• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Wii Virtual Console Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensai

Smash Master
'A witty saying proves nothing.' - Voltaire (pwned!)

I figure Nintendo's just saving the big titles (or at least, a good portion of them) for the drought of games that they always experience. That way, when it comes around, they'll just toss on OoT, LttP, Mario Bros 3, etc, and be like 'Look! We have games!'

And Stryks....I need those cats.

Starmanclock

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fangzthewolf
Hey, I just downloaded Super Mario 64, Super Castlevania IV, and Super Mario Bros. I already have Sonic the Hedgehog and Altered Beast on top of that.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Yeah... 1 awesome/memorable/retro game per week in times like this with a couple less-known-but-not-bad games to back them up would be rather reasonable. At this rate it feels like we're gonna get all the good games at once... not like that's a bad thing.

~If you like Sonic games and you don't have Ristar yet, buy it. Now.

Sensai

Smash Master
I've made 40 bucks this week, meaning 8 NES games. Or 5 Genesis games. Or 6.5 TurboGrafix games....

...or Mario 64 4 times.

Seriously: where the hell are the 64 games? I know I missed a bunch of good games there, so I'd love to pick 'em up. C'mon Nintendo.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Yeah I know, im pissed at nintendo for the lack of n64 games, i mean there are so many to choose from: goldeneye, smash 64, OoT, LoZ MM, hell why not pokemon stadium 1 and 2... nintendo u better give me more n64 games... *loads shotgun* or the cats get it...

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Stryks;2046594or the cats get it...[/QUOTE said:
What creates this hate for cats inside you... was there a bad past experience as a young lad, or is it cause you are just against cats. Seriously, that isn't very nice. You better be careful, PETA might eat you. No lie.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I dont know... I mean i see dogs get hit at mistreated every day... yet no cats... what a way to show nintendo im serious by usin a shotgun against cats XD... *stops spamming* but seriously nintendo more n64 games... *reloads shotgun*...

Sensai

Smash Master
Wow, Osco. What a buzz kill. Just throw off the whole thread, whydoncha?

Well, we'll be getting games in about 9 hours or so. I have no idea what any of them are going to be, but hopefully we'll get a freakin' 64 title. Although I doubt it, as WarioWare: Smooth Moves comes out tomorrow.

I know, I'm such a jerk, aren't I?

Majora Zach

Smash Cadet
Hahah.

Found this a bit funny about the virtual console.

With a GameCube controller you can use them ALL, except for some Genesis and TurboGrafx games. You can use the Wii remote for TurboGrafx, so all you'd be buying the Virtual Console controller for is for SOME (not all) Genesis games.

If there were a Genesis game that I BADLY wanted that wouldn't let me use the GCN controller, then I may buy the Virtual Console controller. But until then I'm staying with my own resources.

So far I've bought Super Mario Bros. (NES) and The Legend of Zelda (NES). I'm predicting the Internet Channel to be 1000 points when it's released fully, and I want it. I didn't want to buy Super Mario 64 since I have my 64 right next to my Wii, with Super Mario 64 already popped in.

Majora Zach

Smash Cadet
That's one of the games I've been looking forward to. Definitely going to get it at release. I remember renting the WarioWare game for the GCN at BlockBuster, and I fell in love with it.

Smooth Moves with a Wii Remote would be god-like.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I'll be getting Smooth Moves on Tuesday as well. This is a Virtual Console thread so I'll give my thoughts out elsewhere...

And I hear the browser may be as little as 500 points. Still only a rumor, but not much difference.

virtualgamecafe

Smash Journeyman
Hahah.

Found this a bit funny about the virtual console.

With a GameCube controller you can use them ALL, except for some Genesis and TurboGrafx games. You can use the Wii remote for TurboGrafx, so all you'd be buying the Virtual Console controller for is for SOME (not all) Genesis games.

If there were a Genesis game that I BADLY wanted that wouldn't let me use the GCN controller, then I may buy the Virtual Console controller. But until then I'm staying with my own resources.

So far I've bought Super Mario Bros. (NES) and The Legend of Zelda (NES). I'm predicting the Internet Channel to be 1000 points when it's released fully, and I want it. I didn't want to buy Super Mario 64 since I have my 64 right next to my Wii, with Super Mario 64 already popped in.

u copied this from a eb games game informor or the nintendo magisine RIGHT???...my wii is coming in the mail and there are so many good choices can any1 help me out??? WHAAA!

Sensai

Smash Master
I thought that the Browser was going to be free until June or what-have-you. Then full release is expected (or has been foretold) by March, meaning that there is some amount of time in there when we could download it for free.

Or, maybe that's just wishful hoping.

What games came out today, anyways? I haven't had a chance to get on yet, but all the internet sites I go to make no mention of it at all...perhaps they'll come out tomorrow?

Starmanclock

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fangzthewolf
I just downloaded Bomberman, Wario Woods, and Golden Axe. I can't wait for Super Smash Bros is aviable to download.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Today we have Xevious, a motocross game and something with the word "Rage". If they were interesting I would have remembered better. :(

Sensai

Smash Master
Found the list. With Japan's (and even the UK's) big VC lineup, you figure we would get something good, huh?

Nope.

Joystiq said:
Xevious™ (NES®, 1-2 players, 500 Wii Points): Players control their Solvalou ship and destroy the XEVIOUS forces. Fire the zapper missiles against air-based enemies and drop the blaster bombs down upon ground-based targets. Destroy Andor Genesis to earn bonus points. Unique enemies, interesting background music, a variety of vertically scrolling background environments and many hidden game play features differentiated Xevious from the other shooting games released at the time. Are you devious enough to beat Xevious?

R-Type III™: The Third Lightning (Super NES®, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points): It was believed on Earth that the deadly BYDO Empire had been destroyed - but now they've returned, as nasty as ever. Their ships and armies are more powerful than before, and Earth will surely be conquered unless the new R-90 ship can destroy them. Powered with engines that launch it into different dimensions, and armed with the Round, Shadow and Cyclone Forces, the R-90 has what it takes to wipe out the BYDO threat. The BYDO mother ship must be found and destroyed to entirely erase the species from our galaxy.

Moto Roader™ (TurboGrafx16, 1-5 players, 600 Wii Points): Moto Roader is a futuristic racing game that allows up to five players to compete against each other. Players use the cash earned when they win a race to power up their machine. Not only can they change the "TIRE" and "BODY" of their vehicles, but they also can add "SPECIAL" parts. Jump over tall obstacles with a "HOPPER" and blast past rivals at incredible speeds with "NITRO." What multiplayer game would be complete without attack items? Use a forward-launching "GRENADE" or a backward-dropping "BOMBER" to blow up and knock away rivals. Outmaneuver rivals in all eight heats to become the champion. Any combination of Wii Remote™ and Nintendo GameCube™ controllers can be used in multiplayer games.
[Edit:]

I edited things to clear up the mass of text I just posted, as well as to bold the actual games.

[Edit 2:]

My partial review for Dungeon Explorer:

I finally got a good hour in with that Dungeon Explorer game that I downloaded a while back, and I gotta say that it's a bunch of fun, especially if Gauntlet is your game. It's really really hard, due to it probably being intended for multiplayer experiences, so gear up for that. It plays and looks exactly like Gauntlet, with the exception of the graphics being better and there actually being a storyline. Although in contrast, when my mom walked in and saw me playing it, she said that it reminded her of the original Zelda in terms of gameplay (she's never seen Gauntlet, mind you). You have a variety of classes to choose from (6, I think), and depending on which you choose depends on what your attributes are. If you're interested in hack-and-slash games, then this might be something you wanna check out (after getting the original Zelda). I'll probably end up playing a bit with my dad (he loves these type of games), and I'll post what I think of that when that time comes.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Is the News Channel supposed to be available this week in the Wii Shop? It's about time they make use of it now.
I don't think that the News Channel is a "shop" item.

I think it's just something that you get when you update your console.

Sensai

Smash Master
I think it's available on the 27th, right? I actually have no idea.

But I think it's going to be closer to the Weather Channel then the Internet Channel, in that you will be getting it from a system update.

[Edit:]

BTW, Dungeon Explorer with 2 people is even harder then 1. The continues are split between people, so the more you have the less times to die you have, especially if your partners are quickly killed.

It's still a pretty good hack-and-slash.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
ok so apparently nintendo power confirms donkey kong country, a link to the past, and super mario world for january. and seeing like there's only 2 vc mondays left this month, they'll probably be up on the 29th. this monday sega confirms 3 games...comix zone, bonanza bros, and gain ground.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Super Mario World was like, my LIFE until I got Mario 64 a year later. I'll probably get that next for the sake of re-living the past. It's cheaper than the GBA version I failed to ever get, anyways, just like a Link to the Past.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Wow, FINALLY, a good game was added today! A Link to the Past is at our disposal! Everyone, go. Download it. Now.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Too bad I already have it for SNES... and the remake for GBA...

*sigh*

but to be fair this is a GREAT addition to tha Console.

Stryks

Smash Hero
What else did they add today?... Well it doesnt matter to me, since I dont have wii points, just curious... any more awesome games in the virtual console today?...

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Comix Zone, Bonanza Bros, and Gain Ground (genesis) were supposed to be up but I read that they weren't when LttP went up.

Sensai

Smash Master
Alright...a decent game that's worth a download. It really is too bad that I own it, much like Typh, on the GBA and on the SNES already; I won't be purchasing it.

But GJ Nintendo. Please, PLEASE, keep it up. And give us some good ol' 64 gems. That's what we need...although SNES games are great, too.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Hooray *buys* I hope this means that Super Mario World will be graciously make it's way to the VC next week.

Seriously, I'm going to not care whatever the next N64 game is if this keeps up, I'll probably buy it right away. No telling when my Wii internet is going to fail on me, it's like a ticking bomb.

Zink

Smash Champion
I got Street Fighter. It's OK. The GCN controller is flat out awful for it, though. Some techs can't actually be performed, and it's hard to guard.

Sensai

Smash Master

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Hah Bonk's Revenge has tobacco referance. YES all I ever wanted was a game with a caveman on pot. Wow this already makes 3 Bonk games that'll be available for the VC. Better get one soon, I suppose.

I'm annoyed on how much attention the TurboGrafx is getting compared to the 64, especially considering the fact that their library is a lot smaller than the NES or SNES. Here's roughly how many total games were released on each VC compatable system:

NES - 703
SNES - 680
N64 - 285
Genesis - 640
TurboGrafx - 94

That's odd... you'd think that compared to the other libraries, the N64 would likely be paced less than the TG, but they're basically flushing that system out with minimal choices. Granted, there are many many canidates to make it to the VC even without counting the sucky games. Wonder what they're thinking over there..

Sensai

Smash Master
They're probably thinking 'Ok, people will be more likely to buy the names they trust instead of this crazy TurboGrafx crud.' Then they release on the Grafx due to the fact that no one has 'em or because they just wanna stock up on 'sure-to-be' hits, such as those on the SNES and 64.

I have no idea, except that they're saving their aces for a dry spell.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Hey, what do you know? There's a drought for a long while now. Get some of those good titles out, Nintendo.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've bought more Turbografx than anything else. Mission accomplished, Nintendo. It's just that I have almost every popular Nintendo & Genesis game, so releasing more Turbografx = nintendonuts like me buying them. That's what I think it is.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
I never heard of Turbo Grafix until the Wii came out, and I'm nearly 21 years old and have been playing video games my whole life. Isn't there more Turbo-Grafix games available for download than any other platform? How sad.

However, I was very pleased that A Link to the Past was added yesterday. It is in my top favorite games of all time. I no longer own it on SNES because I don't have a SNES anymore, and I no longer have the GBA version because I no longer have a GBA... heh, so, I'm very happy to own this game for good on my Wii console.

I hope Nintendo gets on the ball about adding popular titles, because these obscure titles are just ridiculous. C'mon, Dungeon Explorer? R-Type? What in god's name are those? Not to be demanding, but I want Mario Kart, I want Goldeneye, I want Banjo-Kazooie, and I want Tetris Attack! Is that too much to ask?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Banjo Kazooie and Goldeneye may be too much to ask. Mario Kart is out in Japan or something, so it's pretty weak we don't have it. Tetris Attack rules, too.

Sensai

Smash Master
Too much grammar to correct....you're all off the hook on account of the fact that I'm too lazy to pull up the errors.

Kereokacola said:
I never heard of Turbo Grafix until the Wii came out...
Agreed.

Cashed said:
Mario Kart is out in Japan or something
I think that it's coming out in Japan, not that it's out. Although, to be fair, they're getting much better treatment then we are. :-/

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
From their latest press release:

But new titles don’t begin to describe the array of game action available on Wii. With yesterday’s Virtual Console release of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past from the NES®, the library of downloadable Wii titles grows to 42. Also, next week will see the addition of an all-time favorite, Mario Kart 64. Nintendo will continue to make weekly announcements to update Wii owners about upcoming releases.
Sweet. According to the same site (Gonintendo), there's also a strong chance Super Mario World will be coming out within the next few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom