• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Zodiac Braves a NJ/NY Crew *OMG what is that? it's a tree*

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I attend everything which I am able to. I do not enter because I am not yet powerful enough to win. Through study and training, I will eventually become powerful enough to win.

However, winning is not my ultimate purpose. My ultimate purpose is to become intimate with Smash. To breathe, know, understand, and BE Smash. To submerse it to my inner core. This is my truest desire. Though I claim to know many things, there are still a great many things left to learn.

Perhaps, once that fullness is truly obtained, then I will once again enter the realm of competition for the sake of being the best competitor.
If everyone had that mentality, there would be no tournaments, and tournament experience is one of the best ways to improve.

Also, "Smash" includes two other games.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Naturally Lucas, but I think it's pretty clear I'm talking about Brawl. Also, you contradict yourself. You agree that tournament experience is a good way to improve, but then you suggest there would be no tournaments. I have not completely stopped entering tournaments, I simply know the results of most of the matches I play in them before they occur. I still play plenty of Smash, and will still enter some events from time to time, as I entered MLG and Fusion. I simply do not plan on entering events at the rate I once did. I have not yet found a reliable solution to defeat the top MK players, and hence I will train and study, before tossing myself recklessly in the fray again.

Chris and Max, you know I'll be down to play once I finally get more free time. Also Max, we both know it's likely I'm going to be at your place for a reasonable period of time sometime this summer, so I'm looking forward to that.

M@v

Subarashii!
Pierce, main Marth dude -_-

Your Marth> your Mk for starters, at least from what I've seen.

Smash is the most important thing to me behind school and work, but at the same time, I want to be the best I can be. I dont main mk. Why? Because even though I've used mk a bunch, I still play at my peak when I'm using Falco. I just mold to his style of play better. I think that's the same situation with your marth and your mk.

Dont take this as don't play mk; I'll be the first one to admit I main him in doubles. That's mainly due to mk being borderline broken in doubles, and that Falco is a mediocre doubles character at best. So the Mk character difference overrides the higher level of skill I have with Falco.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Main Metaknight please, so that I can officially be the 2nd best in the crew!
Nah man, Brian Sangil Chung happens to be the best Dedede, so you're fourth right now at best.

Dream on kiddo. Just because I upgrade my character doesn't mean I downgrade my skill.
Using MK in this region and winning is extremely difficult. I hope you realize that. The vast majority of the people you play will be more experienced against MK than they are against Marth.

M@v

Subarashii!
Using MK in this region and winning is extremely difficult. I hope you realize that. The vast majority of the people you play will be more experienced against MK than they are against Marth.

^^^^^^^^^

Its this exact reason I'm learning marth to use over Mk as a secondary. Everyone knows the mk matchup like the back of their hand around here. Also, I find Marth a lot more fun to play as than mk. But that's unrelated to the point here.

QueWhatHuh

Smash Cadet
inui:]Nah man, Brian Sangil Chung happens to be the best Dedede, so you're fourth right now at best.

Godlike.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Pierce, main Marth dude -_-

Your Marth> your Mk for starters, at least from what I've seen.

Smash is the most important thing to me behind school and work, but at the same time, I want to be the best I can be. I dont main mk. Why? Because even though I've used mk a bunch, I still play at my peak when I'm using Falco. I just mold to his style of play better. I think that's the same situation with your marth and your mk.

Dont take this as don't play mk; I'll be the first one to admit I main him in doubles. That's mainly due to mk being borderline broken in doubles, and that Falco is a mediocre doubles character at best. So the Mk character difference overrides the higher level of skill I have with Falco.
I have long since freed myself of silly restrictions like character comfortability in most cases. Understanding the game as a whole is necessary to become a top player. I already have a very, very good MK, as well as many other very good characters. I just picked up Ness, I've maybe played less than 10 matches with Ness in my life, but I already have an amazing Ness (please excuse me for saying so myself, but as we're talking about me . . .) Understanding the game and every character is all you need to be good. Do you honestly think all those top placers are using MK because MK just clicked with them?

My Marth is probably my best character because I know all the MUs with him, and he's my most practiced and comfortable, because he's been my main since Melee. That's the reason my Marth was initially better than my Marth when I started Brawl. I didn't have the same understandings as I do now, but the little I did know about Marth carried over, and then as I poured more effort into Marth, he became a main.

The problem for a lot of people like you, is that you expect a switch to MK to produce instant results. He's broken, not magic. You still have to practice with him, learn MUs, and understand how everything works. I expect that if I can be a top Marth now, it will take me perhaps half a year of maining MK to become a recognized MK. The fact is, I am still already good at MK, and I'm still learning fast. I have to commit to MK, if I want to get good with him.

You're the player here. You choose MK, he doesn't choose you.

Nah man, Brian Sangil Chung happens to be the best Dedede, so you're fourth right now at best.

Uh, so? If I'm the better player, then I'll win. If I'm encountered with a MU I don't know, then I'll learn it, and then I'll continue to win. I can beat ADHD about 40% of the time with Marth. I beat him maybe 30% of the time with MK. I beat him 0% of the time with my MK when I didn't know the MU. Jason can't beat him at all on his good days, because he doesn't understand the MU fully. Understanding the players and the characters greatly helps towards winning. I'm not just going to lose because people know the MU. If it were that simple, MK wouldn't be considered to be so broken. If it were that simple, there wouldn't be discussions of banning the character. I'm a good player, and typically, nay, nearly almost always, when a good player starts to use the best character, they get improved results. You are a primary example of this Inui.

Also, Mav, what you've seen of my MK is bull**** half hearted attempts to warm up on laggy TVs in random MUs like vs. Pika and vs. ZSS, against the best players of these characters. You haven't really seen my MK. I have used MK in tourney before, and my win ratio with him is extremely high.

I appreciate the sentiment. You respect the accomplishments that I have with Marth. However, when you look at it, and really, really come to be honest with it, as I recently have, my status as a Marth main is a lie. Think about it. Who have I "really" beaten? My Marth is good, of this I have no doubts. But if I'm playing to win, then I'm going to opt to use the best tools available to me. That doesn't mean using MK against every player, and in every MU, but it does mean maining MK.

I don't mean this as an insult to the players of NJ at all, but the only MUs I truly fear in this region when using MK is the ditto. Furthermore, I've already proven that I can beat most people below my skill level in the ditto.

So yeah, don't expect to see a whole lotta Marth outta me.

RJ, I'm going to need new sig and avy, we'll talk design later.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
I have long since freed myself of silly restrictions like character comfortability in most cases. Understanding the game as a whole is necessary to become a top player. I already have a very, very good MK, as well as many other very good characters. I just picked up Ness, I've maybe played less than 10 matches with Ness in my life, but I already have an amazing Ness (please excuse me for saying so myself, but as we're talking about me . . .) Understanding the game and every character is all you need to be good. Do you honestly think all those top placers are using MK because MK just clicked with them?

My Marth is probably my best character because I know all the MUs with him, and he's my most practiced and comfortable, because he's been my main since Melee. That's the reason my Marth was initially better than my Marth when I started Brawl. I didn't have the same understandings as I do now, but the little I did know about Marth carried over, and then as I poured more effort into Marth, he became a main.

The problem for a lot of people like you, is that you expect a switch to MK to produce instant results. He's broken, not magic. You still have to practice with him, learn MUs, and understand how everything works. I expect that if I can be a top Marth now, it will take me perhaps half a year of maining MK to become a recognized MK. The fact is, I am still already good at MK, and I'm still learning fast. I have to commit to MK, if I want to get good with him.

You're the player here. You choose MK, he doesn't choose you.

Uh, so? If I'm the better player, then I'll win. If I'm encountered with a MU I don't know, then I'll learn it, and then I'll continue to win. I can beat ADHD about 40% of the time with Marth. I beat him maybe 30% of the time with MK. I beat him 0% of the time with my MK when I didn't know the MU. Jason can't beat him at all on his good days, because he doesn't understand the MU fully. Understanding the players and the characters greatly helps towards winning. I'm not just going to lose because people know the MU. If it were that simple, MK wouldn't be considered to be so broken. If it were that simple, there wouldn't be discussions of banning the character. I'm a good player, and typically, nay, nearly almost always, when a good player starts to use the best character, they get improved results. You are a primary example of this Inui.

Also, Mav, what you've seen of my MK is bull**** half hearted attempts to warm up on laggy TVs in random MUs like vs. Pika and vs. ZSS, against the best players of these characters. You haven't really seen my MK. I have used MK in tourney before, and my win ratio with him is extremely high.

I appreciate the sentiment. You respect the accomplishments that I have with Marth. However, when you look at it, and really, really come to be honest with it, as I recently have, my status as a Marth main is a lie. Think about it. Who have I "really" beaten? My Marth is good, of this I have no doubts. But if I'm playing to win, then I'm going to opt to use the best tools available to me. That doesn't mean using MK against every player, and in every MU, but it does mean maining MK.

I don't mean this as an insult to the players of NJ at all, but the only MUs I truly fear in this region when using MK is the ditto. Furthermore, I've already proven that I can beat most people below my skill level in the ditto.

So yeah, don't expect to see a whole lotta Marth outta me.

RJ, I'm going to need new sig and avy, we'll talk design later.
You're gay.

Top Bottom