• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Wii Virtual Console Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bball2012

BRoomer
BRoomer
I am itching to talk about Virtual Console releases, but the official Wii thread is much too unwieldly for a sustained discussion. So I bring you...the Official Wii Virtual Console Thread (TM)!

I just thought it would be a good idea to get some discussion going on these classics so people don't go wasting their money on NES Baseball or something awful. I know SWF skews pretty young, so I'm sure a lot of people could use some help when trying to choose beyond the obvious Nintendo staples.

Here's a list of all currently available VC titles, courtesy Wikipedia. I don't think Nintendo has an up-to-date list on their site.

Sega's VC Homepage

Hudson's VC Page

Check out those links to piece together the future VC forecast since Nintendo refuses to offer a systematic method for revealing upcoming titles.

This week on the Virtual Console (1/15/07-1/22/07)
Xevious (NES, 500 points)
R-Type III (SNES, 800 points)
Moto Roader (Turbografx-16, 600 points)

Virtual Console games are released in North America every Monday at 9 AM Pacific.

*Whew* With all the prerequisites out of the way, I can talk about the games I actually own. I bought Super Mario 64 and Gunstar Heroes last week. Mario 64 is of course a known quantity; it's the same classic game it was a decade ago, though the camera is a bit more frustrating these days. The game actually cleans up pretty well on VC; it's a lot crisper than I remember. It controls like a dream with the classic controller and of course you can use the Cube controller too. If you haven't played this one in a few years (or like me, you got way too frustrated by the DS version's shoddy controls), this one's worth ten bucks. And if you've never played it at all, this is the best game available on VC right now. So uh, buy it.

Gunstar Heroes I had never played before, even though I owned a Genesis back in the day. It's a fun little shooter that's sort of like Mega Man but with less focus on avoiding obstacles and more on killing everything that ****ing moves. There's a very simple yet diverse weapon combo system where you can mix and match four different guns for maximum ownage. The game is short, but like a lot of games of the time, it begs replaying. The boss battles pretty much rock face (and there's a lot of them) and it's just really gratifying to grapple a half-******** robot dude and chuck him into five other half-******** robot dudes. If you're into action shooters, it's worth $8.

I am definitely getting Super Mario Bros. next week (I have NEVER played it, believe it or not) and maybe Castlevania. Hopefully the xmas day lineup isn't a flash in the pan in terms of quality; the lineup so far is pretty poor considering all the potential.

Anyway, post impressions, suggestions, desperate pleas to Nintendo for Earthbound, etc. I'll try to keep the first post updated with what's new for the week.

wing zrow

Smash Lord
I downloaded sonic and gunstar heroes so far. I would download super mario on christmas too but i'm 1$ short....

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Yeah, we definitely need a thread like this, for all the people who need VC suggestions, given that (probably) a large number of people here haven't had the chance to play these old games, and need to know if they're decent or not.

That said, what's the deal with Street Fighter II and Super Castlevania IV? Are they any good? I'm kinda into Castlevania, but only the Metroid-vania games in the vein of Symphony of the Night/Aria of Sorrow. . .I'm fairly certain that Super Castlevania IV doesn't follow that formula, so I'm not sure if I'd be interested in it.

And finally, Super Mario Bros. is coming out. That alone is the best Christmas present ever. Although I was looking forward to Super Mario World too. . .

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I picked up Gunstar Heroes so far, it's fun from what I've played, though $8 for such an old game feels like a lot. I'm planning on downloading Super Mario 64 because I hate having to hook up my N64 to play it, and I'll be downloading Super Mario Bros. for the same reason. Castlevania sounds good, but again, $8 for such an old game... agh. $10 for Mario 64 is ridiculous as well. I don't like the pricing system at all.

smashbros_777

Smash Journeyman
I picked up Gunstar Heroes so far, it's fun from what I've played, though $8 for such an old game feels like a lot. I'm planning on downloading Super Mario 64 because I hate having to hook up my N64 to play it, and I'll be downloading Super Mario Bros. for the same reason. Castlevania sounds good, but again, $8 for such an old game... agh. $10 for Mario 64 is ridiculous as well. I don't like the pricing system at all.

You should be happy in canada the price of a wii points card is $30 bucks! $15 dollars for super mario 64?! forget it then.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I bet they'd make so much more money if you could specify how many Wii points you'd like to purchase... other than increments of ten.

I bought 1,000 Wii points and got SM64. I could have gotten two NES games... but there weren't any very good ones, sadly. Plus, SM64 is just sexy. And last longer.

Anyway, I'm waiting for SSB64-- if it ever happens.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
A sort of side note: Apparently the Classic Controller is useless as you can play most of the VC games with a gamecube controller.
Just an FYI if you didn't know. I thought it was sort of strange.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
I have The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong Country. I haven't really played any of them much so far, but I'm really hanging out for some decent N64 titles.

Also, since DKC is a Rareware game, does that mean there is still some hope that Goldeneye will be released?

FireBomb

Smash Lord
In case anyone hasn't payed attention to it, I've heard that Toejam & Earl is a pretty cool game. Comes out Monday so you might wanna watch for that, though with this kind of pricing system, I doubt you'll take only my word for it.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Also, since DKC is a Rareware game, does that mean there is still some hope that Goldeneye will be released?
Nintendo has ownership of the Donkey Kong series, so there really wasn't a problem with Nintendo releasing DKC.

Goldeneye is much more complicated. The problem with Goldeneye is that Rare Ltd. developed it, so Nintendo would have to get permission from them. Nintendo would also have to get permission from Activision, the current holder of rights for James Bond games. And it is also quite possible that Nintendo may need to get permission from Microsoft, since Microsoft owns Rare Ltd.

Keep in mind that neither Microsoft nor Rare Ltd. have made any announcement regarding this situation, so the possibility is still there. Keep your fingers crossed or write some persuasive letters, because you never know...

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Anyone believe the rumor that Super Mario Bros. on Christmas Day will be free, as a present from Nintendo?

Well, STOP BELIEVING. It's not happening.

Zodiac

Smash Master
i'm just waiting for a few more n64 games to come to the VC. Super mario 64 isn't enough.
Zelda Ocarina of time,
Starfox64
Mariokart64

super mario rpg

those are mostly the ones im waiting for. and of course every snes Final Fantasy.

ValiantDeftone

Smash Apprentice
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Link to the Past
Super Metroid

im hoping these will get released. its just a matter of time till they release Link to the Past but im not sure about the rest.

Sensai

Smash Master
Good idea for a thread. The Wii Thread is usually very hectic, haha.

I haven't downloaded anything yet, but I will be checking this thread for reviews (albeit short ones) of games.

Cashed, as much of a Nintendo fanboy I am, I gotta agree with you: the pricing sucks. I don't want to pay 10 bucks for a N64 game that I probably already have, nor do I wanna pay 5 bucks for a NES game that I could get easily on an emulator.

The only things that I really need the VC for right now are TurboGraphix games (spelling, sorry).

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Now that a good game besides Mario 64 has been announced (4, actually. I'm considering buying every one of those newly announced games besides R-Type), I really hope I get a Wii Points Card for Christmas. I REALLY want to download Super Mario Bros. I'll take my Wii to my cousins, and we can relive that game. Bomberman '93 looks great, too (I can dig 5 players).

smashbros_777

Smash Journeyman
I can't wait for super metroid ethier.

Here's some games i have in mind:

Smash bros
Golden eye (If it comes out)

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I'd like to see Mario Party 1, 2, or 3 come out on the VC from the N64. You know, back in the old days when Mario Party games were GOOD.

Mario Kart 64 has a very deserving spot in the shop, one that I hope we see soon.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Remember when it was widely thought that VC games would be three to five dollars each? Good times.

I'm not too excited about any of these games right now. You'd think Kid Icarus would be out with Pit being in Brawl and everything...:mad: And what about Earthbound? I want some old school RPGs, now! It'd be a smart idea if they had one or more teams devoted to translating games into English.

I refuse to buy any VC games before Majora's Mask is re-released. -comonyoshi 12/22/06

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609
I downloaded Super Mario 64 right away. I really recommend it to people. No, there's no new content. But you can play with the GCN controller. And when you do, not only does it controls much smoother, but you can use the C-stick to rid those camera problems the 64 version had.

I'm hoping to see Super Metroid, Earthbound, and some other games available for download in 2007.

Banksya

Smash Ace
Games confirmed to be coming soon...
Title, Developer, Release date, ESRB

Nintendo Entertainment System
Super Mario Bros. Nintendo December 25, 2006 E
Baseball Nintendo January 1, 2007 E
Urban Champion Nintendo January 1, 2007 E
Dr. Mario Nintendo Unknown E
Duck Hunt Nintendo Unknown E
Excitebike Nintendo Unknown E
Galaga Namco Bandai Unknown E
Gradius Konami Unknown E
Hogan's Alley Nintendo Unknown E
Ice Climber Nintendo Unknown E
Kid Icarus Nintendo Unknown E
Kirby's Adventure Nintendo Unknown E
Punch-Out!! Nintendo Unknown E
Pro Wrestling Nintendo Unknown E
Super Mario Bros. 3 Nintendo Unknown E
Wild Gunman Nintendo Unknown E
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Street Fighter II:The World Warrior Capcom December 25, 2006 T
Super Castlevania IV Konami December 25, 2006 E
Contra III: The Alien Wars Konami Unknown E
Donkey Kong Country Rare/Nintendo Unknown E
Hagane: The Final Conflict Red Entertainment Unknown E
Kirby Super Star HAL Laboratory Unknown E
Kirby's Dream Land 3 HAL Laboratory Unknown E
Pilotwings Nintendo Unknown E
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars Squaresoft Unknown E
Super Mario World Nintendo Unknown E
Super Metroid Nintendo Unknown E
Tin Star Software Creations Unknown E
Uniracers DMA Design Unknown E
Nintendo 64
AeroFighters Assault Paradigm Unknown E
Beetle Adventure Racing Paradigm/EA Unknown E
Mario Kart 64 Nintendo Unknown E
Mario Party Hudson Soft Unknown E
Star Fox 64 Nintendo Unknown E
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Nintendo Unknown E
Sega Genesis
ToeJam & Earl Sega December 25, 2006 E
TurboGrafx-16
R-Type Irem/Hudson Soft December 25, 2006 E
Dungeon Explorer Hudson Soft Unknown E

Sensai

Smash Master
commonyoshi said:
I'm not too excited about any of these games right now. You'd think Kid Icarus would be out with Pit being in Brawl and everything... And what about Earthbound? I want some old school RPGs, now! It'd be a smart idea if they had one or more teams devoted to translating games into English.
I'll level with ya: I'm upset that the VC isn't godly yet. But think of it from Nintendo's point of view. If they release all they have right now, then there's absolutely no way that they'll make money off of it later.

Also, as for Kid Icarus...expect it to be released right before or after Brawl, so that Nintendo can cash in on it or boost up SSBB sales. Earthbound? No idea, my friend.

Duck Hunt Nintendo Unknown E
Excitebike Nintendo Unknown E
Kirby Super Star HAL Laboratory Unknown E
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars Squaresoft Unknown E
Mario Party Hudson Soft Unknown E

Those are the games I have every intention of buying.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Ah, Wild Gunman. I love that game, plus, it was on Back to the Future Part II.

And I may or may not get Duck Hunt, depending on wheather or not the shooting games in Wii Play are that great.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
I have a question that has been bothering me lately about the VC. I have the Wii, and will be getting a Wi-Fi adapter and some Wii points relatively soon. My question was, does the downloadable game take off from the 512 mb os memory, is it just stored elsewhere, and doesn't affect it. But if it does, how many games can you store on the Wii itself, before you have to buy the memory card.

And other than VC, and Opera what purpose does the Wi-Fi have, since there are 0 games online as of now.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I have a question that has been bothering me lately about the VC. I have the Wii, and will be getting a Wi-Fi adapter and some Wii points relatively soon. My question was, does the downloadable game take off from the 512 mb os memory, is it just stored elsewhere, and doesn't affect it. But if it does, how many games can you store on the Wii itself, before you have to buy the memory card.

And other than VC, and Opera what purpose does the Wi-Fi have, since there are 0 games online as of now.
All Wii games save directly to the 512MB flash drive. VC games are stored onto the 512MB flash drive as well, but you can store VC games onto a SD Card. However, you cannot play VC games that are stored on SD Card, so you will have to trasfer them back into the Wii before they can be played again. Keep in mind, you can delete and re-download any VC game you've purchased. The Internet Channel is also stored on the flash drive.

As far as size goes, it depends on the VC game itself. Before you download a VC games, it lists the size of the game and how much memory you have left. Some VC games use more blocks than others, but there should be enough space on the flash drive for now unless you intend to download all the VC games...

Besides the VC games and Opera browser, there isn't really any use for online at the moment besides the occasional firmware update. Several games have been announced to have online capabilities but they won't be out for a while.:ohwell:

Sensai

Smash Master
Rockettrainer said:
Keep in mind, you can delete and re-download any VC game you've purchased.
Really? I didn't know that. I assume they're free of cost, also?

And the WiFi doesn't really serve purpose except for Opera, Forecast, Shop, News (come January), and Elebits.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Now having downloaded Mario 64 I'm remember how frustrating the camera was (and still is). I've had so many deaths because of the camera... thankfully we now have the completely controllable camera in games like Mario Sunshine.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Really? I didn't know that. I assume they're free of cost, also?
Yep, I tested it, and you can redownload VC games. The only thing you pay is time, because the download speed is always slow. <_<

bball2012

BRoomer
BRoomer
Like Rockettrainer said, the games go on the internal memory. To give you soem perspective, the memory is divided into about 2100-2200 blocks. Mario 64 takes up 90 blocks and Gunstar Heroes (Genesis) takes up like 25. The saves for most games, VC and Wii, take up one or two blocks. So you'll be able to get a lot of mileage out of the internal memory, especially with Nintendo basically ignoring N64 games so far.

I definitely agree with everybody that the prices are pretty steep. I remember hoping for everything under 5 bucks and expecting $3 NES, $5 SNES, $10 N64, but Nintendo exceeded even my worst fears. But I guess it wouldn't be Nintendo otherwise. NES and SNES games have been repackaged so many times that there's really no reason to be charging that much now. Hopefully they will keep the prices they have now for the high-profile stuff and offer better deals on some lesser known games. It's hard for me to imagine that Tennis is tearing up the charts at 500 points.

That said, what's the deal with Street Fighter II and Super Castlevania IV? Are they any good? I'm kinda into Castlevania, but only the Metroid-vania games in the vein of Symphony of the Night/Aria of Sorrow. . .I'm fairly certain that Super Castlevania IV doesn't follow that formula, so I'm not sure if I'd be interested in it.
There are a lot of better versions of SFII that came out later on SNES (SFII Turbo, for instance), so you probably shouldn't bother with this one. I've never played SNES Castlevania, but you're right that it's level-based instead of open world like Metroid. I have heard lots of good things about this CV, though. GameSpot will probably have a review next week.

P.S. I want Chrono Trigger =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom