• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier list alternative - Rate the characters! (experienced players only)

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Ok after some elementary school maths i got the latest ranks.

I got some votings rounded to make it easier. Please only vote: .0 .25 .5 and .75

Players voted: NixxxoN, Sirhc, Peek~, KoRoBeNiKi, Nintendude1189, †¹Ãgøn¥¹†, RocheCL, z33ke, TehBo49, greenblob, nesshero, Zen Yore, MattNF

Pikachu - 129.75
Fox - 118.75
Kirby - 115.75
Falcon - 111,75
Mario - 106.25
Jigglypuff - 98.5
Ness - 96
Yoshi - 91.5
DK - 82
Luigi - 77.75
Link - 70
Samus - 65.5

Pika is beating the crap out of the rest, Fox is 2nd placed, Ness is mid tier and Samus is bottom.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Hey add mine from before lol
Im adjusting scores
Pikachu - 10
Fox - 9.5
Kirby - 9
Mario - 8.5
Jigglypuff - 8
Falcon - 7.5
Yoshi - 5
Luigi: 4.5
Ness: 4
DK - 3.5
Link - 3
Samus - 2

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
Nah, imo luigi is better then DK,Link,Yoshi and possibly Jiggly. He can kill really easily and has a good edge guard ability and his recovery has good priority.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
Yoshi is way more hard to use then luigi, so at a low level luigi is better, but if it's a real yoshi user, then ok. But are tiers based on the characters themselves or their potential? Just wondering to make things clear.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Yoshi is way more hard to use then luigi, so at a low level luigi is better, but if it's a real yoshi user, then ok. But are tiers based on the characters themselves or their potential? Just wondering to make things clear.
It's pretty much based of potential/how they're expected to place in tournaments.

greenblob

Smash Lord
The tier list is based on the current highest level of play.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
Samus should be higher though, 'cause like her combos are pretty easy and she got good defensive skills and her recovery can be tricky to edge guard. Plus her hitstun is so short compared to others, she can Dair you right after a Uair of the other character.

AvengerAngel

Smash Journeyman
Lulz, I guess he was talking about Dair tech chasing :p

btw I really can't understand why people think Ness is low-middle tier o_O
His utilt his almost broken, his smashes have good range and good priority, his aerial are scary and he can easily tech chase. The djc allows him to break shields without much effort. The point is his recovery isn't really good, but still I think it's way better than Fox' or Falcon's recovery :O

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Lulz, I guess he was talking about Dair tech chasing :p

btw I really can't understand why people think Ness is low-middle tier o_O
His utilt his almost broken, his smashes have good range and good priority, his aerial are scary and he can easily tech chase. The djc allows him to break shields without much effort. The point is his recovery isn't really good, but still I think it's way better than Fox' or Falcon's recovery :O
i agree with this, cept last part, its not better, but its about the same really...all easy to gimp

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Yeah, but I think (I'm not sure though) Ness' recovery can cover more distance than Fox' and Falcon's :p
It can cover a lot more. Some of the returns Ness can make are insane vs. characters that can't go too far away from an edge to edgeguard without dying. A good example is near the bottom on the right side of hyrule, right up against the wall. If Ness shoots straight up he'll survive from very far down. Of course in this situation, sweetspotting the ledge is easier, and the risk to gimp is higher because you might get hit by the up+b. Whereas if he were higher and farther away, he would be easily gimped while falling towards the stage after his up+b, even if only for a short time, making it equal more or less to Fox/Falcon.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Ness recovery is rubbish, slow as ****, the easiest to intercept and easy to interrupt the up+b process. Although he can go back from a lot of distance, this doesnt really mean its good.
Possibly the only way to do a "secure" recover is to sweetspot from behind, and its not easy at all... And try to do it against a good pikachu? Lets say its impossible.

Ness and Link are similar in the way they should be much better ranked with a decent recovery.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
The only reason why I put ness so low on the tier list is because of his recovery and that every single ness plays basically the exact same way. It is like playing against a zelda in melee. Once you get used to most good ness's....they become easy

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
The only reason why I put ness so low on the tier list is because of his recovery and that every single ness plays basically the exact same way. It is like playing against a zelda in melee. Once you get used to most good ness's....they become easy
the same could be said about every char

"once you learn how to beat them, you can beat them"

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
the same could be said about every char

"once you learn how to beat them, you can beat them"
Im more saying about how every one of them plays.
every single ness plays the exact same way. This is not the same of any other Character besides in some ways falcon but falcon can actually easily 0 to death.

ThePacifist

Smash Rookie
I'll agree that you can get used to gimping ness's recovery, and that it hurts his standing a little, but his ability to combo and DJC more than make up for this.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
but boom fan said D:

Hardtoseesarcasim
lol sorry but where's the sarcasm?

ThePacifist said:
I'll agree that you can get used to gimping ness's recovery, and that it hurts his standing a little, but his ability to combo and DJC more than make up for this.
The same could be said with most of chars... Makes up for what? for being high tier? I dont agree.

IntensiveCareBear

Smash Rookie
Ok after some elementary school maths i got the latest ranks.

I got some votings rounded to make it easier. Please only vote: .0 .25 .5 and .75

Players voted: NixxxoN, Sirhc, Peek~, KoRoBeNiKi, Nintendude1189, †¹Ãgøn¥¹†, RocheCL, z33ke, TehBo49, greenblob, nesshero, Zen Yore, MattNF

Pikachu - 129.75
Fox - 118.75
Kirby - 115.75
Falcon - 111,75
Mario - 106.25
Jigglypuff - 98.5
Ness - 96
Yoshi - 91.5
DK - 82
Luigi - 77.75
Link - 70
Samus - 65.5

Pika is beating the crap out of the rest, Fox is 2nd placed, Ness is mid tier and Samus is bottom.
I can live with this... EXCEPT for the fact that jiggs is below mario?... come on...

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
sure ness' onstage game is very good but once he gets hit he's just done.

I wouldn’t say once he gets hit but...once he gets offstage

Most chars are doomed once they are thrown out though, or at least will have almost no hope of coming back

Fox, Falcon, Link, and Ness

They are all very hopeless for recovery DK also has a hard time but, he has frames so his is better then the rest...for the most part.

If someone is playing Ness, and they know what they are doing, they will pressure the FOE to go off the stage, and that’s very easy for ness to do with such from Grabs and high priority Aerials, or the Ness can play it save and just stage towards the center of the stage and avoid the edges, which is also very easy because ness can DJC attacks quickly to make it very hard to approach.

Hyrule is a haven for Ness, he can hide in the **** tent or pressure someone else into it and once he does he is at an extreme advantage (unless you’re facing pika ...And maybe fox) combos come easy and everywhere, plus he can edge guard on both sides of Hyrule, with almost no risk, D-smash or Spike (repeat if you knocked them away, but not killed them), then return to the center of the stage.

Of course all this being said a good Ness would of course be a bit more defensive then offensive, and that maybe the #1 reason why people see Ness as a middle tier char, almost EVERYONE plays every char offensively which leads to defensive chars failing, and making a bad name for themselves.

Abuse his throws, it works.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Ness fails at every stage besides Hyule, Sector Z and the Jungle.

Also, he lacks fast and powerful finishers to knock the others out... His yoyo is slow, his smash attack is slow, his upsmash is powerful but only knocks out with a high %.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Ness fails at every stage besides Hyule, Sector Z and the Jungle.

Also, he lacks fast and powerful finishers to knock the others out... His yoyo is slow, his smash attack is slow, his upsmash is powerful but only knocks out with a high %.
beware of Spike, Bair, and theres nothing wrong with having broken hitboxes for U&Dsmashes

Top Bottom