• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Wii Virtual Console Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
How's Mario Kart 64? The only Mario Kart games I've played are the Cube and DS versions, and the Cube version is awful, and the DS version is broken because of snaking.

And thank God that LttP is out now. If only Super Metroid were available. . .

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yep, MK64 comfirmed. I wish there were game droughts more often :)

And Mario Kart 64 is, in fact, godly.

And snaking is cool, shut up.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Snaking is to Mario Kart as Wavedashing is to Smash Bros. It's an advanced technique, so learn it and use it. :)

I liked Mario Kart 64, battle mode especially. Most of the GP tracks had crazy shortcuts that you had to use at higher levels of play. A Thunderbolt at the jump point in Wario Stadium = the lamest thing that you do to someone. ;)

Good thing it's finally coming out next week. Hooray for Nintendo.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Super Mario World is supposedly coming next monday. It's mmy favorite Mario game next to 3.

I might buy LttP because I've never played it but had heard really good things about it and almost bought the GBA version. IGN even goes so far as to say it's the only real Zelda.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Mario Kart 64 is awesome. It's the only Mario Kart that makes hitting the enemy with a shell so very pleasing, as they wildly tumble in the air, then crash land on the ground opposed to every other Mario Kart where they simply flip over. There's only 1 real unlockable, but that's all it needs to be great as it is. A lot of tracks will be familiar, like Wario Stadium, Luigi Runway, and Rainbow Road. I already have it for N64 so I won't need it, but I suggest everyone else get Mario Kart the day it comes out.

Sensai

Smash Master
Typh said:
Yep, MK64 comfirmed. I wish there were game droughts more often...
Careful what you wish for....have you seen the lack-luster list of actual Wii releases for Q1? Eeek...

Feb. 14 Wii Play with Wii Remote Nintendo
March 27 Disney's Meet the Robinsons Buena Vista
March Bust-A-Move Bash Majesco
March Prince of Persia Rival Swords Ubisoft
March TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) Ubisoft
March Bionicle Heroes Eidos
March Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWII Ubisoft
Q1 Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 EA
Q1 SSX Blur EA
Q1 The Godfather Blackhand Edition EA
Q1 Medal of Honor Vanguard EA
Q1 Sonic and the Secret Rings Sega

And I don't think Super Mario World will be coming out next Monday...as it would put MK64 and SMW all on one day. Not a chance, unless Nintendo is going to be using a lot of its aces soon.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Mario Kart 64 is the best Mario Kart game ever made (in my opinion, and I'm sure over 50% of the U.S. gaming population can agree.)

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Snaking is to Mario Kart as Wavedashing is to Smash Bros. It's an advanced technique, so learn it and use it. :)
See, that's what I thought at first. But then I realized just how utterly broken it makes the game. After all, wavedashing isn't necessary to win, but in MKDS, the entirety of the gameplay revolves around snaking. If you don't snake, you automatically lose and have zero chance of winning. Racing simply turns into a snaking contest--how consistently and how long you can snake.

I really can't think of any other fighter where not learning a single technique means an automatic loss. Sure, there are things that increase your skill and probability of winning (L-cancelling in Smash, FRC'ing in GGXX), but simple things like spacing, timing, reflexes, and mindgames are vastly more important. In MKDS, if you don't snake, then you're losing.

. . .besides, snaking makes my hand hurt. I don't want to suffer from rheumatory arthritis at the age of 21. :dizzy:

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I might buy LttP because I've never played it but had heard really good things about it and almost bought the GBA version. IGN even goes so far as to say it's the only real Zelda.
That's funny, considering they gave OoT a ten out of ten.

But, eh, whatever. As for the Virtual Console, I'm probably going to download all the Zelda games I can get my hands on. Seriously, I've developed a Zelda obsession. Those games are just so **** good.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Everyone should pick up LttP if they haven't experienced a top-down zelda before, in my opinion they're the best ones (barring Zelda 1). If you like LttP you might want to think about getting the rest of the 2d ones, especially Link's Awakening.

Zink

Smash Champion
maelstorm, I would not go so far as to say w/o wavedashing you lose at pro level. Aniki never wavedashes, Ken rarely does, and I don't do it that much (becuz I'm totally as good as them lol). But I digress.
I think IGN was being jokey when the said LttP was the only real Zelda. It had a lot of will-be staples, but missed a few things, like only one assignable button, and somewhat shortish dungeons. Whatever. Zelda still rules.
I'm looking forward to seeing which other Zeldas they put out. I predict OoT would sell like hot chocolate in Greenland.

Sensai

Smash Master
As for the Virtual Console, I'm probably going to download all the Zelda games I can get my hands on. Seriously, I've developed a Zelda obsession. Those games are just so **** good.
Quoted for truth.

...I just need some Wii points.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
That's funny, considering they gave OoT a ten out of ten.
Well, the person who said this probably wasn't the same one to rate OoT 8 years ago, hence the different opinions.

Zink, they weren't joking. Why don't you read the review to see why they said it instead of making assumptions?

Sensai

Smash Master
IGN said:
Nintendo of America today announced that it has sold more than 1.5 million Virtual Console games since its Wii console launched approximately two months ago.

The Wii Shopping Channel, which sells classic NES, S-NES, N64, TurboGrafx-16 and SEGA Genesis titles, has proved to be a major selling point for Nintendo's console. Next week, Nintendo plans to add Mario Kart 64, the second N64 game, to its Virtual Console roster.

When contacted, Microsoft representatives said that more than 20 million Xbox Live Arcade games have been purchased and downloaded since the system launched more than a year ago.
1.5 million in 2 months....good? Bad? Thoughts?

I think that 1.5 million is pretty much pure profit for Nintendo. I mean...it costs pretty much nothing to load up ROMs to the VC, right?

Once (if) they begin adding more content, well, then it might not be sheer profit. Only 90% profit then, with probably about 50% more sales. (pure speculation)

Oh well....go Nintendo.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Everybody is all raving about the old classics and how great they are. Well I have used my VC for nothing but games I have never played before ever. While some are duds, others rock my socks off. I never heard of r-type before I saw it on the VC list, I downloaded it and it's great. If I wanted to play the old Marios or Zeldas I would just whip out my NES or N64 and play them on there, instead of paying money. I don't even feel like it either, seeing as I beat those games to death in my childhood.

Stryks

Smash Hero
well lets c, if 1.5 are made in 2 months, then 1.5 times 6= thats 9 million by november (one year after release), seeing how MS made 20 million in a little more than a year, then its kinda low, but consider that there arent as many people with a Wii than there are with a 360, so seeing how Wii will still be selling units, and if they add more n64 games like smash, OoT/MM, goldeneye, and add other good games for the other consoles, I can pretty much c nintendo make 15+ illions by november...

Sensai

Smash Master
Just a little bit of news...

The Wii News Channel is live. It was supposed to be released tomorrow, but I guess Nintendo couldn't hold it in.

OoT has been confirmed for a February release date...in Japan. The catch (another one!) is that it's going to cost a whopping 1200 points. There are also a few other titles of interest on there that I can see (Galaga comes to mind), but a lot of the titles are in Japanese.

There's a Kirby game on there...
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/26/ocarina-of-time-to-hit-japanese-virtual-console-in-february/

Also...a rumor (kinda). Game Channel in the future, confirmed. But when?http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/26/wii-to-get-original-downloadable-titles-game-channel-possible/

FireBomb

Smash Lord
No room...to announce new news...ugh...

Streets of Rage is a worthy game that ought to be heading to the VC pretty soon. It may come out with MK64 on Monday, and who knows when Super Mario World will be out. Yet another pro to having Sega in our arsenal.

Zink

Smash Champion
Chill, I DID read that review. It seemed fairly obvious they were just exaggerating to get their point across.
I'd love to see some real profit numbers from Ninty, in terms of, say, average proft per Wii, factoring in games puchased with the system as well as VC games.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm looking forward to Ocarina of Time. Of course, the price of it is kind of steep, but I think it's worth it. That won't stop people from whining, of course.

I'm sure Monday will be hectic. There's probably going to be many disconnects and failed attempts with all the people downlolading Mario Kart 64...

And for those wanting to keep track, several VC games for Japan have been confirmed from the Japanese Nintendo website:

- Mighty Bomb Jack (Famicom/NES)
- Galaga (Famicom/NES)
- Hoshi no Kirby / Kirby's Adventure (Famicom/NES)
- Kamaitachi no Yoru (Super Famicom/SNES)
- Megami Tensei (Super Famicom/SNES)
- Daimakaimura / Super Ghouls N Ghosts (Super Famicom/SNES)
- Sangokushi IV (Super Famicom/SNES)
- Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64)
- Bare Knuckle / Streets of Rage (Genesis/Mega Drive)
- The Story of Thor / Beyond Oasis (Genesis/Mega Drive)
- Vectorman (Genesis/Mega Drive)
- Sword of Vermilion (Genesis/Mega Drive)
- Vigilante (PC Engine/TG-16)
- Be Ball / Chew Man Fu (PC Engine/TG-16)
- Yokai Douchuuki / Shadowland (PC Engine/TG-16)
- Wonder Momo (PC Engine/TG-16)

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Chill, I DID read that review. It seemed fairly obvious they were just exaggerating to get their point across.
I'd love to see some real profit numbers from Ninty, in terms of, say, average proft per Wii, factoring in games puchased with the system as well as VC games.
I have nothing to say except I disagree. Not that I agree with what they said as I haven't played the game. I just didn't see anything that would make me consider the review a joke or exaggeration.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
See, that's what I thought at first. But then I realized just how utterly broken it makes the game. After all, wavedashing isn't necessary to win, but in MKDS, the entirety of the gameplay revolves around snaking. If you don't snake, you automatically lose and have zero chance of winning. Racing simply turns into a snaking contest--how consistently and how long you can snake.

I really can't think of any other fighter where not learning a single technique means an automatic loss. Sure, there are things that increase your skill and probability of winning (L-cancelling in Smash, FRC'ing in GGXX), but simple things like spacing, timing, reflexes, and mindgames are vastly more important. In MKDS, if you don't snake, then you're losing.

. . .besides, snaking makes my hand hurt. I don't want to suffer from rheumatory arthritis at the age of 21. :dizzy:
I'm going to have to dissagree with you about snaking. If you take snaking out of Mario Kart there's nothing left. It becomes a shallow game in which you move in a straight line and turn corners sharply. There is nothing competitive or enjoyable about it.

Snaking is part of the natural evolution of the gameplay. Everyone I know who has played Mario Kart for more than just a couple of hours has started snaking without realizing what it really was.

I really cant see the difference between snaking and not snaking except it makes the game more challenging, and most imprtantly more fun.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
I'm going to have to dissagree with you about snaking. If you take snaking out of Mario Kart there's nothing left. It becomes a shallow game in which you move in a straight line and turn corners sharply. There is nothing competitive or enjoyable about it.

Snaking is part of the natural evolution of the gameplay. Everyone I know who has played Mario Kart for more than just a couple of hours has started snaking without realizing what it really was.

I really cant see the difference between snaking and not snaking except it makes the game more challenging, and most imprtantly more fun.
If you take snaking out of Mario Kart, there's nothing left? I suppose that means correct item usage, turbo-boosting around corners, drafting (going directly behind an opponent to get a speed boost), and correct kart/character choice have NO bearing on MKDS. Whatsoever.

And my sarcasm aside, the sad thing is that you're partially right. Once you throw in snaking into the mix, all the above factors really don't matter that much (except for the fact that you can only snake decently with 1 or 2 karts, but whatever). And therein lies the problem: whenever you have one, sole technique that completely dominates the game, the game becomes unbalanced and broken.

In MKDS, you spam snaking because it gives you such a huge advantage. If you don't snake, you lose. Period. Apply that to Smash--imagine that throws were so powerful, that jabs, tilting, smashing, B-moves. . .they all did nothing, compared to the Godliness of throws. And because throws are so godly, people would begin to completely ignore everything else, because throws basically give you an insta-win. So every match would revolve around throwing. That's it. Whoever throws, wins.

That sound fun to you? No, because that kind of game is fundamentally unbalanced, and broken. Same with MKDS.

bball2012

BRoomer
BRoomer
Downloaded Super Mario Bros. and Link to the Past tonight. Skeet! Looks like VC is going to start picking up in a big way. I'll probably get something else that I've never played before, maybe Castlevania or R-Type III. Any suggestions?

FireBomb

Smash Lord
If you like platforming games like Sonic, you should also go for Ristar.
Gunstar Heroes is like Metal Slug, and even more fun with a friend.
If you want some fighting, you could go for Street Fighter II!
Bomberman '93 has cool/challenging single player and crazy multiplayer with up to 5 people.
Castlevania games are supposedly ALL good (not the 3D crappy console ones). I'll probably pick that soon enough...

A couple good games that will be coming soon are Streets of Rage and Super Mario World. They are both FireBomb recommended. :chuckle: Those are only some of the better ones for now...

I agree with maelstrom, the fun that is Mario Kart has been seeping away and becoming a different game altogether. That's why I love the old Mario Kart 64. This wonderous game also has these little trinkets called items, so I don't know how the game could really only be boring straight lines and sharp turns. :dizzy:

Skywalker

Space Jump
If you like platforming games like Sonic, you should also go for Ristar.
Ristar is an interesting game that isn't really like Sonic at all. If anything, it reminds me of Rayman, with colorful visuals and catchy music. I also recommend it.

I'll download LttP once I finally get a Wii.

Sensai

Smash Master
bball, get Gunstar Heroes. It's really really good.

Or, if you're feeling more 'old-school-hack-n-slash', you could pick up the cheaper Dungeon Explorer. It's like a better looking Gauntlet...that's really ****in' hard.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Has anyone downloaded sonic the hedgehog?, I dont have wii poimts, just wanna know if its good, havent played it in years, so I cant remember, also whats gunstar heroes about??...

Zink

Smash Champion
I got Gunstar Super Heroes for GBA a while back, and it was nice, although somewhat short.
Did anyone else get Street Fighter? The single player mode is rediculously hard- the fourth difficulty level out of seven took me three hours and 166 battles to beat, and most of that was on the final 3 bosses. It can be quite jarring- you go through the game without losing a bout, then you start getting perfected several times in a row by the bosses. Decent game anyway.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Yeah the single p;ayer is incredibly hard, or just plain hard if u have experience, took 66 battles to get to bison and beat him, I just spam hadouken a lot, and when theyre vulnerable, I do the spinning kick... man I wish I dint spend wii points on donkey kong, 3 lvls wtf?, was it always 3 lvls in the arcade game??...

FireBomb

Smash Lord
As for Sonic the Hedgehog, if you somehow don't own it from the 20-something times it's been re-released, then I suggest you get this one. In a sense it's like Super Mario Bros., a platformer you'll want to play over and over till you beat it, but with a much faster pace. So GET IT, it's classic.

fleapy

Smash Journeyman
Nitendo makes 51 dollars profit per wii.

Zink

Smash Champion
Yes, but then add in averge game and VC purchases. It might turn out that with games and VC the actual profit is more like $130 per console. Say everyone bought a game *coughzeldacough*, a couple extra controllers, and one or two VC games.
Stryks, what difficulty level were you playing on? I was on level 4, and most of the time a hadoken would not land, or I would get attacked out of the animation. I couldn't even do cheap tricks like spamming a low weak kick that worked on early levels because the comps could block and time a perfect counterattack.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I dont know I just started playing without checking difficulty, so meh, but it was hard, I rarely connected the hadouken, still I defeated Bison so im happy...

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Wow, what a terrible time for my Wiimote to **** me over. A mad good VC game comes out... and I can't get it because my Wiimote has decided not to sync with my Wii system (tried all of nintendos tips). ****ing gay... especially since it's impossible to find a new Wiimote.

Has anyone tried any of the other games... how are they?

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm not so sure that MK 64 is worth my 10 dollars...someone wanna try to convince me that it beats out a LttP?

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
If you've don't own MK64 already, I highly reccomend it. I have very fond memories of the game, and the multiplayer is more than decent in both racing and battle. I can spend hours trying to beat old time trial times, and you can unlock extra mode; where everything is mirrored. Shortcuts are good, and to me it is by far better than mkdd and the ds version, because although you can still powerslide, snaking is impossible, and still a blast. As for LttP, I can't really say, as I have yet to download it, but I personally think mk64 is much more important for the VC collection than LttP.

Anybody download Contra? I think I'm gonna get in, as I played the first one for NES, but I would like some comments first.

My current VC collection includes:

Dungeon Explorers
MK64
Bomberman
Sonic
Echo the Dolphin
Super Mario Bros.
Gunstar Heroes
Golden Axe
Street Fighter 2
Any other great ones you guys reccomend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom