• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Winning Steak Cinemas: Video Archive & Criticism Thread Updated

Trent

Smash Champion
Every Sonic spin dashes like an idiot from time to time, some more than others.

We just can't help ourselves, we wanna go fast and Spindash is SO FASSSTTT!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i still think that grenades, landmines, c4 and jab make it so that most of the time its really not worth spindashing at all against snake.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Landmines and C4 are avoided as long as you pay attention to where he plants them, grenades should actually be giving you a reason TO spindash, and jab...jab is lame, lol.

There IS a tiny window where you can hit him during the jab, but it's stupid small.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
f smash goes through everybodys jab, even ikes, its better on ike, because you can stand right at him jab range, which make him want to jab you, and than when he sticks his hand out, boom. 14% to the dome.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I felt like being gutsy and MMing Fonz's Lucario. I have the set saved and compressed to a .rar on Megaupload. Would anyone care to record it for me? Also, I still hate Pictochat. I CP'ed him there game 2 and did worse than I did game 1. So yeah, **** Picto. I should've take him to PS1.

LAB 1 $2 Money Match
Excel :sonic: vs Fonz :lucario:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X1OAFYU8
Game 1-SV
Game 2-Pictochat

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Perfect timing. I just managed to save a couple of matches from yesterday's tourney (but stupid me, never the whole sets. >_<). I can upload those two while I go through my batch.

Also, does anybody here happen to have the forced replays hack? Not to be a douche, but this is just so I won't forget to save all of my matches. Seriously.

:093:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
and he wonders why I have him on ignore.

maybe if wedge could get off of his moms teat for 2 seconds, he might be able to show up to a tournament and lose some money matches of his own.

Browny

Smash Hater
Make your attacks hit

Seriously

I only watched last minute of match 2 and no exxageration, more than 90% of your attacks required lucario to jump/run into them, he just had to stand still and they missed.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Make your attacks hit

Seriously

I only watched last minute of match 2 and no exxageration, more than 90% of your attacks required lucario to jump/run into them, he just had to stand still and they missed.
I honestly couldn't tell you what was going through my mind. If anything I had probably gave up because I wasn't going to win or come close to not getting 2 stocked. I picked Pictochat because I wanted to see if it would actually work in my favor. Clearly, it didn't. Pictochat is balls.

infomon

Smash Scientist
wow that luke rly likes his balls

I like how the related videos are all about "Learn MS Excel basics!" teehee

If anything I had probably gave up
don't ever let that happen again.

I picked Pictochat because I wanted to see if it would actually work in my favor. Clearly, it didn't.
Yes it did. It totally did. It gave you an approach and you were able to get hella damage off of it. Your gamestyle was very different than the first match, and in a way that clearly benefit you; except for when you made some mistakes and took terrain damage.... but that was your mistake and not rly your opponent's achievement.

I think there's some unpolished aspects of your character's self-control that you need to work on. Particularly with things like, throwing out bairs, you'd often miss the target, or just seem to have their timing a bit wrong. Work on buffering and timing (do you have homebrew? maybe try to figure out exactly what frame things can come out and see if you can refine certain things, like make sure you're able, when you want, to react as quickly as possible out of a landing or shielddrop).

I feel like you might be trapping yourself in spindashes a bit too much. I know it's a stupid matchup and it's not clear to me either what to do. But maybe get more comfortable with DDP'ing and shorthopping.

There were some missed opportunities when your opponent would roll too much, without any real prompting, and you could have just left a hitbox where he was rollin' lol, particularly with bairs.

*shrug* but I'm terrible at this game.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOKMphWPXMI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL - Kinzer(Sonic) & Tails(Sonic) Vs. Lycan(Snake) & Zombe(Donkey Kong) 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdXnviC1Msw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL - Kinzer(Sonic) & Tails(Sonic) Vs. Lycan(Snake) & Zombe(Donkey Kong) 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xILxDX49EXA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL - Kinzer(Sonic) & Tails(Sonic) Vs. Trog(Luigi) & Cruz(Wolf)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urXz5cJluhg&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL - Tails(Sonic) Vs. Kite(Ike)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnImx3D9Myo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL - Tails(Sonic) Vs. Exo(Lucario) 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPJuR4n0SEM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL - Tails(Sonic) Vs. Exo(Lucario) 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtgiYWeogZM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL - Tails(Sonic) Vs. Kinzer(Lucario) 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuE-y3_wRXo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL - Tails(Sonic) Vs. Kinzer(Lucario) 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez8ZUs_0pzw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL - Kinzer(Sonic) Vs. Hino(Falco)

(Sorry Espy, I lost track of what set this was, though if you don't want to put it down, especially since I didn't save the other match, :/ that's fine.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypx5kh0VfSU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL - Kinzer(Sonic) Vs. Twinx(Ness)

Before any of you get on a tangent, just STFU please. Like none of you haven't gotten beasted yourself by low-tier characters that you have no experience or practice against. FOW did not help me at all what with all CPing high-tiers now and whatnot, I'm going to practice that stupid GRCG now that I actually have a reason to. I'm only putting this up to serve as a reminder to myself to always practice even the obscure MUs. Yes I won this one, but I also lost the next two. Frankly because I should've banned Brinstar against Ness, but that's a learning experience gduioghusdioghuig;sd.

I really need to make more friends on the scene. There's enough diversity around to give me what I want/need, and enough skill to give me an idea.

I'm going to put on that "Save Replay" texture. This is the last time I want to forget, and hopefully my SD card won't brick itself again.

Somebody please help Jerry. This guy cannot kill his habits or play against me/Lucario for his own life. Something besides the most obvious "you FSmash too much" and "you roll too much" please, I've already pointed that out to him multiple times... now, and in the past. He still hasn't killed those habits. :/

And now~...

Ugh~!

Finally, all the videos are up. After so many complications with maintenance, and then the first video freezing on me not once, but twice! The second time around it froze when it was 95% finished! Not only that but now the order is out of sync because YT couldn't upload what was the 5th video in the queue. At this point the order of upload doesn't bother me since I mainly put videos up to be archived in the WSC but it's still a hassle.

Anyway Excel, if there's any one thing I've noticed and if Infzy hasn't already pointed out, you get really desperate for FSmash kills/punishes at times. In some cases you did it where it was obvious he wouldn't die. If you ever play against Lucario again just let the kills roll in by themselves, it's best not to force them to come. Play the MU as if to avoid damage, not to dish it out. Obviously if you don't you're only going to make Lucario's job easier, and the MU is frankly not so bad when he ain't all puffed up on killpower. :X

Oh, I should ask. What're the details? Any you'd like for me to put in the description? I know it was a MM, but that's about it. Nothing about when it happened (lol@your Wii having it on 2034. I hope this isn't Sonic's future. /JK), what the stakes/Steaks were, or perhaps where it happened.

Anyway back to critique.

Go for plain stages. Don't rely on gimmicks like iSDR this time around since Aura can clank and eventually beat you out of your attacks. You want as little distractions/temptations with this MU, focus all your energy on beating the Lucario player. You did much worse on Picto because of this, and I know you're better than this.

Don't ever spot or rolldodge in this MU. Hold down that shield button like your life depended on it... it frankly does. Lucario can punish commitments like that easily with his attacks. If your shield is low just run away and wait for it to regenerate. Lucario cannot pursuit you, and Aura Sphere is easy to see from a mile away as long as you're in a neutral position (much different story when you're like recovering or something but that's another issue).

Don't try and punish his FSmash with anything OoS except for possibly a DA. Nothing else will work except maybe Running grab but I highly discourage that.

Don't go for jab resets. Either finish them or don't do them in the first place.

That's all I can point out. I hope your experience teaches you well.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Yeah, once I saw iSDR wasn't working, I was pretty much like "Welp, I've lost this match." I don't CP Picto for anything. It doesn't benefit me in the least.

I think playing wifi has implemented some bad habits into my gameplay. Like, I know I'm not the most stellar Sonic ever, but one thing I did pride myself on was not having a roll habit. I'd rather walk or run away as it leaves me more options than a roll. The only thing I roll for is if I predict an Fsmash and time it so I'm rolling behind Lucario as he's about to perform the attack. It pretty much grants me a free grab or Fsmash if I do it right.

But yeah, I'm still bad no matter how much I practice. Espy, any advice?

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I actually didn't watch excels matches when I posted that. I watched the one on SV though, and you punished Lucario like, 3 times with single jab. I don't know what that's about. I couldn't focus on anything else after seeing that. Well, besides Lucario not being pressured at all. Just a bunch of cancels that did absolutely nothing to get you in closer. People don't need to react to canceled spins when you're on the other side of the stage.

sonictailslink

Smash Journeyman
Henderson &amp; Downtown Express, Las Vegas, NV
Can I please get some major help with my match up against Lucario. Wedge gave me some advice earlier and I've already noticed some problems with my style. If you can please give me some more advice, that would be helpful

And Kinzer, thank you for uploading my matches.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Not too much of a bite on you, and actually it's more general than anything.

So I was thinking about spindashes the other day and watching one of Tails' video and some others kind of helped confirm it.

When doing down-B (ESPECIALLY) vs projectile users like Falco/Wolf/Lucario/Pikachu... that sort, try not charging while you're rising, possibly on your actual attacking one.

I looked at some really old frame data from dNES and our full hop is about 40 frames, total. Think of it - what I usually see is someone doing a SH going towards the person WHILE charging ASC. The sound is like a "LOLHEY,SHOOT ME" warning. Some people won't just sit in shield and will actually you know, throw something out at your predicted landing path, since we all seem to love doing a FASC, so a plain old grounded downB (SHFF'd) might do us better.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
the first 5 seconds of the match is really good to show why wolf is bad at camping sonic. might be good for the matchup discussion.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
alright guys before X went to cali i asked him for a little training with sonic and ever since ive been watching a lot of his matches trying to get better. Whats better than to Money match?
here is a match against his bro Lada who Chris plays all the time.
i know i sorta get owned but im trying to learn more. some critique?
DS4 vs Lada money match

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Let me go over what is immediately apparent:

Don't try to challenge R.O.B. in CQC. Even if Sonic can somewhat match the speed (though I doubt this), R.O.B. can outrange Sonic and if you need to hit R.O.B. get in and get out.

You (air)dodge(roll) into a lot of attacks. Same goes for Dairing. into said attacks. Sometimes it's the other way around and you don't shield/dodge a follow-up which can be easily avoided.

You spam smash attacks.

For some reason, you do a lot of empty/dead Spin Charges.

It just seems as if you had trouble controlling Sonic. Understandable if you rarely play him. Sonic rewards diversity in the person's playstyle though, and being able to analyze the opponent and adapt helps a lot. It would be nice if you knew the spacing and whatnot, but really that's something that can be fixed with time and practice.

Last but not least:

You didn't start the match with Down-Taunt. :( Best mindgame against R.O.B.s, true story bro.

infomon

Smash Scientist
welcome deathbysquarez

Stop going towards the opponent. I mean, you do it all the time, even while recovering. Try to get yourself into safe zones, rather than always rushing at him hoping you'll land some attacks.

Shield ROB's gyro, it will disappear... you seem to try to jump when it's coming towards you which rarely works out.

Also, that ROB would just do things like throw out Nairs. Sonic can punish Nairs, but you'd often move yourself too far away for it to be useful. Be ready with shorthopped fastfalled Bairs; stay out of his range and poke in when it's safe. Though make sure you're not falling towards him if you're trying to bair him... then you'd get shieldgrabbed.

idk, some of what kinzer said. kinz, what's CQC?

Tesh

Smash Hero
You spindashed way way way too much and basically got hit for free with things that will always beat spindash.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Wow i just typed up some long post welcoming this guy and its all gone. So im just gonna summarize it.

- Learn Sonics spacing; its waaaay different than most characters
- You have to mix up spin dash for it to be effective
- dont go SDSC and shield dashing for no reason; you should be using that time to actually thinking of a solid tactic
- Dont sell yourself short; there are tons of Sonic techs _X_ doesnt utilize. Go through our boards, watch Espy as well as the other prominent Sonic mains here.
- Sonic has a ton of options, and for that reason a ton of different play styles that excel at particular things. Learn from your fellow mains; they all have something to teach, even the bad ones.

Welcome to the Sonic boards!

Life

Smash Hero
Looks good KID. Seems like he walked into a lot of stuff tho. That one random SL he did for instance.

Still good considering the matchup's, what, 60-40? But don't rest on your laurels ^.^

Top Bottom