• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier list alternative - Rate the characters! (experienced players only)

Zantetsu

Smash Master
We need to put in mind that characters can be tied on a tier list. The new melee tier list has Marth and Fox tied for top as well as Jiggly and Falcon tied in high.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I think Falcon spike is better than Ness... faster, has bigger hitbox and you can use it in a longer range with much less risk.

MattNF

Smash Lord
Thanks for recapping the last three posts between us, I wasn't able to read them myself.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
are u sure
Falcon is faster than Ness in aerial attacks and Falcons spike hitbox goes from the foot to the head I think..bigger then Ness clearly

Kso4351 said:
People who john about keyboard players only john about it because of massive smash DI. other than that, there is no real advantage. 0_o
There are more disadvantages than advantages. True that you can pull off some huge DI, but... You cant tilt immediately and you cant be so precise with the directions and with difficult combos. In general you struggle to do the precise stuff.

MattNF

Smash Lord
There are more disadvantages than advantages. True that you can pull off some huge DI, but... You cant tilt immediately and you cant be so precise with the directions and with difficult combos. In general you struggle to do the precise stuff.
Yeah, Keyboard has some advantages but the disadvantages kind of balance it out. Another thing that's a disadvantage is when you're playing as Fox or Pikachu. When you do your up-b, you have less options on the directions you can go.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Falcon is faster than Ness in aerial attacks and Falcons spike hitbox goes from the foot to the head I think..bigger then Ness clearly

much like D-pad

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
ness has better priority than falcon

Ness has better down air

But kirby's gimping down air is better.....

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
I always skipped this thread, don't know why. I'll try to post my ratings.

Pikachu - 10 (just the best char, except for beginners, then it's kirby)
Kirby - 9.5 (although cheap, if you master this character there is not much you can do against his high priority attacks)
Fox - 8.25 (weak recovery, but his close and wide range attacks and speed punish everyone who even considers playing defensively or thinks slower)
Ness - 8 (uptilt has such high priority, his djc'd aerials make him really strong)
Falcon - 7.5 (combo master)
Jigglypuff - 7.25 (two great killing moves, recovery is not that bad, play it safe and jiggs can be devastating, and teleport glitch allows more movement options. Mistakes hurt him/her a lot, but that is not considered in this list)
Mario - 7 (his upsmash is hard to avoid, but when you know how to avoid it mario loses his top killing move, but his recovery is still sick)
Luigi - 6.75 (has the best of jiggly and mario, but somehow he is still weaker than both)
Yoshi - 6.25 (my own yoshi sucks and i've never seen a good one, but i know he's not bottom 3)
Samus - 6 (aerials are very good, upB cancels a lot of combo's and approaches, edgeguard is not bad and the charging can change the play of your opponent)
DK 5.75 (grabs are what makes him good, his other attacks are just too slow for good players)
Link - 5.5 (he has nothing that really stands out, ranged attacks can be easily avoided by good players, unlike fox's lasers, aerials are good but not as good as other's)

Also if anyone can convince me that something in my list is wrong, I will certainly reconsider.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Mario - 7.5
DK - 8.5
Link - 9

That's right. Link is a god if you can space well and know what to do when an opportunity arises. Poor recovery and grab hinder him, but his weight stops him from flying too far at low percents, and he has the two of the best projectiles in the game, one offering significant hitstun and good range, and the other a variety of flightpaths.

Samus - 6
Yoshi - 8.5
Kirby - 9
Fox - 8.5
Pika - 9.5
Luigi - 7
C. Falcon - 8
Ness - 9
Jigglypuff - 8.5

I find it so hard to rate low. Everyone's a great char, in my opinion.

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
Not quite there. Link can be good...until you make a single mistake. Then, he's basically screwed and off the edge with no chance of recovery, if your opponent knows what they're doing at least. Link's weight also only lends itself to comboability, Link gets comboed almost as bad as Falcon. Link's boomerang can be easily stopped with a high priority aerial, and his bombs hardly pose a threat.

I can see a lot of other stuff that's wrong with your list as well. DK, Yoshi, Fox and Jiggly make up High Tier? Trust me, as a DK main, he's certainly not on par with Fox, neither is Yoshi. Neither is Jiggly, but by a much smaller margin than DK and Yoshi.

Ness' recovery is easily punishable, so he really shouldn't be tied with Kirby at second place. I also find that Ness is a predictable character, to the point where I often counter-pick Ness with Mario using Neutral aerials to break poorly spaced DJCs.

Falcon, 8? Falcon, WORSE than DK and Yoshi? Or Jiggly for that matter? I'd really like to know your reasoning for this. I mean, he is easily comboed, but he also easily combos everyone (save the floaties). And really, it's Falcon. Taunt cancel -> Reverse Falcon Punch = Too good.

And now it's time to make my own list:

Pikachu - 10
Fox - 9
Kirby - 8.5
Ness - 8
Captain Falcon - 8
Mario - 7.5
Jigglypuff - 7
Yoshi - 6
DK - 5
Luigi - 4.5
Link - 4
Samus - 3

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Mario - 7.5
DK - 8.5
Link - 9

That's right. Link is a god if you can space well and know what to do when an opportunity arises. Poor recovery and grab hinder him, but his weight stops him from flying too far at low percents, and he has the two of the best projectiles in the game, one offering significant hitstun and good range, and the other a variety of flightpaths.

Samus - 6
Yoshi - 8.5
Kirby - 9
Fox - 8.5
Pika - 9.5
Luigi - 7
C. Falcon - 8
Ness - 9
Jigglypuff - 8.5

Throws

10throws4link

Wow, Surri, come on. Kirby has the best spike, everybody knows that nowadays...
i know that, but i argue for the fun of it...and you people suck at argueing...really.

NO ONE said kirbys spike is better because it has multiple hits which all spike, and thats really the main factor that makes his the best..it stays out forever ...come on people...

how can we make the tier better if no one even knows how to defend what they think =.=

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Updated rankings.

Players voted: NixxxoN, Sirhc, Peek~, KoRoBeNiKi, Nintendude1189, †¹Ãgøn¥¹†, RocheCL, z33ke, TehBo49, greenblob, nesshero, Zen Yore, MattNF, Lawrencelot, Blackshadow69. I don't know if i should add cheeseball341...

Pikachu - 149.75
Fox - 136
Kirby - 133.75
Falcon - 127.25
Mario - 120.75
Jigglypuff - 112.75
Ness - 112
Yoshi - 103.75
DK - 93.75
Luigi - 89
Link - 79.5
Samus - 74.5

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
Mario - 7.5
DK - 8.5
Link - 9

Samus - 6
Yoshi - 8.5
Kirby - 9
Fox - 8.5
Pika - 9.5
Luigi - 7
C. Falcon - 8
Ness - 9
Jigglypuff - 8.5

10failures

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Updated rankings.

Players voted: NixxxoN, Sirhc, Peek~, KoRoBeNiKi, Nintendude1189, †¹Ãgøn¥¹†, RocheCL, z33ke, TehBo49, greenblob, nesshero, Zen Yore, MattNF, Lawrencelot, Blackshadow69. I don't know if i should add cheeseball341...

Pikachu - 149.75
Fox - 136
Kirby - 133.75
Falcon - 127.25
Mario - 120.75
Jigglypuff - 112.75
Ness - 112
Yoshi - 103.75
DK - 93.75
Luigi - 89
Link - 79.5
Samus - 74.5
the answer is no

Grunt

Smash Master
Mario - 7.5
DK - 8.5
Link - 9

Samus - 6
Yoshi - 8.5
Kirby - 9
Fox - 8.5
Pika - 9.5
Luigi - 7
C. Falcon - 8
Ness - 9
Jigglypuff - 8.5

This list is so Pro, it hurts to look at it.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Or DK, Jiggs, and Yoshi being a whole point higher than Mario? I'm not experienced, but I know that's wrong.

Nixxon I think was joking in that "I don't know about cheeseball", in that he does know, no. :p

Might as well rate for lulz, although don't take it, I suck. :p Fully using 10 - 0, 10 is best, 0 is worst.
Pikachu - 10
Fox - 9
Kirby - 8.5
Captain Falcon - 8 [swap with Kirby?]
Ness - 7
Mario - 6
Jiggs - 5
Luigi - 4
DK - 2.5
Yoshi - 2
Link - 1.5
Samus - 0

Not saying Samus as not usable, just worst so zero. And I pulled these numbers out of ***, so...

greenblob

Smash Lord
Updated rankings.

Pikachu - 149.75
Fox - 136
Kirby - 133.75
Falcon - 127.25
Mario - 120.75
Jigglypuff - 112.75
Ness - 112
Yoshi - 103.75
DK - 93.75
Luigi - 89
Link - 79.5
Samus - 74.5
Or...
Pika-10
Fox-9.1
Kirby-8.9
Falcon-8.5
Mario-8.1
Jiggly-7.5
Ness-7.5
Yoshi-6.9
DK-6.3
Luigi-5.9
Link-5.3
Samus-5.0

So it seems like the average Tier List is...

Pika

High
Fox
Kirby

Mid
Falcon
Mario

Low
Jiggly
Ness

Bottom
Yoshi
DK
Luigi

Turd
Link
Samus

And Superstar is right, use the whole **** scale people!

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Or...
Pika-10
Fox-9.1
Kirby-8.9
Falcon-8.5
Mario-8.1
Jiggly-7.5
Ness-7.5
Yoshi-6.9
DK-6.3
Luigi-5.9
Link-5.3
Samus-5.0

So it seems like the average Tier List is...

Pika

High
Fox
Kirby

Mid
Falcon
Mario

Low
Jiggly
Ness

Bottom
Yoshi
DK
Luigi

Turd
Link
Samus

And Superstar is right, use the whole **** scale people!
highlighted the stupidness

Top Bottom