• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Wii Virtual Console Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
I totally agree with maelstrom on this one, in both difficulty and nostalgia factors. But I'm 14 and was simply too young to get into the NES/SNES generations.

I would think nostalgia is by far the dominant factor in modern enjoyment of retro NES games. SNES games, however, I can relate to. They looked good, they had amazing gameplay, and the stories were actually involved in the games. Heck, I don't even know where people find the storyline for NES games. They're never explained in-game, so I'd have no idea what an NES game was about if I weren't to look it up.

I actually only played EarthBound once before (one to two years ago, probably, at a friends house), and I didn't even enjoy it because I hated how you couldn't even see your characters in battle. But now I've seen videos of EarthBound on YouTube, and the gameplay does look exciting. I've also developed a nostalgic feel for the game, even though I wasn't part of the SNES generation; the Onett (from SSBM) stage's massively fun and beautiful design along with the Godly music actually made me develop a love for EarthBound, since the level made the game seem so amazingly beautiful. Then I picked up Ness as one of my main characters, and I'm now longing to play EarthBound again.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
I have to go out on a limb here and say that I just can't relate to Sensai at all. :laugh:

I'm 21; my first game system was a Cube. I never had the chance to play those NES classic games--although I saw my friends play them back in the day. So there's absolutely no sense of nostalgia affecting my perception. And let me tell you, when I go back and try playing those games like Mario and Zelda and Metroid NES, I'm not impressed.

They feel so stilted and difficult to control, the difficulty level is unreasonably high, and the save systems are nonexistent or unwieldy. In short, I just don't enjoy them the way that everyone else does--again, probably because I was never really exposed to these games during my childhood.

Although, to be fair, NES music does have its charming qualitites. I absolutely love those old midi-music style things, like the NES Mario theme and music from Link's Awakening.
My first system was a cube also, so I never experienced the classics, but still enjoy them in ports (GBA Classic NES series, etc.). The thing is, although the difficulty level is high, I still enjoy playing the games because they are so much fun even 20+ years after their release. Sure, saving your game is a big problem, but that's what keeps you coming back to the game: so you can get farther and farther each time you play. And I never saw anything wrong with the controls...

Sensai

Smash Master
GotACoolName said:
Heck, I don't even know where people find the storyline for NES games. They're never explained in-game, so I'd have no idea what an NES game was about if I weren't to look it up.
They don't, as there's absolutely no story in any of them at all...

I mean, you can kinda make a case for their being one, but no one ever says anything to you about it. Most of what people know is coming from the instruction manual.

And I haven't played Earthbound very much, either, and will be picking that game up when (if) it comes out on the VC. The only thing I really remember about it is that it mentions the Beatles, haha.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
And I never saw anything wrong with the controls...
I think what he meant was that making even the slightest mistake with the controls could get you killed. In Super Mario Bros., for example, you'll die at the hands of the second Goomba if you don't have enough running velocity to stomp on two of them consecutively.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Well, OK, yes so the old NES games relied a bit more on skill than control. But that was the fun of it: Building skill in the game, and once you beat the game, it was all that more rewarding.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Kid Icarus is impossible. Has anyone beaten it? If you get hit 4 times it translates to death (excluding the one health plus you get per level). Also, if you fall, you die... the creators of this game were seriously laughing when they made this game. Probably thinking, hey, let's make a game noone can beat and everyone will play it but never beat it. It will scar everyone for life, freaking awesome.

I recommend not buying Kid Icarus especially if you have anger issues. It took me like half an hour just to get past the first level.

Sensai

Smash Master
Spawn, I'm halfway through it and can probably beat it from where I am now. Once you beat the fourth level (which took me a LONG time to do), the game gets much easier.

It has its own little level up system...I dunno how it works exactly, but the more 'score' you get, the better off you are. Anyways, on the 4th level (1-4, the Castle place), I spent a good hour in there just getting hearts and trying to figure out WHAT THE HELL I was supposed to do.

I finally beat it, and my score more then triples, and now, where as you have 1 health bar thing, I have 4.

It gets a lot easier, but no, I haven't beaten it.

And there's a way to not die if you fall...it just takes a little bit of money. And those **** THIEVES still **** from you, and you have to buy it back. God, it's so annoying.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
*if only I had 100 more wii points*

Actually, while I am it, I would much rather 4000 more wii points...

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
I just got ice climber today and nobody told me it was so hard! It is like there is barely any jump control.
In super mario 64, I am getting power stars like crazy!!!
In super mario bros., I am getting closer and closer to bowser everytime I play but I always die on 8-2.
In super mario world, I just beat morton jr. and starting the vanilla dome.
In kirby's adventure, I am still on ice cream island. The lack of a hat kind of makes the game loses it appeal.

Man! I think I had most of these games when I was 5 (and a n00b) but I never wanted to play them because of the scary lava factor. Thank goodness for the virtual console! I finally can get to play these games and actually understand their plots and gameplay!

Skywalker

Space Jump
Nightmare in Dreamland is a remake of Kirby's Adventure. I'd be amazed if someone else had the original cartridge of Adventure.

Sensai

Smash Master
Jigglyppuff, when you beat Ice Climber, come back to this thread and tell me if it's worth the 5 bucks or not. I've been thinking about getting it, but I just can't commit myself to buying a game that is based on jumping upwards....

But it's hard? That's good. :-D

[Edit:]

And I have the original cartridge.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Spawn, I'm halfway through it and can probably beat it from where I am now. Once you beat the fourth level (which took me a LONG time to do), the game gets much easier.

It has its own little level up system...I dunno how it works exactly, but the more 'score' you get, the better off you are. Anyways, on the 4th level (1-4, the Castle place), I spent a good hour in there just getting hearts and trying to figure out WHAT THE HELL I was supposed to do.

I finally beat it, and my score more then triples, and now, where as you have 1 health bar thing, I have 4.

It gets a lot easier, but no, I haven't beaten it.

And there's a way to not die if you fall...it just takes a little bit of money. And those **** THIEVES still **** from you, and you have to buy it back. God, it's so annoying.
That's good to know. I'm really glad it gets easier... I was about to just give up on the game. Now that I know to get as many hearts as I can, I shall do that.

Skywalker... to me it was worth it, but I haven't tried using the gc controller. I tried using the wiimote and I just didn't like the way it felt. It's just a matter of preference I guess. You can always buy it and then return it if you don't like it/don't think it's worth it...

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
I would say get it. For example, super mario world? Only thing that will REALLY work with it. GC works, but run is x and y I think, and jump is b....something like that, but it reaaallllyyyy doesn't work. at all. The vc controller works nicely though, I think (at least in the long run) it's a good buy.

EDIT: POST 100! \/\/007! .....-_-

Sensai

Smash Master
No, Sidius. I, too, want Battletoads, if for no other reason then I NEVER freakin' beat that game.

It still sits there, under my TV, taunting me and calling my name...'Come play with me, and watch as I eat your SOUL!'

And I bought the Classic Controller...it's still sitting there in it's case, but I bought it going on the fact that I'm going to want it when I download a SNES game. Oh, and also on the off chance that Brawl uses it...

LemonManX

Smash Lord
I also want Battletoads for the sole purpose of beating it. That game taunted me constantly with its difficulty, then it broke... so I never got closure. I want Battletoads closure!

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Anyone know what time zone the 9-o'clock release is? PLEASE NOT PACIFIC

300th post in thread

(Is NOT Eastern, not Central, either :()

Sensai

Smash Master
Wow. Nintendo's obviously noticing that they're in trouble, games wise. That, or they're realized they're being stingy with VC games. Anyways, they've had two weeks of great releases...
WaterTails said:
Does anyone know when DKC comes out in the US? 'Cause it's really hard for me to resist getting that little cute puff-ball with my 1200 points!
Today's kick arse titles come in the form of one (1) Donkey Kong Country, along with Streets of Rage. Alos, the other two titles look interesting as well. Here's the list, in total, as taken from Nintendo's press release concerning this stuff.

Donkey Kong™ Country (Super NES®, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points): Donkey Kong Country is an incredible island adventure, and the first game to feature Donkey Kong's sidekick, Diddy Kong®. Challenged by the crazed tribe of reptilian Kremlings, the Kongs face their cunning adversaries armed with lightning-quick moves, chest-pounding muscle and awesome aerial acrobatics. The duo also gets help from a host of friends and family, from Funky Kong™, Cranky Kong™ and Candy Kong™ to Rambi™ the rhino, Expresso™ the ostrich, Enguarde™ the swordfish, Squawks the parrot and Winky the frog. This game has more than 30 levels, plus dozens of hidden caves and secret rooms - more than 100 areas in all. Help the Kongs recover their stolen banana hoard!

The Legend of Kage (NES®, 1-2 players, 500 Wii Points): This classic ninja-action game first appeared in arcades in 1985 and became instantly popular. As the Iga ninja named "Kage," players embark on an action-packed quest as they move toward a magic castle where the Princess "Kiri" is held captive by "Yohshirou Yukikusa." To stay alive, players move vertically and horizontally through forest and castle environments and execute massive jumps, all the while using throwing-star knives and a sword to take down hordes of enemies.

New Adventure Island (TurboGrafx16, 1 player, 600 Wii Points): On peaceful Adventure Island, the islanders are celebrating the wedding of Master Higgins and Tina, the "Miss Island Queen." Suddenly, the celebration is interrupted by the appearance of Baron Bronsky and his henchmen, who kidnap Tina and the island children. Master Higgins must set out to rescue the children and his beloved Tina in this side-scrolling action game. Throw hatchets and boomerangs, hop on skateboards and guide Master Higgins safely to the goal in each area. New Adventure Island consists of seven exciting stages. Each stage is split into four areas, with a boss waiting at the end of the final area. Defeat all the bosses and release the kidnapped children. And waiting in the castle of the final stage - the wicked Baron Bronsky. Help Master Higgins defeat him and reclaim his bride.

Streets of Rage™ (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points): The city was once a happy, peaceful place...until one day, a powerful secret criminal organization took over. This vicious syndicate soon had control of the government and even the police force. The city has become a center of violence and crime where no one is safe. Amid this turmoil, a group of determined young police officers has sworn to clean up the city. Among them are Adam Hunter, Axel Stone and Blaze Fielding. They've decided to put their lives on the line and take back their city through their special hand-to-hand combat abilities. They are willing to risk anything, even their lives, on the Streets of Rage.
I'll probably be picking up SoR, seeing as how I've never actually played it. The other two sound interesting, but I'm not really sure I'm willing to take a risk...

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Off to my Wii
to buy DKC

Just checked and it isn't there :( Oh, well! Nintendo probably didn't finish putting them up yet!

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ha, Streets of Rage. Now THIS is nostalgia, baby. One of the first Genesis games I got. It's a pretty good classic beat-em up, especially with two players.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Ho-hum, not really impressed. The N64 section is very neglected. I am happy that Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 are available, but come on, two Mario titles? I'm not complaining at their choices of Mario games, they just need to get on the ball and add more diverse titles, along with titles in general.

They have added PLENTY of Turbo Grafix games already, we don't need any more for awhile (along with that Sega Genesis.) Let's see some more Super Nintendo and N64 titles (cheers to Donkey Country Country however, decent game, but not something I am excited about.)

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes, DKC.
Now gimme DKC2, please.

Anyways, here's a curiosity question: with the VC, when we use a GCN controller, are we allowed to use the control stick, or are we forced to use that pansy little excuse for a D-Pad?

And is there controller customization options?

*checks D-pads*
Eh, I guess it's really about the same size as a DS pad, just not as pleasant-feeling.
Still...

Sensai

Smash Master
I don't think you can customize buttons on VC games, which is too bad, really. As for the control stick/D pad thing, dunno.

Kereokola, I agree with what you're saying. I really wanna see some more 64 titles too, along with some great SNES RPGs...

Just about every SNES RPG is worth the 8 dollars they want, IMO. [sarcasm]Except Chrono Trigger...that one sucked.[/sarcasm]

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
Yes, you can use the control stick, but it's a pain. A big one. When moving up, the diagonaly does not translate well and you could fly off in some crazy direction. Classic Controller (cc) ftw.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yes, DKC.
Now gimme DKC2, please.

Anyways, here's a curiosity question: with the VC, when we use a GCN controller, are we allowed to use the control stick, or are we forced to use that pansy little excuse for a D-Pad?

And is there controller customization options?

*checks D-pads*
Eh, I guess it's really about the same size as a DS pad, just not as pleasant-feeling.
Still...
You can't customize the controller settings, so the D-Pad on the Gamecube controller is the D-Pad for SNES games. You can imagine how awkward it will be playing some SNES games, considering how shall we say...useless the D-Pad is on the Gamecube. :ohwell:

Keep in mind, Nintendo can map buttons any way they choose. In Mario Kart 64, the L button is used as the Z button for the game, and the Z Button becomes L. Also, there is a disclaimer that appears before you download any game that controls may have been optimized for the Classic Controller.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ah...

Well, I just can't fork over money for a Classic controller at the moment.

Well, I COULD, but I don't want to.
Besides, good luck FINDING one.

I can't even find Wii Points cards, so I'm using a friend's bank account.

Anyway, if they let you look at the controls beforehand, then that is smart on their part.
Not letting us customize the controls?
Not so smart. But I'll live.

Besides, I have every intention of getting a classic controller eventually, anyways, and every intention of getting DKC.
Might as well get one early if I can, right?

Sensai

Smash Master
There are a few at the Walmart right next door. :-D

If you really really DESPERATELY need one, I can mail you one or something.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
My area has none, nothing at all since people in California seem to love their VC games. It's pretty depressing for me... and I can't use my credit card. The only time I ever got my hands on anything Wii related was on the release date. One controller, nunchuk, point card, classic controller, Wii, everything. There was sooo many of each item in stock, why didn't I take them all like a greedy *******?

Shouldn't we have invented time machines by now? Or at least be able to hover to school?

Stryks

Smash Hero
there were wii points cards, nunchuks and wiimotes as far as the I can c one day, then I went back on the afternoon to get some photos at wal mart,there was NOTHING... was pissed wanted a controller BAD...

Sensai

Smash Master
FireBomb, I'd much rather have Mr. whoever-the-hell-is-in-charge-of-putting-those-chips-in-our-brains-so-we-don't-need-to-use-cellular-phones-and-GPS-devices get done first. I'm ****in' tired of walking around, having to hold up a phone to my head...like some kind of ****in' Neanderthal.

SaberPrime

Smash Journeyman
I look forward to Super Metroid, I will immediately buy it when it comes out no mattter the cost.

And...If god permits through some insance miracle, Secret of Mana.

Sensai

Smash Master
Lots of VC news today, actually...

I saw that Excite Bike has been confirmed (via ESRB website/IGN), and now this: 4 games from Sega being pledged to see release on the VC.

Beyond Oasis
Sonic Spinball
Sword of Vermillion
Vectorman

Found the ESRB thing on IGN. Here are the other games:

Zombies Ate My Neighbors - Wii, Rated E10+ (Konami)
Castlevania - Wii, Rated E (Konami)
Gradius III - Wii, Rated E (Konami)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Wii, Rated E (Konami)*

*Note: There are currently two games listed for Wii under the name TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles). One is the current Ubisoft published TMNT game to go with the official movie, while the other one is shown above as simply "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turltes," published by Konami. This is the 1989 TMNT platformer, also published by Ultra/Konami.

Chew Man Fu was announced earlier today, so there's another one.

So...that's like, what? 9? No, it's 10. Wow, 10 games for the VC, all in a very short span.

Sensai

Smash Master
And Austrailia just got OoT and Kid Icarus on the same day.

Surely we'll be let in on OoT and Excite Bike sometime this month...right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom