ganondorf - Pichu
Ganondorf - Pikachu
Ganondorf - Jigglypuff
Ganondorf - Mewto
Ganondorf - Mr. Game & Watch
Ganondorf - Marth
Ganondorf - Roy

Falco - Falco
Falco - Fox
Falco - Ness
Falco - Ice Climbers
Falco - Kirby
Falco - Samus
Falco - Zelda
Falco - Sheik
Falco - Link
Falco - Young Link
Falco - Pichu
Falco - Pikachu
Falco - Jigglypuff
Falco - Mewto
Falco - Mr. Game & Watch
Falco - Marth
Falco - Roy

Fox - Fox
Fox - Ness
Fox - Ice Climbers
Fox - Kirby
Fox - Samus
Fox - Zelda
Fox - Sheik
Fox - Link
Fox - Young Link
Fox - Pichu
Fox - Pikachu
Fox - Jigglypuff
Fox - Mewto
Fox - Mr. Game & Watch
Fox - Marth
Fox - Roy

Ness - Ness
Ness - Ice Climbers
Ness - Kirby
Ness - Samus
Ness - Zelda
Ness - Sheik
Ness - Link
Ness - Young Link
Ness - Pichu
Ness - Pikachu
Ness - Jigglypuff
Ness - Mewto
Ness - Mr. Game & Watch
Ness - Marth
Ness - Roy

Ice Climbers - Ice Climbers
Ice Climbers - Kirby
Ice Climbers - Samus
Ice Climbers - Zelda
Ice Climbers - Sheik
Ice Climbers - Link
Ice Climbers - Young Link
Ice Climbers - Pichu
Ice Climbers - Pikachu
Ice Climbers - Jigglypuff
Ice Climbers - Mewto
Ice Climbers - Mr. Game & Watch
Ice Climbers - Marth
Ice Climbers - Roy

Kirby - Kirby
Kirby - Samus
Kirby - Link
Kirby - Zelda
Kirby - Sheik
Kirby - Link
Kirby - Young Link
Kirby - Pichu
Kirby - Pikachu
Kirby - Jigglypuff
Kirby - Mewto
Kirby - Mr. Game & Watch
Kirby - Marth
Kirby - Roy

Samus - Samus
Samus - Link
Samus - Zelda
Samus - Sheik
Samus - Link
Samus - Young Link
Samus - Pichu
Samus - Pikachu
Samus - Jigglypuff
Samus - Mewto
Samus - Mr. Game & Watch
Samus - Marth
Samus - Roy

Zelda - Zelda
Zelda - Sheik
Zelda - Link
Zelda - Young Link
Zelda - Pichu
Zelda - Pikachu
Zelda - Jigglypuff
Zelda - Mewto
Zelda - Mr. Game & Watch
Zelda - Marth
Zelda - Roy

Sheik - Sheik
Sheik - Link
Sheik - Young Link
Sheik - Pichu
Sheik - Pikachu
Sheik - Jigglypuff
Sheik - Mewto
Sheik - Mr. Game & Watch
Sheik - Marth
Sheik - Roy

Link - Link
Link - Young Link
Link - Pichu
Link - Pikachu
Link - Jigglypuff
Link - Mr. Game & Watch
Link - Marth
Link - Roy

Young Link - Young Link
Young Link - Pichu
Young Link - Pikachu
Young Link - Jigglypuff
Young Link - Mewto
Young Link - Mr. Game & Watch
Young Link - Marth
Young Link - Roy

Pichu - Pichu
Pichu - Pikachu
Pichu - Jigglypuff
Pichu - Mewto
Pichu - Mr. Game & Watch
Pichu - Marth
Pichu - Roy

Pikachu - Pikachu
Pikachu - Jigglypuff
Pikachu - Mewto
Pikachu - Mr. Game & Watch
Pikachu - Marth
Pikachu - Roy

Jigglypuff - Jigglypuff
Jigglypuff - Mewto
Jigglypuff - Mr. Game & Watch
Jigglypuff - Marth
Jigglypuff - Roy

Mewto - Mewto
Mewto - Mr. Game & Watch
Mewto - Marth
Mewto - Roy

Mr. Game & Watch - Mr. Game & Watch
Mr. Game & Watch - Marth
Mr. Game & Watch - Roy

Marth - Marth
Marth - Roy

Roy - Roy

These are al possibilities of a team up.
and no I didn't copy this I made it just now and I am glad it is finished :)
I hope someone of y'all is going to make a tierlist, but I think that looking through all of these is a bit inhuman :chuckle:

anyways, I hope this is a bit helpfull ;)

Razorcloud

Smash Cadet
the best combo by for team damage on is peach fox due to the fact that peach can defend herself while fox handles each opponent one on one. they can set up some nasty stuff by having peach grab then fox U smash. peach (being good at survival) can act as sort of a life battery if the fox dies to quick. turnips can buy time for fox to get in posittion to edge gaurd. also due to the fact that peach has an odd ability to send you dropping over the edge at low percent fox can easily shine them to death. basically you can play peach sets em up fox knocks em down tactic or the peach defends and fox attacks tactic. for team damage off (rarely played) a marth samus team is very good just have samus stand somewhat behind marth shooting missles and plasma while marth just tries to keep his opponents at a distance. when marth is sent flying samus should try to put as much sh*t between marth and the enemies as possible. after some time of this, the attackers will go for samus, making it all to easy for marth to wail on them. teams are about tricking you opponent and mindgames, not amazing tech combos that might never happen.

IdownisthenewupI

Smash Rookie
believe it or not, Luigi and Link is an awesome team, I don't play as them but me and my friend (who either play Marth and Fox or Marth and Shiek) fought a team of Luigi and Link at a tournament a few weeks back and we got our ***** handed to us

ihatethecape

Smash Ace
ChozenOne said:
Jigglypuff isn't "top tier" material due to the fact that like Falco in singles she is too easily KO'd.
shame to see this coming from a fellow puff player. puff does not die easily, maybe it's the player :) . I personally play as puff in teams and make my opponent kill my teamate at least twice before he actually dies cuz i'm almost always available to bring him back up. crazy out of nowhere rests own and are not as hard as many people think are to manage. grab to rest is something i ***** out. k.o. easily? be more defensive. team play is about patience and working insynce, which is why puff is so awesome in teams. she/he works really well in my experience with marth and peach. dreamland 64 and mute city are very puff team friendly, and it's a big advantage when your team is peach and puff in mute city, the amount of downsmashing and wop is awesome. not to mention a rest usually means k.o. whether you get knocked off the stage or are knocked too far back to get back. it's a shame u live far. i could show you what i mean about puff on teams ;)

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
ihatethecape said:
shame to see this coming from a fellow puff player. puff does not die easily, maybe it's the player :)
It depends... Jiggly's Recovery>Everyone Else's. But that's only they b/c she can get gayed by fox, marth, and shiek... Yeay to surviving to 300 in teams!

ihatethecape said:
. mute city is very puff team friendly
Buddy... Mute city's banned due to lagg, just like FountainOfDreams... :chuckle:

ihatethecape said:
it's a shame u live far. i could show you what i mean about puff on teams ;)
Where do you live... I love going to smashfests and getting "taught"... Don't worry. I'll drive

BTW. I too hate the cape... He two stocked my Falco with his bowser back when i sucked >_<

Does anyone have any real problems with the "Teams Tier List" or should we "submit" this copy to the BackRoom and see what they have to say...

ChozenOne Out.

ihatethecape

Smash Ace
i live in orlando florida. yeah mute city banning is gay. and when you play a marth, shiek and fox you especially play defensively and wait out. something that i'm still working on. and i don't really hate the cape. just use to when i was a noob and mained samus against my friend with mario. either way people think that i meant the person which is weird. lol.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Sheik: rapid punch infintie grab, can help partner recover by juming out and using uair or dair.

Also, Pika can be good because of infinite grabs and usmash out of opponent's grab.

OMFG i almost forgot: IC's!
Desyching can be a good mindgame as well as deadly. Nanapult as a surprise. Infinite grabs.
LAWL freeze glitch if ur not in a tournament. INFINITE GRABS DUH.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Lol chozen one you forgot an entire character, DK who subsequently isn't very good at teams.

This is mine

Peach
Marth
Fox

Upper

Sheik
Captain Falcon
Samus
Gannon
Falco

High

Jiggs
Doc
Link
IC's
Luigi

Mid

Roy
Mario
Pikachu
Yoshi
Zelda

Low

Kirby
Young Link
Ness
DK
Pichu
Bowser

Bottom

Mewtwo
Game and Watch

I don't know why you had Ness so high he isn't that good at teams. Way too easy to edgeduard.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
a team dneed'nt be good because there are certain guide lines for "how to play awesomely"...sometimes two characters are the complete opposite, and their strengths cover their weaknesses. a team doesnt have to look good while examining it to look good.

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
overall affectivness is sometimes hard to measure.. and look at how effective lower tier characters can be in the right hands ie. Azen/Dire/ect. these are just guidelines.

NDigighost

Smash Apprentice
I wrote quite a long post on the "best team thread" about teambuilding, unfourtunatly, the thread died shortly thereafter. I know this isnt all relevant, but i believe breeds should be taken i nto consideration when picking the tier list.

btw, luigi is underrated in teams, he is very manueverable, heavier then you think, rarely ever team attacks and has the fire punch.
NDigighost said:
well, I always say there are a bunch of types of characters as far as doubles go.

Power Characters: Stage controllers. crowd control, basically, these guys can control the ground. they normally have good range/duration with thier moves. are not easily moved and sport good knockback. prime examples would be peach, samus, marth and ganon.

Aggresors: Gimpers, Finishers, Comboer's, all of those are in this category, a spike definatley adds points, speed is a large factor. the prime examples here would be shiek, CF, fox and falco.

Stock tanks: well, we've all seen isai stock tanking with CF, but some characters are undeniably better suited for the job then others, main charasteristics are weight and recovery. Samus and peach dominate the category, with an honorary mention for jiggs.

Characters with "extra value" in doubles: were talking about characters that are good at saving, characters that are good on 2v1, etc. This is where Jigglypuff excesl. with lag-cancels for rest and sing, plenty of new rest combo and good saves.

Synergy: some characters just "click", their knockbacks are good for passing around, their strategies compliment each other, etc. but this factor is harder to measure, and is best learnt through experience.

now, when team-building, one should normally look to have a power character and an aggresor, that way you can take risks without losing control of the stage or the match, also, the power character will get alot of intentional KS's.

Teams that work:
Peach/fox: Classic! the perfect stock-tank/power char pairs with the best aggresor on the game. saves are not uncommon and synergy is plentiful as both characters can sweetspot an upsmash from the other's grab.
Marth/fox: again, power character meets aggresor, good combination.
Marth/shiek: you dont need me to tell you about synergy, you've all seen ECD (El Chocolate Diablo, aka ken/isai) play.
Fox/Falco: at first it seems as if pairing two agressors would be a very bad idea, yet falco quickly adapts to the role of power character with this match.
You get the point...

In general, a team with two characters of the same "breed" will not work as well as mixed teams.
Control of the stage is a big factor, for example: you play multiple characters and your friend plays luigi, you must ask yourself "can his luigi hold the stage?" if the answer is no, go power.
I was actually gonna write some more about anomalies etc. but it's kinda late night here.

anyway, always keep these principals in mind when building a team. hopefully it will make you fair better.

Dr.ROC

Smash Apprentice
How about a team of peach (me) and my friend who plays ganon, we work pretty good and have pulled off some seriously sick combos on other teams.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
lol, something funny happened, i was with a team lvl 9 falco, me fox, falco fthrew firby, and a grab him 2 frames after he was thrown, it was sooooo funny. i thing this could be possible between two ganons doing ^B.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I don't know why you had Ness so high he isn't that good at teams. Way too easy to edgeduard.
Keep in mind that he has a partner. If the partner is any bit competent, he'd keep the opponents too busy to focus on edgeguarding. This weakness isn't as much of a problem as it is 1 vs. 1. Ness is the ultimate stock tank, especially with a partner that can heal him.

NDigighost

Smash Apprentice
Ultimate might be pushing it, but he's definatley up there. I think peach and samus could take him on that, since they have better recoverys. I'll make my version of the tier list when I have time.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend

i'm so sry, but STFU i mean, i respect your opinion, but you are totally and completely wrong. if you want easy to edgeguard, look at kirby.

last thought: could you have a kirby swallow team infinite?

EDIT: god, i forgot. *swears*

Scrubs

Smash Lord
LOL

Annoying1359 are you syaing that Nessm isn't easy to edgeduard??? Even in the Ness FAQ in the Ness forums it says that he is easy to edgeguard.

And people keep going on about your partner healing you... Who do you play teams against half blind 90 year olds. In theory it works but in practice you will rarely rarely get an opportunity to do it and even then you won't be able to heal a significant percent maybe 10-15 if you are lucky. Ness is alright in teams but he is definitely not above the bottom of mid tier.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Scrubs said:
LOL

Annoying1359 are you syaing that Nessm isn't easy to edgeduard??? Even in the Ness FAQ in the Ness forums it says that he is easy to edgeguard.

And people keep going on about your partner healing you... Who do you play teams against half blind 90 year olds. In theory it works but in practice you will rarely rarely get an opportunity to do it and even then you won't be able to heal a significant percent maybe 10-15 if you are lucky. Ness is alright in teams but he is definitely not above the bottom of mid tier.
Lmao, are you saying that everyone who I beat in team games is a half blind 90 year old? Sorry guys, if I've ever beaten you in a team game, you're too old to play smash. Time to take your liver pills and go back to bed...

Ok, seriously now. Don't complain about how practical certain strategies are until you've seen them in action. Some partners (such as Samus and Mewtwo) can heal 50 or so in a single relatively quick attack. Even if used once in a match, this can be enough to make a difference.

Yes, Ness is easy to edgeguard. Too easy in 1 vs. 1's. A good partner will keep opponents busy though, letting Ness get back on stage. This makes it less of a problem in a team game.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
For people talking about Kirby, don't forget that you can also absorb partner's powers after every kill. Falco's laser, Samus' blast (shoot them uncharged for best results), even Shiek's needles (as if he needed to edgeguard any better). He's a stock-tank and simply amazing in teams.

Ness is great with Fox. JC Pwn and Pwnzone are not random glitches of luck, they use team strategy to great extent. Just imagine if the Ness were MoFo or Simna and the Fox KDJ, M2K, Chillin...
With others, Ness is alright but loses that life recovery and the partner necessary to finish the opponent off.

YLink is not low Tier. It's easy to tell that no one posting ITT has ever given him a try. He's fast, he has a great recovery and can stock-tank, stops opponent's combos from a mile away by throwing bombs or boomerang, and can hold his own against many top tiers (excluding Sheik ;_;). Yeah, not low tier.

And these are just three of the underused low-tier characters. I don't know about anyone else, but seeing Fox/Falco and Marth/Shiek teams every ****ing match is boring as hell.

Top Bottom