• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This world... - The Subspace Emissary

Fawriel

Smash Master
In this world, trophies fight.

They know nothing but fighting. Fighting is the sole reason for their existence.

Being turned back into a trophy, being unable to fight, is much like death.

Those are the rules of this world.

But...

When someone...or something...breaks those rules, the world will pay a terrible price...

This has got to be the most enigmatic update so far.
I hope the mods don't mind that I made a topic about it. This is major discussion fuel. It appears that we got a story mode... or even more? Is this a whole change in the direction of the franchise? Who is that guy?

What do you think?

----------------------------

Updated!

The Subspace Emissary.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl: The Subspace Emissary is a robust side-scrolling action game!

More than anything, Smash Bros. is a competitive action game. People have been kind enough to praise its multiplayer aspects, but we’ve never been able to create a fully-fleshed out single-player game.

This time, though, we’ve managed to create a complete side-scrolling action game. It’s storyline isn’t overwrought – it’s hastened along by a bunch of quick movies.

The Adventure mode also emphasises character development. You’ll see many famous characters persevering under the weight of their personal histories, shouldering their unique burdens... It’s really something you won’t see anywhere else.

With so many wonderful characters appearing together, it’s like a dream action game. We’re putting tons of fighting spirit into making this game, so I hope you’re all looking forward to it.

Oh, and this is all included in the same Game Disc, so rest easy.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
New, non-playable enemy, replacement to the wireframes, deliverer of bad news (Like "Master Hand decided to flick all of you off his mantle"), the possibilities are endless.

All of this is in reference to the weird robot-ish thing, btw.

Story mode looks DEEP this time around.

gnosis

Smash Lord
Yeah, this was just a big ol WTF for me.

Edit: I mean, I understood it was story, but... it's Smash Bros. And it's all dark. It's not confusing so much as just, well, WTF-ing.

Is Mario helping Kirby instead of killing him the 'breaking of the rules'??

It's gonna be like gladiators and we'll feel guilty for forcing all these characters to fight.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Food for thought: All the screenshots were possibly taken from an introduction to the story mode, if it is one. Why would they show Mario and Kirby, though?

My theory is that this indicates a cooperative mode. At least an optional one.

Also, what about the Halberd? Did the evil thingy steal it? Or is he even cooperating with the rebellious Metaknight? Hmm...

Mars-

Smash Champion
Well since it was put in the modes section, I'm guessing this is a mode, anyone else notice how the background for this update was black?

The Mark

Smash Apprentice
Wait maybe you can collect trophys in this game too. and you can battle them?

I mean I recognize the kirby trophy...

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I read it like ten times thinking WTF each time. I didn't even understand what it was... Can barely wrap my mind around it, but it does look pretty cool to me.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
They also have this whole thing surrounded in mystery. If you go to the game modes section, their is a "???" sub category where "this world..." is at.

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
It's listed under game modes, I wonder how that will affect things. Is this a sign of a new single player mode? I have got to say this is the strangest update yet by far. I have a feeling we will be kept in the dark for awhile about things. From what I can make out, a plot (seriously?), and if that slime thing doesn't come from any other game, the first new Smash character we seen. As for it being playable, AT, an enemy like a Goomba, or something else altogether, waits to be seen. But one thing's for sure, they really wanted us to see it and be left in the dark.

Am I the only one who couldn't load the site at first due to massive loading lag?

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Wow, Sakurai has really blown us away.
This is by far the most interesting and thought-provoking update ever.

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
Best update ever.
QFT!!!

JESUS CHRIST ON A POGO STICK (Not the first time I've said that today and it won't be the last, that's for sure.)

This is the best update simply because this really is the biggest shocker of them all. Not only is it a huge shocker, but god**** it's INTRIGUING.

Definitely safe to assume this robo-puppet guy is a new generic enemy. I'd definitely venture to say that his role extends beyond that of the wireframes, though. ...Or maybe this is even what happens to characters who 'break those rules?'

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Definitely looks like a boxing ref to me, the purple thing. It has boxing gloves, some sort of watch on it's neck. Maybe some sort of mode to do with motion sensing, because if you notice, there are no ledges, no way to knock a person out in this arena. Definitely not a traditional smash mode.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Food for thought: All the screenshots were possibly taken from an introduction to the story mode, if it is one. Why would they show Mario and Kirby, though?

My theory is that this indicates a cooperative mode. At least an optional one.

Also, what about the Halberd? Did the evil thingy steal it? Or is he even cooperating with the rebellious Metaknight? Hmm...
The way I saw it, Mario was there because he's the main character, and Sakurai picked Kirby to be his opponent because Kirby is his creation. In SSB64, they kind of did the same thing.

Right now I see the weird robot thing as being a Master Hand minion, and possibly showing up in place of the wireframes in this game.

*/ShadowFlare\*

Smash Cadet
im not so sure its a playable character...it seems a little too bland for that kind of purpose

notice how the stage is a huge fenced in colliseum...
"fighting is all they know"
theres corrolation to gladiators no doubt..

my guess is its a beefed up multiman melee thats multiplayer

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
QFT!!!

JESUS CHRIST ON A POGO STICK (Not the first time I've said that today and it won't be the last, that's for sure.)

This is the best update simply because this really is the biggest shocker of them all. Not only is it a huge shocker, but god**** it's INTRIGUING.

Definitely safe to assume this robo-puppet guy is a new generic enemy. I'd definitely venture to say that his role extends beyond that of the wireframes, though. ...Or maybe this is even what happens to characters who 'break those rules?'

QFT! x2!

This is too hardcore. I'm going to bed before my head eSplodes.

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
I guess a ton of people nowadays are camping the site, I think a lot of them from GameFAQs.

As another brought up, the background is black too. What does it all mean? OK people, time for theories! Snap to it!

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Man, I got goose bumps while reading this. Not only are those screens top of the notch for the Wii, the way that Sakurai typed it makes it freaking mysterious. Yes, this does really seem like a Story Mode.... And who is that guy in the last screenshot?

Blackadder

Smash Master
I have been talking to a friend, and we have a neat little theory:
That Meta-knight (And mabye the other bad guys) are mabye fuffiling there role as villens in the Smash?
The bad guys are trying to cause all hell in this smash?
Any thoughts?

Fawriel

Smash Master
The way I saw it, Mario was there because he's the main character, and Sakurai picked Kirby to be his opponent because Kirby is his creation. In SSB64, they kind of did the same thing.
I know that's why Sakurai chose them, but if it's from a video sequence, does that mean it's always those two you see or are the characters variable..?

Shark X

Smash Lord
This story could be pretty dark and violent for a Nintendo game. I like it XD

The pics also seem to hint at Meta Knight being the main bad guy imo, much like Bowser was in Melee.

After 4 back to back of the worse updates ever (Star Fox music was boring and dull, but I'm sure many others appreciated it. I could care less about Deoxis, but alot of people seem pissed. The Zero Suit Samus not being an actual playable character pissed ALOT of people off. Then they rub it in our faces by putting her on the characters list even though the night before they rubbed it hard in our faces that she doesn't belong there.), I was counting on a **** GOOD update for Friday to make up for Nintendo purposely pissing up off all week. Not sure if this is a good enough update to make up for it though.

Procrasticritter

Smash Journeyman
definately the most cryptic update yet. The very first screenshot made me think, ah, new stage: Wii sports level perhaps... then it went in COMPLETELY another direction..

I really have no idea what this is... I'm guessing possible story mode, since in the previous iterations, it has the characters turning into real fighers from trophies too. I dunno whatsup with this new, I assume evil, character...

Kelp Plankton

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure this is almost confirmation of an in-depth story mode that will replace/expand upon Adventure Mode from Melee.

Smash Bros getting a plot?

That's quite a twist.

But now I feel bad about forcing them to fight eachother all these years... with so many forever being returned to the state of trophiness...

CORRUPTiON

Smash Apprentice
Am I missing something, or are the 2 of the images out of place. The 4th one from the top shows Kirby falling as a trophy. The next one has him in his pink fleshy self.. And thenn the Kirby trophy lands?

Sorry if it's irrelevant. It's bugging me.

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
Definitely looks like a boxing ref to me, the purple thing. It has boxing gloves, some sort of watch on it's neck. Maybe some sort of mode to do with motion sensing, because if you notice, there are no ledges, no way to knock a person out in this arena. Definitely not a traditional smash mode.
wow good observation on the no ledges, I didn't even think about that because I was so blown away....

Vertiboy

Smash Cadet
Yeah, the black background seemed to emphasize the update.

Look at the weird robot/puppet thingy. I'm 99% sure that this was not what was intended, but if you look at the red line under the eyes as a mouth, it looks like one of those sock monkeys. Evil sock monkeys? OMFG!!!

Procrasticritter

Smash Journeyman
maybe story mode does not invovle the characters fighting each other this time, but, some other non-playable AI controled force?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I know that's why Sakurai chose them, but if it's from a video sequence, does that mean it's always those two you see or are the characters variable..?
I guess that depends. I assume the screenshots are from the intro for Brawl. An Introduction of a possible new evil that will be your mission to defeat when you enter 1P mode. So yes, I assumed it would always be Mario and Kirby.

If it's somehow a part of 1P mode itself, though, that's certainly a different matter. I don't know what would happen then.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
Dark, Deep, mysterious.. sounds like an epic story... but how can that be.... its ssbb.... part of the ssb franchise which has like no story but freaking awesome gameplay.. this could be the changing of a genre.. or just another gameplay mode... im thinking as people noted earlier, a multiplayer arena challenge or something of the sort. Close to the wire frame challenges, but more thought provoking and interesting, obviously.

Top Bottom