• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Winning Steak Cinemas: Video Archive & Criticism Thread Updated

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
our matches are usually much closer, but i told him going in that we were gonna record that one.
ill probably have more coming with in the next couple weeks to get ready for pound.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdjDYjY0H6w&feature=feedu

best ending ever.

if he knew that was going to happen, im upset with him for knowing the knockback angle that well.
If he didnt know that was going to happen, im upset with him for killing me.

ps.
this is for speed specifically.
Remember when we were talking about uses for dair as an attack?
that video contains pretty much all of the situations I use dair in so watch closely.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Hey Goggles, you care for critique or do you feel confident about errthan'?

I'm not sure if it's just because you didn't feel the need or get the chance, but I feel like you're missing some stuff.

Like perhaps instead of punishing with ledgehopped Fair, maybe you could try ledgedrop reverse Spindash Back air?

... Oey, very difficult to explain that with words. You just basically Spindash away from the ledge, jump-cancel, then back air. I like this better because it's one solid hit that can't be DI'd and isn't that much slower than the former I feel.

Or how about your UTilt usage? I felt a lot of the times that you either grabbed or tried to go for a land-camp punish you could've UTilted and it would've worked just as great, if not better.

And rolling is bad. I'm sure you knew this already, but oh God when you had to dodge the MK FSmash/DSmash shenanigans and rolled right in front of Snake, I thought "Oh God he's gonna get UTi- huh?!" if he didn't USmash. :X Just hold that shield until things cool down/go back to neutral. gmiosdgnsdgnodh.

Other than that, looks solid.

:093:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
yea, I panicked hard on that one. definitely the low point for me in that particular match. normally I would have just sprang out of shield

as for the ledge hop thing, if I feel the other guys is being laggy enough to make it guaranteed, ill go for the bair (btw, I was there when we all figured out how to do that, so you dont have to explain it to me lol.), but normally i stick to the fair because like in that match, if they di out of it, I can still get a nair in before i land. (KID AT number 5 I believe it was...hehe) And If they are gonna be that laggy anyway, it might just be better to go for a ledge hop down b, which combos into the back air anyway, and has the bonus of being a better kill option due to not sending the opponent ALL the way across to the other side of the screen.

lastly, fk up tilt, bad move and shouldnt be used except in the rarest of rare situations.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Oh god, that video is amazing. Smashville denied that gimp.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2QyLInGJJY

^^ lollll, there's so much in here to love
lol why are you D1AOS's official fanboy? I would understand if you post one of his videos and say he has potential...but this is just ridiculous now xD you're posting his videos like every week and saying that he's great and that there's "so much to love" in his videos. For me there wasn't so much to love in that video >_< just way too much SDR/ASC approaching and dumb gimmicks that his opponent would always fall for, and dumb SDs from both players (or what should have been an SD). Yes he's pretty good but he's not that good...he makes plenty of mistakes and it just doesn't look like it because his opponents make even more mistakes.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
lol why are you D1AOS's official fanboy? I would understand if you post one of his videos and say he has potential...but this is just ridiculous now xD you're posting his videos like every week and saying that he's great and that there's "so much to love" in his videos. For me there wasn't so much to love in that video >_< just way too much SDR/ASC approaching and dumb gimmicks that his opponent would always fall for, and dumb SDs from both players (or what should have been an SD). Yes he's pretty good but he's not that good...he makes plenty of mistakes and it just doesn't look like it because his opponents make even more mistakes.

1. Sounds like somebody in here is mad cus they dont live in a region thats completely free as balls and will let them win money there over and over and over with very little resistance.

2. Also sounds like that same somebody is mad the new guy is better than him.

3. The dude has like 8 vids put up every other week from the tourneys hes consistently attending and last i checked this is the sonic video thread, I dont really see why it should be illegal to post his vids here...

4. He does have a lot of potential and hes pretty solid as a player, although its clear that playing with nothing but massive scrubs leaves his gameplay very sloppy. since theres nobody there that can take advantage of his holes.

5. Fizzie never said he was good. he just said that the vids are great to watch mainly for entertainment value, since its an above average sonic doing anything and everything he wants to below average players.

6. Fall back son.

NH Cody

Smash Champion

1. Sounds like somebody in here is mad cus they dont live in a region thats completely free as balls and will let them win money there over and over and over with very little resistance.
haha. I suppose this is somewhat true.

2. Also sounds like that same somebody is mad the new guy is better than him.
eh...maybe, if at all it would be by a small margin. I don't make silly mistakes like that but my reaction time is slow. So yeah I will admit he's probably better than me, but I'm not mad about that xD
3. The dude has like 8 vids put up every other week from the tourneys hes consistently attending and last i checked this is the sonic video thread, I dont really see why it should be illegal to post his vids here...
I know, I don't have a problem with that. I just find it odd that infzy posts these vids in the SGD and says similar things, this is the first (or maybe second?) time I've seen him post the vids here as far as I can remember.
4. He does have a lot of potential and hes pretty solid as a player, although its clear that playing with nothing but massive scrubs leaves his gameplay very sloppy. since theres nobody there that can take advantage of his holes.
Agreed.
5. Fizzie never said he was good. he just said that the vids are great to watch mainly for entertainment value, since its an above average sonic doing anything and everything he wants to below average players.
I got a different impression...like he was saying D1AOS is SO AWESOME and we should all watch his videos and copy his style, with the way infzy would bombard us with these videos in the sgd and here on occasion.

I would understand if D1AOS asked infzy to post these videos everywhere but I don't know of this happening, so to me it's just odd...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
... In all due honesty, we all probably should watch D1AOS' vidjos.

It's practically entertainment when a Sonic player gets in.

Makes ya think "damn, if I went OoS I could Spindash steamroll people too!"

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I got a different impression...like he was saying D1AOS is SO AWESOME and we should all watch his videos and copy his style, with the way infzy would bombard us with these videos in the sgd and here on occasion.

I would understand if D1AOS asked infzy to post these videos everywhere but I don't know of this happening, so to me it's just odd...

1. lol @ linking one vid out of the close to ten he puts up every tournament equalling a bombardment.

2. Im subscribed to that YT account so i watch all the vids before they even get posted here. and I can honestly say fizzie always takes the most entertaining vid of each tournament to post here.

3. youre clearly over reacting.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Wow, actually yeah I hadn't noticed, but two weeks ago I also posted a link to a d1aos vid. Actually to two, but one was a question about brawl's physics system. idk, I'd found that previous match enjoyable, so I posted it. This is the sonic video thread, after all. :p

I think d1aos is one of very few sonics who've posted recent vids lately. Mostly I troll here looking for vids to watch.

This time, the vid wasn't even about good playing. Even though it's a GF match, the opponent was playing terrible. See the 1st stock >.> But things I found interesting in that vid:

- 0:16 he lands a 2-hit ASC into Uair. It's not often you can land multi-hit ASC's in a real match; but DK's one of the few characters it tends to happen on, so I guess it's nothing special. Though he pulls this off twice.

- 0:43 Watch the way his Uair slides onto the stage. This was discussed year(s)(?) ago in a Sonic Moveset thread, discussing Uair: the possibility that Sonic's shape rises enough for the second hit of the Uair that it could raise him into a platform where otherwise he might not make it. This is a very good example of a very rare and subtle phenomenon.

- 0:50 good use of an SDR turnaround, which is pretty rare to come across.

- 1:02 An instance of the Fthrow DI trap!? (ie. someone DI'ing Fthrow the way they're supposed to DI our Uthrow, ie. one of the only uses of Fthrow that's supposed to make any sense (except noone learns the sonic matchup anyway, and presumably in this instance it was just a terrible mistake) but regardless, an Fthrow that went directly into a Uair KO? that's kinda silly.

- 1:24 The DK did the right thing and grabbed Sonic out of his spring, but Sonic was saved by the extremely-lucky SV platform, which is lolz. I wasn't actually sure if that platform was low enough to catch Sonic out of an aerial grab-release, so it's good to know that we're saved in that circumstance.

- 1:30 I'm not sure about the frame-data, but it looks like he successfully used the side-B's invincy frames to get through DK's Dsmash.. which is pretty lucky

- 1:53 Nair is commonly used to pop the SV balloon, since Nair is bad and it will freshen Sonic's other moves. But here he was naturally combo'ing into Nair, which also just happened to hit the balloon as well, so I thought that was pretty cute.

- Sonic 3-stocking a DK in a GF match LoL

That's what I meant, about this vid. There were some interesting things showcased here. The playing was actually pretty bad; you could tell that the DK was awfully demoralized after that first SD. And the Sonic was kinda just abusing that.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psLfm03flPk&feature=feedu

holy balls.

It looks like I move so fast in vids but it seems so slow when im actually playing.

feel like im getting back into fighting shape for pound V, what do you guys think?
I have one thing to say. Get. Off. Of. My. Green. Dats. Mine.

Go back to

lol really though, you did purdy good, nice clean match. I'd say just work on punishing nado, but sometimes its smart not to...or is it? Mk will either: SL, Spotdodge, roll behind you. Or just dsmash. you have to get in on those incy tincy cooldown frames. But other than that, keep it up. You look solid, just keep practicin. Pound will not be easy.

lol double fsmash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdjDYjY0H6w&feature=feedu

best ending ever.

if he knew that was going to happen, im upset with him for knowing the knockback angle that well.
If he didnt know that was going to happen, im upset with him for killing me.

ps.
this is for speed specifically.
Remember when we were talking about uses for dair as an attack?
that video contains pretty much all of the situations I use dair in so watch closely.
I see what you mean with dair. i make verrrry little use of that because i want to condition my opponent then nail them with the dair. Nair is so good. @_@

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
san is like my melee teams partner, he just does stupidly intelligent things all the time for pretty much no reason.

@ speed.
only reason im green in that replay is because on my wii. GoggleSonic is on the green texture so that I can use him in teams. I also use red from time to time because that has my KnuckleSonic texture on it. but dark doesnt have either of those so it looks like i stopped playing black sonic, when i still do whenever im not on my own wii.

if i feel im not going to be able to punish something in time, usually Ill just not try cus forcing things that i know wont work just puts me in a bad situation. like when falco phantasms thru you and you try to punish but he just manages to spot dodge you every time? its like that. when im in that situation I will usually either run up to them and shield and wait to react to what they do, or just do something completely random like run past them and see what happens.

also, i see what you mean with punishing nados better, im usually more on point with grabbing and f smashing after nados, but jason is really good with making it ambigous as to which side of me hes going to land on. I have to work on down smashing in those cases and f tilting more for punishment. maybe ill try to play snake a bit. I know that will make me a pro at f tilt out of shield.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
lol i see. You and San make gewd pawtnuhs.

thats how i feel sometimes. Thats why i said sometimes it is better to not punish, and test them out. Falco is a darned good example man, i am not going to try to punish phantasm unless I know i can get the punish.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
the way I do it is if I power shield the phantasm, i go for a grab/dash attack. but if I only regular shield it, based on positioning, ill either run up shield, or dash attack.

the run up shield on falco (as long as your not at low percents) is amazing. falcos will spot dodge anything, anytime at the first sense of danger. Trust me, I do it too.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Updated the video archive.

I can't even begin to tell you guys how happy I was seeing that everyone who wanted videos in the archive put them in the right format.

I still need to touch on one little thing, though:

Kinzer, I know this is a teeny bit nit picky, but can you space your videos like everyone else did? I had to go in and fix that for you.

Also, always, always, ALWAYS just post the necessary URL. Your videos included the features url, and all of that other junk after the initial '&'. Getting rid of that stuff prevents the links from being cut short in your posts, and saves a little bit of time during updates.

In any case, vids are up. I also included some doubles videos of me and SkyPirateCoud's Olimar from this weekend's tournament.

So yeah.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
He hasn't submitted anything since I started buckling down on the submission format.

The only videos that didn't go through during this update were those that you posted up, but those obviously weren't up for the intention of being archived, so yeah.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Greetings to you Mr. Sonictailslink,

That video shows your playstyle as utter chaos. I have no idea why you make the choices that you do, the majority of the time. I want you to slow down, and think about why you're pushing buttons before you push them. The only reason you didn't get 3-stocked is because your opponent had no idea how to play ICs; you were grabbed about a million times.

Here's your algorithm:
- far away from opponent: spindash
- falling towards opponent: Bair, why not
- close to opponent: Fsmash
- in the sky above the opponent: ASC
- opponent's off-stage: drop a spring at them (notice how often this actually worked out for you? it saved them on occasion.)
- i'm scared: spotdodge! (even when the opponent is far away??)

This is silly; you're learning to play like a CPU. Instead, I want you to watch what your opponent was doing (his patterns were just as simple!), and act in a way that responds to what you know they're going to do. This is the most important thing for you to be thinking about, and it's a very hard thing to learn how to do.

For example, the first time they side-B'd to recover, they went straight for the ledge. Because, of course you'd just try to Fsmash them if they land on the stage. But then the next time they did the same thing, you should have seen it coming and gone for the instant ledgegrab.

Other notes about technique:
- If you're falling a Bair at the opponent, your spacing had better be very good so that you just barely poke in with the shoe, staying out of grab range. Especially against ICs. If you're falling right on top of them, well, don't.
- You keep aiming your ASC's at the ground directly in front of the opponent. This is a terrible thing vs. ICs. With them, your ASC has to try and hit their foreheads so that it's harder for them to grab you. And really, you shouldn't be ASC'ing right at them so much; not unless they're otherwise preoccupied.

Just IMO. Hope this helps!

Edit: wow, my post sounds harsh. 'm srry. just tryna help! for the record, I have all these same problems, if not worse.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Very well. Just leave the download link in my PM box.

Good that you tell me ahead of time too. >_>

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Vids' up Excel.

I'd put them up myself but I'm in class ATM. Can't access YT without the entire servers slowing down and them noticing.

Just look at my channel.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Is it just me or do you seem to have more difficulty when you get put into the air.

I doubt it's you and it may be MU specific, but in this particular case it just seemed to do you in.

at the very least though, you got me thinking about some punishment options for DB if I shield it. Been meaning to learn those.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
thanks for all the critiquing guys
im totally pulling my 2 month :sonic: at the tourney tomorrow
i'm actually fairly confident in it.
ive beaten people who say stuff like
"oh i play Chris all the time you'll never beat me with sonic!"
procedes to win that money match.
even though i do take after chris in playstyle im still different in the options i choose :p

oh and i one more match to be critiqued
greatly appreciated
i feel like stuff started to come together in this match! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VCkB-_v0PA

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
More stuffs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTRBIez5_TU Excel (Sonic) v Hadesblade (Yoshi) 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv2VOw1B7B4&feature=feedu Excel (Sonic) v Hadesblade (Yoshi) 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyGsXQy8QcU&feature=related Excel (Sonic) v Hadesblade (Yoshi) 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGXk8JP9Coo Excel (Sonic) v Fizzle (D3) 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MisCFN9UAI Excel (Sonic) v Fizzle (GW) 2

So, I'm still mediocre, but I'm improving...I think.

inb4Wedge

Top Bottom