• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This world... - The Subspace Emissary

Evil E.

Smash Ace
NNID
Elmoyounasty
It wuz either a story mode...

Regular battle...

Why were they shaking hands ??? Co-op ADVENTURE MODE!!!!!

what the hell wuz that thing??? BLACK MAGE CONFIRMED!!!!

Kirby came in on a Warp Star...... ENTRANCES CONFIRMED IN BRAWL!!!!

Or maybe in the game we could have to fight the "Virus" that turns characters bad...

This update actually only tells us that brawl is gonna be one hell of a game... and dnot just another SMASHBROS,

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Makes sense with Meta as a bad guy.. Since it is Sakurai's character.. he can do whatever he wants to with him ^^

I wanna see his face behind the mask...

Edit: Nvm

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Makes sense with Meta as a bad guy.. Since it is Sakurai's character.. he can do whatever he wants to with him ^^

Maybe that blob is Meta's true form without the armor! (Probably not,but you never know)Also,maybe he starts out as a villain but eventually becomes a good guy?

Flatfeet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flatfeet
My opinion? It's nothing but cloud. It's natural to try and distinguish faces in inanimate things like clouds, ground, trees, water, etc. As much as I would like to say that there're villains in the clouds, I know it's just my imagination coupled with wishful thinking. :ohwell:

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
EDIT: Ik zie nou pas dat je NL bent :p.
Khebt ook net pas toegevoegd. Kdacht al dat jij NL was vanwege een opmerking eerder of een Nederlands grapje int Engels ook te begrijpen was.. en ja ze hebben zat van dat soort woordspelingen (zie Monthy Python).

Wow,so many theories. So they Meta Knight is the anarchist and I think he is a minion.(I'm guessing for Master Hand) Also,,that blob thing has a red thing coming out of its head,is it some kind of puppet or something?
Yeah I was thinking about some puppet thing as well, maybe Metallica is behind this all?

This update actually only tells us that brawl is gonna be one hell of a game... and dnot just another SMASHBROS,
What do you mean "not just another Smash Bros"? Both games were great so far and I really like how it's focussed on VS mode. After all, games have always been multiplayer and in the future, always will be multiplayer, I think Single Player will just be very short period in history, which people will refer to as "the dark ages of gaming".

Kujirudo

Smash Lord

Edit: Nvm

Well that does makes sense, although it's pretty weird for such a sweet face to have such a low voice (if you haven't watched the Kirby TV serie, search for it on youtube and you'll hear it).

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I hate when I miss out on important updates like this until I wake up at 6...Then threads like this spawn up with 20 pages instantly...

I think Sakurai's been watching too many J.J. Abrams trailers...

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
in this clip, you'll hear DeDeDe, Kirby and MetaKnight's voices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi_bpa3wi5o
Even though Metaknight sounds cool, I do hope his voice is a little bit off, as it doesn't fit his character and the Kirby series. Also, I sure hope if LoZ ever get's voice-overs, they won't sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noowvv12GxE

Edit: I made that "Games that you bought because of SSB" post under Melee Discussion: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=109976

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
did any one notice that the intro will be in real time graphics unlike melee intro

well i hope for a new unique villain

also Bowser is a villain but he is not evil

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
You know its been a big update when you get 20 page threads appearing in the space of 5 hours:laugh:

I'm interested in how a possible storyline would be implemented. Taking it stage by stage like adventure mode, or in chapters like the event matches. Either way, if the single player turns out to be decent, I think I will never stop playing this game.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
Hey! All the pictures are in WIDE SCREEN mode!!!!! not that I didn't expect brawl in widescreen

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
If you look in the background of the last pic, you can see that there are more of the little guys spawning... my apologies if I didn't read through all 200 someodd posts before making that statement in the case that it's already been said.

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
Also of interesting note is that these guys look like the Heartless of the Kingdom Heart series... a pretty sweet "generic" opponent compared to wireframes and polygons of the past.

GDhunter95

Smash Apprentice
Hi. First off, I'd like to say this update was amazing enough to get me to post here. I've paged through some stuff and I'd like to point out some things I haven't seen anyone else mention yet.

The stage looks a lot like Melee's Pokemon Stadium sans the Pokemon theme. If you look at the Pokemon Stadium trophy in melee it looks a lot like that stage does. Lights, Scoreboard, Audience, even its shape. For all those that say it's totally flat, it's just the camera angle. If you look at the stage from the top down view you can see the large white edge that shows the platform and the lower audience wall which is revealed to be a lot taller then it looks in the close up shots because of the camera angle.

...Anyone think that gladiator coliseum from Melee's intro will show up? That would have made for an awesome stage.

While people can say thay see stuff in clouds all the time and it's really only the mind seeing what it wants to see. That really only applies to real clouds that form randomly. When you have art that is rendered by a person, they sometimes subtly add things like that for effect. Personally, I agree that I can see Bowser and Master Hand. I wouldn't be surprised if Ganondorf and Mewtwo's face show up because it would give a villain to the four cover characters of the series (Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby) I'm a bit iffy on Ridley, but if he's in there...sweeeet, coolest Metroid villain period.

The screens do looks like they are from a movie of some sort, but it still looks like it might be rendered with in game graphics rather then being a full FMV like Melee intro. Anyone think that if there is a story mode it transfers into short cutscenes, like this one, before and after battles? They did it to some extent with adventure mode, but that was kind of "meh" in terms of quality, but if they did stuff like that...

Seeing as how trophies are a noteworthy part of the story now. I really hope collecting trophies is a lot more interesting then that stupid slot machine.

On a less positive note: Nintendo using the "Epic Darkness Threatening to Consume Light in an almost Kingdom Hearts way" seems to becoming a lot more common recently. Not like we haven't seen them use this in Pokemon Colloseum/Gale of Darkness, Super Paper Mario, Thousand Year Door, Twilight Princess, and a few others already. They all even have that same dark/purplish energy. Yay for the cliches. Wonder if any villains from those games are going to show up. :ohwell:

Fawriel

Smash Master
If you look in the background of the last pic, you can see that there are more of the little guys spawning... my apologies if I didn't read through all 200 someodd posts before making that statement in the case that it's already been said.
Haha, I can't believe we didn't notice that before.

Kujirudo said:
Ow so you're saying that he kidnaps Peach because he's so sweet? :p
Yes, actually.
Poor, poor guy.
Helplessly in love with a woman of another species.
Nobody understands the feelings of a skinny.

Well, err, Bowser is... mischievous rather than evil, kinda like Dedede. There's been a bunch of games where he sided with Mario and was depicted as rather intelligent and cynical and stuff. Peach was actually worried about him dying in one of the Paper Marios...

Toomai

Smash Ace
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

SMASH BROS. DOES NOT NEED, AND MAY BE RUINED BY, A STORY MODE. LET THE PLAYERS MAKE UP THEIR OWN STORIES, BECAUSE THEN NO ONE IS DISAPPOINTED.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Why is whatever the heck that thing is coming via Metaknights ship?

Fawriel

Smash Master
Hi. First off, I'd like to say this update was amazing enough to get me to post here. I've paged through some stuff and I'd like to point out some things I haven't seen anyone else mention yet.
[...]
On a less positive note: Nintendo using the "Epic Darkness Threatening to Consume Light in an almost Kingdom Hearts way" seems to becoming a lot more common recently. Not like we haven't seen them use this in Pokemon Colloseum/Gale of Darkness, Super Paper Mario, Thousand Year Door, Twilight Princess, and a few others already. They all even have that same dark/purplish energy. Yay for the cliches. Wonder if any villains from those games are going to show up. :ohwell:
Oh, I missed this after posting my reply.

Welcome!
Well, darkness consuming stuff is definitely common, I guess. But the way this was described leads me to believe there's more potential in the plot.
The world in the first place isn't described very beautifully. A world in which people are forced to fight and nothing else. And he who loses, dies until the next battle.
Two of the fighters break these rules, and the "God" of this world attempts to punish them.

You know how in the first Smash, the plot was that a child with dolls of the Nintendo characters imagined them fighting each other? Master Hand at the end of the Single Player mode is the hand of that child. The player has to defeat its own creator to win. There's tons of potential for anarchistic, theological, etc. interpretation there.

If this is similar and the purple guy is a puppet thing controlled by "Master Hand"... this could be a pretty **** sweet story.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

SMASH BROS. DOES NOT NEED, AND MAY BE RUINED BY, A STORY MODE. LET THE PLAYERS MAKE UP THEIR OWN STORIES, BECAUSE THEN NO ONE IS DISAPPOINTED.
I see your point and disagree. If my above prediction comes true, the plot is just an extension of what the plot has been before.

If done right, this could actually add much to the game, even in multiplayer.
I felt that in Melee, characters felt a little out of place, I love many of the characters, but they seem lifeless and all the battles don't seem very much like the big Nintendo personas duking it out, but more like random characters who look like Nintendo Stars having a senseless fight somewhere.

Putting all these characters into a loose context, with a background to add to their original background and relations among each other and so on, it could be absolutely beautiful.

Steven Hail

Smash Cadet
Why is whatever the heck that thing is coming via Metaknights ship?
Perhaps Metaknight has become the herald of the new big bad boss who is controlling those purple robot things. I always somehow knew Brawl would have some robot army of sorts, but I never pictured them to be so... diminutive... or purple.:ohwell:

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
On further examination, It is most definately an evolved SANDBAG coming back for its REVENGE. ^_^;

Or maybe the owner of that Master and Crazy hand?

no no...
That can't be it, he's wearing mittens!

Sgt.Frog

Smash Apprentice
I'm a bit late here and CBA trodding through 11 pages, but, strangest, darkest update i've seen. Veeeery strange.
This is going to be awesome, I predict some sort of storyline and lotsa cutscenes, good vs bad. Showdowns: RidleyxSamus, MarioxWario, KirbyxMeta.
It's bloody exciting!
I can't wait to find out more.
And it's under a new subsection - '???'

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman
wow

Wow, I haven't been on these forums in a year! I kept up with updates on dojo and after that last ??? update, I had to come back here to see what everyone thinks. Anyway, I'm glad they're fleshing out a story finally. I hope it's like how link was in SC 2. He really wasn't part of the SC world, but connected his story with it. I'd like to finally see a reason all the Nintendo favorites are fighting.

bijoukaiba

Smash Journeyman
I was questioning a possible co-op story mode, but what if the two players wanted to be, say, Link and Ganondorf? I don't think we'd see a "handshake" for those two. Then again, they could just program different reactions for when enemies meet in co-op, which brings back the question of chemistry long, long ago. But that would be difficult to program, so...

Not sure. It could go either way. And as for the little guy... "Master Puppet", anyone? Controlled by the two hands? (Not all marionettes are one-handers, y'know.)

But I've mostly been in agreement with Fawriel in this topic. The fighters have known nothing but fighting in Smash, and when they break these rules to form alliances or friendships, trouble occurs.

And if co-op Story Mode does exist, C. Falcon x Samus ftw.

Whisk

Smash Apprentice
Very strange update. I beleive it's some sort of story/adventure mode; definately more deep than the previous game. And apparently to sum it up is that Mario and Kirby made peace rather than fighting, which fighting was supposed to be their only purpose, thus breaking the Smash World rules. In reaction to that, they were punished by someone (most likely the Master Hand) by sending that puppet to deal with them for breaking the rules. And the appearence of MetaKnight's ship, might be because he starts out on the enemies' side and then joins force with you later, but that's just my guess.

Well, it apparently seems to be the "rebelling against the creator" plot.
This is definately going to be much different that Melee. (never played the original.)

~End note: Sorry if some of these thing have been stated before, it would take forever to read all these posts.

DainBramaged

Smash Ace
Hmmm, after reading this thread, it seem to me that so many of you are over analizing the clouds......what makes you think evil is limited to clouds?.......ZOMG, LOOK AT THAT GUY IN THE AUDIENCE !!!! *gasps*

But in all seriousness...I think the part where sakurai mentioned "breaking the rules" ment that because Mario didn't want to "kill" kirby.....the whole smash world goes out of whack, with characters revolting, rebelling etc etc........

and LMAO at whoever said that purple thing is an "evolved sandbag" XD

Gumshoe

Smash Rookie
Dang, haven't been on these forums in almost two years. This update was really something, because it seems like virtually every videogame forum is speculating on it. I'm stoked about the idea of a "true" story in story mode, if this update is hinting about it.

Anyway, I don't think I saw this mentioned in this topic regarding the clouds: I know alot of people think they see Bowser and Ridely's faces in the two "thicker" clouds to the right of the ship, but I can almost swear that I think I see Pokey Minch's face in the "thicker" cloud to the left of the ship. http://starmen.net/mother2/images/official/clay_pokey.png (meh, don't know how to link, sorry). It just seems like the cloud has the same "mushroom-like" haircut, nose and ears..

For those who don't know, Pokey Minch was the occuring "anti-hero" in Earthbound/Mother 2, and the full-blown villain in Mother 3. Again, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Attatched to a bungie cord, reppelling into Ninten
We need to call this purple thing by a name, and I found one. The name of a piscture from the Dojo has the name and then numbers ex. a pic of Bowser would have bowser01_1784.jpg or something like that, this guy's 'name' is modea. the picture is modea01_070720k-|.jpg plus, when looking at the picture, behind him seems to be more of him forming from the ground, by clusters of this energy, perhaps these are the new fighting wire frames?

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
Hm... I'm trying to connect a couple pictures...
I think I might have found out a little bit of what Final Destination would be like.

Compare the sky in this picture with the background behind Zamus in this picture:

They look around the same... I'm not 100% sure, but it could be Final Destination.

Anyway, at the end of the file path, it says "modea", or "Mode A". I think that this is the story mode for this game, possibly Adventure or Classic, because in those games Story Mode was the first option on the main menu.
This is the story mode of Brawl, if I'm not mistaken.

-Foggy-

Smash Apprentice
in the Subspace Emissary. What is the Subspace Emi
Well, the fact that this update is for a story mode is pretty obvious, and the fact that "???" has it's own subsection means that more on the story mode will soon follow, but for now I think all we can do regarding this update is wait for new details on it. Until then, there is really nothing we can grab from it, so I think it's a little pointless to guess. The only thing we can surely know about it is that these story mode updates will be extremely rare. The fact that the backround on this update was black means not that the story will be particularly dark, but that the update is extremely important. Important enough to warrant rare updates....but...

My thoughts on the story mode are this: I think mostly everybody has gotten it right so far. Mario and Kirby broke the rules of the Smash World, and thus they need to be punished. However, not by Metaknight or Bowser like people seem to think. This makes no sense, seeing as both Metaknight and Bowser are trophies, just like Mario and Kirby, so why would they be serving Master Hand? The thing coming to punish Mario and Kirby are those robot, purply things (which I will call "Puppets" from now on). These Puppets are the slave type things of Master Hand, whose purpose is only to punish those who broke the rules. If you disagree with me on this, look at the Puppet's eyes. They show absolutely no emotion, and look as if the Puppet was programmed only to serve, which is exactly what I think. Also, the boxing gloves furthur this theory, as they show the ability to fight. The Puppets didn't show up in previous Smash Bros. games simply because nobody broke the rules. In SSBB though, the characters (at least Mario and Kirby) got sick of all of that, and thus created a storyline that was supposed to be in SSBM, but was scrapped due to time restraints. The push backs in the release date were announced to the devs could create and flesh out this storyline, otherwise I think Sakurai has finished the game.

The real question that comes into play here, is why does Metaknight show up? Metaknight's purpose could drastically change my theory, which is why I think we can only wait for more details at this point...

GDhunter95

Smash Apprentice
We need to call this purple thing by a name, and I found one. The name of a piscture from the Dojo has the name and then numbers ex. a pic of Bowser would have bowser01_1784.jpg or something like that, this guy's 'name' is modea. the picture is modea01_070720k-|.jpg plus, when looking at the picture, behind him seems to be more of him forming from the ground, by clusters of this energy, perhaps these are the new fighting wire frames?

...good thinking, but I think it means the pictures are for '(game)mode A' and not 'modea'. All the pictures in tonights update are modea(random numbers)

Top Bottom