• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Winning Steak Cinemas: Video Archive & Criticism Thread Updated

Nike.

Smash Hero
All FS5 Videos (Espys videos)

Dude, I must say that you are an inspiration to me. Tomball was a disappointment loss to a fliphop and sam, placing 5th out of 30ish.

The very next week, you pull off this steak. Ive never seen your game so accurate. Never. Somehow you were just straight up on fire. Everyone is praising razer, yet he BARELY got by a freakin sonic in the final match!

It is a great honor to live in the same city as you and to record your steak :D

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
All FS5 Videos (Espys videos)

Dude, I must say that you are an inspiration to me. Tomball was a disappointment loss to a fliphop and sam, placing 5th out of 30ish.

The very next week, you pull off this Steak. Ive never seen your game so accurate. Never. Somehow you were just straight up on fire. Everyone is praising razer, yet he BARELY got by a freakin sonic in the final match!

It is a great honor to live in the same city as you and to record your Steak :D
You made a typo, so I fixed it for ya.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt6FeMg_rgw&fmt=18 - Puffball (Sonic) vs. Infinity (Meta Knight) 1 **NEW**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9pkWvij7ns&fmt=18 - Puffball (Sonic) vs. Infinity (Meta Knight) 2 **NEW**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhi17YPgVTA&fmt=18 - Puffball (Sonic) vs. Infinity (Meta Knight) 3 **NEW**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpqrIMUo63I&fmt=18 - Puffball64 (Sonic) vs. Melee1 (Meta Knight) **NEW**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aNvWAd_06U&fmt=18 - Puffball64 (Sonic) vs. d4ba (Snake) **NEW**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibsHsCIRVZE&fmt=18 - Puffball64 (Sonic) vs. d4ba (Meta Knight) 1 **NEW**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygkaYyIvPUs&fmt=18 - Puffball64 (Sonic) vs. d4ba (Meta Knight) 2 **NEW**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNzxbWfexFA&fmt=18 - Puffball64 (Sonic) vs. THieN (Diddy Kong) 1 **NEW**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwnzstGrDTo&fmt=18 - Puffball64 (Sonic) vs. THieN (Diddy Kong) 2 **NEW**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8dzIcidsUE&fmt=18 - Puffball64 (Sonic) vs. THieN (Diddy Kong) 3 **NEW**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHsDPdLkDMw&fmt=18 - Puffball64 (Sonic) vs. Razer (Snake) 1 **NEW**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DCh5nGL7lQ&fmt=18 - Puffball64 (Sonic) vs. Razer (Snake) 2 **NEW**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xablSTdn9Ls&fmt=18 - Puffball64 (Sonic) vs. Razer (Snake) 3 **NEW**

I've updated with all of these. I hope you guys enjoy them.

Epic choking at the end of Razer 3.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'm gonna just go ahead and comment on Puffy's vids here.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhi17YPgVTA&fmt=18 (Infinity 3)
Owwwwwwch, Sonic gets 0-steak combo'd off one shielded up-smash at the very start of the match. Wow. I don't think I'll ever try that again for a long time :urg:

After the first two stocks, I couldn't believe how much of a fantastic comeback you made, all things considered.... I would have just been too upset to concentrate by that point; instead you went crazy supersonic! It was pretty awesome to watch.

I've noticed you never ever Dsmash. :( I think you really missed some opportunities because of it; when he's falling towards you and you try to punish with Fsmash, but he falls behind you instead. Dsmash is great to punish landings IMO.

Also, you seem to have momentum-cancelling down really well, it definitely helped you survive some stuff, that ppl just attribute to "DI". w00t. Make sure you're using down-B instead of side-B or jump, though; I noticed in your 2nd match vs. infinity (green greens) that you died after you jumped; using down-B might have saved you. down-B is sliiightly better than side-B, so use it if you're really in danger.... and if you have the timing for it.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I used to tell ppl it was but I was wrong :urg:

side-B is easier and almost as good as down-B. What happens is that because side-B usually cancels aerial momentum, when you're in knockback it actaully counteracts your ability to fight knockback lol. So during the (small) start-up lag for the side-B, it's as if your knockback is increased during that time; you get an extra boost away from the stage. It's quite small though. down-B's startup lag doesn't have the extra boost, but you're still flying away in knockback during the startup, so it doesn't save you that much over down-B's startup.

Our side-B / down-B momentum-cancelling is an underrated secret of Sonic's toolset; it's almost virtually equivalent to bucket-braking, and certainly superior to yoshi's side-B and DK's up-B braking that I featured in my bucket-braking vid. :laugh:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I always use down-B to momentum brake.

Oh, and that 90% thing was my fault after the first 20-30%-ish for running back into him. If I had run away I might have been able to avoid that 50+ damage later.

You're right in that I don't dsmash too much, and I've been meaning to implement it more often.

FSmash is more of a force of habit though, so once I kick that, I'll be able to focus more on better options.

And I go by a specific mantra: Even if I know you're going to beat me, I refuse to make it easy for you.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
ive been trying to force myself to add D smash to my game as as a sidestep punisher instead of mindgameing a F-smash all teh time. different looks, yknow...

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Oh my Steak jesus espy, I've only started watching your vids and they're too steakalicious.

I have to say, more than perhaps anything, your dash control and spacing is what make you such a Steakling.

I just got a wholeeeee lotta content for Sonic Underground... dios mio. I was already working on your part, but this is gonna have to supercede alot of old stuff! XD.

Now someone explain to me how MK is 70-30 MK again?

Napilopez

Smash Lord
The fact that MK is a Sonic with more range/speed and less lag. :X
Did you just say that MK is like Sonic, but quicker?

O.o
O.O
o.O

Fail, my fellow steakling

=P

Doesn't take away the fact that Sonic is the only char that can punish his minimal lag pretty effectively... not to mention shuttle loop is worthless against Sonic as a kill move in 90% of instances.

But these matches were so much fun to watch. I strive to achieve your dash control.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I know, it's not right. Nobody is faster than Sonic. Barlw logic/physics ftl.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I know, it's not right. Nobody is faster than Sonic. Barlw logic/physics ftl.
Hahaha.

Anyways, the KO at 1:25 I think on the last Snake vid was too good. Mindgameessss

It saddens me thinking that had it not been for that time you tripped Espy, you very well may have won the match.

No tripping tourneys FTW.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Killing time here.

So since a lot of people have a stereotype over this or something, go ahead and take a look at Espy's matches Vs. Thien.

...Who says Sonic Vs. Diddy matches are slow anyway? I've fought my fair share of Diddies over Wi-Fi, and I know just how fun it can be. :p

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I love Sonic Vs. Diddy. Its too fun. And Espy's banana control on FD is too good. I think he had control of the banana's more often than THieN on that match =P.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Killing time here.

So since a lot of people have a stereotype over this or something, go ahead and take a look at Espy's matches Vs. Thien.

...Who says Sonic Vs. Diddy matches are slow anyway? I've fought my fair share of Diddies over Wi-Fi, and I know just how fun it can be. :p
I hate Diddy on wifi.

I'm running getting ready to dash attack counter or shield if the Diddy throws a banana, and wha-
I trip.

;/

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Guys, I think we found our Sonic hero.

Seriously, those matches are incredible, and as Kojin put it "when I grow up, I wanna be just like you"

:093:

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Espy, now that I'm done being amazed at your amazingness, some suggestions.

As infzy said, a bittt more dsmash, at elast when it comes to stuff on the ground. The general rule for me is this, if opponent is approaching in a direction where he has na attack that is very disjointed from the air, then use Fsmash, because it has its own disjointedness. Dsmash does fine against grounded moves, but gets pwned by disjointed aerials, because it doesn't really have a disjoint. Otherwise, it comes out faster, is bidirectional, and has a quicker charge release than fsmash as well.

Also, when you go for the Uthrow>UpB Kill set-ups, don't forget to mix it up with Bairs in addition to Uairs. For example, against razer, he ALWAYS airdodged whenever you went for the Uthrow>UpB>Uair. Because Side B has that laggy startup, it would have been perfect to KO him pretty much everytime you do that, as it would ahve hit right after the airdodges. I also believe it kills slightly lower than Uair.(At least, you can uthrow at lower percentages becuse you want to be next to them rather than below).

Its also nice because the UpB>Bthrow Kill is really hard to DI correcctly. If you DI Up as one usually would against Bairs, then you are sent more vertical, which is not a good thing when you are so high up in the air. If You DI down, then you are sent totally horizontal, which makes for easier border KOs. And if yuo don't DI, you're succeptible to either. So yea, its cool :p

Lol@ Dtilt spam against Snake XD.

You make Sonic look like a heavyweight with the absurd percentages you survive to O.o

Against MK, remember that as soon as you hear that shuttle loop sound go off, just input an UpB immediately. Unless the MK is riiiighhttttt in front of you when he uses it(as in so close to you that the spring hitbox doesn't come out in time), Aerial UpB will always hit MK out Shuttle Loop. Always. And keep in mind when MK is spamming Aerials, that his aerials cannot clang with spring because of their transcendent(or whatever its called) priority :D

I think you should use more pummels without actually throwing at high eprcentages. Sonic has a quick pummel, and I saw several times where your kill moves were weakened due to staleness, and thus, didn't kill. Pummeling is the quickest way to unstale moves onluess you're in a stage like Luigi's mansion where there are "hittable" objects.

RenegadeRaven

Smash Ace
I screwed up...
REALLY bad... >_<

I meant to jump to an uair and hope to hit him on the ledge, but accidently did nair and panicked.
Haha, it's cool. You won though.
Nice games on Green Greens though. Edgehog on that meta was too good.
I'mma start using that stage now. =P

-------------------

More importantly.

Entering my first tourney this Saturday.
Atomic Comics
Haven't played since like mid December. /john
Hopefully I'll manage. >_>
Main goal is to at least get some vids of my Sonic, so you guys can poke fun at critique it.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Haha, it's cool. You won though.
Nice games on Green Greens though. Edgehog on that meta was too good.
I'mma start using that stage now. =P

-------------------

More importantly.

Entering my first tourney this Saturday.
Atomic Comics
Haven't played since like mid December. /john
Hopefully I'll manage. >_>
Main goal is to at least get some vids of my Sonic, so you guys can poke fun at critique it.
That sounds like fun.
Just enjoy yourself and play as hard as you can. Any Sonic videos are worth it too.

Khaoz

Smash Journeyman
Haha, Espy I went to a smashfest today in Dallas with pple who had played you at FS5 and everyone just either had an "I survived Espy, this wont be hard" or "crap! sonic..." attitude against me...lol

PBT tourney tommorow, time to follow you up...

(yeah no pressure right :( )

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Haha, Espy I went to a smashfest today in Dallas with pple who had played you at FS5 and everyone just either had an "I survived Espy, this wont be hard" or "crap! sonic..." attitude against me...lol

PBT tourney tommorow, time to follow you up...

(yeah no pressure right :( )
lolz, my work is done.

Oh, and give those who reacted that way a message from me:

"You're too slow!!"

or, my up and coming favorite:

"Your speed does NOT amuse me..."

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Not bad Chis.

I recommend more Uthrow, you only used it once. Granted it was only a 2 stock match, but that move is too good to use only once. You used Dthrow, which is okay since the opponent doesn't know it's broken, lol. You're really good at getting the grab, so it's important to know all of your different throw options and followups. At high levels of play, Dthrow to nothing won't profit too much.

0:20 - 0:22
^Please don't ever do that again. LOL

1:30 - 1:32
^Not too sure what you were trying to do there. You just kinda jumped and airdodged...that's begging for punishment...which happened *grab*. Airdodging nothing at close range is always bad.

Besides that though, you did well. Put tilts, ASC, and SDSDs to good use. I liked it, your Sonic is coming together very smoothly :p

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Thanks Camalange.

But the sad thing is that due to a lack of practice my Sonic is a bit rusty :(

I'l change that soon though.

?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
No problem man.

Practice makes perfect. Just get out there and steak it up.

:093:

Top Bottom