• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This world... - The Subspace Emissary

Mistle

Smash Apprentice
You what'd be interesting, is if that playing as different charactors gave you a different story, specific to that charactor, but all the stories tie in together.
Actually, Sakurai has kinder half-confirmed this already. He says that he wants to emphasize on each characters background (or something like that, I forget). If you ask me, that means each character will have his/her own story.

jonkil

Smash Apprentice
hopefully they do have their own story for the major plot in the game or even a background story telling us where they came from and why they fight or someting to that effect.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I wonder if the target test will be in this mode, in another single player mode, or entirely seperate this time.

Revven

FrankerZ
Here's what I think is how Sakurai plans to have us play this.

We can select anyone from the beginning that are already unlocked. This means we could select: Link, Mario, Yoshi, Zelda, Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong, and etc. and play their persepective of the story. When you beat that one, you pick the next. I very seriously doubt Sakurai would make it so we were forced to play as characters we didn't want to. Look at Melee's Adventure Mode. I think we can safely say that this is what Sakurai wanted to do in Melee but couldn't due to disk restraints and time (which is why he made the comment about disk space!!)

He's given us hints that this what we would have gotten in Melee. So, basically, we have already played Adventure Mode. We just didn't play the full blown thing. Just the basis of it, and now that we're going to play the full thing we should know what to expect but in a completely redone form in, story form.

It's clear he paired up characters for a reason. Because they were originally fighting against each other just like described in the "This world..." update. Link and Yoshi were fighting, I'm assuming Meta Knight and Fox were fighting, and Kirby and Mario were fighting. All three fights happened the same way which is how the rules were broken which is why it's now broken into chaos.

Only another update about this can explain the story more clearly. Especially, about who those guys that copy your moveset and basically mirror what you do.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
Even though SO many people disagree with this, i still think that the story will roughly be like this:

The rules of 'This World' - to fight, and only fight - are broken by Mario and Kirby when they shake hands. They show independence from what they are supposed to do. Therefore, within seconds, there is a retaliation. The arena swarms with these minions, and the fight for freedom is on. The update said that the whole world will pay the price if someone breaks the rules, and that's why all the characters need to team up to fight against evil.

The reason i think that Mario and Kirby break the rules (as opposed to the minions, like some people think), is that the way Sakurai laid out the pics and text on the 'This World' update. To me, before i even discussed it on here, it seemed that Mario and Kirby had broken the rules. That update put such emphasis on the rules being that they were there to fight, and nothing more. A handshake isn't fighting, it's being friendly. Being friendly aren't the rules, fighting is.

Therefore, it makes sense that within seconds of shaking hands, the price of breaking the rules appears. The update made it out as if the price were something terrible, and being attacked by swarms of minions that spawn out of the ground seems pretty bad to me. I mean, the rules of 'This World' aren't exactly peachy. They're not "Have fun with your friends" or "Shake hands", they're "Fight". The way Sakurai says that being turned back into a trophy is much like death. It's just not nice sounding. Therefore, by shaking hands, to decide to turn their backs on the rules, Mario and Kirby decide to fight back against those who keep turning them into trophies and forcing them to fight. By breaking the rules they incur the wrath of and unknown person, but someone with enough power to threaten all the heroes of Nintendo (and further) so that they must band together - whether it be intentionally or unintentionally - and fight together against the creators of the rules of 'This World' so that they can be free, no longer forced to fight one another.

Make any sense?

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Not a single word made sense.

Really, the rules thing is a red herring. Sakurai is already laughing at us for taking the rules thing way too serious.

Besides, is it logical that people keep on cheering when Mario and Kirby shake hands? Who could say smashers didn't already shake hands before?

It makes no frickin' sense and it really doesn't rhyme, especially with the original games.

Because, what would happen if you were to win in a versus match? Exactly.

And besides, Peach and Zelda too show individuality. They're breaking the rules. So, now they fight for their existence, another thing that shows individuality. Seems like they're constantly breaking the rules. WHOOP DEE DOO! The whole frickin' world is doomed now by the end of the game!

Frogla

Smash Ace
No not that they stopped fighting, but i think Mario showed Mercy and returned Kirby from the trophy death. Link and Yoshi probably were fighting and i think that Meta-knight will probably be loose canon check out my ideas in The fanfics in smash war i hope its like that.

awesome

Smash Apprentice
Smash fan: I have two quick points.

1) The Handshake picture comes before Sakurai gets all ominous. There is enough distance between the picture and the text in question to lead me to believe that the handshake is not against the rules.

2) In this world, trophies only exist to fight. Thus, the audience shows up in the stadium to watch the said fight. IF Mario and Kirby refused to fight, and showed this by shaking hands, the crowd would give a negative reaction. However, they cheer, leading one to assume that this is the beginning of a fight, and Mario and Kirby were shaking hands as a gesture of good sportsmanship (similar to what happens in wrestling, boxing, etc).

Frogla

Smash Ace

1) The Handshake picture comes before Sakurai gets all ominous. There is enough distance between the picture and the text in question to lead me to believe that the handshake is not against the rules.

2) In this world, trophies only exist to fight. Thus, the audience shows up in the stadium to watch the said fight. IF Mario and Kirby refused to fight, and showed this by shaking hands, the crowd would give a negative reaction. However, they cheer, leading one to assume that this is the beginning of a fight, and Mario and Kirby were shaking hands as a gesture of good sportsmanship (similar to what happens in wrestling, boxing, etc).
But if that were true Sakuria wouldnt have showed the picture of mario defeating Kirby then reserecting him.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Misplaced image, maybe?

And who says Mario actually resurrected him? Couldn't it be that trophies could resurrect themselves?

maxpower1227

Smash Lord

Give this man (I assume) a freaking medal. At least some people get it.

And who says Mario actually resurrected him? Couldn't it be that trophies could resurrect themselves?
For that matter, who ever said that these fighters permanently turn into trophies upon losing a battle? Does that sound absolutely idiotic to anyone else? That gives you a good 30-40 fights before everyone is GONE. Kinda hard to maintain a fighting culture that way, huh?

Frogla

Smash Ace
Its like death, and the dead dont help themselves

Being turned back into a trophy, being unable to fight, is much like death.

(so that means kirbys dead)

Mario just touched him so that must have been part of the reason hes alive. Free Life

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
"Being turned back into a trophy, being unable to fight, is much like death."

DOES NOT EQUAL

"Fighters are intended to turn back into a trophy and thus be unable to fight"

Frogla

Smash Ace
Indeed, Because one cannot be raised from the dead, except by a miracle but trophies thats another story.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Ok, why are we arguing how trophy's are ressurected and killed? I'll put in my two cents

1: We ALL know trophys can not be ressurected, heck, we've NEVER seen it happen before

2: What happened the last time Mario and Kirby shook hands? Giant darkness ship appears, yep. We all remember.

I think I win.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
lol at last two posts. Seriously though, I think I just destroyed all rational argument from here on out.

Maybe you can go through adventure together though, because if you remember Kirby uses his special on Mario, and Mario doesn't get damaged, seems like he may jsut get stronger. You would probably have to do it with characters that are coupled to go co-op. There has been substantial evidence to support co-op, if anyone would like it.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Smash-fan's theory makes perfect sense; it's exactly what I thought after reading the "This World. . ." update. I don't know why so many people are adamantly bashing it. It's just as likely as all the other story speculation.

Sure, Mario and Kirby could just be shaking hands to be good sports. I don't think the fighters instantly "die" if they're not throwing a punch—I'm sure Sakurai wasn't being that literal. But it still makes a LOT of sense. Mario and Kirby still may have decided not to fight. Sakurai did stress the importance of fighting being such a rule for a reason—it's ****ing important. So far, the only really decent argument against this is the fact that the audience is indeed cheering after Mario and Kirby shake hands. That's odd. It's duly noted, but it's not a big enough issue to discount the theory entirely.

As for Zelda and Peach also breaking the rules. . . who cares? If Mario and Kirby already broke the rules, then Peach and Zelda further breaking them (by joining Mario and Kirby to help) isn't going to matter at all—the rules have already been broken and the consequences are in effect.

Also, I think a lot of people are putting too much emphasis on what we have and haven't seen from the past two games. Those games probably equate to bunk as far as this new story line goes. The other two games never HAD a story at all, and plenty of things have been changes (um, wire frames randomly replacing the polygons? Yeah, "consistency" isn't Smash's middle name when it comes to one player mode)

Peppers

Smash Apprentice
Definitely looks like a boxing ref to me, the purple thing. It has boxing gloves, some sort of watch on it's neck. Maybe some sort of mode to do with motion sensing, because if you notice, there are no ledges, no way to knock a person out in this arena. Definitely not a traditional smash mode.
can be a stadium for HP mode?????????

EDIT: or maybe Smash is gettin into a lil RPG if u go to dojo website they hve starfox plane bein shot Zelda all look like ingame movie clips..........? any thoughts?

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
So far it seems I was right about the faces (not being) in the clouds, and about Sheik being in Brawl, and I'd bet good money that I'm right about this too.

Rulebreakers != Mario or Kirby

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
When someone...or something...breaks those rules, the world will pay a terrible price...
someone... or something....
or something

Obviously stating that no one knows what broke the rules. Not to lead to irrational arguments, but I think that statement is an 'end-all'.

BTW, WTF is with Mario beating Kirby? Kirby is freaking tight, even though I love both characters equally. Kirby can't lose, he sucks!

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Okay, let me put it this way.

The first frame introduces this world.

"In this world, trophies fight."

The following three frames introduce us to the trophies, and we know that they will fight.

"They know nothing but fighting. Fighting is the sole reason for their existence."

The following frame shows two trophies ready to fight.

"Being turned back into a trophy, being unable to fight, is much like death."

It shows Kirby as a trophy. Then we see Kirby as a living being again. It shows that Kirby is alive. Three frames here.

"Those are the rules of this world."

It then goes to a shot of Mario, who looks at the coming threat.

"But..."

It then shows the Halberd from which, as we by now know, the purple guys come out of.

"When someone...or something...breaks those rules, the world will pay a terrible price..."

It then shows a purple guy.

Okay, first of all, how many frames separate the last line from Kirby and Mario shaking hands?

Now, let's draw a parallel to other games. When something is about to happen, do the actions of the citizens mirror the upcoming threat?

I mean, do we actually see, in the intro, that someone screws up, leading to mass destruction? Rarely.

Like somebody said, Super Smash Bros. is an ordinary game. It will follow the clichés of storytelling. A good story never reveals who or what screws up at the beginning, unless it's a history of how the world came to be dark. That IS the most single rule to a good story.

Enchanted Arms didn't show the world in chaos until after the Atsuma encounters the Queen of Ice. Team Magma didn't resurrect Groudon until after you've encountered him. Heck, I bet even God of Wars wasn't as screwed up to put the "you've just screwed yourself over" moment precisely at the beginning of the intro. At most, somewhere in the end. Now I haven't played God of Wars, but I have played other games in which the main character screws himself over, or some other force. And they never do it during the beginning of the intro.

Also:

Rulebreaking = nonexistent, because Sakurai created a red herring.

Samochan

Smash Master
Imo, nothing suggests that Kirby or Mario are the rulebreakers here, neither rest of the audience. The confusion here is seemingly brought by that Kirby and Mario handshake, or that mario somehow resurects kirby from his trophy state, neither of which is likely to be true. The random shot where mario stands above kirby's trophy doesn't indicate that mario touches or resurects kirby, it might very well be from the part where mario's trophy transforms into mario, then kirby's trophy is thrown onto arena and he just goes to check. The shot itself is very random though with the text and the placement. The handshake comes before or after they actually fight and the crowd is cheering; it's like an exhibition match and peach and zelda (both seemingly known to mario and kirby, friends maybe) are watching. It is either Metaknight or the weird fellows that are the rulebreakers, or some higher entity. Maybe Meta's ship got stolen, considering it's very big and would be quite ideal to spread that dark matter (lol) around that spawns those goons. On one screenshot we see Meta fightning the enemies. Why would he do that if he were the bad guy behind all this, not to mention being evil doesn't suit his character.

The story also doesn't add. If Peach and Zelda are supposed to be trophies... why are they on the audience, being themselves whereas Mario and Kirby were trophies thrown on stage? >_> Aren't they also supposed to "fight" and not watch?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
One last thing that needs attention:

If Mario and Kirby had broken the rules, why the hell out of the fricken Halberd? Why not just pop out of the ground, or, if it really must, descend from just the clouds? Why the fricken Halberd?

Oh, and:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring
Admittedly, I didn't know what you meant when you used the term "red herring" before, and I do see your point. But it's not necessarily true.

The Mario and Kirby rule breaking idea cannot be ruled out. It's obvious, so I would like to believe that Sakurai has something a little more complex in mind. But it's obvious for a reason. Sakurai may have been trying to mislead us with the way he worded things, but those words still shouldn't be ignored.

I find it INCREDIBLY hard to believe that Sakurai mentioned fighting being the number one rule of this world, and then mentioned "rule breaking" that did not relate to it. Sakurai has implied that "FIGHT!" is the only rule. He then mentions something breaking "those rules". What do you suggest he's referring to? He gives no hint of anything else.

These quotes in particular illustrate my point.

"In this world, trophies fight . . . Those are the rules of this world."

Immediately following this he says:

"But . . . When someone...or something...breaks those rules, the world will pay a terrible price..."

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
Since Adventure Mode is called the "Subspace Emissary," who do you think it will be? I mean, the name pretty much implies that there is going to be some sort of person sent on a mission from/ for a sort of "subspace," so who do you think this representative could be? A new, smash bros. original character? And what do you think this "subspace" is?

Also, do you think the story mode will be different for each character, or rather, the same thing each time, just with each character's story/backrgound involved? I personally think it will be the same overall story each time, but it will change based on the character you pick, so you play out that character's side of the story.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I think "subspace" means a bad guy that is going to go around and screw around with everyone's individual storyline. Subspace as in reference to a specific franchise universe and comes to the main Smash universe.

The Halberd is defintely going to be "bad" in some respect to certain characters:
-The Halberd summons a heartless-rip-off horde of minions to fight Mario/Kirby/Peach/Zelda.
-The Halberd is attacking Fox and his Arwing.
-The Halberd is flying to or from the direction of where Link and Yoshi are "hanging out in the desert," and by the way they look, I don't think they like the sight of it.
-Pit is in the fluffy pink cloud area surrounded by the minions, and that happens to be the same environment that the Halberd is attacking Fox.

~The Nintendo Heroes are obviously fighting for their life and the Halberd is not helping the situation, most likely hindering.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Those purple things seem to be the emissaries. Who's controlling them, and...I guess sending the message, is the final boss. Subspace is probably where they originate, guessing by the title. >_>

And I think that it will all be a story driven event mode, where some levels let you choose who you want, and others have a specific character that's needed. (With cut scenes for these parts)

Top Bottom