• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Yoshi Labs

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I still don't uerstand what you are talking about.

What lag is getting canceld? And when? What wat?
If you use them before you touch the ground it cancels out ALL landing lag.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I kinda understand what he's saying but that also means the hitbox never comes out, thus it's worthless and just throws out a quarter of a second animation and it autocancels.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Lag cancel and frame canceling are diffrent. Altho I have dair canceld with yoshi(no clue how) lag canceling is diffrent. Its great for mind games and canceling fast falling lag. Dair lag canceling is his easiest to use plus it still has yoshi make a noise. Bair is 2nd easiest. Fair up air also lag cancel but they need to be close or frame perfect so there useless. Nair dosnt lag cancel even if your frame perfect and the animation dosnt come out you actually get more lag then normal.
Note lag cancel doesnt work after falling off a platform. It also makes you run instantly if you run another way or dosnt make your dash slow down running opisite way.
Say If I was in mid air and I threw an egg I could lag cancel to get there faster. If the egg hits I might be able to do a combo or string.

Momentum crawling tech(no clue what its called) still works super awesome for yoshi. If you do it fast he slides while standing. Very good for mixing up approaches and very well for mind games.

Also ill try to make that list next week when I have access to the computer. I really hate typing on mobile.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
This is what I was talking about. It also works from landing from ground. Really good for mind games or good spacing from a sheilding opponent. It basically reverses his forward momentum if you let go of the crawl. Yoshi slides on his but diddy and a few others can do it

Last edited:

HoS_Beast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xillians
To my knowledge this is done by inputing the following:

run ->turn ->backwards crawl -> attack

The crawl needs to be input very soon after the turn and for as little time as possible.
Also, it seems it has a bigger frame window when moving to the left.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
He coulda jumped canceld up smash too so he could slide further. I tryed doing this and I canceld a backwards roll mid roll about 1 second of crawling into a standing position. This isnt the first time this has happend to me and I have no clue how ive done it. Last times I canceld it with a grab or jump. I seriously need to research this.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Super dangerous but worth it if it works and people dumb enough to be near the ledge.
I'll keep this in mind if I ever enter a customs on tournament.

HoS_Beast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xillians
gonna see if i can get my friend to test it with me. We can test which characters it works on and wether or not its a 0% instakill

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I think it dosnt work at 0% unless your opponent cant react. Ive done this before but mostly at 30%. Works with turn around B too.

If it does work at 0% that would be amazing. Wouldnt this make yoshi realy good at platform camping at smashvile? I mean Yoshi has potential to platform camp with his deadly air speed, aireals, eggs and that one boucning egg tech I showed you guys. I use to platform camp ALOT against olimar, sheik and villager. It was helpfull at the time but I stoped. I should start platform camping now just to see the results.

HoS_Beast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xillians
Is the wavebounce really needed for the egg to kill?

For example if I am recovering and I use neutral b 3 while facing to the stage on someone trying to edgeguard me.
The difference is that with the wavebounce you move a lot closer to the ledge before launching them out. you also move a bit down so its a lot harder for bad recovery characters to come back(although it might just be an instakill anyhow.)

So its not NECESSARY. but it is definitively closer to being guaranteed that way.

I think it dosnt work at 0% unless your opponent cant react. Ive done this before but mostly at 30%. Works with turn around B too.
my friend is pretty good at breaking out, so i am gonna have him do peach and see what we can do.

Last edited by a moderator:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Yeah because at low percents the slightest reaction breaks them out. The draw back of this is its not worth thr damage..I like to use it with characters with bad air speeds and vertical/easy to edgaurd recovorys.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
This doesn't work. The opponent can influence his arc. Does only work against opponents doing nothing.
What if we can combo stuff into this? Could this work from jabs? I know if your opponent DId wrong from jabs you can get a free spike.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Even if non correct DI? I know yoshi can combo aireals with dash attack and jabs even at higher % if your opponent has actually bad DI. Could this combo with a fair stun off stage or a tilt? Back air spike into B or maybe some of his custom egg rolls into it? I know eggs can combo into it. Probably useless but ive never really experimented with combos involving his B.

I have a question. Ive never really tryed this out or thought about it till now but can yoshi egg lay an opponent that is hanging off the stage without invincibility?

HoS_Beast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xillians
I have a question. Ive never really tryed this out or thought about it till now but can yoshi egg lay an opponent that is hanging off the stage without invincibility?
If the invincibility is gone,yes. But you might as well(if you can get there in time) wave bounce back and grab them before they even get to the ledge.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
You could also launch them under the stage depending on there recovory.
I egglay ganons little macs captain falcons all the time because there recovorys are absolutely harmless and extemely easy to tech and some of them have super armor.
Nothings more satisfying then back air spikeing as they slowly falll to there death blaming there controller not working lmao.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I'd rather use Fair on someone who decides to regrab the ledge or stays there even after the invicibilty has gone than trying such a risky gimmick

Last edited:

YoshiYoshi

Smash Apprentice
I haven't seen this mentioned here, but people using B reverses must not forget about the grounded down-B reverse. I've added it to my repertoire lately and it's been so, so huge, making up for lost KO power from behind. All it takes a little 'hadouken' motion and Yoshi will flip around and get the flinch > drop. The flinch comes out on frame 7 or 8 I believe, a little slower than F-tilt, but it's great for punishes when someone lags out behind you.

Toonation

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aghiliz
3DS FC
0490-5328-2001
https://vine.co/v/ez1OdKr2pjI

just dropping this her.

This could be fun!

The crawl needs to be input very soon after the turn and for as little time as possible.
Bringing this cool tech up from a month ago again.
Just to add point out the obvious You can do a baby crawl too.
http://gfycat.com/UnripeCelebratedIguana
Although turning all the way around like the Japanese player did looks cooler lol.

The crawl tech in general seems useful.

Edit: As a Yoshi main is it recommended to enable Tilt Sticking for Teching purposes?

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Tilt sticking for teching? Could you explain what techs you mean?

Ultimately, C-stick is just a preference. It's not really necessary for smashes, and it still has good functionality for aerials as tilt stick. So I think it's worth switching to, if you don't mind the change.

Wave57

Smash Rookie
how do you do that ?

How do you wavebounce consistently ihave put my shoudler button (L) to special but i do a egg roll 2 out of 3 time seems that the should button is not quite a consistent way.
Just takes a lot of practice, the timing is very strict. I personally do it with R instead so that way my right hand does both inputs. Switching that made it feel much easier.

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
Just takes a lot of practice, the timing is very strict. I personally do it with R instead so that way my right hand does both inputs. Switching that made it feel much easier.
i will try it but damm i need to get use of L for shield XD

noft

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
1345-3004-6632

what is the name of this tech, i havnt seen anything on it yet and am going to be learning it today after work. so are u getting the super crawl mechanics like diddy kong gets from his side b at certain height and smashing back crawl? ooor, is this even possible 1.08. im thinking about just making quick vids on how to do some of these techs when i get time, i do think this thread would be better if we compiled all the techs on the first post under spoilers, tagged, works, patched out,

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
what is the name of this tech, i havnt seen anything on it yet and am going to be learning it today after work. so are u getting the super crawl mechanics like diddy kong gets from his side b at certain height and smashing back crawl? ooor, is this even possible 1.08. im thinking about just making quick vids on how to do some of these techs when i get time, i do think this thread would be better if we compiled all the techs on the first post under spoilers, tagged, works, patched out,
Its still around. Its a great mix up approach thats super safe on sheilds. Also making a video would be amazing.

noft

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
1345-3004-6632
Your doing the backcrawl for to long. If you do it for a few frames it slides much further.
Ok i felt that it was to short ill keep testing it out. Its difficult to get the crawl down, but ill post another vid after ive worked on it more.

check this, didnt expect this to happen for some reason.

sorry for the bad quality at work just messin around on the 3ds trying to do the crawl slide lol.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Anybody know how safe yoshis infinatejab is one sheilds? You know the one which Involves ducking. If we know exactly the frames the first jab to first jab inbetween we could see who we could inifinatly jab sheilds without getting grabed.

Also noft that works but you can also do it midair.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
So is that a no? What about people withbad grabs? Maybe in the yoshi ditto we could infinite jab his sheild without getting punished?

Also does anyone know yoshis sheild mechanics? Like if his frame sheold drops and stuff like if he can tilt his sheild because I feel like that topic could totally be a separate thread.

Top Bottom