• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Wii Virtual Console Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majora Zach

Smash Cadet
The only game on my virtual console that I actually own is Super Mario Bros. Although I first owned the original GBC version, I didn't think it would hurt to own the original version, I play it occasionally.

My four other games are Wario's Woods, The Legend of Zelda, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Super Mario World. Quite a few of the Nintendo games up there I already own, I hope they put up some more variety soon.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Hmm... my Virtual Console library so far is Bomberman '93, Super Mario Bros., Space Harrier 2, F-Zero, and Super Mario World. The only one I ever really owned was SMW, but that was a long time ago. I know I'm going to be tempted to buy a game I already own for the VC one day or another, like Paper Mario for instance. I appriciate Mario RPG games to much...

Stryks

Smash Hero
I only have super mario bors. donkey kong (wish I never bought the 3 lvl game) and street fighter 2, I play SMB every now and then, and play SF2 against saber everytime I go to his house or something, I wanna wait til Kid Icarus, super mario bros 3 and smash bros. are released in the VC, and Ill buy them, tough need more wii points...

Sensai

Smash Master
The only games I own right now are games I've never had....but, those games I mentioned earlier are, IMO, classics. They're worth playing again, especially games as deep as SMW (which I used shortcuts to beat as a kid).

Cashed said:
Nintendo, plz let indie developers release really low budget titles over the Wii Shop Channel. I love Assault Heroes, Heavy Weapon, Geometry Wars, Zuma, etc. on my 360. I'd like some original love on the Wii, too.
I think I posted a link to an article about this a while ago, but Nintendo has plans to let this happen. When, though, is unknown. But I'm with you; I want this too.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
****, I want to buy a classic controller now. I don't even NEED it. Screw marketing.

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
Use a credit card or a wii points card to obtain points.
You can only buy quantities of 1000s with a credit card(1000 to 5000).
In my library of VC games, I have super mario 64, super mario brothers, and super mario world{the only thing I'm missing is super mario sunshine(GCN) and super mario galaxy(wii)}*first game on each system with mario*
I want to get a kirby game really really badly:(.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
What I really want is a Bomberman game on the N64 badly. I played them, but only rented... now I feel like I really should have bought them. I swear, when I get my hands on any of those three for the N64, I'll make sure you guys know EVERYTHING. *twitch*

Nintendo is sure doing a good job playing with our nostalgic feelings. Dunno about the rest of you, that's just the case with me, at least.

Majora Zach

Smash Cadet
I remember getting Bomberman Hero and Bomberman 64 for my Nintendo 64. I never really played the adventure mode on Bomberman 64 but it was a great multiplayer game. The only thing I did in Bomberman Hero was play the adventure (since that was the only thing you could do, I think) and I still have many memories of it to this day.

Although if they come out on the virtual console, I doubt I'll get em.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I never did play Bomberman 64: The Second Attack! which is supposedly the best one. I'm going to watch that Shop like a hawk until then, tho I do know it won't come anytime soon.

My desire to play some of these games is rather... maniacal...

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
I only have Toejam and Earl, nothing else has really caught my attention, but I didn't know it had Super Mario World as well now... so I might pick that up.

Sensai

Smash Master
FireBomb said:
I never did play Bomberman 64: The Second Attack! which is supposedly the best one.
I actually own that cartridge, but wanted the first one (which I really really liked 'cause you could customize it). It's still good, though.

And as for games released today: W00t.

Picked up Kid Icarus, may pick up Ice Climbers as well (I already own the Kirby game, beat it X amount of times; it's great, if you've never played it). I've played an hour and a half of Kid Icarus, and haven't even beat level 3 yet. That game is freakin' hard.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Does anyone know when DKC comes out in the US? 'Cause it's really hard for me to resist getting that little cute puff-ball with my 1200 points!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I think it's been stated that it will come out during the first quarter of 2007. There are only six more Mondays left before the first quarter is over, so yeah. :ohwell:

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Kid Icarus was too hard for my friend when I went over today. Still, even tho I didn't actually play it, it looks pretty fun and challenging. There was a group of us watching his first play thru and he couldn't make it past that grim reaper. It hella freaked us out when he hit it because it goes all paranoid and attacks you wildly. Man I need to get that... I only had 500 left so it was a tough choice, but I got Kirby.

Zink

Smash Champion
Is Kirby's Adventure that same Kirby game they've been rereleasing since the NES game? The one with the wheel and crash powers, and the gun duel minigame? I played that game so much, it was like the first game I ever beat. The minigames rule.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Kirby's Adventure for the NES instantly remined me on Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, mostly because of that little menu on the bottom. Pretty much every Kirby game is the same one released with new levels and powers, except the ones like Tilt n' Tumble, Canvas Curse, and Air Ride.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, I know what you're talking about now. This is the same Kirby game with the wheel the crash and the western duel gun minigame. It's pretty cool, but I've yet to see a Bomb ability. :(

Sensai

Smash Master
FireBomb, it's in there. I'm pretty sure you can only get it like...two times though.

And I haven't played Kid Icarus again. It's got me scared away.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Anyone know Monday's releases, 'cause I got the day off!

Hopefully something good, no matter how much I don't think it'll happen after last week

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
I got the day off too 8).

that smiley better work.

...anyway. Like everyone else has said price needs to go down some. I have bought a couple of games that I already own, and it's kinda rediculous. I wish you could register a product...but then there'd be too many people buying a game for 5 cents. Oh well.

So far I have Donkey Kong (should not have bought it), Super Mario (yay-ish), Legend of Zelda (good), Kirby (amazing fun), Super Mario World (best game eva'), and lastly: Sonic the Hedgehog (pretty fun). Sad thing is, I'm so into ssbm that I don't play these that often...*sigh*

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
i know what you mean, I am so engrossed in warioware smooth moves, I barely play my VC games. Also I bought kirby, although now I have a sudden urge to play ice climber, but I only have 200 points left. Thank goodness for Chinese New Year!!! Gong Hay Fat Choy! I'm gonna get money in red envelopes!

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Kid Icarus was just released! Yes!

The NES classic is one of my favorites. I love virtual Console games because you don't have to experience all the hassle of putting in the disc and memory cards; you can just press 'start' and enjoy.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
I wanna know why everyone loves old-school NES games so much. Is it the nostalgia? I downloaded Super Mario Bros. and Kid Icarus and am not very happy with them; Super Mario Bros. is alright, but I never play it, and I just feel that Kid Icarus was a total waste of money. I really don't see why everyone loves retro games so much.

I REALLY want EarthBound and Kirby Superstar for Virtual Console. They're some of my favorite games, but I have never owned a SNES, so I never really got to play them much.

Sensai

Smash Master
GotACoolName said:
I wanna know why everyone loves old-school NES games so much. Is it the nostalgia? I downloaded Super Mario Bros. and Kid Icarus and am not very happy with them; Super Mario Bros. is alright, but I never play it, and I just feel that Kid Icarus was a total waste of money. I really don't see why everyone loves retro games so much.

I REALLY want EarthBound and Kirby Superstar for Virtual Console. They're some of my favorite games, but I have never owned a SNES, so I never really got to play them much.
A reason I like NES games is because (and this is going to sound like such a Nintendo fanboy, I'm sure) back then, games were about quality, and not graphics. You have the original Zelda, a revolutionary title that has endless playtime (seriously...you can complete it 100 times and never have played it the same way) and a mythical feel.

The games present challenge. Look at Kid Icarus: how far are you in the game? I've played 3 hours, and haven't beaten level 4. This might be because I'm just not a good video game player (I don't think this is true...), but either way: it's kept me entertained and kept me wanting to complete it. For me (and according to polls, for many), gaming is not only about fun, but about feeling like you've accomplished something. When I (if I) beat Kid Icarus, I'm going to feel great.

The final reason I'm going to list is the same with my taste in music. I enjoy being there at the beginning. The NES wasn't the first gaming system, but it was the first to have Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc. I like feeling myself stepping onto the first step of the ladder, y'know? I know that this rung led to LttP, which lead to OoT, etc. I like knowing, feeling, and playing the history of these franchises I've come to love.

/done

Earthbound I'm unsure of, but Kirby Superstar has been confirmed for VC release. When, however, is a mystery. I own that game, also, but that game is SO immense, I'll be downloading it again. I suggest you all do the same.

(Seriously...if you're thinking about not buying it, I will freakin' mail you 8 bucks to play it.)

Oh, and news!

Excite Bike was released in Europe this week. EXCITE BIKE! I never owned it, ANYWHERE. I'm going to snatch that thing up faster then...well....err, any of you guys will!

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Sensai, you just lost eight dolla's!

I'unno, I will if I can find another points card by then (New GS opened like a mile out of town and not many people know about it)

Pit 42

Smash Lord
I agree, Sensai. Some of my favorite games ever are NES games. I'm glad that now, Nintendo is kind of getting back to basics and releasing Wii games that are almost like old NES games (Excite Truck, and in the upcoming Mario Galaxy, when you press start on the main menu the game automatically starts with no cutscenes in between, so it is like the old NES games).

And I sure hope they do release EarthBound here, soon.

Deathreaver780

Smash Ace
Yeah even thought Ive never played earthbound I wanna so bad, dont know why it just sounds cool. Well ive seen points cards at wal-mart and im gonna buy one soon, it was like a 1,000 points card. Dont remember. But, im gonna get one soon and get some old NES games or whatever.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
I have to go out on a limb here and say that I just can't relate to Sensai at all. :laugh:

I'm 21; my first game system was a Cube. I never had the chance to play those NES classic games--although I saw my friends play them back in the day. So there's absolutely no sense of nostalgia affecting my perception. And let me tell you, when I go back and try playing those games like Mario and Zelda and Metroid NES, I'm not impressed.

They feel so stilted and difficult to control, the difficulty level is unreasonably high, and the save systems are nonexistent or unwieldy. In short, I just don't enjoy them the way that everyone else does--again, probably because I was never really exposed to these games during my childhood.

Although, to be fair, NES music does have its charming qualitites. I absolutely love those old midi-music style things, like the NES Mario theme and music from Link's Awakening.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Well our parents played Super Mario Bros. as teenagers, and our kids will look at those games and feel like they belong in the museum. I had only a handful of SNES games, and never got my hands on an NES at all, so I'm thankful to the VC and Nintendo. Looking at the classics, you see where everything began, right from square 1, and see all the similarities that still exist today.

Memories are timeless. :) Just like Mario.

Zink

Smash Champion
I think I agree with maelstorm. I didn't play many games in my youth, and when I look back and play old games again, I find them annoyingly difficult. Seriously, why play LoZ when you can barely go 3 screens without being swarmed by mindlessly spamming Octorocks and killed? It's just irritatingly difficult.
Nostalgia is overpowered lol.

Stryks

Smash Hero

I had a lot of fun memories playing videogames when I was a kid, I would play with my friends, by myself and sometimes I would play Contra with my mom (she actually knew the cheat code for infinite lives XD), and back then, every game rocked, U hardly ever found a game that sucked back then, right now most of the games are about graphics graphics graphics, and spend less time on the game play itself, take for instance sonic the hedgehog on the 360/ps3, and the gundam game for ps3, impressive graphics, but lack in gameplay, thats why Im obssesd with old school games, cause they all rocked, they were all fun, and they remind me of the good old days when I was a kid XD...

Sensai

Smash Master
Maelstrom...you missed out on a lot of good games.

A lot of the games on the NES (and I'm looking at you, Abadox) are incredibly difficult. Then there are a lot of games that are absurdly easy (Megaman II). The NES was, for all purposes, the first stride into modern video games and was thus completely new terrain. That's why some games are hard and others are easy.

The SNES represents a refined NES, and is why many people call it the best system ever (myself included).

And Maelstrom, Zink, I guess I just like harder games. If I'm going to pay however much money it costs, I don't want to be able to walk right through it; I'd rather have to spend a while trying to figure everything out (unless it's Abadox. That game is a beast).

And update on my Kid Icarus status: I'm now on level 9 (3-1, for those who have it), and have only added an extra 2 hours since earlier. It's gotten much easier, but still remains somewhat difficult.

BTW, I'm only 18. My parents played Ms. Pac Man every day until I was five, when I began to discover classics such as the original Kirby, LoZ, LoZ II, Mario, Dunk Hunt, etc.

Then I got a SNES. The game 'Illusion of Gaia,' developed by Enix, was the reason I learned to read, and was the first story-based RPG I've ever played. The music still gives me chill bumps. So, nostalgia does play a huge part in some purchases (as I'd pay Gaia 25 times if it released), but there are other games I want just because I've never played them and heard they were good (Gunstar, Kid Icarus).

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Nostalgia is what led me to buy Super Mario World, and although you'd want to buy the game anyways since it's awesome, I have feelings for it that other people DON'T UNDERSTAND. We're probably crazy but I like the challenges they have to offer. We all have our own definition of what we call a "fun" game.

Kirby's Adventure for example isn't too difficult, but it's fun to play over again and enjoy all it has to offer, while Super Mario Bros. is harder to beat. Haven't played it much, but if I ever do, I know I'll get an urge to beat it again. And I really wanna play Kid Icarus and see how well I fare. Stupid point cards...

(*Wants to play Abadox*)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom