• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
There is a saying about trying to please everyone and ending up pleasing nobody...

I'm calling it right now: for every single major argument both/all sides will end up with tournaments "proving" their claim and nothing is actually going to be proved in any of those arguments because local areas will for the most part refuse to try another method at all/refuse to give them a serious try. You'll be right back to where we are now when its all said and done.

Should have stuck to your guns URC.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Same thing: trying to please everyone and pleasing nobody. Nobody will be pleased because they'll have ground to support their own thoughts and will ignore the proof of other thoughts, yet they will still argue that their version should be the final Unity version.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
There is a saying about trying to please everyone and ending up pleasing nobody...

I'm calling it right now: for every single major argument both/all sides will end up with tournaments "proving" their claim and nothing is actually going to be proved in any of those arguments because local areas will for the most part refuse to try another method at all/refuse to give them a serious try. You'll be right back to where we are now when its all said and done.

No, they shouldn't. Why? If the overall goal of the URC is to have a unified ruleset, then they have lost serious focus by mandating that ruleset being used in US and Canadian tournaments only. I am sorry to say this Xyro, but I predict a 20% cut in attendance in WHOBO 4 compared to last year because of the combination of the loss of MK only players, and international interest dropping because of the MK ban.

That is why I pointed out in my last post, the country that has the most influence in the ruleset often times makes the dumb and quick decisions either because they are fearful that it might unbalance the game, as in the case of Soul Calibur, or it preserves some phantom platform that for the most part in any other part of the world is dead.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Let me compare this to other games so that you can see my point. France, which influences the Soul Calibur rulesets, has banned the Devil Jin moveset in Soul Calibur 5 without doing heavy analysis to game balance because that moveset can be attached to a customized character. Japan, which often influences Street Fighter titles(Third Strike in particular), has a rule that you, the winner of the previous match, must keep the same character, and you must keep the same super art. They, the Japanese and even some Americans, say this preserves the Arcade perfect intention of the game, but I have played the game in the arcades, and you can change your super art if you win your match. Other idiotic rulings include the banning of console exclusive characters because they were not in the arcade version, again maintaining the Arcade Perfect philosophy that most players have.
Console exclusive characters should be banned in SC for two reasons:
1. So arcade players are not disadvantaged unfairly.
2. Because 99% of console-exclusives are either superior/inferior clones of already existing characters (Why play the original Astaroth when you can play some random Berserker?) or very over-powered/under-powered original character (due to the lack of arcade-balance testing) with little thought put into their design.

Maybe some people believe in the Arcade Perfect philosophy, but banning all console exclusives as a rule of thumb prevents issues like the one we have with MK right now and makes the game more interesting.

Jimmyfosho

Smash Hero
Being sarcastic and pointing out the obvious.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

Flayl

Smash Hero
Smash community is a bunch of babies, they ban stuff on how gay it is instead of whether its banworthy or not.

But then you wouldn't have the community without the substantial amount of babies

Catch-22

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
Console exclusive characters should be banned in SC for two reasons:
1. So arcade players are not disadvantaged unfairly.
2. Because 99% of console-exclusives are either superior/inferior clones of already existing characters (Why play the original Astaroth when you can play some random Berserker?) or very over-powered/under-powered original character (due to the lack of arcade-balance testing) with little thought put into their design.

Maybe some people believe in the Arcade Perfect philosophy, but banning all console exclusives as a rule of thumb prevents issues like the one we have with MK right now and makes the game more interesting.
I'm sorry to tell you this, but there has NOT been a Soul Calibur arcade game since SC II, so your argument holds little water.

That said, I would forgive the banning of console exclusive characters if, and only if, they only appear in one version of the game. In example, Hieachi, Link and Spawn in SC II. However, there is no excuse to ban said characters for the sole reason that they did not appear in the arcade version, for example Evil Ryu and Riot Iori in Capcom vs SNK 2.

A lot of this so called "Arcade Perfect" philosophy comes from lazy players who do not want to learn the match up, plain and simple. If a tournament advertises itself as a console tournament, and then imposes arcade like rules, would you say that it is hypocritical? I would say so.

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
You are horribly misinformed. Gill wasn't banned to keep the console tournaments arcade perfect, Gill was banned because of the same reason Akuma was banned. He doesn't function like any other character, warps the fundamentals of the game, and plays in a way that is functionally different than the rest of the cast.

With that said, I don't know anything about Soul Calibur so I can't speak about any bans pertaining to that series.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Same thing: trying to please everyone and pleasing nobody. Nobody will be pleased because they'll have ground to support their own thoughts and will ignore the proof of other thoughts, yet they will still argue that their version should be the final Unity version.
What if roughly everybody got what they wanted?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
What if roughly everybody got what they wanted?
It's not possible for everyone to get what they wanted and have a truly unified ruleset. Unified ruleset would require no variables form location to location: no matter where you go you know exactly what to expect without having to look at the rules. As it stands, rule sets range from crazy people who want Japan's supposed 3 stage ruleset to crazy NS's "have all of the stages ever" selection. And then there is of course that apparently 60% of tournaments either support or are neutral enough towards the MK ban to follow through with it, with 40% aren't.

It's not happening.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
So I hear MK is getting unbanned and the japanese ruleset is becoming the norm.

So much for Brawl being taken seriously competitively.

*stretches*

Well here we go.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
This is false for the most part
2 things mentioned.

"This is false for the most part."

Yup still the same old URC. Here we go again.

I take that to mean the stage list is getting reduced once more to continue catering to the top tier characters.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I mean you can interpret it how you want to, but in theory the only changes are normative ones thus why it's 3.0 and not 2.2.

BSP

Smash Legend
Is the unity rule set still going to be aimed to encompass all tournaments, or is it going to be more of a national/international level tournament standard?

:phone:

BSP

Smash Legend
People can just stick to whatever they want to really

Which is why I think the recommended rule sets were good

A national standard would be nice though.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Wait so what's the difference between this ruleset and the last version?
There isn't anything listed in the change log and I'm too lazy to read the whole thing again.

Edit: Oh, the ruleset that's listed is still 2.0 ... nvm, derp.

Cruxis

Smash Lord

what was the ****ING point of banning MK for only like 4 ****ing months and then deciding to disband?

****ing worthless committee **** all of you do you know how unprofessional this looks? to make the huge decision to ban MK and then go back on it half a year later?

****in *****

infiniteV115

Smash Hero

what was the ****ING point of banning MK for only like 4 ****ing months and then deciding to disband?

****ing worthless committee **** all of you do you know how unprofessional this looks? to make the huge decision to ban MK and then go back on it half a year later?

****in *****
Dude, are you stupid?

You're supposed to censor dodge :troll:

Cruxis

Smash Lord
ill wait until this new ruleset comes out

if MK is unbanned i will **** any URC members i see IRL, PEPPER YOUR ****EN ANGUSES BECAUSE IM GOING IN DRY
didnt even get a chance to enjoy the ban and im not about to accept that ****

better stay the **** away from toronto i swear to god you ***** i swear on my moms life i will wreck your anuses come up me if u got the balls cheeky pricks see if u can step up lil ****en ******s, you *****es ill rip out your ****en intestines and then sell them in cairo so they can be grinded up and snorted by ****en dirty *** **** drug addicts that cant their high anymore from coke, and ill feed the rest of your ****en organs to the dirty ******* ****** street dogs that are constantly starved to **** with rabies

DEAD ****EN SERIOUS

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
What in the world is wrong with you.

Being serious for a video game is as dumb as dropping a crumb of Twinkies and raging over it.

Cruxis

Smash Lord
watch your comments son, ive been banned 2 times before this because the SBR government is corrupt and racist and has their priorities set wrong

BSP

Smash Legend
Only 5 infractions?
He was probably referring to the infraction points

Even if the Urc disbands, we're probably still going to see a split on MK legal and MK banned events. I mean, it exists now and MK is banned yet we re really split

Top Bottom