• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Wii Virtual Console Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Single player option in Bomberman is simple at first. There's 6 worlds, each one getting more challenging than the next. It annoyed me, but was a pretty fun experience in the end. I've beaten single player, and I know I wanna play it again. Multiplayer is also fun, the more people the better.

Anyway, the classic Sonic, Zelda, and F-Zero are fun, challenging, replayable. Each game here has their pros and cons, but if you want a single player game, you might want one of these. I plan to get F-Zero next, but I hear it's great, too.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Okay, thanks a lot! I'll edit this post... unless my post drops a ton with what game I get.

Armygeddon Bomb

Smash Ace
A list of all the virtual games I want:
-Super Mario 64
-Star Fox 64
-Sonic the Hedgehog 1,2,3, and Knuckles
-Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
-Super Mario Bros.
-Mike Tyson's Punch Out
-Mario Kart 64
-Super Mario World
-Super Metroid
-Super Mario RPG
-Paper Mario
-Tetris Attack

That's what I can think of so far...

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Any games come out today? It's a Monday, I didn't know if they are still doing Virtual Console Monday's or not. I haven't got around to check yet.

Sensai

Smash Master
Oh, wow Kereo. I didn't even think about that.

As far as I know, no new games were released today. But then again, I wouldn't know because I've been playing SMRPG.....

/sigh

Gonzales

Smash Journeyman
I've only bought The Legend of Zelda (It's awesome, by the way), and I'm wondering what else to buy. Has anybody bought Super Mario Bros? Is it worth the $5?

FireBomb

Smash Lord
If you never truly owned or played it like myself, I would. Totally replayable, a near-perfect masterpiece in its own right. At $5, it's a cheap as VC games are going to get, anyway. If you liked Legend of Zelda and the other platform Mario games, you'll like this one too my friend.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
I'm really aggrivated at Nintendo for hardly adding anything worth purchasing. Super Mario 64 is a must buy, and there are a few titles that are all-right to play, but all in all, the line-up is very ho-hum at this point.

They need to get on the ball and add more multiplayer type games, like Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye (still unconfirmed whether or not Nintendo will get the rights), Super Smash Bros., and Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Other single-player games would be nice, more POPULAR single-player games, rather.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I'm really aggrivated at Nintendo for hardly adding anything worth purchasing. Super Mario 64 is a must buy, and there are a few titles that are all-right to play, but all in all, the line-up is very ho-hum at this point.

They need to get on the ball and add more multiplayer type games, like Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye (still unconfirmed whether or not Nintendo will get the rights), Super Smash Bros., and Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Other single-player games would be nice, more POPULAR single-player games, rather.
Well they got deals with the Genesis and TurboGraphix to release their games as well as their own choices. It's only been a month and something so I'm not too surprized at their production rate for the VC. It's like a giant snowball, you get something to start with, then it will gradually get larger in time. As for multiplayer games, well not as many people have a Wii right now as there will be at the end of the year, so the people wanting those kinds of games just happen to have cool friends with Wii's. I dunno :dizzy: I'm guessing Nintendo will release more multiplayers when their shortages end and people will be able to get a Wii/Classic controller whenever they want.

I'm waiting to see when games like Diddy Kong Racing and Bomberman 64 come out, myself. It's kinda freaky to see how similar Bomberman games are in multiplayer from one system to the next...

Sensai

Smash Master
Rare's been on the decline anyways...not too much longer, they'll be gone and then the rights'll be open to MS who likes Nintendo anyways.

I want something to be added to these games. Can I PLEASE see a game get upgraded somehow? It takes almost nothing for Nintendo to put the games up, so why not spend an extra 10 minutes and fix a bug or two?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It was stated somewhere that the VC Games are exact copies of the original games, so any bugs/glitches in a particular game will still work for that particular game. For example, the Minus World glitch in Super Mario Bros. for the NES version still works. However, if you try doing the Minus World Glitch in the Super Mario All-Stars (assuming it gets released...), it won't work because it was fixed in the All Star's version of Super Mario Bros.

Sensai

Smash Master
Rockettrainer said:
It was stated somewhere that the VC Games are exact copies of the original games....
It was stated that the FIRST VC games would be exact copies. Not all of them forever, but just some of them.

And why not release both versions? It seriously doesn't take any time at all to upload the games as-is, and I'm sure it wouldn't take long to update it and then upload it.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Because Nintendo is Japanese like that.

Every time I try playing Bomberman with 5 players, the Wii remotes always disconnect by the time we get to the game. Disconnecting and doing it over doesn't work either, it screws everyone up. 4 player is fine with only remotes, and for some reason, 5 player does work with 3 remotes and 2 cube controllers (or any combination besides 4 Wii, 1 cube). It's weird because a combination of remotes that are and aren't sync'd disconnect, so I don't think trying to sync again will help... Anyone else have multiplayer classic game problems?

Sensai

Smash Master
Finally got my 2000 Wii points....gonna bust it on Bomberman, Gunstar, and then who knows what else. We shall see...

Hopefully I won't have that problem, FireBomb. Although, I don't see myself playing it with 5 people anytime soon, but hopefully it won't be screwed.

Oh, and just a BTW about the whole 'updating' the game thing that I was speaking of earlier. If you go to the shop channel, there's already a button that is designated for 'updates'.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
You don't have to have friends with Wii's to play multiplayer games. You didn't understand, I meant games you can play with 4 people (just use four controllers.)

Anyway, I'm really jealous of Japan due to the fact that they are able to download Mario Kart 64 this month, as well as other popular NES and SNES games. We better get more this month other than Dungeon Explorer and R-Type (whatever the hell they are.)

And another thing... I know Square is going to be a partner on the Virtual Console list, do you think games like FFIV and FFV will be available for download sometime? I hope so. I don't own a SNES anymore, or a GBA, so I can't play those games.

Sensai

Smash Master
Kereokacola said:
And another thing... I know Square is going to be a partner on the Virtual Console list, do you think games like FFIV and FFV will be available for download sometime? I hope so. I don't own a SNES anymore, or a GBA, so I can't play those games.
It depends on how loosely you use the word 'sometime.' I'm sure they'll eventually get there (SquareEnix has been showing a bunch of love for Nintendo as of late), but when is up to anyone.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Unfortunately, you're just going to have to get used to it. Nintendo's saving all of the good games so when there is a drought they can say "Oh but we have so many classics available for download this month, the fan favorite blah,blah,".

You could try e-mailing Nintendo with request. Normally I wouldn't ever consider e-mailing but we did get Masterquest because of that so who knows. It might be worth a shot. Or it could just re-inforce their ability to sell us old games at high prices.

Sensai

Smash Master
Gradius (NES -- 500 points)
Soldier Blade (TG-16 -- 600 points)
Dungeon Explorer (TG -- 600 points)

Nothing to interested, s'far as I'm concerning. Bomberman and Gunstar, though, are great.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Street Fighter II for the SNES was fun... when I was 9. I played that game for the first time in years, and I didn't feel the magic. Maybe because I couldn't win against my friend, or maybe I'm just boring like that. At least I got reunited with my man, sumo wrestler E. Honda.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^
That man is a hoss.

On VC related news, Sega's confirmed at least 5 more titles to be released in Q1. For those not interested in the link, here're the games: Streets of Rage, Bio-Hazard Battle, Gain Ground , Comix Zone and Bonanza Bros.

Link!
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/08/sega-announces-five-new-vc-genesis-games/

And I saw somewhere a tid-bit talking about how Contra 2 was put up on the ESRB site...but I can't find it.

[Edit:]

BTW, I sat down for about 2-3 hours and beat Gunstar today. Great game...if you don't have it, it's easily worth the 8 dollars. Definitely.

[Edit 2:]

BTW, I downloaded Dungeon Explorer. Haven't had much time with it, but it seems cool as hell.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
YES Streets of Rage is coming back! I'd prefer Streets of Rage 2, but we'll have to hope and wait for that one too. I wonder when we'll see other games from the same series on the VC. So far they're just picking one of each... One Mario one Zelda one Sonic game and so on.

Wow I didn't realize how many old games I played in my day. Good thing me and the VC came at the right time.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
UHH.... I downloaded.... 3. Plenty of space and no internet :urg:

All the other games I mentioned/reviewed are based on my keen memory (like Ristar, Streets of Rage, others), word of mouth from people I don't normally play Wii with (I know people) or by observing it and playing it myself since my friends buy different varieties (like Street Fighter II and Gunstar Heroes, which I'm glad you like).

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Because Nintendo is Japanese like that.

Every time I try playing Bomberman with 5 players, the Wii remotes always disconnect by the time we get to the game. Disconnecting and doing it over doesn't work either, it screws everyone up. 4 player is fine with only remotes, and for some reason, 5 player does work with 3 remotes and 2 cube controllers (or any combination besides 4 Wii, 1 cube). It's weird because a combination of remotes that are and aren't sync'd disconnect, so I don't think trying to sync again will help... Anyone else have multiplayer classic game problems?
I believe you have to hold down R on the Gamecube controller(s) you want to add. It isn't really explained well, but this will allow you to play 5 player Bomberman, which is a ton of fun. :)

Still hoping that Mario Kart 64 comes out this month to coincide with the Japanese release, though I doubt it'll happen. <_<

Stryks

Smash Hero
I bought super mario bros,. had to its the classic, as soon as I started playin my mom instantly recognized the classic tune and, asked me: is that the one u played when u were a kid?... I go yeah, ucan download games with the wii points... she wanted to me to download pac man, I told her that that game isnt available (I doubt an original pac man game appeared on the NES or SNES did it?) so she got disapointed... meh also downloaded street fighter 2, but dont have a GC controller or classic controller... so goin to have to wait...

Sensai

Smash Master
Strykes said:
(I doubt an original pac man game appeared on the NES or SNES did it?)
Actually, both Pac Man and the (far superior) Ms. Pacman appeared on the NES. Tecmo, I believe....I'm not sure, but I don't think you should be counting on them, even though Nintendo says they highly respect Pac Man. Hopefully things'll work out, 'cause my parents raised me on Ms. Pacman, as they're both fanatics.

Anyways...news:

European Q1 VC list link below. For those too lazy to click, check this out: they've got some gems going their way.
IGN said:
Nintendo UK has revealed it's planning to release 20 first party titles, seven Turbografx (PC Engine) games and nine SEGA Mega Drive classics in Q1.
Here's the list of all the games shown on IGN.

Nintendo games (various systems)
------------
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Super Mario World
Street Fighter II: World Warrior
Super Probotector
Mario Kart 64

Sega games
----------------
Streets of Rage
Bonanza Bros
Comix Zone
Bio-Hazard Battle

Turbografx
--------------
Soldier Blade
New Adventure Island
Double Dungeons

Link!
http://wii.ign.com/articles/753/753519p1.html

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
C'mon Nintendo. Give me a game that I don't already own in the form of a remake! I want Super Mario RPG! Or Majora's Mask (I gave up on that game after the difficult [at the time] 'get all the Zora eggs' quest. I could easily handle it now, but I don't own the game anymore.)

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I'll be waiting for Super Mario World, too. It's been so long since my SNES was taken away from me and given to undeserving little cousins.

Even though I only own a few VC games myself, I'll try to be accurate and careful about what I say about the games that people may not have heard about so I don't let you guys stray down the wrong path... Course, anyone elses opinions would be helpful!

Sensai

Smash Master
My job's started back up again (I'm a tutor), so I'll be getting a little more cash flow now that school's back in session. So, I'll help with those reviews FireBomb.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Were super mario bros 3?! Its the best sellin mario game of all time and it not on the VC?! *Grabs shotguns and kills nearby cats*...

FireBomb

Smash Lord
"Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish." -John Quincy Adams
Yeah, basically just wait for whatever it is you want you savages. They gotta get to all those other games that we never knew existed first.

When you finally get that one game you always wanted, remember, "Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." -Captain Jean-Luc Picard

And Stryks, "Time spent with cats is never wasted." - Colette
Don't hurt the kitties.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Okay, I'm buying the old school Mario game. *hides own kitty* Stryks, don't shoot my kitty cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom