• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on FL Power Rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihatethecape

Smash Ace
I know this is an always very controversial topic but keep in mind, with some cooperation and patience I really think we can do at least a top 25 or so again. Imo.

First, we would need judges from the different types of regions. an accurate representation of the different regions would be great. Kind of like the house of representatives type thing. That can be decided.

Second, Judging players on list. Instead of just stating, we could have a ballot type thing. where we enter our top 25. This will only be a reflection of the general consensus and the judges would take this into account.

Third, taking into account that players added are active members of the community.

Furthermore, at this time only a ranking of players and not anything more specific like best player with said character, would not be generated.

I think if we all work together and treat each other with respect and think about what we say we could come to an agreement.

Opinions, comments and ideas greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
I think the ranking would look like this though:

Top 25:

FL
FL
FL
FL
FL
FL

haha you guys are too good...

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
The day after I became a mod we had a huge discussion on AIM for a few hours about this!!!

We figured out the top 10 at the time (which was after MOM AID I) and had decided on 2 panelists (2 SEFL, 2 SWFL, 2 CFL, and 1 NFL) from each region!!!

I dunno if you guys had some plans for how to do it, but if you want to get serious about it, we could always continue from what we tried to start fall of last year!!!

:colorful:

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
Well I think if we have one representative from each region we'd be good.

QDVS for SWFL

Exarch or Fenrir for CFL (whoever is more familiar with the current scene)

somebody like pritch, drummaboi, or mankosuki for NFL (manko's in tampa now in college i hear though).

Not to toot my own horn, but I think i'd be good to represent SEFL just because i've been going to pretty much every single tournament in the area, plus I go places for other random smashfests. I'm sure people like Green mario or lambchops would also be good choices (doubt either of them would care to do it though), I think it should be up to QDVS though to make and organize the topic cause i would think he'd be most familiar with the rules around it. mister mod, lawl.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Yeah, on that list, wasn't I like #17 or something...?

I mean, in this, I'm REALLY going to try to keep from going all cocky...but I really think I deserve a higher spot, simply from tourney placings when SFL was there, or in the recent SFL tourneys I actually attended...and with my match outcomes with other players, as well.

I think having a large number of judges on this to vote on it would be good...very good.
EDIT: Actually, Xif, I think a voting system with 2 from each (except maybe 1 from NFL) is the better idea...idk...if it is just one, then it should be Exarch, because he's better suited for it. If it is 2, then he and I would do it.

I would like to say, though, that Tournament placings SHOULD be very heavily weighted in terms of ranking, but I also think we need to look at matchups between players... If one player is better than every other player at a tournament except for one, it is possible that he will place around 5th, just from playing that one player twice. This is not an accurate placing of his rank, and I think it needs considered...other forms of bracket wrecking influence the whole list, as well...and we all know it happens from time to time.

If a person places top ten at every larger tournament he attends, including at least one recently...say in the past 2 months or so...(just to keep the "rusty" factor out of play) he should be in the top 10 on the list. I think we can all agree to that.

The problem with that, however, is that all of FL coming together for a single tournament almost never happens. The closest we've had to that recently have been CFL tournaments where Rock, Q, Shiz, Speedn, UI, Sigh, and others all came...
The likelihood of all of the best in state attending a single tournament doesn't looke very good. Probably the only time in the near future this will happen is Exarch's tourney on Feb 3rd...it's looking to be fairly big.

So how we weight the regions will be interesting. Again, I'm trying to not be cocky here, and I will continue to try...but I feel that C FL is often overlooked. It is becoming larger and more respected as of late... but even when GSpot was around, they were forgotten at times because they had "quit", until they came down to Miami and won another tournament.

I'm really not sure how to correct this, as I do feel that SWFL is the strongest section of the state at present. So maybe there could be some sort of weight system? I really can't say how to resolve this, as not all of SWFL is better than any other region, obviously...

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
The problem is CFL doesn't often go to SFL tourneys, and very little SFL goes to CFL ones. Therefore, you can see how each region places against themselves but not really against one another.

Not to mention that NFL mostly does OOS and hardly any FL tourneys so it's even harder to rank them. While people most likely underestimate NFL, at the only FL tourney Panhandle Manhandlers have attended so far [post=1640913]08/12/06 - Get Commited[/post] Rice ranked higher than any other CFL at 7th and I was right under him at 9th along with Exarch. Top 5 was all SFL. Same thing happened for teams.

I had actually kept track of tourney brackets/results from past CFL tourneys and made a point chart for the CFL/NFL smashers. I didn't touch SFL tourneys at all though. So I already have a CFL/NFL Power rankings list of my own based solely on tourney results. SFL could do a similar list, though it may be a little difficult to combine the two. NFL really needs to attend more FL tourneys though cause there's very little to go on for them.

(QDVS: why haven't I been able to take over for you yet? PrinceZane took over for MookieRah. ;))

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
yeah, I know but you also lost the losers set with him. Although you main Roy now, I guess you weren't as far along at that point? and apparently Derf did bad cause I remember him complaining about it. Also most the CFL players were Gainesville instead of Orlando, not alot of Name Cancled was there, and neither was Phanna.

But that's why you can't go on results alone, alot of variables pop up. Still, that's the only tourney NFL has been to, and they did well. Gotta give props there.

What I mean is, how would you know how to place someone like Rice among other smashers when that's all you have to go by? You can't really... and to a lesser degree it happens when compareing CFL to SFL as well.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
yep, I had linked the full results post as a reference. [post=1640913]but here it is again[/post]

5th was Doodah & 1-up, 7th was Sighrax & Rice. So really SEFL was top 7.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Um, yeah, it was SE top 7...but again, many of the best CFL players weren't there. The only ones from my crew that went were Ex and Derf. Ex played Roy for one of the first tourneys he did...if not the first, and Derf had a terrible day, apparently.

But among the people who didn't go....you have me, DF, Hozart, The Law, etc etc etc...

...I'm not necessarily saying the standings would have changed if we had been there, but I can say that it was pretty likely that one or more of us would have made top 7 at least... Nobody can say for sure b/c we did not, in fact, make it...

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Well since almost all of the good FL smashers are going to exarch's tourney you guys should do a best vs best of each region or some such. So it would be something like...

CF
1. DarkFalchion
2. ---
3. ---
4. ---
5. ---

vs

SWFL
1. DaShizWiz
2. ---
3. ---
4. ---
5. ---

vs

SEFL
1. Lambchops
etc etc

Yah, you get the idea. Sorry NFL I don't know whos good there.

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
I think the easiest way to do this is to make 3 or 4 different lists for the different regions. Right now, its to hard to say whos the best out of all the regions because a huge florida tourney where everyone attends happens like... Once in a blue moon. Once florida has a few more of these kind of tourneys i'll bet a full list could be made.

Pritch

Smash Lord
somebody like pritch, drummaboi, or mankosuki for NFL (manko's in tampa now in college i hear though).
Shouldn't be me, There's no one over here in jacksonville. I play more with central fl people than other north fl people excluding noobs at unf. Hit up one of the panhandle guys for the nfl slot, they actually have a scene over there.

ihatethecape

Smash Ace
well yes q you should take over but something i think that i said that might help with egos and little debates is the ballot thing where you vote in your top 25. the judges could look at this when maybe undecided about certain players. and then come out with the final 25 and then have us vote on our ranking of the top 25 as to which order they go and use that as a reflection and then the judges could put them in order.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
I'd probably still be the only person qualified to do NFL. Since I've lived in both the West and the East sides for NFL. I still keep up with my first crew, The Panhandle Manhandlers and visit every now and then so I'm able to keep up with what's going on there. As Pritch said, Jacksonville's died down alot so there's not much to track there though.

I'm the only guy who can really compare West NFL to East NFL. Since I'm now living in CFL and have attended more FL tourneys, I'd also have an idea of where they rank among other FL smashers.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
No, no one should vote for the Top 25, too much biase, were not going by biase, were going by skill and tourney placing. Queen, you shouldn't be a panelist, you said yourself you are biased(End of story). SWFL panelist should be SmashMac, he isn't biased in any way, and he knows how good everyone is, and would go by tourney placings.

My opinion for Top 5:

1. Me
2. KeepSpeedN
3. Noucles
4. Lambchops
5. Xif/Green Mario

The other 5 would be between,

RockCrock
QueenDVS
Col Bal
Fenrir
Dark Falchion
DooDah

Some others...

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
Shiz don't put out a list yet, it'll just start ****...we need to decide on a good way of handling this first!!!

I think Barry and myself would be good panelists if we did 2 from each region, but I dunno about having Barry if we only use one since he hasn't been to many tourneys lately!!!

Oh and concerning bias...everyone has biases...but you have to have the ability to understand why you have the biases that you have and also be able to put them aside when making a list such as this!!!

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I still think doing a top 5 vs top 5 from each region at Exarch's tourney is the best way to solve this. Heres my opinion on a CF top 5:

1. DarkFalchion
2. Fenrir
3. Hozart
4. Colbol
5. Exarch/TheLaw/Derf/Skrach/AngryLobster/Vijin

I don't think Melbourne is going to Exarch's tourney so that eliminates AL and Vijin. Uuaa would also be in the mix but I'm fairly certain WATO isn't going to Exarch's either. So yah, the 5th spot would be between Exarch, TheLaw, Derf, and Skrach.

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
If anything the list should start AFTER LTEC since that will have most of the best from each region!!!

Or if we want to keep it simple we can just do a best of each region, cause lately SWFL doesn't even play SEFL much either!!!

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
He knows how good everyone is? When was the last time he was at a tournament?

Yeah he knows how good everyone is, he's played almost everyone. And it doesn't matter what was the last tournament he went to, I said he'd go by tournament placings,(Results posted).

I don't want to do a Top 5 vs Top 5, lets just do this tournament and how good people place ok? Cause there are certain matchups and what not that will make your skill look bad. It should just depend on tournament placings, and how good you do vs Everyone in FL.

Edit: I'm gonna try to use mostly Fox at this tournament coming up :).

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Actually, neither do I... and btw, if you're judging CFL's best, you definitely have to give Exarch and Derf more credit than you are...I could go into reasons, but I don't want to right now.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
I don't either, but I would pretty much have to act as NFL representitive if there were to be one.

*updates [thread=70386]FL Thread[/thread] announcements section*

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Actually, neither do I... and btw, if you're judging CFL's best, you definitely have to give Exarch and Derf more credit than you are...I could go into reasons, but I don't want to right now.
I'm not exactly sure how I could give them any more credit. If you're implying that I'm being biased towards my crew members by not automatically having all the Cake Eaters top 5 you're wrong. Colbol has two 2nd place finishes, a 5th, and like a 7th over the past 4 Gigs. I don't see how you can exclude him from the top 5. As for 5th I would certainly give one of the Cake Eaters priority over Skrach because they do usually place a bit better. I don't however think they are much if any more skilled than him though. And for the love of God I hope none of the Cake Eaters take this post offensive because I think you're all cool. I'm just stating my honest opinion. :)

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
no no no...I wasn't meaning to sound defensive, and I apologize if I did...

Like, Diego didn't even mention Derf, when he might be a better choice than even I would...you know? I'm not saying anything against TNT or anybody you mentioned there...

And Exarch's last tourney placings have generally been with Roy and M2...so you can't really go on just that for him...

i don't really know what I was saying...just don't take offense...none meant.

Young Ic3

Smash Journeyman
OMFG!

It's clear that all of you guys suck!!! PLain and SIMPLE! I SWEAR Ima have to take my belt of for this.

YOU GUYS SUCK!!!

/hate

XIF is a beast cause he ate two quarter stackers....

But this is just stupid... no matter who's the best in FL we always get beasted by other players outside of Florida. *Real Talk*

So just end this now... you can be the best of the state but outside of that you can be the worst period!

-1-

-Beastcoast

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
just from these little 3 pages i can see that this is gonna b pretty difficult...people are already complaining and there have been biased comments already...im with exarch and fenrir and manko...i dont support a power ranking....peace

-hiroshi
worst fl smasher

ihatethecape

Smash Ace
derf is a beast, exarch is a beast. i'm not sayin that and yes you are right, derf has come a longer way in placings then skrach but i definately think that colbol is in the top 5 not just b/c he is in my crew. so i guess i would say something like df, fenrir, don't blink, hozart and derf. i would say derf/exarch but exarch hasn't been playing peach, we all know he ***** with peach so my answer would definately be different if he wasplying peach instead of roy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom