• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This world... - The Subspace Emissary

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Trophies fighting in some kids room, that has been shown from SSB days, and the kid is playing god, when his toys dont cooperate, he wants then killed, even if he has to do it. Always seemed a little dark to me, playing god can get ugly... I THINK >_>

Bombs destroy trophies, this kid got himself some m-80s, he didn't like the tier list!
Now why cant we have more solid theories like this one?

I Like Smash...

Smash Apprentice
this is the most interesting update yet...
its the one that has left me asking more questions than any other...
who/wut is that dude???
and are they actually gonna try to give this installment of Smash Brothers a plot???

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
I'd say that this is only the game's intro, but remember the old Brawl interview where Sakurai stated they're trying for a more robust story mode? Not only that, but this is under game modes.

Sweetness

Smash Rookie
A place where the wii has been out for years and w
I swear when I first saw this I was thinking " Assist trophy face off arena?"

On the Meta Knight thing, I think his role as a newcomer is a lackey for Master Hand. Possibly do the dirty work so Master Hand doesn't have to. That's just my theory though.

But this could finally be the explanation to what's going on throughout the series!

Fawriel

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure that Sakurai wouldn't let his own creation go out of character.
Metaknight is an honorous man who lives by his own code of honor, his own rules.
Hmm. His own rules...

Whatever the case, he's not evil. I can see him as some sort of guide or so.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
but why Meta-Knight? is he going to be like Bowser was in Melee?
Giga Meta Knight.
I think it would be just Giga Knight, or perhaps Giggles the Friendly Knight.

I like the whole idea of this mode already. Keep the info coming, Sakurai!

EggBomb

Smash Apprentice
I feel there are are three possible consequences of the "rules being broken"

a) The "Goo Team" invades the world of smash
b) The character that breaks the rules is transformed into a Gooish Guy
c) Combination of A & B

At this point option A seems more feasible because it looks like more gooey guys are appearing in the background. However, I feel it is possible that the gooey guys act like the Fighting Polygon Team in the first game where they have the same moves as all the PCs. These events could combine both options and form option C. Maybe before unlocking a new character instead of fighting the actual character we fight a gooey clone of the character. You wouldn't know what type of moves to expect WHILE speculating what character you're encountering. By defeating the goo monster you could unlock the character that "broke the rules" and use him in single player to help take down master hand (or the one responsible).

These are all "what ifs" and thats the fun part about speculating. I am pretty confident that these guys will play the same role as the Polygon or Wireframe team as soldiers in Hand's army...

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
My one buff with this whole thing, is that Meta Knight was never inherently "evil"- with the exception of "Revenge of Meta Knight" in Kirby Super Star (which his motives fall more along the line of misguided judgment than they do evil/malicious intent), Meta Knight has always been one to fight for Dream Land just as much as Kirby, regardless of the fact that he does have a scuffle with Kirby here and there (and everywhere).

I guess he can be kinda viewed as an antagonist of the Kirby series, but this whole entire darkness vs. light thing doesn't suit him very well.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
Master Hand is obviously behind it. Look at the purple guy. See the string above his head? He's a puppet.

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
Could be an antenna. Maybe Master Hand's moved on from strings and is goin' remote control?

Dare I say it? No Strings Attached?

Sonicfan813

Smash Cadet
Anybody else possibly think story mode would be a fixed storyline? Such as you do not get to choose what character you play as but as the story progresses you will play different characters (kind of like Sonic Adventure 2 Battle).

The story could switch sides from good and evil to reveal more of the truths and details of what is actually going on. For one match, you could play as Mario with Kirby on your team, while after, at some other far off region, Ganon and Bowser are fighting Link and Zelda.

Of course this could be completely wrong because it is all speculation. Can't wait for this game!

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Okay, forget clouds.

It looks like Mario beat Kirby, turned him back into a trophy. Then Mario brings him back to life, breaking the rules. And then Oh Em Gee someone has to pay, and someone (Master Hand in the clouds or whatever) comes in and turns Mario into the Goo-man. (It does bare a resemblence to Mario in shape and stature.)

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Does everyone really think thats goo/sludge?
It looks more like dark smoke to me...

Shuma

Smash Hero
Mario Broke the Rules by reviving Kirby. Master Hand(or any other end game boss) sends Metaknight and the bad guys to deal with them.

Or Metaknight is just the messenger, or he is escaping the bad guys and whant's to help Kirby and Mario?

I still think Master Hand(the kid) is angry so he sends the villains to deal with the problem.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Well, the laws are that mode is pretty much: The trophies have to fight eachother to the death for spectators entertainment.
And Mario and Kirby break that law by shaking hands, so some evil guy shows up. Wow I have the shivers.

-Foggy-

Smash Apprentice
in the Subspace Emissary. What is the Subspace Emi
Mario Broke the Rules by reviving Kirby. Master Hand(or any other end game boss) sends Metaknight and the bad guys to deal with them.

Or Metaknight is just the messenger, or he is escaping the bad guys and whant's to help Kirby and Mario?

I still think Master Hand(the kid) is angry so he sends the villains to deal with the problem.
THE VILLIANS ARE TROPHIES TOO FOR GOD ****'S SAKE!! WHY WOULD MASTER HAND SEND TROPHIES TO DEAL WITH THE TROPHY PROBLEM!!!

Besides, nowhere in this theory is the purple guy. Master Hand sends the purple guy to deal with the problem if anyone. Did nobody even read MY theory? At least that one made sense unlike the loads of other crackhead's theories around here!

Chill

Red
BRoomer
lol it looks like a shadow pokemon that needs to be purified.

Once you went through single player once or twice it was really boring. Some kind of co-op would be great. I know online co-op is something that would probably never happen. But a guy can dream can't he?

Fawriel

Smash Master
Ooh. I've been wondering why everyone called the guy slimy or so.
Seems to me like smoke they are spawning from. Note that I said "they".

Okay, forget clouds.

It looks like Mario beat Kirby, turned him back into a trophy. Then Mario brings him back to life, breaking the rules. And then Oh Em Gee someone has to pay, and someone (Master Hand in the clouds or whatever) comes in and turns Mario into the Goo-man. (It does bare a resemblence to Mario in shape and stature.)
Hmm, I find that unlikely. If you look behind the guy, there are two others clouds forming behind him that will likely spawn others like him. If it's just Mario who was transformed, what would those other two clouds be about?

And Sonicfan, that's an interesting theory... however, I don't think that's the sort of story that Sakurai aims for. I'm pretty sure he'll just set a rough frame for a story to happen within... the rest is variable and gives the player space to choose his favourite character and imagine some things of his own.

Black/Light

Smash Master
. . . .I think people are reading too much into the clouds with this Bowser/ Rid/ Wolf or w/e crap. The only somewhat clear one is "Master hand".

It seems that this story mode will be about braking the rules like Mario did and facing off against the forces like Master Hand and the smoke dude who want to inforce those rules/ punish you for not conforming.

Zeraga

Smash Apprentice
its a teaser for story mode. seems like the badguy characters are going to be badguys in story mode. Look at how blurry the second pic is. It's a screen cap from a video.
Yes, it's a video. The whole thing is probably from the opening sequence.
Does anyone else think it looks like the SSBM opening a little?

Okay, Story mode. Way more than in SSBM. We actually are told why you go through and fight the wireframes/evil smoke men.
Master Hand is obviously behind everything (or someone equivalent to him).

Aaaaaaaand.........

MetaKnight.......

um.....

okay, wut?

Suna

Smash Journeyman

Yall do know that Metaknight is not a bad guy right... most of you keep acting like he is .

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I feel there are are three possible consequences of the "rules being broken"

a) The "Goo Team" invades the world of smash
b) The character that breaks the rules is transformed into a Gooish Guy
c) Combination of A & B

At this point option A seems more feasible because it looks like more gooey guys are appearing in the background. However, I feel it is possible that the gooey guys act like the Fighting Polygon Team in the first game where they have the same moves as all the PCs. These events could combine both options and form option C. Maybe before unlocking a new character instead of fighting the actual character we fight a gooey clone of the character. You wouldn't know what type of moves to expect WHILE speculating what character you're encountering. By defeating the goo monster you could unlock the character that "broke the rules" and use him in single player to help take down master hand (or the one responsible).
I actually like this a little bit. A story that can be developed for a game that lacks one would definitely be to add a bad guy that enslaves most of the characters, leaving only a few left to save them (default characters). It works for a game that doesn't have any established bad guys already, saves time creating new and unique ones when they can just use the characters they've spent so long creating already.
You get a two-fer by fighting the goo versions of the characters to unlock the actual character.

EDIT: I don't think MetaKnight is a bad guy. I think he just showed up at the wrong time to look like a bad guy. He was probably going to be the next fighter in the stadium. And the ominous clouds come with MK's ship Halberd, it's a package deal.

Sweetness

Smash Rookie
A place where the wii has been out for years and w
Okay so... Two challengers appear, they battle, Mario wins, he takes pity on Kirby and releases him, and they form an alliance to ensure that the torturous games Master Hand puts them through will end. About Metaknight, he may possibly be being controlled in some way. Manipulated, also his ship may have been the vessel for those monsters. Although it does seem like they are coming from the ground. I don't believe it will be an in depth story mode. Probably just some chatter (Maybe) from the characters or the entire thing will be displayed through cutscenes between battles (Like the Giga Bowser transformation in Melee.)

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Seriously, I miss the Fighting Polygons. They are way cooler than those boring Fighting Wire Frames. IF this new character is the new punch bag, I'm gonna cry :(.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Yall do know that Metaknight is not a bad guy right... most of you keep acting like he is .
I think that's mostly due to his role in Kirby's Adventure/Nightmare in Dream Land and Revenge of Meta Knight in Kirby's Super Star.

From then on though, Metaknight hasn't been evil. In Amazing Mirror he was trying to stop what evil was there and in Squeak Squad he was trying to prevent Kirby and the Squeaks alike from making a grave mistake.

Top Bottom