• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Good luck, Sonic!! It's a tough process, but you got this! You'll be a lot healthier when you are successful in quitting, both physically and mentally! :D

--

I'm feeling really bleh lately. Like, feeling completely backed into a corner.
I used to be so sure in my beliefs...then art school. Everyone is so radical, and it's like "WOAH CHILL OUT I DONT NEED YOU TO SHOVE YOUR BELIEFS IN MY FACE I WASNT EVEN TALKING TO YOU OR ANYONE JEEEEZ" ; x ;
Still getting used to college.
Being upset like this sucks, because it's really starting to get to me. My temper is flaring up, and I can't even enjoy christmas time, which is supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year :c I TAKE THAT VERY SERIOUSLY.

I just cant wait to go home for break, see my friends, family, and sleep in my own bed. I just want to relax and chill with my dog and go in the snow. AND DO CHRISTMAS STUFF. Wheres the cheeeeeeer?!

;____;

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
This time of year for college students tends to be like that.

Keep your head up Loki! Almost done.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Yeah, I've always hated the 1st 2 1/2 weeks of December while in college because I was always busy finishing up projects, getting ready for finals, decorating for Christmas, getting Christmas gifts, and other miscellaneous things. After school was over it felt soo good to be on break.

Just keep you head up Lokii, just like DtJ Jungle said.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Thanks guys : ) I'm certainly trying.
I'm thinking of calling some friends from back home tomorrow to catch up and calm down.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
When you do eventually get home for Christmas Loki you'll feel much better I'm sure.

Then you can relax and absorb the Christmas cheer!

Smash Master
Everything feels impossible. Getting out of bed after 12 hours is just as hard as growing several inches taller. I've gained like 20 pounds. Nothing's easy. I never feel like I accomplished anything. The other day I spent 3 hours to find a missing dollar sign. I need drugs, but I don't know when I'm going to get the motivation to create an appointment or how I'm going to convince the doctors that I need Xanax to live. The panic attacks / accompanying nausea are so harsh I've taken to stabbing myself or biting the back of my hand if I'm at work until that's all I can feel.

I feel like this is it. This is how happy I've been for the last decade, and it's just going to be that way forever. I'll never be able to relax. There will always be a pit of oblivion nipping at my heels. Like one small screw-up is the end of me. Like changing careers is a synonym for shivering on the street wrapped in newspapers. Of course, if I didn't have that fear, I'd prolly be able to do this job a lot easier, so I wouldn't have to.

Smash Master
I changed something, everything's fubar'd. I changed it back. Everything's still fubar'd. This is not possible. Yet, it is. I think it's time for the insane asylum. My reality is inconsistent.

Pikaville

Everything feels impossible. Getting out of bed after 12 hours is just as hard as growing several inches taller. I've gained like 20 pounds. Nothing's easy. I never feel like I accomplished anything. The other day I spent 3 hours to find a missing dollar sign. I need drugs, but I don't know when I'm going to get the motivation to create an appointment or how I'm going to convince the doctors that I need Xanax to live. The panic attacks / accompanying nausea are so harsh I've taken to stabbing myself or biting the back of my hand if I'm at work until that's all I can feel.

I feel like this is it. This is how happy I've been for the last decade, and it's just going to be that way forever. I'll never be able to relax. There will always be a pit of oblivion nipping at my heels. Like one small screw-up is the end of me. Like changing careers is a synonym for shivering on the street wrapped in newspapers. Of course, if I didn't have that fear, I'd prolly be able to do this job a lot easier, so I wouldn't have to.
What you need to do is stop caring so much.

You are making life harder than it has to be by worrying about the smallest of things.

The panic attacks though, how do they usually start?

Just from anything stressful?

Pikaville

"The solution to anxiety is to stop having anxiety." -_-
Any of my friends who have stress related problems almost always bring it on themselves by over reacting to situations or over focusing on the worse outcome of their actions.

Every once in a while you just have to say "If I **** it up it doesn't matter THAT much"

I mean look at politicians.

The constantly **** up and nobody really cares.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Learning disabled? Come on, just study an hour or two a night. Not that hard.

Insomnia, pfft yeah me too, I played video games til like 2am last night!

I don't get how people can stutter, you just say one word at a time.

I wish people with depression would just cheer the hell up

Pikaville

Learning disabled? Come on, just study an hour or two a night. Not that hard.

Insomnia, pfft yeah me too, I played video games til like 2am last night!

I don't get how people can stutter, you just say one word at a time.

I wish people with depression would just cheer the hell up
Is that sarcasm I detect?

Smash Master
Any of my friends who have stress related problems almost always bring it on themselves by over reacting to situations or over focusing on the worse outcome of their actions.

Every once in a while you just have to say "If I **** it up it doesn't matter THAT much"

The best way to relate is really to compare it to getting taller. Altering brain chemistry is just not something you can do without chemical assistance. In this case, overreacting = being short. I know I'm overreacting. The awareness isn't helpful. I can't just 'stop doing that.'

The train of thought basically goes: Screw up at my job -> lose my job -> lose my money -> can't afford food and shelter -> starve to death on the street. So yeah, it really does matter THAT much. If I could guarantee myself something to eat, a place to sleep, and a working internet connection, I'd be all set. But I can't. I honestly don't know how I'm going to survive if I don't GET BACK TO WORK AND DO EVERYTHING FAST AND PERFECT AAAAAAGH, which ironically makes it impossible to do anything fast and perfect.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

That's cool, but it doesn't change the fact that things like depression, anxiety and many other emotional problems are results of chemical imbalances in the brain and are not just willed out of existence.

Pikaville

That's cool, but it doesn't change the fact that things like depression, anxiety and many other emotional problems are results of chemical imbalances in the brain and are not just willed out of existence.
I got over depression without the aid of anything except my will to make things better for myself.

I don't know though.

Each to their own.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So my grandmother had just had the genius idea of putting a roll of bread in the microwave... for a ****in' minute! I hear the smoke detector go off, so I exit my bedroom and smoke literally fogged up the entire apartment. Then the fire alarm for the entire building go off, all the while, I try my damnedest to rid the apartment of smoke. Then the firefighters bust in (not literally), expecting to see a fire, and that's when I had to tell them the embarrassing story of my grandmother going kamikaze on the bread roll. Proof my grandmother cannot live by herself, but goddamn, I was in the same apartment at the time, so what the hell does that say?! :glare:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You got one powerful microwave.

I put my rolls in for 30 seconds and they come out soft and warm. I can't imagine 30 more seconds smoking up my house

Pikaville

Yes, and some people have growth spurts. No such thing as will.
Do you really believe there is no such thing as will?

If so, how do you reckon you go on doing what you do?

Considering how stressfull life seems to be for you.

Just to clarify, I am just genuinely interested, not attacking you or anything.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
I think what he might be getting at is that depression is a serious medical condition basically characterized by an inability to consciously "will" oneself out of it.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Do you really believe there is no such thing as will?

If so, how do you reckon you go on doing what you do?

Considering how stressfull life seems to be for you.

Just to clarify, I am just genuinely interested, not attacking you or anything.
There is a will, but willing yourself out of chemical depression or anxiety without medication is like willing yourself out of a coma.

Pikaville

Is it really that rare a thing that people can get over depression without medication?

I can understand that depression crushes your motivation to do almost anything, because it sure did to me.

Well my motivation was the fact that my doctor told me I'd have to spend the rest of my life on multiple pills.

So I said **** that.

Sometimes you just gotta start accepting that life isn't gonna be exactly how you wanted it to be.

That's where I started and it got easier from there.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Okay?

Different people are different and things affect them differently. I hate to be so repetitive but it's like you aren't understanding the basic concept that people are different and some of them cannot reasonably function in day to day life. It's great that you "said **** that" and just wished yourself into a different mindstate but many people can't do that.

And anxiety is not the same thing as depression. 1048576 is clearly describing extreme anxiety. I was only putting them together because in many cases they are both things that many people don't have control over.

what you are talking about, perspective and personal life philosophy is different. You can't reason or conjecture yourself out of a panic attack.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The tip of my middle finger is sore and it makes typing really irritating.

Pikaville

Okay?

Different people are different and things affect them differently. I hate to be so repetitive but it's like you aren't understanding the basic concept that people are different and some of them cannot reasonably function in day to day life. It's great that you "said **** that" and just wished yourself into a different mindstate but many people can't do that.

And anxiety is not the same thing as depression. 1048576 is clearly describing extreme anxiety. I was only putting them together because in many cases they are both things that many people don't have control over.

what you are talking about, perspective and personal life philosophy is different. You can't reason or conjecture yourself out of a panic attack.
Oh no man, I totally understand what you are saying, but as usual I'm mostly just talking about myself/my personal experience.

That's all I can really do as far as advice goes, share what I did that worked for me.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
As a career alcoholic, it stuns me that people are so imbecilic that they'd get behind the wheel drunk.

Top Bottom