• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Wii Virtual Console Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Eh, I already have two versions of OoT, so I'm not too excited for that...

However, they need to hurry up and put Kirby Super Star (an amazing game) and Kirby's Dreamland 3 (which, while I've never played it, looks like it has some of the best graphics ever on top of Kirby's general awesomeness) since Kirby's Adventure makes me yearn for more Kirby greatness that which Kirby Squeak Squad didn't satisfy the urge for.

Also, we need more Square support...Chrono Trigger (that's fast enough to do it justice) and SMRPG definately need to be put on there. Amongst other things.

Sensai

Smash Master

Devastlian

Smash Lord
I'll take it. Just something from them...I'm more interested in Soul Blazer or E.V.O. from the Enix side but I just wanted to know they were supporting it.

Ya know, I never even knew there was a Neo Geo console until maybe a couple years ago; even less for the MSX. They do seem to have some interesting games, though, such as a few Konami, Square, Enix, and HAL games and probably a few other gems.

The VC seems off to a nice start. (On a side note...ten years later...I finally beat Kirby's Adventure :/)

Also, another game was confirmed just now...http://gonintendo.com/?p=13687
Nintendo Press Release said:
Every form of entertainment has its artistic pinnacles. On Monday, Nintendo will make The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time available for download in the Wii Shop Channel of the hot new Wii video game system. Originally released in November 1998 for the Nintendo 64 console, the game is widely considered by critics and industry observers to be one of the greatest video games of all time.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time inspired millions of players around the world with its in-depth game play, rich 3-D visuals and memorable adventures. It set the standard by which all other games have been judged. And now it�s available once again, both for veteran gamers to relive their gaming glory days and for younger players to discover it for the first time.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time will be available for 1,000 Wii Points when it goes live at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Feb. 26. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. The Wii Shop Channel now boasts more than 55 downloadable classic games, in addition to the dozens of new disc-based games available for Wii.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
ShWEET
~~~~~
I never played OoT, I'm looking forward to it.

Sensai

Smash Master
****, I was racing to tell you guys the news.

Yep, it's official: OoT for the VC, come Monday, no extra charge.

Now if only we got Excite Bike with that, I'd **** my pants.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Some people were thinking it would be more than the 1000 wii points for N64 games, as Nintendo knows people will buy this no matter what the cost. That's what Sensai was refering to.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

Signed. I could never get into that peice of crud on the 64 (flame sheild) due to it's terrible save system. Now, with save states, I'll probably be able to do just fine with it.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
This might have been cool if OoT hadn't already been released 5 times.
QFMFT.

I have 2 versions for the 'Cube + Master Quest, the N64 gold cart and the N64 regular cart. I have no idea why I have 2 for n64.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
I played OoT until I got sick--about 3-4 times. To this day, I still remember all the heart piece locations, and all the other sidequest solutions. If I play that again, it's going to be a chore instead of a pleasurable pastime. :/

And I have to agree with Sensai, the save system for MM was just awful. I felt so much unnecessary pressure to complete that game, just because I couldn't play for extended periods of time, or else the 3-day cycle would reset. Outside of Minish Cap, MM was one of the most irritating Zeldas ever, IMO. It was too sidequest dependent, too. Although I did love the epic scope of it.

Next up: Super Metroid. And Super Mario Brothers 2. And Chrono Trigger. We need some Gameboy games on there too. . .imagine the top-tier gaming goodness of Super Mario Land and Link's Awakening DX on your TV.

Sensai

Smash Master
Jeah. I'm wondering why they haven't done anything with GB/GBC games yet...it just makes sense that they would throw those on there also. No reason not to, really.

And I wanna see Paper Mario. :-/ And pretty much anything SquareEnix, but particularly Enix's side. Seriously...Square steals all the credit, but the only Enix game I've ever played is my favorite game.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
After beating Paper Mario oh, 25 times or so, I'd probably just take out the N64 to play it if I ever get an urge to (which I do at the weirdest times). Finally I can tell others what I think about that game... just gotta wait a little longer.

I'm gonna laugh when I suspend my data during the first 30 minutes while I'm still a Deku. Yes. saving difficulties are nothing before the Wii.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
MM was near perfection. It was very easy to complete the dungeons and side quest in the time alloted. You guys are crazy.

I'm still keeping my oath not to buy any VC games until MM is re-released. I probably wont play or buy it, but still...

Sensai

Smash Master
No no, Common. You misunderstand us, or at least, me. I'm not saying it was difficult to do it in the time allotted, I just hated having to go to those owl things all the time.

Sidius

Smash Journeyman
i have never played a single LoZ game other than LoZ TP for the wii so i really don't care much for OoT...the one i really want is SSB on the VC anyone wanna guess when it comes out?

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
What I want to know is if they've improved the framerate to a steady 30 fps. If so, I might buy it, but...

Chill

Red
BRoomer
It isn't official? I'm just going to leave that one alone.

Pit, Mario 64 did have cleaned up graphics but I don't know of any others that did.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Anyone know if Nintendo is even TRYING to improve the graphics for VC games like they said they would?
A comparison was actually done with Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros comparison

Four different versions were plugged up to an HDTV, and all the connections were composite except for the VC which was component. Guess which one looks better? It can be attributed to the component cables, but you've got to admit that there is a big difference.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
A comparison was actually done with Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros comparison

Four different versions were plugged up to an HDTV, and all the connections were composite except for the VC which was component. Guess which one looks better? It can be attributed to the component cables, but you've got to admit that there is a big difference.
I'm impressed! Thank you for posting that. :)

Sensai

Smash Master
Bump (hope I don't get in trouble for it, but it needs it).

Today we got a few more games released on the VC, most notably Ocarina of Time.

Nintendo said:
The Legend of Zelda®: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64®, 1 player, 1,000 Wii Points): The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time reveals the genesis of the fantasy land of Hyrule, the origin of the Triforce and the tale of the first exploits of Princess Zelda™ and the heroic adventurer Link. Vibrant, real-time 3-D graphics transport players into the fantasy world of Hyrule. The quest takes them through dense forests and across wind-whipped deserts. Players swim raging rivers, climb treacherous mountains, dash on horseback across rolling hills and delve into dungeons full of creatures that fight to the finish to put an end to their adventures. With immersive graphics, a sweeping story line, swashbuckling adventure, mind-bending puzzles and a touch of humor, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is one of Nintendo's most epic challenges ever.

Bio-Hazard Battle™ (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points): An army of biogenetic mutants has gone haywire, terrorizing the world and putting the future of the planet in jeopardy. In Bio-Hazard Battle, players must take on the mutant menace and restore order and harmony to the planet Avaron before it's too late. Through eight levels of intense action, they'll be up against some of the nastiest, most vile creatures they've ever seen, including things like mega amoebas, nuclear crabs, electroworms and gut-grabbing insects. They have four different Bioship fightercraft to choose from, each with unique handling capabilities and weapons systems. Hop into a fightercraft and save Avaron from certain doom in Bio-Hazard Battle.

Chew Man Fu (TurboGrafx16, 1-2 players, 600 Wii Points): A novel action-puzzle game set in the sacred towers taken over by the evil sorcerer, Chew Man Fu. It's up to an apprentice female monk to free the towers and lift Chew's curse to bring peace and fried rice back to the land once ruled by the Egg Roll Dynasty. The rules are simple. The objective is to clear each round by pushing or pulling four colored orbs onto their matching colored tiles. Beware the sorcerer's minions in the tower who stand in the way. Players kick the orbs to take enemies out or to break down walls. They must overcome the obstacles and place the orbs on their respective tiles. Chew Man Fu also features the two-player Kick Ball minigame, as well as an Edit Mode for creating unique stages. The fun is endless.
Also, two more games have been given semi-nonvague release dates.

Joystiq said:
According to Hudson's Virtual Console list, next month will bring rise to Splatterhouse and Double Dungeons on the Nintendo Wii.
There ya go. Now, I'm going to go through and play OoT. The bump up to 60 FPS makes a huge difference for the game....

[Edit:]

I also beat Kid Icarus. What a beast of a game....good one, too. Worth every penny.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
There ya go. Now, I'm going to go through and play OoT. The bump up to 60 FPS makes a huge difference for the game....
Whoa, whoa, whoa. . .OoT was bumped up to 60 FPS? Was this announced anywhere, or are you just saying the framerate is smoother in general? Because 60 FPS is a MASSIVE jump compared to the Gamecube emulation of OoT. The GC version of OoT actually had noticeable chugginess that made my eyes hurt; probably less than 30 FPS.

If it's definitely 60 FPS, I'm buying OoT right now.

JFox

Smash Hero
You think that when they release SSB64, people will ever compete via Wii? I doubt it will happen right away because people like isai would be very unhappy. But I seriously look forward to playin SSB64 on the gamecube remotes.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
kid icarus = ridiculously hard

cant wait till they get some metroids up there...

how bout some GB / GBC / GBA... thats what i would like to see
kid icarus = ridiculously hard = ridiculously fun

I don't know why Nintendo made an incentive to release TurboGraphix games for the VC rather than their own, better GB and GBC games. That way, fans could've experienced the complete Metroid series on one system.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Adding in GBA games is pretty much out of the question, since GBA cartridges are still compatible with the DS. The issue is mostly original GB + GBC games, both of which are incompatible with the DS. Finding old GB/GBC cartridges and an SP to play them on is just a hassle.

But yeah, we definitely need those GB/GBC games. I'm talking about classic Tetris (with the Russian theme!), Super Mario Land, Link's Awakening DX, Double Dragon, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. . .those were good, good games.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Well, OoT is just like how I remember it. This classic controller actually works with it, too. I just beat the first dungeon without thinking. Hopefully I'll be able to do the Water Temple the same way (I doubt it. My old guide should get me through it, though.)

On a side note, I suck at Street Fighter, and the words "Yoga Fire" get annoying fast.

I want Super Mario RPG
Stupid Intellitext ruining my spoiler tags!

Falco_Phoenix

Smash Cadet
Look up virtual console on wikipedia. It has a list of games that are confirmed for the virtual console. I can't wait for Kirby Superstar and Super Mario RPG.

I wish we would get some Fire Emblem games here in the U.S. I want to play Geneaology of the Holy War. I also think it would be cool if they had dreamcast games, I've always wanted to play the original Soul Calibur. Not to mention they could finally have PSO for free!

Sensai

Smash Master
Dogga, I did the same. So did my friend who came and played it RIGHT after me. Haha.

And the 60 FPS was something said friend said, and I took as true. I may be wrong, but it's certainly CERTAINLY smoother then before.

JFox, when the release 64 online, it'd better be online. But, if it isn't, then yes. I believe it will be played on Wii.

maelstrom128 said:
Adding in GBA games is pretty much out of the question, since GBA cartridges are still compatible with the DS. The issue is mostly original GB + GBC games, both of which are incompatible with the DS. Finding old GB/GBC cartridges and an SP to play them on is just a hassle.
/agreed

I was wondering this the other day. Surely it's just around the corner, right? Maybe not literally around the corner, but within a year or two...

Falco_Phoenix said:
I wish we would get some Fire Emblem games here in the U.S. I want to play Geneaology of the Holy War. I also think it would be cool if they had dreamcast games, I've always wanted to play the original Soul Calibur. Not to mention they could finally have PSO for free!
Don't count on DC games, as it'd take a lot of space and bandwith up. On your other thought, though, two people high in the Nintendo chain-o'-command have recently said that the VC is the perfect place to experience classics never before seen in that region.

Can you believe Europe never got Chrono Trigger? God **** it sucks for them.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Oh, really?! Wow! I actually have something to look forward to every Monday!

Also, FYI, so far, I have downloaded Kid Icarus, Ice Climber, The Legend of Zelda, and Super Mario Bros.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
I agree, Kid Icarus is so dammed hard... But it's dammed fun. Walking from the right side of the screen to the left side :p.

Wow, can you play Ice Climbers :o? I wanna have that! But I already spended all of my Wii points...

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I agree, Kid Icarus is so dammed hard... But it's dammed fun. Walking from the right side of the screen to the left side :p.

Wow, can you play Ice Climbers :o? I wanna have that! But I already spended all of my Wii points...
It's hard alright, yet I'm compelled to play it more!

Oh, and if you think Kid Icarus is hard, Ice Climbers is just as nearly impossible! Jumping is hard to control in that game, so reaching to top of the mountain really is an accomplishment!

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

Is that game worth downloading? I've played it for about 30 seconds before, but didn't really enjoy it all that much. Is it worth spending 5 bucks on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom