• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on Doc playing styles?

DRD

Smash Lord
I know there are aggressive docs(like Bob$) and defensive docs (like HMW), and maybe some doc players who mix it up between the two.

How do you personally play Doc, and which do you think is most practical/effective?

My Doc seems a little more aggressive, but its only because I don't have a lot of experience, especially regarding spacing. I'm thinking of taking my Doc into a more defensive direction. I dunno, it seems safer, and I like the way they play.

Thoughts?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Aggressive jab grabs for the win!

I dunno, projectile camping is boring to me and I start messing up spacing because I don't focus and then I die because I try to use the... Doc Tornado or whatever and I don't actually get anything from it.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
I think Shroomed and I have really similar docs. I don't know what you would call the style but whenever I watch his vids I'm always thinking hey, that's what I would have done. I like his doc :bee:

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
Eighteen, as an aspiring Doc i've always been a huge fan of your style. Excuse me if that sounds creepy. I watch alot of videos of sick docs on youtube =D. I also enjoyed your combo video. Lawl.

Anyway, abandoning fanboydom, and posting for the sake of this thread, I'd have to say my style is a mixture of really mobile pillgame (DJ pill, FJ waveland pill, SH pill, pillrush, etc.) with tons of wavedashing into jabs, grabs, and pivot-smashes. I also tend to do alot of reverse SHFFL'd aerials. I'm generally more cautious, I don't really go insane after people, but once I get a good opening I build momentum pretty quickly.

And I freakin' LOVE the Dair--> bair for edgeguarding, as used so awesomely by my man 'spikes.

HiIH

Smash Lord
**** you guys, Doc is meant to be played like Ganon. Fair spacing obv obv.

Actually, I dunno. Depends on what I'm fighting. Against a Marth I'll pill spam, and play alot more defensively (like baiting a hit onto my shield or trying to space Bairs). Against a Spacie, I'll play alot more aggressively.

otg

Smash Master
I like the different Doc styles, but I can't compare my own to any particular Doc player because frankly... I think most of the Doc's who I liked when I first started playing actually suck. I'm not going to name names, but certain combos just don't work on people who can actually DI.

I think the best style Doc is a hybrid of offense and defense. Some pill spam/camping here and there, good jab mindgames, the occasional bob$ gimp, knowing the throw->fair kos not. I think the Docs that suck are the one's who try to hard to Uair combo the balls out of people and try to emulate bob$ because frankly... that **** is just not possible.

Roman.

Smash Champion
I like the different Doc styles, but I can't compare my own to any particular Doc player because frankly... I think most of the Doc's who I liked when I first started playing actually suck. I'm not going to name names, but certain combos just don't work on people who can actually DI.

I think the best style Doc is a hybrid of offense and defense. Some pill spam/camping here and there, good jab mindgames, the occasional bob$ gimp, knowing the throw->fair kos not. I think the Docs that suck are the one's who try to hard to Uair combo the balls out of people and try to emulate bob$ because frankly... that **** is just not possible.
it's not that hard to get massive uair combos

i was playing a ganon today at a tournament and on FD if he ever tried to use a dj aerial, utilt can out prioritize it every time and then they have no jump

did it to a falcon too but he was garbage lol

but i don't recommend trying to set-up uair combos from like grabs or anything cause they will hit you or jump out of it

so yeah, i totally agree with you otg

otg

Smash Master
I mean hell, with the right spacing and setup you can pull off some ******** Uair juggles... but Doc ain't Falcon... he isn't built for it. And yeah, it's def easy to Uair juggle Ganon, mofo is too **** big lol.

DRD

Smash Lord

I always hear about "guaranteed f.air from D.throw at such and such % on such and such character". Is this not always the case? Of course there's DI to consider but you could compensate for that by just following it, right?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
No it's not.

Do it too early or too late and watch how you get punished for it, unless people let you do it to them when it shouldnt work.

Or, you could try it on samus period, and see what foot does to you.

DRD

Smash Lord
I wondered why I didn't see it more often in Doc videos if it was so useful.

Hah, I need to play against some of your guys' Docs, see what I'm doing wrong firsthand

otg

Smash Master
I wondered why I didn't see it more often in Doc videos if it was so useful.

Hah, I need to play against some of your guys' Docs, see what I'm doing wrong firsthand
I mean... it's not always guaranteed that you will get a grab at the right percents? I think any good Doc around here would agree that you WILL do throw->fair when given the chance. If not, you can always improvise.

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
idk why im looking at this since i dont play doc but i used to!
play perfect japanese doc. dthrow or uthrow to fair is perfect.
personally, i think you should play your own way. be original. break the rules. enjoy yourself.

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman

I feel you there, bro. When I started playing competitively I must have watched "Evolution" a thousand times. Since then I've definitely moved on to separating the flashy from the real; but somehow I enjoy a grimier, more down-to-earth style than the more spectacular stuff.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
my style i used to think was pretty original only because i NEVER used upair.

when developing my doc I just happened to play him and get good with him i never fashioned myself after any pro. doc was a char i picked up by myself and developed. then i met a friend of mine who also plays competitvely and he was shocked that i didnt Upair at all.

i do use it a bit now.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
i play very simple with doc, like i don't use autocanceled SH-bairs to waveland and stuff although i could if i practiced it a bit.
And i like to dashcancel+smash/tilt alot ^^

Top Bottom